Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67663128

The hacker who leaked those GTA6 clips like last year has been sentenced to life in hospital prison

If they think he'll be safer there I guess they haven't tried the cafeteria jello!!!!:imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's a pretty wild story, he was betrayed by rival hackers who doxxed him so he was arrested for hacking NVIDIA and he did the Rockstar hack while in police custody in a hotel room with an Amazon fire stick and phone

Edit: also that confinement sentence was because he straight up told the judge "i will begin hacking again as soon as i get the chance"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a pretty wild story, he was betrayed by rival hackers who doxxed him so he was arrested for hacking NVIDIA and he did the Rockstar hack while in police custody in a hotel room with an Amazon fire stick and phone

Edit: also that confinement sentence was because he straight up told the judge "i will begin hacking again as soon as i get the chance"

Oh I know, it's just genuinely funny to have a DANGEROUS SUPER HACKER who REFUSES TO STOP in real life. He should have a leather coat, sunglasses, and hack entirely by typing onto a generic DOS screen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hotline Miami 3 will be open world because things like walls and buildings no longer exist

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hackerman: Origins

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Let the hacker go free he never hacked me none

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

love my $600 G2 Reverb headset being randomly obsoleted by microsoft

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The hacker who leaked those GTA6 clips like last year has been sentenced to life in hospital prison

Get Gary Bowser to team up with him

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They put him in Joker jail hes too powerful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

love my $600 G2 Reverb headset being randomly obsoleted by microsoft

So what functionality does it retain?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinitum posted:

i guess it can still be used if someone makes a replacement open source WMR driver, or some sort of wrapper so it works with SteamVR directly. but the headsets rely on the WMR driver and portal, in fact SteamVR is launched through the WMR portal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It shouldn’t change unless MS actually deletes the driver, which won’t necessarily be any time soon. Deprecation is just a notice to devs to stop basing new projects on it

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

They're removing all of the reality. Now to use the product you have to live in Minecraft

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could someone who is good at the economy and computers tell me, why did hacking rockstar and leaking gameplay footage cost the company 5 mil and 1000s of hours of employee time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if it was posted here or in the GOTY thread, but: does anyone have the video of a streamer-looking person talking breathlessly about the 500 ways to resolve the BG3 goblin camp quest, culminating in the player smearing poo poo all over their face and the goblins aren't aggressive because they're laughing so hard at this lunatic

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 21, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Likely the employee time was due to trying to identify and close off the point in their system where the leak took place and the monetary value was probably in their stock valuation, which is more a measure of how happy or sad their investors are, and seeing a leak got them a bit sad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably replaced a poo poo load of their ineffective security software, trained people, implemented everything, totted up the total cost in stuff and hours and counted that all as direct damage.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

thats bullshit if its the case, they should have had all that poo poo to begin with

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is some movie poo poo what the hell

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Non-consensual pen-testing is rarely viewed as educational by the courts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm guessing it was mostly the phone, plus a web browser on the fire stick. Social engineering just requires you to be able to talk to people

Of course I don't know exactly how he got in or what he had set up in advance that he just used those devices to access/trigger

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dude holds up his USB stick to the feds with his hands in the air then drops to the ground like Claire Redfield in Resident Evil Code Veronica to upload all of GTA6 to his laptop

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

Could someone who is good at the economy and computers tell me, why did hacking rockstar and leaking gameplay footage cost the company 5 mil and 1000s of hours of employee time?

An hour long all hands town hall on basic security procedures at a very large company would come to about that total

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

personally, i would NOT tell the judge to imprison me forever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He’s in hospital jail and not regular jail because he has acute autism and deemed unfit to stand trial

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackhat predicted this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure if it was posted here or in the GOTY thread, but: does anyone have the video of a streamer-looking person talking breathlessly about the 500 ways to resolve the BG3 goblin camp quest, culminating in the player smearing poo poo all over their face and the goblins aren't aggressive because they're laughing so hard at this lunatic

I posted that video but now I can’t find it on YouTube and I forgot what thread I posted it in

Edit: found it. No wonder, it was a tweet

https://x.com/momo_obrien/status/1733933344277033113?s=46

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 21, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:thanks:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
jeez, I suck at Death Must Die.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
A bit late to the party but RE2 Remake kicks rear end, huh? Never gotten into survival horror games before other than Dino Crisis and RE4 and that one doesn't really count. Just finished Leon's 2nd run in just over 4 hours with no saves so I'm feeling pretty good. Just got Claire's 2nd run and the extra modes to go and I;m so glad I finally gave this a try.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I think the only survival horror that resonated with me were the Fatal Frame series.
i watch Lets Plays of the old Silent Hill games, but that's it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

"The gang's attacks on tech giants including Uber, Nvidia and Rockstar Games cost the firms nearly $10m."

lol, Rockstar makes that back in an hour on just GTAV sharkcards.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

VostokProgram posted:

thats bullshit if its the case, they should have had all that poo poo to begin with

They do but the hackers work faster than the companies.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

GateOfD posted:

I think the only survival horror that resonated with me were the Fatal Frame series.
i watch Lets Plays of the old Silent Hill games, but that's it.

which lets plays have you watched?

Two Best Friends Play had good LPs of Silent hill 1, 2 and 3.

And Woolie vs had its own run of Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 that is also really great.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I picked up Karmazoo, Rime, The Invisible Hours, Miasmata, Erannorth Chronicles, Astral Ascent, Sanabi: The Revenant, Gearbits, Chained Echoes, Pseudoregalia, Zortch, Paranormasight, Patrick's Parabox, and Laika: Aged Through Blood this sale. Very excited to play through these somewhere around 2027.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

Let the hacker go free he never hacked me none

That you know of

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Thank goodness the long arm of the law is there to imprison a young adult indefinitely and save us from their heinous act of...releasing videogame footage without the owning company's consent

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Draga posted:

A bit late to the party but RE2 Remake kicks rear end, huh? Never gotten into survival horror games before other than Dino Crisis and RE4 and that one doesn't really count. Just finished Leon's 2nd run in just over 4 hours with no saves so I'm feeling pretty good. Just got Claire's 2nd run and the extra modes to go and I;m so glad I finally gave this a try.

Loved it, especially since I didn't know the game grades you so when I finished the first Leon run I was feeling pretty satisfied and then the game said,"Well done, we rank you a C" and I thought,"Well I'll show them, I'll continue to play their game to prove myself to this automated and unfeeling ranking system, then we'll see who's a disappointment to their parents!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChickenHeart posted:

Thank goodness the long arm of the law is there to imprison a young adult indefinitely and save us from their heinous act of...releasing videogame footage without the owning company's consent

quote:

The judge said Kurtaj's skills and desire to commit cyber-crime meant he remained a high risk to the public.

He will remain at a secure hospital for life unless doctors deem him no longer a danger.

The court heard that Kurtaj had been violent while in custody with dozens of reports of injury or property damage.

Doctors deemed Kurtaj unfit to stand trial due to his acute autism so the jury was asked to determine whether or not he committed the alleged acts - not if he did so with criminal intent.

Just how much did this kid do while a bunch of cops were watching him