Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That’s horrible. Stay strong Czech goons (Choons?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: Actually screw that, I'm not going to spread the killer's views.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 21, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

anilEhilated posted:

e: Actually screw that, I'm not going to spread the killer's views.

i think that actually i can guess what they were

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Will this lead to stricter gun control laws? Or would Czechs flip their poo poo like Americans if the government tried that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We have a clique of political gun nuts but that's mostly because arms manufacturing is one of the bigger industries here. Couple years ago, there was a constitution amendment that guarantees "the right to defend one's life with firearm in hand is guaranteed within legal circumstances" which was really little less than a bone thrown to the gun lobby and a slap in the face to those eeeevil European bureaucrats.

That being said, change is pretty unlikely - there's a pretty strong anti-EU current in the opposition that would immediately jump on the "one isolated case" being used as an excuse to cull their civil liberties so gun control is a pretty iffy political move.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How is the average gun ownership like?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
In Poland recently a man shot two police officers using a black powder gun (presumably a revolver). These are the only kind of traditional firearm you can walk into a store and buy.

They're not often used in crimes and still less often in murders. For obvious reasons. (And for those same reasons they're not the best tool to depend yourself with.)

I think some are calling for them to be restricted or even banned now that this has happened, but no idea how many and of they're politicians or public safety experts or just people who dislike guns to start with.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Antigravitas posted:

I only know Czechia for their sub-par beer
:wrong:

Czech food and beer are both excellent.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When I was in Czechia as a kid twenty years ago the tour guide said the best Czech beer wasn't a pilsner at all but a brown ale microbrewed and served in a huge hall that sat hundreds of people at tables and long, long counters. Well, I was a literal child and it was several times more expensive than other Prague bar (so maybe the guide got a kickback?) but it was definitely delicious and if you want what I am referring to lemme know so I can recommend it to people when they go for conferences at CPU.

(It may have been on the outskirts or slightly outside the city.)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

steinrokkan posted:

Cool, a gunman just killed ten people in downtown Prague. Thank you for exporting your awesome culture, America.

Apparently he was inspired by a Russian girl.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'd like to hear this motive. Because all the main news sources say it's still a mystery, as of the last few hours.

Don't say their name. But I don't think it's wrong to give why they did it. I should hope nobody here is going to be inspired by learning it was X or Y reason. And it's good to know why people are murdering each other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The name is known, the police had released a fugitive alert (or whatever it's called) shortly before the shooting with the shooter's identity, they even evacuated the University building where they thought he would attack minutes before the shooting started - but he went to another building five minutes away instead. There are also rumors the same guy was responsible for two prior murders of random people at a local forest.

It all points to general misanthropy spiraling until a suicidal breakdown, no coherent ideological motivation.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 22, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

szary posted:

Will this lead to stricter gun control laws? Or would Czechs flip their poo poo like Americans if the government tried that?

I am already seeing lot of "only way to stop bad guy with a gun" and "guns don't kill people" and similar stupidity, so I doubt it a lot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
One of the victims was lecturer of Finnish literature Jan Dlask, who died in hospital from his wounds. He was giving his lecture so presumably some of the victims were his students :(

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
We just went by about 450 trucks parked on the emergency lane of the last stretch of 4-lane highway before Užhorod / the Ukrainian border, bookended on both sides by the police. A lot of Ukrainian licence plates, but also a few Slovak and Austrian ones.I hope they don't have to spend the holidays there.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Antigravitas posted:

I only know Czechia for their sub-par beer

Pretty sure that a Germans opinion about food is irrelevant any day of the week. Especially with takes like these.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So. There was this Czech dude who was saying his country shouldn't allow Poles to enter without a visa. For the usual suspects when it came to reasons: the Polish are drunkards, hooligans, arrogant but uncultured jerks, and Russia supporters (this is a head-scratching claim I've heard from Lithuanians as well). But he also mentioned: that the food is terrible and he didn't want Czech cuisine to be influenced by this.

Now I am kinda sure that the Czech Republic does not have the autonomy to set visa requirements for any other country in the bloc. I am much more sure he way way off on the food thing.

wtf was he even talking about? That we up north sometimes (rarely) eat fish or waterfowl? That our schnitzel comes with some sauerkraut? Just don't eat it. It's often served on a separate plate anyways.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's this pervasive delusion in the czech republic that polish food, as in polish groceries (meat, wheat, potatoes, whatever), is cheap inferior garbage and that we must protect domestic producers of Honest FoodTM by boycotting imports of polish stuff. :ignorance:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The pro-Russian things goes back a bit. Soviets used Polish troops to invade and put down the ‘68 revolution.

Lithuania is a bit more of a headscratcher, but I guess it’s from Poland trying to capitalize on the post-WWI chaos and invading half of Lithuania it considered Polish, and that would put us in league with Russia as Lithuania’s enemies?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

True, true forgot about '68

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

There's this pervasive delusion in country/region X that country/region Y food, as in country/region Y groceries (meat, wheat, potatoes, whatever), is cheap inferior garbage and that we must protect domestic producers of Honest FoodTM by boycotting imports of country/region Y stuff. :ignorance:

Pretty much.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

Lithuania is a bit more of a headscratcher, but I guess it’s from Poland trying to capitalize on the post-WWI chaos and invading half of Lithuania it considered Polish, and that would put us in league with Russia as Lithuania’s enemies?

Speaking to some Lithuanian folks is wild because their view of history can be diametrically different than what we're taught.

So about that Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, a golden age huh? 'Oh do you mean the humiliating occupation of Lithuania by Poland forced on us by the use of Polonised Lithuanian elites to sell out their own people and culture leading to our nadir lower even than the occupation by the Soviets?'

Okay but Jogaila, right? 'Ah but he was actually the younger son and had no right to the throne that's why he married a little Slavic girl, to steal what was rightfully his actually older brother's. The textbooks cover this up.'

I'm not sure how prevalent it is but I've encountered it from maybe 1/5 of the Lithuanians I've met in Poland. Even very educated ones.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Our big dumb idiot vetoed the budget adjustment, because he found it wholly unsuitable to assign approx. 0.75 bln euro to fund state tv in light of the constitutional crisis surrounding it.

Record scratch, freeze frame, you may be wondering how we got here?

Well just a few days ago when Tusk and co. voted for this adjustment everyone made an about face because it was one of the pillars of oppositions message to stop massive funding of state TV. No one knew why they did a 180 on it; then Tusk went on twitter to say „not to worry we’ll amend the budget mid next year and tvp will get nothing”. Uh ok? Why include this then?

Is it that our big dumb idiot can veto it?

And so it goes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Meet the new PM, same as the old PM

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I still wouldn’t put Tusk in the same line as Jaro “Smoleńsk, kurwa!” Kaczynski

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Give him some time!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Wesołych Świąt everyone, hope the carp was good!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wesołych Świąt, Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku guny. Can’t say these are all that good this year, with Covid taking us down and other poo poo being less than stellar. But! Wr welcomed our boy to the world this year and he’s a gift, so just need to power through I recon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Veselé (opožděně) Vánoce a šťastný nový rok everybody, may it be better than this one.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Wesołych świąt. I can barely stand up from holiday eating.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

steinrokkan posted:

There's this pervasive delusion in the czech republic that polish food, as in polish groceries (meat, wheat, potatoes, whatever), is cheap inferior garbage and that we must protect domestic producers of Honest FoodTM by boycotting imports of polish stuff. :ignorance:

Polish produce is pretty good, by my standards at least. Polish cuisine leaves a lot to be desired. (I may be biased since it's christmas season and polish christmas food is borderline inedible)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It comes from couple news stories about e.g. butter with road salt, and similar quality products exported to Czechia. I don't remember seeing any in years tho

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Given how expensive salted butter is I wouldn't think we'd waste such delicacies on exports

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xarn posted:

It comes from couple news stories about e.g. butter with road salt, and similar quality products exported to Czechia. I don't remember seeing any in years tho

Adding butter to road salt does feel counter productive when it comes to making roads non-slippery, yes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of being pointlessly cheap, is it just my post-industrial city where half the places to eat turn their fridges off anytime other than July?

Back when my neuroses were less controlled I'd ask why they do that if it was the owner working and they'd either say I should look into the price of electricity these days (which I won't so fair) or that Polish people prefer their soda/iced tea/juice/beer etc. warm (which I doubt).

I have at least two friends that refuse to eat where they do this. Their patronage alone is probably what the cost to run the fridge for a month would cost.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bright Bart posted:

Polish people prefer their soda/iced tea/juice/beer etc. warm (which I doubt).

This is real enough for me to know multiple people and family members who are like that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Adding butter to road salt does feel counter productive when it comes to making roads non-slippery, yes.

Makes total sense when you also remember the screen doors on submarines though

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

When I was a kid in the 80s the only time you’d see a chilled soda would be during high summer in the touristy places (sometimes!) or during winter when poo poo froze all over.

I guess having drinks chilled is just not a necessity, and also I have a feeling it wasn’t that hard to get a chilled soda in the summer as it is now. My downtown Carrefour has a single small drink fridge, while 90% of the drinks inventory sits on the shelves. Coca-cola used to have two-winged fridges in every store and now I just don’t see them anymore.

This is in stark contrast to Berlin where you can go into any Tabakwaren or Bakerei and get chilled drinks any time of the year.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh, also like last year or something there was this heavily modded X3 fan-made thing that got an official release, anyone remeber and gave it a spin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's good, but made for and by X grognards.

The problem is that it's really hard to go back to X3 if you've spent time with X4…