Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

(Tears of the Kingdom)

JackSplater posted:

Ah, yeah, this is what happens. The stealing heart containers was a nice touch, I felt. Made the fight actually a threat, eventually.

Yeah, agreed. It snuck up on me because I had so many hearts by that point that I wasn't even sure it was happening at first. And then as the fight went on my hearts got low enough that I started getting worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something that’s a dumb nitpick with TOTK is its lack of transparency with damage numbers. Not just the no HP indicator option, but the reason why (because spears do slightly less damage than their Attack suggests and two handed weapons do slightly more) which, like isn’t a bad idea since spears are still kinda OP with fusion, but just tell the player that’s what’s happening? Like have an NPC go “oh, I stuck a horn on my spear and it wasn’t as strong as I expected, but it keeps me safe and I can attack a LOT at once”.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Suika Game got another holiday update, this time for Christmas. There's a new background, the goal is a Christmas-y watermelon and there's new music. Hope you like Suika Game's take on "We Wish You A Merry Christmas". :suicide:

Even if you like it, I wouldn't get too attached as the devs will most likely push out an update after Christmas removing it, just like they did with the superior Halloween update.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Every one in a while I load up the binding of isaac forgetting why I stopped playing it only to be reminded that like 70 percent of the games items are useless or bad.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Control really lampshaded the fact that Dylan and Jesse are both gender-neutral names, the two of them were the only survivors, and they looked similar and both had powers. I was expecting them to pull a twist that they were one person who went into the slide projector and came out as two aspects thanks to Polaris, but apparently they just brought all that up for no reason.

I wish we'd got an appearance from Neil-Dog though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think based on their previous work and now ultimately Alan Wake 2 we can conclude that Remedy just really likes dopplegangers and dark mirror characters in all their narratives.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've realized survival and crafting games are 100% not for me. ProcGen exploration and fighting monsters during day/night cycles is fun for me.
Having to build a house, craft tools that break with use, and managing needs like hunger and thirst? Just feels like tedious busywork.
I've bounced off of every game I've tried in the genre after friends ask me to try them all the wat from Terreria and Minecraft all the way to Valheim, and most recently lego fortnite.

Just being a tourist and seeing stuff other people build or the exploration parts are fine though.

E: also like 0 of the skins and emotes I had and liked are fully supported in the lego mode. Showing off all of the models with full custom parts like heads and hats really makes the :effort: in 'uh, blue guy with a hood I guess' come through. The worst are the way most of the old evolving/level up skins that show as supported, but by supported it means their boring 'generic dude' base is supported, not the viking zombie, werewolf, or phantom cowboy form.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Dec 21, 2023

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
World of Horror, I love you, but stop loving me over, I'm just trying to fill a prescription. I know it's a rogue-lite and that's part of the charm, but goddammit, I'm taking IRL Reason damage trying to get this done.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

I think based on their previous work and now ultimately Alan Wake 2 we can conclude that Remedy just really likes dopplegangers and dark mirror characters in all their narratives.

It's also very much a David Lynch thing, and we certainly know how Sam Lake feels about Lynch.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Control even uses a literal version of this for a side boss.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

darkwasthenight posted:

Control really lampshaded the fact that Dylan and Jesse are both gender-neutral names, the two of them were the only survivors, and they looked similar and both had powers. I was expecting them to pull a twist that they were one person who went into the slide projector and came out as two aspects thanks to Polaris, but apparently they just brought all that up for no reason.

I wish we'd got an appearance from Neil-Dog though.

Is Dylan gender-neutral? I mean, sure, I'm not surprised by that, but I don't think I've ever heard of a girl named Dylan.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There are girl Dylans, yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Is Dylan gender-neutral? I mean, sure, I'm not surprised by that, but I don't think I've ever heard of a girl named Dylan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Penn, for example

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I guess my thought is that if they were intentionally trying to make something out of both their names being gender-neutral, they'd pick a more famously gender-neutral name. That's at least how I'd do it.

Although I suppose every gender-neutral name is kinda cursed to waver depending on who those names are most associated with at the time. Like, my go-to 'gender neutral name' is Ashley, but basically every famous Ashley right now is female or a website, so for most people it would read weird on a guy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

e: wrong thread

kazil has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Dec 22, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The most disappointing thing about Control was that Polaris Wasn't revealed to be you, the player, like the seemed to be building to

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Despite how mediocre it was in many ways I still have a soft spot for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified because of a similar twist in it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kitfox88 posted:

Despite how mediocre it was in many ways I still have a soft spot for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified because of a similar twist in it.

The Cuban Missile Crisis being caused by Sectoids is also very funny

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Still annoyed about how it is ostensibly about the founding of XCOM and then it happens in like the first mission.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Opopanax posted:

The most disappointing thing about Control was that Polaris Wasn't revealed to be you, the player, like the seemed to be building to

I get what you mean, but I dunno how that would've felt in practice. I think as a standalone game it could've been neat, but it feels like it'd be a step too far when it's already going for a big move in opening up the shared game universe.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolness Averted posted:

I've realized survival and crafting games are 100% not for me. ProcGen exploration and fighting monsters during day/night cycles is fun for me.
Having to build a house, craft tools that break with use, and managing needs like hunger and thirst? Just feels like tedious busywork.
I've bounced off of every game I've tried in the genre after friends ask me to try them all the wat from Terreria and Minecraft all the way to Valheim, and most recently lego fortnite.

Just being a tourist and seeing stuff other people build or the exploration parts are fine though.

E: also like 0 of the skins and emotes I had and liked are fully supported in the lego mode. Showing off all of the models with full custom parts like heads and hats really makes the :effort: in 'uh, blue guy with a hood I guess' come through. The worst are the way most of the old evolving/level up skins that show as supported, but by supported it means their boring 'generic dude' base is supported, not the viking zombie, werewolf, or phantom cowboy form.

Yeah I'm not a fan of survival crafty games either, I have a friend who loves them and keeps buying them for me when they go on sale so we can play together and most of them are just so much the same. I think the one with the "best" gameplay I've found is Satisfactory, if just because it's far more focused on the factory element than the survival element.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im desperately trying not to spoil control for myself but i will say i only just realised the entity in jesses head was an actual entity and not just her addressing you the player when they first spell it out around about when the research area opens up

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RBA Starblade posted:

The Cuban Missile Crisis being caused by Sectoids is also very funny

At some point I need to sit down and figure out what exactly my internal list of criteria for which real-world events are okay to write as caused by Fantasy Nonsense, and which ones aren't. Because this and Peace Walker has made me realize that the Cuban Missile Crisis is on the okay list, but several things around World War II aren't.

I feel like it might just be that if there's real, important reasons for a thing then it shouldn't be dismissed, but some parts of history just boil down into 'some bullshit happened' anyway, so it might as well be aliens.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cleretic posted:

At some point I need to sit down and figure out what exactly my internal list of criteria for which real-world events are okay to write as caused by Fantasy Nonsense, and which ones aren't. Because this and Peace Walker has made me realize that the Cuban Missile Crisis is on the okay list, but several things around World War II aren't.

I feel like it might just be that if there's real, important reasons for a thing then it shouldn't be dismissed, but some parts of history just boil down into 'some bullshit happened' anyway, so it might as well be aliens.

For me at least the CMC falls into acceptable because at the end of the day there were like, maybe 20 deaths directly attributable to it? And most of those were people on board loving USAF aircraft that weren't even engaged, they just loving crashed.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
buddy they wont even let me gently caress the usaf aircraft

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Crash Bandicoot 4:
It's really hard to get all the crates and I've got old man coordination :(
More specifically though:
1. The z-axis mattering in 2d platforming puzzles. When the camera zooms out and aligns to a classic 2d platformer view, but if you're slightly out of alignment on the z-axis, you might end up not being able to slide through a gap or you might hit your head on a piece of geometry, cutting your jump critically short.
2. Platforming where you have a limited hover ability and have to land on a platform to reset it. You aim your landings by looking at your shadow below you hitting the platform. UNLESS, of course, the camera rises so high that you no longer see the platform or your shadow, forcing you to guess.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I get what you mean, but I dunno how that would've felt in practice. I think as a standalone game it could've been neat, but it feels like it'd be a step too far when it's already going for a big move in opening up the shared game universe.

Tearaway Unfolded goes to places like that. At one point scientists discover the existence of the player although they don't know what they've found, then the little monsters steal their research and build their own controller to challenge them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Suleman posted:

Crash Bandicoot 4:
It's really hard to get all the crates and I've got old man coordination :(
More specifically though:
1. The z-axis mattering in 2d platforming puzzles. When the camera zooms out and aligns to a classic 2d platformer view, but if you're slightly out of alignment on the z-axis, you might end up not being able to slide through a gap or you might hit your head on a piece of geometry, cutting your jump critically short.
2. Platforming where you have a limited hover ability and have to land on a platform to reset it. You aim your landings by looking at your shadow below you hitting the platform. UNLESS, of course, the camera rises so high that you no longer see the platform or your shadow, forcing you to guess.

crash 4 has possibly the worst collectathon in games period. at least in the top 10. it stinks because breaking the crates is what guides you through the levels so it always feels bad when you're notified that you missed a few, but you will be so much better off if you just break what you can see and leave the rest

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nothing could be worse than Donkey Kong 64's fractally-padded menagerie of madness.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nothing could be worse than Donkey Kong 64's fractally-padded menagerie of madness.

Even with the ever growing collectathon to work through, the worst part was still having to beat the original donkey Kong on one life. Whoever thought that up was sadistic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That is how crash 4 works. There are now five rewards on every level, one for breaking the boxes and one beating it without dying, etc. And then, about halfway through the game, you unlock an alternate version of every single level with a fun weird gimmick...

... And five rewards including breaking all the boxes a second time, instead of just the one for beating it. It's really tedious and inspires fatigue of a game that is super creative!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Dec 22, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this video from the 35-minute to 40-minute interval or so shows off just a handful of the dozens of batshit hiding places that boxes were stashed in crash 4. it defies belief and it really does drag the game down because it's a fantastic platformer otherwise, the best in the series by far, but the box collectathon is like the most elemental part of crash's gameplay and in this game it's made to just kick you in the kidneys over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yapbT_FgFQ

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I actually liked all those additions, but specifically as a non-completionist. Having so many challenges made it a lot easier to unlock costumes because there were so many things to do if hitting all the boxes or whatever was too much of a pain. But it does require going in with my usual mindset of "I'm fine with moderately completing this".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im desperately trying not to spoil control for myself but i will say i only just realised the entity in jesses head was an actual entity and not just her addressing you the player when they first spell it out around about when the research area opens up

It's a completely fair guess and count me in for wondering if that was where they were going. Especially having played and enjoyed The Bureau previously.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the way jesse engages with polaris is definitely meant to make them seem like an analogue of the player. the polyhedron pattern associated with polaris is even part of the menu cursor

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the way jesse engages with polaris is definitely meant to make them seem like an analogue of the player. the polyhedron pattern associated with polaris is even part of the menu cursor

It reminded me of Zack in Deadly Premonition, which I always thought was supposed to be York talking directly to the player until it turns out to not be that entirely.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I actually liked all those additions, but specifically as a non-completionist. Having so many challenges made it a lot easier to unlock costumes because there were so many things to do if hitting all the boxes or whatever was too much of a pain. But it does require going in with my usual mindset of "I'm fine with moderately completing this".

The last few years have really gone a long way to helping me "ok, that's enough" and not feel the need to get every achievement

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

The way Assassin's Creed handles WW2 is pretty funny because basically everyone is a Templar and the only notable thing the Assassins do is secretly kill Hitler and make it look like suicide.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wonder how the inevitable future Assassin's Creed handles 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The way Assassin's Creed handles WW2 is pretty funny because basically everyone is a Templar and the only notable thing the Assassins do is secretly kill Hitler and make it look like suicide.

Doesn't hitler fake his own death and leave a body double behind, and *then* the assassins track him down and kill him?

I kind of liked that approach to history in the early games, where it's very clear when it's suddenly veered into fantasy.