Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

CN Anomen is fine. He gains +4 wisdom from becoming LG, but all that really means is two extra level 1 spells, and two extra level 2 spells. (And I guess +5 lore, which means nothing.)

As CN, he's still an absolute powerhouse, as pretty much all fighter/cleric multiclasses are.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah CN Anomen is underrated. An extra couple of low level spells that he gets for being LG means very little. You get so many spell slots with him anyways.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
23 years later I found out there is a fence in Trademeet despite spending thousands of hours playing BG2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flowing Thot posted:

23 years later I found out there is a fence in Trademeet despite spending thousands of hours playing BG2.

That guy has some good scrolls too iirc? I only found out about him because I was looking up where to buy certain spell scrolls and he had ones that I wanted.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

That is also how I found him. I wanted to find out where to get protection from fire scrolls.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think I found him before but I was definitely pleased to see the Enhanced Edition is apparently the only reason you can ever sell stolen goods? Or was that only a change for the first game?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think I found him before but I was definitely pleased to see the Enhanced Edition is apparently the only reason you can ever sell stolen goods? Or was that only a change for the first game?

The enhanced editions put them in BG1, BG2 already had fences. I think the EEs also closed the steal/sell loop thing by making it so you can't steal from fences?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

voiceless anal fricative posted:

The enhanced editions put them in BG1, BG2 already had fences. I think the EEs also closed the steal/sell loop thing by making it so you can't steal from fences?

No you can still steal from fences I do it every time I play.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah it's basically infinite money. There are mods that stop that, by making fences unpickpocketable.

I think the only thing I would bother changing is that you can't sell the very exact same item you just stole back to them. At least make you have to put in the work go find another fence.

Then again there's no real realism to it anyway, how come non-fences on the other side of the world/planes knows that this specific +2 mace is stolen?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rythian posted:

Yeah it's basically infinite money. There are mods that stop that, by making fences unpickpocketable.

I think the only thing I would bother changing is that you can't sell the very exact same item you just stole back to them. At least make you have to put in the work go find another fence.

Then again there's no real realism to it anyway, how come non-fences on the other side of the world/planes knows that this specific +2 mace is stolen?

The blockchain, duh.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In Hogfather, unfocused belief sloshing about creates things like the Verruca Gnome, surely FR would have a Blockchain Bugbear or something to keep property rights in line

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm making a custom sound pack for my iron man run but does anyone have a list of what you need to name each .wav for each relevant event? Specifically for BG2s sounds as I know it uses more sounds for things like critical hits, critical miss, weapon ineffective, spell disruption etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm making a custom sound pack for my iron man run but does anyone have a list of what you need to name each .wav for each relevant event? Specifically for BG2s sounds as I know it uses more sounds for things like critical hits, critical miss, weapon ineffective, spell disruption etc.

I found this guide by Camdawg on the G3 forums:

Camdawg posted:

XXXXXXa.wav: Battle Cry 1
XXXXXXb.wav: Becoming Leader
XXXXXXc.wav: Tired
XXXXXXd.wav: Bored
XXXXXXe.wav: Badly Wounded
XXXXXXf.wav: Selected 1
XXXXXXg.wav: Selected 2
XXXXXXh.wav: Selected 3
XXXXXXi.wav: Action Acknowledgement 1
XXXXXXj.wav: Action Acknowledgement 2
XXXXXXk.wav: Action Acknowledgement 3
XXXXXXl.wav: Being Hit
XXXXXXm.wav: Dying
XXXXXXn.wav: In Forest
XXXXXXo.wav: In City
XXXXXXp.wav: In Dungeon
XXXXXXq.wav: Daytime
XXXXXXr.wav: Nighttime
XXXXXXs.wav: Action Acknowledgement 4
XXXXXXt.wav: Action Acknowledgement 5
XXXXXXu.wav: Action Acknowledgement 6
XXXXXXv.wav: Action Acknowledgement 7
XXXXXXw.wav: Reaction to Party Member Death
XXXXXXx.wav: Rare Action Acknowledgement 1*
XXXXXXy.wav: Rare Action Acknowledgement 2*
XXXXXXz.wav: Critical Hit
XXXXXX0.wav: Selected 4
XXXXXX1.wav: Critical Miss
XXXXXX2.wav: Target Immune
XXXXXX3.wav: Inventory Full
XXXXXX4.wav: Pickpocket Successful
XXXXXX5.wav: Hide in Shadows Successful
XXXXXX6.wav: Spell Disrupted
XXXXXX7.wav: Trap is Set Successfully
XXXXXX8.wav: Battle Cry 2
XXXXXX9.wav: Battle Cry 3

You do not need to have all 36 of these files for the soundset to be available in the game.

The posts are from 2022, so hopefully the info is still valid.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Rappaport posted:

I found this guide by Camdawg on the G3 forums:

The posts are from 2022, so hopefully the info is still valid.

That was quick! Bless you, I've saved this as a notepad in case I make any more sound packs (and I will).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Traumatic memories of trying to upload my custom sound pack to some webpage having a contest in 1999 and seeing my browser repeatedly tell me the upload of NOTATALLCRINGEIAMSUREA.WAV fail repeatedly with barely any time left to upload them

drat you, four-way-shared ISDN line

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Traumatic memories of importing a soundset that is much quieter than the basic BG ones

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I did the tanner murder on my solo sorc earlier in my save and then never actually went and chased after him because I was a low level solo sorc I didn't want to deal with the traps or the fight and you get the reward for the quest just for him running away and then going to turn it in. A couple dozen hours of gameplay later I now have a full party and am near 9th level spells and I remember I never went and did that fight or got the items, and I think now is a good time to do so.

The skinner is in the 2nd level of the shop and attacks us, and is completely immortal even the cheat kill creature hotkey doesn't work.

Not really a huge issue I can just turn invis and avoid him but still funny.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I already did the Trademeet part of the quest. I'm hoping the Umar Hills part works.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally finished the Siege of Dragonspear and it was pretty...pretty...pretty good. The final boss seemed suitably climactic, but I didn't expect such a long tail in the trial/escape so the pacing felt really weird there. Also the fact that it leads into BG2 gives it the kind of off Rogue One feeling of "wait so I just killed Satan a few days ago but nobody cares because this is a prequel" so I can see why people aren't terribly keen on it, but I think the presentation and overall fun of playing out the siege/etc makes up for it

Being evil while pleading your innocence is also pretty funny because you just list off war crimes then go "but if I'm being honest about that why would I lie about this one specific murder?" as if that would work lol

My evil party was really falling apart near the end because I was getting a little too popular and it was both too late to murder any hapless NPCs (you're instakilled in camp if you kill a refugee and I was locked into the endgame) so I popped the helm of opposite alignment on Viconia, swapped out Dorn for Corwin and thankfully, Baeloth complained but wouldn't leave. Funny enough the helm randomly popped off Viconia during the Skie murder scene and she left, dumping all her beautiful cleric items all over the floor. I was also romancing Dorn (playing a female blackguard) and he came to my cell at the end, romance intact, so I guess it worked out. Onward to BG2EE, and then maybe when I'm done with that BG3 will be down to $30 or something

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The running joke with the lost gold was the best thing about Dragonspear.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The running joke with the lost gold was the best thing about Dragonspear.

I was delighted that you finally get it all back minutes before the final boss with nothing left to buy. Incredible commitment to the bit.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I like when you do a replay and spend every last coin you have before starting SoD but keep a fortune of gems to sell. This poor guy running all over the map trying to get me back like 50 gold.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Man, I'm gonna miss Baeloth. He had so many spell slots that I didn't actually have to choose, he liked it when I robbed and killed people, and he was Commander Shepard talking stupidly. Farewell my sweet drow prince :qq:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Baeloth would have been such an amazing companion in BG2 and also completely busted. You can make a strong argument for sorc being the strongest vanilla class. Probably a toss up between them and wild mage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flowing Thot posted:

Baeloth would have been such an amazing companion in BG2 and also completely busted. You can make a strong argument for sorc being the strongest vanilla class. Probably a toss up between them and wild mage.

I dunno why they didn't just cram him in there anyways. Not like he's any more broken than Edwin or Neera.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno why they didn't just cram him in there anyways. Not like he's any more broken than Edwin or Neera.

Yeah I don't think it was for balance reasons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A small comfort is that all the Beamdog NPC quests suck and blow, so Baeloth having some personal drama in the Underdark or whatevs probably wouldn't have been an experience of a lifetime.

I guess his quests could've revolved around the Spectator, no one could mess that up, right?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Flowing Thot posted:

I think hes been modded in, naturally.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

In vanilla BGEE/BG2EE (so without SCS or any tweaks or whatever installed) do you actually suffer a penalty to use ranged weapons at melee range? It's bugged me since NWN had a feat for using ranged weapons in melee (point blank shot, or close shot, or something?) and I've never noticed what the deal was with ranged weapons at melee distance in BG1/2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeadButDelicious posted:

In vanilla BGEE/BG2EE (so without SCS or any tweaks or whatever installed) do you actually suffer a penalty to use ranged weapons at melee range? It's bugged me since NWN had a feat for using ranged weapons in melee (point blank shot, or close shot, or something?) and I've never noticed what the deal was with ranged weapons at melee distance in BG1/2.

Yes I'm not 100% sure on the numbers but I believe it's something like enemies have a +4 to hit chance against you in melee if you're using a ranged weapon and you take a minus 4 penalty to your attack rolls if trying to point blank shoot them.

A nasty penalty but not too big a deal since you should always be kiting your archer away from meleers anyhow. And tbh the Archer class gets such massive thaco bonuses that you would probably still hit most enemies even point blank as an archer in bg.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Quick question for anyone who is familiar with Infinity Engine modding - If I set the CRITICALROLL value on STYLBONU.2da, does the game correctly interpret that as moving the 'critical' result to 21, effectively making crits impossible with that style of weapon?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

There is no penalty, but you get damaged more from enemy melee

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm currently on my 4th no-reload playthrough of BG1 (which I have not played past Candlekeep prior to 2024).

My current policy is that if an NPC:

1) is rushing forward to talk with me, and
2) is dressed like a wizard or cleric, and
3) is not named Elminster

then I immediately run away, stealth up, and backstab them before they speak a single word.

So far I'm at 4 out of 5 on them turning out to be assassins sent to murder me.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zeerust posted:

Quick question for anyone who is familiar with Infinity Engine modding - If I set the CRITICALROLL value on STYLBONU.2da, does the game correctly interpret that as moving the 'critical' result to 21, effectively making crits impossible with that style of weapon?

Do you mean if you set it to -1? Interesting question, you'd probably just need to test it out but it should work unless there's something hard coded in that makes 20s crit.

Just out of interest, why do you want to make a class of weapons unable to crit?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm working on a 'house rules' tweak mod, and one of the adjustments I was considering making was making it so dual-wielding makes you unable to score crits, at least below Mastery. It's one of the few ways I can see to disempower two weapon fighting without being overly punitive.

Speaking of which, is the WeidU utility as intimidating as it looks? I have a decent hang of NearInfinity at this point but actually packaging my changes feels like a completely different ballpark.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 3, 2024

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's a very gentle learning curve, just basic scripting. There are tutorials around if you want to do it. It's only worth doing if you're editing the dialogue.tlk file or planning to run it with other mods.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm currently on my 4th no-reload playthrough of BG1 (which I have not played past Candlekeep prior to 2024).

My current policy is that if an NPC:

1) is rushing forward to talk with me, and
2) is dressed like a wizard or cleric, and
3) is not named Elminster

then I immediately run away, stealth up, and backstab them before they speak a single word.

So far I'm at 4 out of 5 on them turning out to be assassins sent to murder me.

TARNESH is still the ender of like 80 % of my iron man runs. Brutal.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Flowing Thot posted:

There is an upcoming mod for Baeloth in bg2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

mitochondritom posted:

TARNESH is still the ender of like 80 % of my iron man runs. Brutal.

This is true for me, too. If he gets mirror image off I may as well just restart.