Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

KillHour posted:

Could you give an example of a way that they can overturn the ruling without hearing the case?

Trump was never tried and found guilty of engaging in insurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SaTaMaS posted:

That isn’t an explicit requirement for disqualification, and making it one would have potential ramifications down the line and potentially limit the judiciary ability to make findings of fact, which SCOTUS would probably like to avoid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That isn’t an explicit requirement for disqualification, and making it one would have potential ramifications down the line and potentially limit the judiciary ability to make findings of fact, which SCOTUS would probably like to avoid.

And when it was used after the ACW it didn’t rely on convictions either, to my understanding.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Historical precedent is not the modern Supreme Court's thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SaTaMaS posted:

Neither were any of the confederates historically disqualified under the section.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How does the fact that Trump is on trial for insurrection weigh into all this? If the SC says he shouldn't be on the ballot, doesn't that mean they are considering him guilty of the crime he's being tried for?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Could be different levels of fact finding. Beyond a reasonable doubt for a criminal conviction, vs a preponderance of evidence for the removal from ballet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Rakeris posted:

Could be different levels of fact finding. Beyond a reasonable doubt for a criminal conviction, vs a preponderance of evidence for the removal from ballet.

I’m not making fun of the typo. Everyone does that and it’s normal and fine.

But imagining Trump getting booted off stage from a production of Swan Lake is pretty loving funny.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m not making fun of the typo. Everyone does that and it’s normal and fine.

But imagining Trump getting booted off stage from a production of Swan Lake is pretty loving funny.

Now I can't get that image out of my head.

But going back to what OP said about levels of fact, I can see that being a decent divider if the court goes that way.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

SaTaMaS posted:

The wording is "engaged in" not "charged or convicted with".

That's why this is all so stupid. We all know that he loving did it, we watched it live but because the entire Republican Party and electorate have decided to just straight up lie through their teeth we're having to go through this bullshit.

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

Not a word in there about conviction on any charge much less a specific one.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The people who made Disco Elysium would probably think the idea of making a game like that about Trump is completely missing the point of a game like that.

You don’t make it about Trump or the trial. You gotta abstract, and find the story people would connect with. You make the game about a working class woman in Chicago with a demented landlord, a landlord who has only gotten more insane as she works for a bipolar pop star and then a failed reactionary politician. You never meet the landlord in the game, but every weird complication in your life is made doubly difficult by the constant lurking of slimy journalists, political operatives, schizo internet types and the like showing up in your day to day because of things that don’t affect your life politically, but do gently caress up your attempt to just live in a society. The game is about the ripples of big things making small things happen, and trying to piece together what the big things could’ve even been, if you even care to do so.

Making a Disco Elysium game about this kind of trial specifically is like making a Call of Duty game that claims to represent the invasion of Grenada. Wrong tool for the job.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

And when it was used after the ACW it didn’t rely on convictions either, to my understanding.

The problem is that for the most part, it wasn't used after the ACW. There's very few documented cases of the Insurrection Clause being successfully enforced.

Its usage was inconsistent, deeply affected by political concerns, and heavily impacted by the hostility of state governments and a number of frankly bonkers judicial rulings. Most known attempts simply got tied up in the courts long enough to delay a ruling until terms ran out or amnesties got issued, rendering the cases moot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just got an alert on the Reuters newswire that Rudy filed for bankruptcy.

Don't see any articles up on it yet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just got an alert on the Reuters newswire that Rudy filed for bankruptcy.

Don't see any articles up on it yet.

That’s not going to protect him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Found an article/public confirmation:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1737888852667248683

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cimber posted:

Now I can't get that image out of my head.
Look at those thighs. Just perfect.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Non-paywalled link for bankruptcy story: https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/21/politics/rudy-giuliani-declares-bankruptcy/index.html

The two plaintiffs should hire a debt-collection agency to hound Giuliani all day and night, like would happen to a normal person.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is there anyone who hasn't hitched their wagon to Trump who hasn't gotten screwed massively? Jesus, Rudy used to be on top of the world, now look how far he's fallen.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

Is there anyone who hasn't hitched their wagon to Trump who hasn't gotten screwed massively? Jesus, Rudy used to be on top of the world, now look how far he's fallen.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Haley is the only one I can think of who managed to work at a high level in the Trump admin and not get brought low due to it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cimber posted:

It's been often observed that literally every single person who has business dealings with Trump ends up worse off (often much worse off) for having done so.

And yet people are still lining up to do business with him. "I'm not like all those other people who shook Donald Trump's hand and were ruined for it, they were all suckers and not smart like me."

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Haley is the only one I can think of who managed to work at a high level in the Trump admin and not get brought low due to it.

She’s fighting for scraps on a stage with a guy who is suicide bombing the front runner, an anti-charismatic torture freak and the world’s most annoying try-hard Trump dickrider, and won’t win anything for it. She’s a loser too.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

selec posted:

She’s fighting for scraps on a stage with a guy who is suicide bombing the front runner, an anti-charismatic torture freak and the world’s most annoying try-hard Trump dickrider, and won’t win anything for it. She’s a loser too.

She might be the VP nominee.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Cimber posted:

She might be the VP nominee.

This feels less realistic than Biden kicking it and somehow Bernie becomes the ‘24 Dem nominee

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Look at those thighs. Just perfect.

Wanna lick Ketchup and well done steak gristle off of them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nervous posted:

A cursed post

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nervous posted:

Too long for a thread title or…?

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

selec posted:

This feels less realistic than Biden kicking it and somehow Bernie becomes the ‘24 Dem nominee

Yeah Trump doesn’t need to pick a safe choice this time, who may not be 100% on the trump train. He gets to go with the craziest motherfucker who pleads absolute loyalty to him.

You’ll get an MTG or a Kari Lake long before you get a Haley

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Trump is gonna pick Ivanka as his vp this time.
Haley is a republican so she's a loser at life sure but she's managing to position herself as the default backup choice for the party which is a big accomplishment especially considering how many others have tried and failed to take that spot

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Too long for a thread title or…?

No, its perfect

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Skex posted:

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

It's a hilarious notion that they obviously meant the amendment to encompass every possible permutation of Office-holder (a more modern version of the term "officer",) but somehow left an air bud type loophole for people who are not technically "officers" according to a modern interpretation of an archaic usage of the term.

The officer loophole is obviously at odds with the spirit of the law, but I guess this wouldn't be the first time that archaic language was intentionally misinterpreted to serve a specific agenda.

A running problem with old-timey legalese is that people back then had the affectation to write everything in as flowery and verbose language as possible, despite it constantly opening the door to unwanted interpretation.
Also everyone back then was drunk 100% of the time, so there's that.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 21, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Svaha posted:

It's a hilarious notion that they obviously meant the amendment to encompass every possible permutation of Office-holder (a more modern version of the term "officer",) but somehow left an air bud type loophole for people who are not technically "officers" according to a modern interpretation of an archaic usage of the term.

The officer loophole is obviously at odds with the spirit of the law, but I guess this wouldn't be the first time that archaic language was intentionally misinterpreted to serve a specific agenda.

I mean, the whole 'well regulated militia' part is defined as being just a reasoning for the 2nd, not being a requirement. Even though we know they considered it a requirement at the time and no other amendment has a reasoning clause.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Cimber posted:

I mean, the whole 'well regulated militia' part is defined as being just a reasoning for the 2nd, not being a requirement. Even though we know they considered it a requirement at the time and no other amendment has a reasoning clause.
I was definitely thinking of that, yes.

You could easily boil all that down to something which hit all the relevant points without being prone to misinterpretation.
Again, the people who wrote it were drunk and incredibly self impressed with their own ability to write things.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Didn't Madison famously write the whole thing in a weekend?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mdemone posted:

Didn't Madison famously write the whole thing in a weekend?

That's the constitution itself. The bill of rights was based on George Mason's declaration of rights or whatever he initially called it. Then they argued a bunch, with the usual bike shedding and petty bickering.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

It really is a fine example of why you should always include a section defining all the terms you are using and whom they apply to. No one should ever deify a text, because language changes, and thus the meaning of the text changes in the popular interpretation of it in opposition to the intent.

If you have to go down a rabbit hole of reading ancient correspondence to discern how the law is supposed to be applied, something has gone very wrong.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

gregday posted:

That’s not going to protect him.

His "strategy" so far has mimicked Alex Jones pretty much step by step, so it's not surprising he's doing this as next move even though it's destined to fail.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FMguru posted:

It's been often observed that literally every single person who has business dealings with Trump ends up worse off (often much worse off) for having done so.

And yet people are still lining up to do business with him. "I'm not like all those other people who shook Donald Trump's hand and were ruined for it, they were all suckers and not smart like me."

I think its 1 of 2 things: because they see all the slack jawed idiots he is able to grift and lack imagination or social skills to pull it off the same way so they think that if they just suck up to him they'll be able to ride his coattails to richdom.

OR they think they're Frank Underwood and THEY'LL be the ones to be the puppet master of Trump unlike all those other fools.

Everyone who has been around Trump for a while knows either of these 2 things is BS (Trump is gonna Trump) but hope springs eternal with these fuckwads I guess.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think its 1 of 2 things: because they see all the slack jawed idiots he is able to grift and lack imagination or social skills to pull it off the same way so they think that if they just suck up to him they'll be able to ride his coattails to richdom.

OR they think they're Frank Underwood and THEY'LL be the ones to be the puppet master of Trump unlike all those other fools.

Everyone who has been around Trump for a while knows either of these 2 things is BS (Trump is gonna Trump) but hope springs eternal with these fuckwads I guess.
Trump having Trumped for this long is probably only possible because wealthy people love to disappear completely up their own assholes about how they deserve all this money extracted from surplus labor because they're the smartest person ever. I for one support the Notch method of being a rich miserable sack of poo poo: strike it hot once and get out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I've long suspected that every single person who meets Trump is struck by how profoundly stupid he is in person, and that Trump is a dumb fool who will be easy to manipulate to their benefit ("Surely, I can handle and/or get over on this idiot"), so much so that it overrides their caution and their willingness to look at the track record of literally every single other person who has done business with Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Svaha posted:

It really is a fine example of why you should always include a section defining all the terms you are using and whom they apply to. No one should ever deify a text, because language changes, and thus the meaning of the text changes in the popular interpretation of it in opposition to the intent.

If you have to go down a rabbit hole of reading ancient correspondence to discern how the law is supposed to be applied, something has gone very wrong.

Wasn't the original expectation/intent that there'd be a lot of revision, that the Constitution would be a living document? Beyond just constitutional conventions and such, I think I remember reading discussion about making a recurring meeting set every 20 years so people would have a chance to adjust things every generation.

Instead we get textualism and originalist idiocies and an ossified sanctified document for them to interpret