Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I guess a new thing is to have characters perform lovely out-of-character stand-up routines. Pretty sure they did something like that with Mr. Burns recently too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
simpsons characters dont have personalities anymore they're just archetypes that say words

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

JediTalentAgent posted:

Homer dances out of the room, singing a badly remembered version of the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" using Pocono, Benihana, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Going on sarcastic rant about social trends is what a real-life 30-something Homer would do.

Grandpa Simpson could probably do the same long winded rant about destination weddings and it might work better, but you'd also end it with him going, "Destination wedding? What's that?"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I guess a new thing is to have characters perform lovely out-of-character stand-up routines. Pretty sure they did something like that with Mr. Burns recently too.

The Last Temptation of Krust was pretty bad especially for S9, especially the idea of Jay Leno being the standard bearer for relevant comedy. But then the Canyonero ad is a series high point so I dunno land of contrasts.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Riptor posted:

why the gently caress were those orange slices drawn with that degree of detail

Because they drew one and copy pasted it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Everybody! Stop what you’re doing and watch this immediately!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQgTtXqRF4

YouTube recommended this to me and I’m glad it did. One guy animated the whole thing, and another guy did all the voice acting. Like, holy poo poo is this good! Those impersonations are really great. This has golden year Simpsons humor with lots of nods to the show.

Just get these two guys to continue the show, find a woman who is talented at Impersonating all the lady characters, and we will no longer have a lowest point of the show.

Also, that “in memory of” got me :(, but I’m sure Phil Hartman would approve of and love this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s a shame they never really had McClure and Hutz interact with each other in an episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus christ that was funny

I was dying old-time style at the Yellow Submarine bit

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You Are A Werewolf posted:

YouTube recommended this to me and I’m glad it did. One guy animated the whole thing, and another guy did all the voice acting. Like, holy poo poo is this good! Those impersonations are really great. This has golden year Simpsons humor with lots of nods to the show.

Just get these two guys to continue the show, find a woman who is talented at Impersonating all the lady characters, and we will no longer have a lowest point of the show.

Also, that “in memory of” got me :(, but I’m sure Phil Hartman would approve of and love this.

That was better than the last 15 years of the show combined. Some of those voices are also vastly better than what we have now, Krusty/Homer especially.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The first "EH. :downs:" of the surprise witness really got me.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Toxic Mental posted:

That was better than the last 15 years of the show combined. Some of those voices are also vastly better than what we have now, Krusty/Homer especially.

Closer to 25 years, but yeah. Holy makrel that animation has life.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
holy poo poo, Andrew Kepple. I remember him from back in the animutation days.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

It’s so full of life and inspiration, and the cocaine bit at the aquarium was where it really won me over. Also props for Homer’s speech, the Yellow Submarine bit, and… gently caress, basically all of it. It’s the highest compliment I can give to say that I stopped caring that it wasn’t Hartman in seconds.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I mean it was definitely better than anything the Simpsons have done in the past 20+ years, but it still had several recycled Simpsons gags, and golden era Simpsons almost never used licensed music or even existing pieces ( night on bald mountain). That was a hallmark of seasons 10 and onwards. Now I'm willing to forgive the inability of the Creator to write his own music or arrangements like Alf Clausen, but still, that really stuck out to me and if it had been me I would have just not used those bits at all.

Simpsons characters also rarely "know" each other, so it's weird for Krusty to mention knowing McClure. Krusty in particular never remembers anyone, that was a running gag that he never knew who bart was.

The animation style is a little off putting to me, the voice acting is unfortunately in the uncanny valley of close-but-not-quite, though I will admit it's way better than what the actors themselves can do these days.

None of the jokes are true Simpsons style, except for the hutz bits about his briefcase. Simpsons would never mention cocaine by name.

Moe crashing through the wall with the talking dolphin put it squarely in family guy territory for me.

I enjoyed it but I didn't laugh out loud or anything. And it's better than a lot of stuff on TV these days. It was clearly done with passion and love for the Simpsons. But it's not golden years, not even close. I think it just shows how far the Simpsons has fallen.

Classic Simpsons was written by some of the greatest comedic minds that ever lived. It's *very* difficult to get the humor right. Every joke was labored over, written and rewritten, and written again, by the likes of John Swartzwelder, George Meyer, and Conan O'Brien. You're not gonna approach that on YouTube. The writing is just so tight. It's just not a common style anymore. People don't know how to do it, really.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 22, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It definitely needs some punching-up, some cuts, some editing, some timing, and it's a lot of re-used gags. If it had those fixes, plus the classic stiffer animation style, it'd be like 90% to where it needs to be. It's the kind of thing I wish someone would send to me, a Simpsons Genious, for executive producer credit, because I can tell them exactly what to remove and alter to feel right.

But it's still better than the last 15 seasons combined.

Thank you for trusting me with this amateur Simpsons tribute. I will go now.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

I enjoyed it but I didn't laugh out loud or anything. And it's better than a lot of stuff on TV these days. It was clearly done with passion and love for the Simpsons. But it's not golden years, not even close. I think it just shows how far the Simpsons has fallen.

Classic Simpsons was written by some of the greatest comedic minds that ever lived. It's *very* difficult to get the humor right. Every joke was labored over, written and rewritten, and written again, by the likes of John Swartzwelder, George Meyer, and Conan O'Brien. You're not gonna approach that on YouTube. The writing is just so tight. It's just not a common style anymore. People don't know how to do it, really.

Yeah, agreed

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cosmik Debris posted:

I mean it was definitely better than anything the Simpsons have done in the past 20+ years, but it still had several recycled Simpsons gags, and golden era Simpsons almost never used licensed music or even existing pieces ( night on bald mountain). That was a hallmark of seasons 10 and onwards. Now I'm willing to forgive the inability of the Creator to write his own music or arrangements like Alf Clausen, but still, that really stuck out to me and if it had been me I would have just not used those bits at all.

Simpsons characters also rarely "know" each other, so it's weird for Krusty to mention knowing McClure. Krusty in particular never remembers anyone, that was a running gag that he never knew who bart was.

The animation style is a little off putting to me, the voice acting is unfortunately in the uncanny valley of close-but-not-quite, though I will admit it's way better than what the actors themselves can do these days.

None of the jokes are true Simpsons style, except for the hutz bits about his briefcase. Simpsons would never mention cocaine by name.

Moe crashing through the wall with the talking dolphin put it squarely in family guy territory for me.

Agree. It’s cool for a YouTube video that just one guy voices though.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Yeah dont' get me wrong the creator is extremely talented, I'm not trying to take that away from him.

It's really hard for modern people to get classic simpsons right. The writers grew up in the 60s and 70s and were watching syndicated network TV. Sid Caesar, F Troop, Get Smart, Andy Griffith Show, Dobie Gillis, Leave it to Beaver, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, Adam West's Batman, etc. Shows which just aren't really around anymore. It's hard to understand where the humor was coming from. It's *really* hard to match a style if you don't know what influenced that style. There are *many* references to all of those shows in classic simpsons.

Some of us older millenials grew up watching some of those shows when cable TV started out, so they licensed cheap content from the networks that wasn't in syndication anymore. But nowadays, unless you search it out, you're just not likely to see it.

And that's to say nothing of the infinite references to counterculture, nixon, and the 60s and 70s in general. I have older boomer parents who talked about that stuff a lot so I got a lot of those references even as a kid. But they're so over people's heads now.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 23, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it was meant to be an attempt at recreating classic Simpsons, it was just their take on it like when they have guest animators do the couch gag.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Julie Kavner sounds so loving awful dude. Like, shouldn't the union step in here? She's clearly being put through unfair treatment being forced to do this voice by now.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

emSparkly posted:

Julie Kavner sounds so loving awful dude. Like, shouldn't the union step in here? She's clearly being put through unfair treatment being forced to do this voice by now.

Why would the Union step in? They're paying her millions.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Remember watching Nick at Nite and not really getting happy days? The 90s to when that was new is a smaller time gap than now to good simpsons. There are competent writers and animators in the industry that weren't even born until after the golden years of the simpsons passed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finally got around to some of the new Futurama episodes. At first I couldn't tell which were new new and which were from the previous revival. But then you definitely could tell by the voices where the new new began. Not quite Simpsons bad, but noticeable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Debris posted:

For normal people yes but there's literally a whole episode about how Krusty's an institution unto himself in the entertainment history and dozens of random celebrities are willing to make a spot appearance to relaunch his show. He'd absolutely know the ridiculously prolific actor Troy McClure.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

emSparkly posted:

I’m pretty sure she could leave whenever she wants & isn’t under duress. I haven’t heard any claims it’s an elder abuse situation. Humans being paid lavishly for garbage work because of a bad system generally are happy to let that go indefinitely.

Probably doesn’t help that television reviews are a dead medium, is anyone still doing that seriously?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m pretty sure she could leave whenever she wants & isn’t under duress. I haven’t heard any claims it’s an elder abuse situation. Humans being paid lavishly for garbage work because of a bad system generally are happy to let that go indefinitely.

Probably doesn’t help that television reviews are a dead medium, is anyone still doing that seriously?

I jest, but still, doing that voice can't be good for her at this point.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For normal people yes but there's literally a whole episode about how Krusty's an institution unto himself in the entertainment history and dozens of random celebrities are willing to make a spot appearance to relaunch his show. He'd absolutely know the ridiculously prolific actor Troy McClure.

those are all real celebrities, though. afaik there's no indication that mcclure and krusty know each other.

And it's funny you bring that one up because I literally just watched it while I was eating dinner about 10 minutes ago. I was thinking about that and noticed that krusty doesn't "know" bart and lisa in that episode, even though they end up saving his career. He never says bart and lisa's names and doesn't seem to know who they are beyond having walked up to him on the sidewalk after he was offering to drop his pants for money. And vice versa, bart and lisa do not imply that they know krusty personally outside the episode. That's the last episode of 4th season, even though 3 episodes prior to it was 'the front' where lisa and bart and Abe write an episide of Itchy and Scratchy, and the second episode of season 1 is the one where bart saves him from jail after being framed for armed robbery. I think they actually bring that up (that krusty should absolutely know bart) in the episode where krusty fakes his death, if I'm remembering correctly.

Simpsons often did that. Most side characters were rarely portrayed as knowing each other personally outside of the confines of a particular episode, even though they've almost all interacted with each other at some point.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if McClure is ever portrayed as knowing other real celebrities. I know he was in a movie with miss piggie, but I cant think of many others.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 23, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

emSparkly posted:

she's making more money than any other voice actor just for voicing marge she's fine lol

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Young people have no clue what Simpsons is. I've heard personal stories of professors bringing up Simpsons jokes to 20 year olds and they have no loving idea what the professor is talking about.

Classic Simpsons is for old people, like how Happy Days was for old people when we were watching The Simpsons

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

When was the last time Homer said D'oh

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

you know they call em annoyed grunts but you never really hear em grunt

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Cosmik Debris posted:

those are all real celebrities, though. afaik there's no indication that mcclure and krusty know each other.

And it's funny you bring that one up because I literally just watched it while I was eating dinner about 10 minutes ago. I was thinking about that and noticed that krusty doesn't "know" bart and lisa in that episode, even though they end up saving his career. He never says bart and lisa's names and doesn't seem to know who they are beyond having walked up to him on the sidewalk after he was offering to drop his pants for money. And vice versa, bart and lisa do not imply that they know krusty personally outside the episode. That's the last episode of 4th season, even though 3 episodes prior to it was 'the front' where lisa and bart and Abe write an episide of Itchy and Scratchy, and the second episode of season 1 is the one where bart saves him from jail after being framed for armed robbery. I think they actually bring that up (that krusty should absolutely know bart) in the episode where krusty fakes his death, if I'm remembering correctly.

Simpsons often did that. Most side characters were rarely portrayed as knowing each other personally outside of the confines of a particular episode, even though they've almost all interacted with each other at some point.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if McClure is ever portrayed as knowing other real celebrities. I know he was in a movie with miss piggie, but I cant think of many others.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cosmik Debris posted:

you know they call em annoyed grunts but you never really hear em grunt

The absolutely stupidest cringiest episode title is "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt).” Yes, we all know what it really means, but it’s just a butt poo poo title.

Doesn’t help that the episode is also butt poo poo terrible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's been said a lot but jesus loving christ Julie Kavner sounds AWFUL.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

It is, but at least it gave us Sneed's Feed & Seed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

The 'important' characters like Krusty and Burns never remember the Simpsons but that's because they're rich and up their own asses, but like Smithers does remember the Simpsons and will rattle off all the plots they've had together because he's an intermeditary between the big people and the little people. I think the show would recognise Krusty and Maclure know each other, they're both fading celebrities still in the game and probably know each other from some lovely b-movie they filmed together or meeting at a party in the Hollywood district of Springfield

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of it. It was really impressive for such a small team, and definitely better than anything the simpsons have done since season 9-10, but it wasn't golden era level. As you point out, the tone and pacing is a bit off.

But also it's a pretty good illustrator that maybe they should license out the IP to independent creators.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It is, but at least it gave us Sneed's Feed & Seed.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The absolutely stupidest cringiest episode title is "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt).” Yes, we all know what it really means, but it’s just a butt poo poo title.

I thought I read at some point that this was literally the result of someone doing a global search-replace