Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Thundarr posted:

Supposedly you can get him mad by picking up his mom and taunting him via dialog, but the last time I was there it was impossible to reach even with enlarged characters or Mage Hand.

Yeah, I couldn't grab the jar last time I played that part, but it's been awhile. I thought it would be funny if Karlach threw it at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AgentHaiTo posted:

I love that guy. He is so comically evil and his voice actor was so good. That little comment about his mother being back there on the shelf lol. I wish we had more interactions with him.

I just fought him last night in his lab and the dialogue leading up to it was this glorious smug-off between him and my Wizard PC, I loved it enough to even be okay with having to burn half my spell slots countering his various bullshit since that was On Theme

(didn't have an L5 slot to counter Cloudkill, but since I'm playing a Bladesinger with Misty Step available I just teleported past his meat shields and into his face so he dropped Cloudkill on me instead of the whole party, and then had Lae'zel do precisely the same thing after he moved out of the cloud and smash his face in with a greatsword).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only problem with killing Balthazar early is that you can't polymorph him before this cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XTPZQ0PGJg

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Quick question: Does BOOOAL's blessing work for spells or just ranged/melee? Trying to sort out who I should have in my party other than the sacrificee.

Also, found a bug that killed my HM run. Don't try to resurrect the husband with bitter divorce again after killing him from the first resurrection. Game locks with no characters able to take actions and you just look at eachother waiting for the battle to begin. I STUPIDLY quit instead of killing the task saving my run in that loop.

I'm making a backup of the save folder before playing each day just so I have a point to rollback to if a future bug hits.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Can you sacrifice a hireling?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Black Noise posted:

Can you sacrifice a hireling?

Internet says no

e: I'm going to be raiding the grove shortly so giving up Wyll will be a non-impact

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 21, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Got a really weird bug just now, after grabbing the Orphic Hammer from the House of Hope I go meet Voss in the sewers and during the cutscene, the Emperor is standing right there, blocking the camera.
No one of course notices him as they are discussing how to betray him. I had this scene play out at least once and it did not happen then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

First two acts down in Honor Mode, hit Level 10 just as I was fighting Ketheric. I made a whole bunch of mistakes and didn't really read up on his legendary action beforehand so I ended up making the fight so much harder for myself. But I eventually pulled it out, thank you Mama K. I was disappointed to find out that you can't save Isobel even if you don't attack her at all during the Ketheric fight, she just autodies after he goes down.

There aren't any parts in BG3 that I actively dislike playing but that post-Act 2 epilogue is probably the single dullest stretch of the game for me. My MC ate too many tadpoles to resist becoming half-illithid so now I'm an even uglier githyanki that can fly! I'm sure Lae'zel won't mind. Respecced to 5/5 Sorcadin so now I get TWIN HASTE and BIG SMITES. Astarion got caught picking a lock so I had to sneak him out of prison. I don't know if I can even do House of Grief with Shadowheart dead but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!

Yeah early Act3 really kills my will to play sometimes. I hate Rivington.

Once I get into BG proper and start doing a few quests I recover the will to play but that early Act 3 stretch is blah

That also happens to be where I'm at right now lol. Gotta recover the will and plow through it

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 21, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You can basically just skip Rivington. I go and get my statue and deal with the Djinn but then I just head to the next area.

The nice thing about Act 3 is that you can just do the cool parts since you'll be at level 12 really quickly anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always go right to the Circus, awesome spear weapon for Karlach and you get to commit violence against clowns.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ChronoReverse posted:

You can basically just skip Rivington. I go and get my statue and deal with the Djinn but then I just head to the next area.

The nice thing about Act 3 is that you can just do the cool parts since you'll be at level 12 really quickly anyway.

That makes me curious, are there any unique lines if you just run directly to the temple of Bhaal, avoiding all of the NPCs that can be Orin in disguise so it's your first encounter with her? I feel like she'd be kind of freaked out by somebody that's better at her schtick than she is.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This gith bridge fight can gently caress right off,think i’m done with this game until i upgrade my computer or they fix the game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thundarr posted:

That makes me curious, are there any unique lines if you just run directly to the temple of Bhaal, avoiding all of the NPCs that can be Orin in disguise so it's your first encounter with her? I feel like she'd be kind of freaked out by somebody that's better at her schtick than she is.

Nope.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So Oathbreakers can control Karniss as a shadow undead, and it's the best. I always wanted an undead drider following me around!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Act 3 Spoiler (Szarr Palace):

Just fought Cazador on Tactician. I played all the way through Acts 1 and 2 on Balanced, so after the initial difficulty hump I never really saw any challenging fights. This was a tough loving fight. I didn’t throw enough adds off the edge so had to burst them all down, I didn’t understand the rune mechanic fast enough so I kept giving him temp HP. The werewolves that can’t be harmed with physical damage are also extremely annoying.

I got three turns of Otto’s Irresistible dance on Cazador, some Silence, and some Frighten, which let me clean up every single add. Then I stepped on the runes to remove his HP regen and AC and just started to nuke him down, had Daylight ticking the entire time. What a fun loving fight. Holy poo poo. I want to go back and do it again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Steam Awards are live again. Baldur's Gate 3 is a shoo-in for Game of the Year, as far as I'm concerned. The only other nominee I've played is Hogwarts Legacy, and that was just a boring game.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Is the owlbear supposed to be in your camp after you've chased him or does he get lost somewhere else. I can't tell cos some of the other npcs on my file are a bit broken lol

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is the owlbear supposed to be in your camp after you've chased him or does he get lost somewhere else. I can't tell cos some of the other npcs on my file are a bit broken lol

If you freed him from the goblins and gave him the scent to get to your camp he will show up after some long rests if you are camped outside. If you have a lot of other cutscenes saved up you might just need to grind through them (just do a long rest without using supplies on repeat until you run out of events) before his takes priority. You do need to free him from the goblins and give him the scent to find your camp, not just chase him!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah I did do that, I just have loads of cutscenes saved up cos I got too many hos.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

space uncle posted:

Act 3 Spoiler (Szarr Palace)

Is Victoria’s corpse still broken? You should be able to speak with dead to it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Black Noise posted:

Is Victoria’s corpse still broken? You should be able to speak with dead to it.

I was too lazy to leave and get someone who could cast Remove Curse on her so I didn’t try speaking with the corpse. Does that significantly change the fight?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

No it’s just spawn backstory.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Phlegmish posted:

Steam Awards are live again. Baldur's Gate 3 is a shoo-in for Game of the Year, as far as I'm concerned. The only other nominee I've played is Hogwarts Legacy, and that was just a boring game.

I was willing to give legacy a try but holy poo poo yeah it's just not interesting. BG3 is going to kill it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BG3 has the dual advantage of being one of the most phenomenal video games ever put to print and also not being weighed down by the rot-ridden reputation of the terfmaster general, so it's an easy choice to make

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
No big buff lady no vote

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

BG3 has the dual advantage of being one of the most phenomenal video games ever put to print and also not being weighed down by the rot-ridden reputation of the terfmaster general, so it's an easy choice to make

Baldurs Gate probably doesn't want to campaign on "Our licensor isn't a horrible monster" card.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
On my first playthrough at the moment after picking this up for Xbox a couple weeks back. 30 hours in and I'm nearly level 5, about to start on the Underdark - having a great time so far.

Question though: when does default Astarion's combat get interesting? I haven't respecced him, but it seems like all he can do is standard/surprise melee attack, and standard/surprise ranged attack - am I missing something? I only just got his long rest scene, so he's picked up another ability I haven't had a chance to use yet, but it still seems a bit boring?

I'm running an evo wizard as my PC, battlemaster Lae'zel, and Shadowheart as a life cleric (along with rogue Astarion). He's useful for lockpicking and stealing, and in combat he does decent damage .. but is just kinda boring? I tried to use Hide and then doing sneak attacks, but most of the time I get spotted anyway - again unless I'm doing something wrong.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Surprised this hasn't been posted already.
https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1737880615314469144

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

webmeister posted:

On my first playthrough at the moment after picking this up for Xbox a couple weeks back. 30 hours in and I'm nearly level 5, about to start on the Underdark - having a great time so far.

Question though: when does default Astarion's combat get interesting? I haven't respecced him, but it seems like all he can do is standard/surprise melee attack, and standard/surprise ranged attack - am I missing something? I only just got his long rest scene, so he's picked up another ability I haven't had a chance to use yet, but it still seems a bit boring?

I'm running an evo wizard as my PC, battlemaster Lae'zel, and Shadowheart as a life cleric (along with rogue Astarion). He's useful for lockpicking and stealing, and in combat he does decent damage .. but is just kinda boring? I tried to use Hide and then doing sneak attacks, but most of the time I get spotted anyway - again unless I'm doing something wrong.

I made sure to spec him into Thief to get an extra bonus attack, I didn’t think Assassin looked that exciting but a lot of people talk about Gloomstalker Assassin.

But I agree with you I’m not sure if he’s that exciting, not a lot of options. I think he really needs someone in the party dedicated to getting him advantage against targets so he can always sneak attack. So someone has to always Prone/Paralyze or something like that because like you said, sneak will often fail you.

I usually did not bring him but he’s been really helpful in Act 3 as there’s tons of locked poo poo and he has a lot more story importance.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's because nobody looks at Twitter anymore.

But that was worth it. I hope they keep putting things like this out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Astarion can be a dps machine with dual hand crossbows + Sharpshooter talent. He can get his sneak attacks in and then also get the extra damage from Sharpshooter. And he can get two shots in to boot.

If you can set him up with advantage he can absolutely truck. And with advantage the accuracy malus from Sharpshooter matters less.

He can do fine melee dps as well but I feel like a ranged build with him can be quite lethal

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Moon Slayer posted:

But that was worth it. I hope they keep putting things like this out.

Hopefully on youtube too, so we don't have to go to twitter

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Moon Slayer posted:

I literally only found it because it was reposted by someone on youtube, and it hadn't actually been posted on either Larian or the animators channel. Silly buggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqc7xwuvLM

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

webmeister posted:

At some point fairly soon you’ll get a ring that will let someone basically have permanent advantage on attacks, so if you give that to Astarion he’ll be able to sneak attack every turn. But yes, your options for a single class rogue are either extra damage turn 1, or go thief and dual wield (thieves have an extra bonus action so they get to attack twice with offhand.)

There’s nothing wrong with either of those, but personally I’m a big fan of not just having a level 12 rogue - as you’ve seen it’s a little bit bland. If you want to spice him up, you could give him 5 levels of fighter - he’ll get to pick a fighting style which will bolster his combat ability, he’ll get action surge, and he’ll get an extra main hand attack at level 5 (I’d probably respec when you hit level 6 so that you’ve got the fighter levels first)

Or double down on the stealthy ambush stuff and give him 5 levels of gloomstalker ranger instead.

Or make him a swords bard - more interesting stuff to do in combat and he can still handle all the lockpicking and traps.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 22, 2023

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Am I missing something here?

I have the amulet of speak with dead. I speak with one dead person. From that point on, almost every dead person has a green glow and I have the condition “recast speak with dead”. I cannot, in fact, recast speak with dead.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Trevor Hale posted:

Am I missing something here?

I have the amulet of speak with dead. I speak with one dead person. From that point on, almost every dead person has a green glow and I have the condition “recast speak with dead”. I cannot, in fact, recast speak with dead.

Look at your side bar to the right

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
I've just hit level 4 in Act 1 and my party feels kind of terrible and I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong. I've got a Dwarf Barbarian, Wood Elf Sorcerer, Wyll as Warlock and Shadowheart as Cleric, but it feels like combat is just... not great? Everyone has low AC and so we get hit constantly, which tends to tie up Shadowheart burning spells on healing all the time instead of being able to provide buffs, the Sorcerer does reasonably well despite being made of paper but doesn't have enough spell slots so tends to be just throwing cantrips for 1d10, Eldrich Blast on Wyll is decent but he's made of paper and the Barbarian seems to only really be able to throw or swing and not a lot else.

Since I tend to only be ~70% to hit and enemies are about 80% to hit me it's always a losing proposition to just throw dice and throwing dice is just boring. I can't really find ways to get advantage to get my numbers up and my backline don't have enough HP to survive more than 2-3 hits which can often happen in the first round of combat. My heart tells me I need better gear, but the only vendor I know of is the druid in the grove and he doesn't have all that much that would seem to help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm barely making it through 1 fight a long rest and can't beat several fights like the Karloch's paladins and harpies.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

shalcar posted:

I've just hit level 4 in Act 1 and my party feels kind of terrible and I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong. I've got a Dwarf Barbarian, Wood Elf Sorcerer, Wyll as Warlock and Shadowheart as Cleric, but it feels like combat is just... not great? Everyone has low AC and so we get hit constantly, which tends to tie up Shadowheart burning spells on healing all the time instead of being able to provide buffs, the Sorcerer does reasonably well despite being made of paper but doesn't have enough spell slots so tends to be just throwing cantrips for 1d10, Eldrich Blast on Wyll is decent but he's made of paper and the Barbarian seems to only really be able to throw or swing and not a lot else.

Since I tend to only be ~70% to hit and enemies are about 80% to hit me it's always a losing proposition to just throw dice and throwing dice is just boring. I can't really find ways to get advantage to get my numbers up and my backline don't have enough HP to survive more than 2-3 hits which can often happen in the first round of combat. My heart tells me I need better gear, but the only vendor I know of is the druid in the grove and he doesn't have all that much that would seem to help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm barely making it through 1 fight a long rest and can't beat several fights like the Karloch's paladins and harpies.

Have you tried using bless, for starters? Are you using everyone's best armors? Are you scoping out good places for your party to be out of harms way before initiating combat? Are you attacking your enemies in advance of them noticing you?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

shalcar posted:

The secret to winning isn’t hitting the enemies, it’s making them waste their turns and then hitting them. Grease, hideous laughter, hold person, ice knife, web, command, and enraged throw are the best spells in the early game to do this. That’s how I’ve been getting through honour mode and I’m extremely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Mr. Lobe posted:

Have you tried using bless, for starters? Are you using everyone's best armors? Are you scoping out good places for your party to be out of harms way before initiating combat? Are you attacking your enemies in advance of them noticing you?

I tend not to be able to get Bless off because there tends to be too much incoming damage on a low hp character (Warlock or Soc) and they won't survive a round without healing of some description, enemies seem to get much higher initiative than my party on a pretty regular basis.

I've got Shadowheart in Ring Mail with a Shield (and she does all right, tankwise), the Barbarian in Studded Leather (and he takes damage but has a big HP pool so it's all right), Wyll in Padded Armour and the Sorcerer in Robes. Wyll and the Sorc tend to get killed in the opening rounds.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The secret to winning isn’t hitting the enemies, it’s making them waste their turns and then hitting them. Grease, hideous laughter, hold person, ice knife, web, command, and enraged throw are the best spells in the early game to do this. That’s how I’ve been getting through honour mode and I’m extremely stupid.

Ok, this makes a lot of sense and it's nice to have a list of things that actually do that because I'm trying to work with the environment like Divinity Original Sin 2 and BG3 seems significantly more limited with the opportunity cost being much higher (Want to make water? That's one of your 3 spells per rest!) and with there just being a bunch less stuff on the battlefield. I'm also seeing that of your list I can only get a couple of them with my current party composition so maybe my comp is just flat out bad.