Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

Brief recap of the mentioned meeting about some of the developments and prospects in ME/CFS and/or PASC.

I do not believe it is online at this time, but I think NIH puts stuff like that online eventually.

quote:

A 2-day conference, Advancing ME/CFS Research: Identifying Targets for Potential Intervention and Learning from Long COVID, was held in December 12-13 on the main campus of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) and was livestreamed.

Picturing all of the unmasked people at the Learning From Long Covid conference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

mawarannahr posted:

I think that is strong

After receiving goonish advice, I did just go with open windows and furnace fan. They were working in my room for about twenty minutes, about three hours ago, but I've had the window open and the ceiling fan going. I've been masking in here all day, but I can probably unmask here and let the rest of the house air out until dinner.

I'll keep the humidifier, though, in case of active infection in the house. It sounds like running it for just a few hours will kill off everything in the air, and two hours a day for ten days will probably not be too destructive.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m at the er because of family member and the Dr flat out said “ over the past 2 years for some reason more adults have had RSV”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/sabivm/status/1737862288059535595?s=46

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why so much talk about rsv? graphs always show so few cases compared to covid amd flu

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Indoor Dying posted:

Picturing all of the unmasked people at the Learning From Long Covid conference
https://videocast.nih.gov/watch=52738
You are correct. I think there's one person with a KN95 in the audience. I like to imagine that there are still some COVID-cautious experts, but they chose to watch the livestream.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

spiritual bypass posted:

why so much talk about rsv? graphs always show so few cases compared to covid amd flu

Because nobody want to hear anything about Covid at all anymore, and the flu is just the flu.

It's perfect to say RSV when you want to say something about how so many people are getting sick nowadays

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
HAND SANITIZER. COAT YOURSELF IN HAND SANITIZER. NOTHING ELSE WILL PREVENT COVID

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

CGI Stardust posted:

JCVI: "there's no evidence of sufficiently high quality and consistency to support vaccination having any protection against Long COVID so we're not going to include its potential effects in our calculations"

They're right though. Thinking the vaccination is adequate protection against long covid is ridiculous cope. Literally every person I know that developed long covid after the vaccines availability was vaccinated + boosted (including myself)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
just engulfed in a roiling spume of ethanol vapor, physically deterring all viral particles, sterilizing the gently caress out of your bronchi on the way in

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Dying is boring though. I’d like to live a thousand years if that was possible, to witness everything.

:yeah:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Postcards from plague world, new england:

* spent part of my kid's 15-minute school play in slight anxiety, having left my n95 in the car and having insufficient time to get it.
* looking around, noticed probably 15-20% of adults in N95s and a handful of kids (up from ~5% and 0 a month or so ago)
* I noticed there were 2 large corsi cubes in the room with the fans cranked that appeared well constructed, which made me feel a bit better. That's also not a thing the school was doing a month
* more people that I am talking to seem not open but outright resigned to the idea there's some hosed-up COVID related fuckiness happening now. I think of my brother as a brunch lib but really he's a doomer who keeps it in a deep drawer; when I mentioned some of this to him he immediately said he had a very active, healthy friend who had just had a stroke and been told "your one and only risk factor, is that you have COVID six months ago" and has another friend with some kind of hosed up lung thing that is definitely COVID damage

Of course there's still dumb levels of politicization around everything and I am in a pretty blue/green area, but it does seem to me like the cultural perception is shifting, and behavior along with it.

Also, my dreaded conversation with my spouse, was nothing I needed to dread: they looked at everything I sent them as well as some other stuff, and landed pretty quickly on "yea I agree it does not make sense to travel to visit children in another city right now, let's see where things go after the holiday and the almost inevitable double-peak we'll see after that". I dunno why I expected any different, they are objectively smarter than I am in most ways I can think of.

NeonPunk posted:

Because nobody want to hear anything about Covid at all anymore, and the flu is just the flu.

It's perfect to say RSV when you want to say something about how so many people are getting sick nowadays
This may be part of it but RSV is fucky-dangerous to small kids which keeps parental interest up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

HAND SANITIZER. COAT YOURSELF IN HAND SANITIZER. NOTHING ELSE WILL PREVENT COVID

you idiot

Covid is a respiratory disease

you don’t need to coat yourself in hand sanitizer

just your lungs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*On the floor, Frank Reynoldsishly*

"I Just want to be pure"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Babe, new justification for seeing your smiling face on the plane just dropped.

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1737845283126730858

Pingui posted:

Plague Island gonna plague:

quote:

The latest figures suggest that 4.2% of people in private households in England and Scotland are likely to have tested positive for Covid-19 on December 13, the equivalent of around 2.5 million people or one in 24.

This is up from 2.0%, or around one in 50 people, on December 1 and 1.5%, or one in 66, on November 14.

These numbers are eyewatering. “Seasonal icks” like NL63, HKU1, or RSV can’t come anywhere close to that.

It’s a very successful virus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is your reminder that dentists did not wear gloves prior to learning about HIV, and that many of them bitterly resisted gloves even after that.

spiritual bypass posted:

RSV is like “ISIS’s second-in-command” that they have to hype to the Moon to deflect from their inability to accomplish anything.

We* have a vaccine for RSV now!

*For limited values of “we”

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

Babe, new justification for seeing your smiling face on the plane just dropped.

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1737845283126730858

lol the footnote on the meme search has gotta be good

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pingui posted:

Plague Island gonna plague:
the ONS Winter Infection Survey started collecting data at the start of November, but the official page has only just been opened today. seen rumours that the late release is because of government pressure, to keep the economy going up to Christmas

low in the 75+ age bracket; may be because they were the only age group guaranteed the booster this year. be interested in seeing how that develops after new year

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Asproigerosis posted:

I guess it's funny that every year like loving clockwork covid ramps up its holiday season with the Thanksgiving superspreader bonanza and then with the increased baseline of carriers, goes wild with Christmas gently caress yeah spread it.

gotta prime the pump first

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for the well-wishes and the info!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are a surprising number of goons getting owned by forgetting their respirators.

Put some in your jackets’ pockets. Maybe that will help.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://x.com/LauraMiers/status/1737953212584399068?s=20

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I also wonder if 1:1 with water and hypochlorous 500 is too strong, because my eyes are burning.

It sounds like you should not be pouring acid into your humidifier at all actually.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
instead you should put hand sanitizer in your humidifier

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Platystemon posted:

There are a surprising number of goons getting owned by forgetting their respirators.

Put some in your jackets’ pockets. Maybe that will help.

Just two years before I find it, give it a sniff while shaking my head and smiling, then reach for the full face elastomeric

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Someone's going to have to explain to me how this HOCl humidifier thing is meaningfully better than just running a corsi box or hepa filter sized to the space because it seems like a total faff to home-roll something that can make chlorine gas if you do it wrong

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Instead of appealing to “please don’t gas yourself”, I raise “the acid is depositing in the filters of your air purifiers and potentially your respirators and rendering them less effective.”

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Instead of appealing to “please don’t gas yourself”, I raise “the acid is depositing in the filters of your air purifiers and potentially your respirators and rendering them less effective.”

Always good for a laugh when someone spends money on a machine to protect them from covid and then doesn't buy the ten cent test strip to verify that it's not poisoning them or melting the electrostatic filter media in their other machine

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hold on, who the gently caress is putting hypochlorous acid in a humidifier

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

spiritual bypass posted:

Right now there's about twice as many cases of RSV in Washington state as there are flu. Both are still much lower than COVID-19 however.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

hold on, who the gently caress is putting hypochlorous acid in a humidifier

You can buy them off the shelf at Walmart, it's not exactly a revolutionary idea https://www.walmart.com/ip/Liberty-Hypochlorous-Acid-HOCl-Generator-with-Humidifier-4L-2-in-1/733935518

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

we found something stupider than using UV to fight covid

both will technically work but you need to be in "lol, lmao" intensity/concentration to actually be effective against anything other than the faintest trace of aerosolized vectors

congratulations, we did it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
HOCl is an antiseptic. as far as I can tell the people who were advocating huffing it were only doing it occasionally, like the betadine or carrageenan sprays, not breathing it all day

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Steve Yun posted:

HOCl is an antiseptic. as far as I can tell the people who were advocating huffing it were only doing it occasionally, like the betadine or carrageenan sprays, not breathing it all day

I see, so if I do the gasified version of (edit: barely) washing my hands, I won't get covid when I go walk around breathing in cov2 virions?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

we found something stupider than using UV to fight covid

both will technically work but you need to be in "lol, lmao" intensity/concentration to actually be effective against anything other than the faintest trace of aerosolized vectors

congratulations, we did it

At least with 222nm UVC if you get a lamp that's correctly built and filtered it will work and do a little extra in terms of neutralizing stuff before it passes through your air filter and you can just turn it on when you want to use it. That's not good value for money vs more air purifiers but I get it.

HOCl generator/humidifier setups you are constantly filling up water, adding salt, testing to make sure the ph is right so you're not poisoning yourself, adding vinegar to correct the ph, cleaning the scuzz out of it because it's a humidifier, etc. It's like dealing with a fish-tank.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

man

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

people really, really just do not like the idea of filters, do they

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Using UV to fight the pandemic virus is smarter than almost everything there is.

Using UV to fight COVID is stupid, because COVID is the disease, and once you have it, UV can’t do anything for you, weird Trump monologue notwithstanding.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's like people have an innate, unspoken fear that filters remove some Divine Spark from the shared lung-gas that you would otherwise be freely breathing

the lengths that people will go to just not breathe through a filter, in order to eliminate particulate virions that make your brain dumb and heart weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

Using UV to fight the pandemic virus is smarter than almost everything there is.

Using UV to fight COVID is stupid, because COVID is the disease, and once you have it, UV can’t do anything for you, weird Trump monologue notwithstanding.

:golfclap:

great point, I probably shouldn't be using my 3M 9105 to filter the blood returning through my vena cava either

that'll save on antiseptic too