Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those are all very different games and 7 remake won’t be as interesting for you if you haven’t played the original since it’s not really a remake and you won’t fully appreciate the gimmick.

I think you’d enjoy XV the most if 14 is your only point of reference, since it’s not turn based and the world is nice and open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh man asking which FF game to play first is like asking which dark souls is the best.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MarcusSA posted:

Oh man asking which FF game to play first is like asking which dark souls is the best.

the answer to which one to play first is always ds1r though. there's no other answer

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tell people to start with DS2 for the comedy option.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mr Newsman posted:

Looking to play a Final Fantasy game - never played the franchise other than maxing out a job in the FF14 trial. This was pretty fun but I don't have time these days to do an MMO at the level I'd get into it at.

Basic googling says it doesn't matter where you start but curious if there's any that the steam deck plays better. Was looking at the 7 remaster, 10 and 10-2, or 15. Really daring choices I'm sure.

My favorites are:

I've never played 8, 13, or 16, and 11/14 are MMOs and completely different.

MarcusSA posted:

Best is one thing, but I really do think people should try DS1 first, because the world is awesome, but the gameplay of each subsequent game has gotten harder, so going back to it later might be kind of boring.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FFVIIR runs pretty well on Deck, at least 40fps during action scenes, the only noticeable graphical downgrade is slightly crunchy hair. It also has possibly the finest combat system I've ever played, it's real good.

FFXV bears the scars of a troubled development process, but I love it all the same and it is indeed pretty chill. The combat really clicked for me, dancing around in the air hitting everything was just incredibly fun.

E: there's also a crossover with XIV that they added, it's pretty cute.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Mr Newsman posted:

Looking to play a Final Fantasy game - never played the franchise other than maxing out a job in the FF14 trial. This was pretty fun but I don't have time these days to do an MMO at the level I'd get into it at.

Basic googling says it doesn't matter where you start but curious if there's any that the steam deck plays better. Was looking at the 7 remaster, 10 and 10-2, or 15. Really daring choices I'm sure.
the "remasters" are pretty bad compared to the originals, so you're basically better off emulating the games up to ~9/10/12 with a crt-royale shader for the proper (intended) look on snes; no crt shader needed for gba versions. they basically lost the original files for ff8 and yet they still went and did a "remaster" that looked terrible. there have been all kinds of remasters of the original, and some of the pixel remasters (pre-7) are probably subjective, but there's a reason people are actually excited about ff7 remake

for 9/12-16, you're more or less fine playing them as-is. ff15 has a pretty terrible/confusing story, but it's probably going to the most straightforward step from ff14. the music's fantastic, and it's actually mainly by yoko shimomura, not uematsu or soken. after that, i'd probably do 10, whether remastered or not, and then you can even do ff7 remake or 1-9 emulated

ff6 is probably a fun way to get into emulation, and it's one of the best games together with ff7. some games have issues with wonky english translations (tactics), but ff6 is fairly straightforward

there have been rumours about some proper remakes of ff9 and final fantasy tactics, but those rumours are so old who's to say if they're real right now

tl;dr:

14 -> 15 or 10 (remastered/emulated) -> ff7remake -> 6/7/9 (emulated) depending on which strikes your fancy

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1461386650039164932
https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1485672863193612293
https://twitter.com/ruuupu1/status/1356205335174778881

kliras fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 22, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astilbra is super great on the OLED deck because the colors really pop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got stuck somewhere in Astlibra in the first cave and I couldn’t figure out where to go so now I’m playing Sandrock. True story.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I got stuck somewhere in Astlibra in the first cave and I couldn’t figure out where to go so now I’m playing Sandrock. True story.

Ok not gonna lie this happened to me as well.

You have to go back and talk to the first girl in town and when she asks if you are looking for the scale you have to say no lol.

I said yes like 5 times and couldn’t figure out wtf I was supposed to do.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In my absolutely subjective opinion, the GBA versions of FF1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are the best versions. They combine the best version of the graphics with additional content that is separate from the story but still fun. And for FF1 it removes the archaic Vancian magic system in favor of MP like literally every other game in the series.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Ok not gonna lie this happened to me as well.

You have to go back and talk to the first girl in town and when she asks if you are looking for the scale you have to say no lol.

I said yes like 5 times and couldn’t figure out wtf I was supposed to do.

People just figure that out?!?

Thank you.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

People just figure that out?!?

Thank you.
Lol it's pretty silly that that's mandatory, but I just started this game yesterday and you bet I tried the no option after saying yes once

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

MarcusSA posted:

I wondered if it was gonna rile the thread up at all.

Thanks for the input everyone. Will probably just start with 15 and see how it goes. Chill is good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just can't believe there's so many. Do these guys not know the definition of "final"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s the deal with all these fantasies

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Those are all very different games and 7 remake won’t be as interesting for you if you haven’t played the original since it’s not really a remake and you won’t fully appreciate the gimmick.

I think you’d enjoy XV the most if 14 is your only point of reference, since it’s not turn based and the world is nice and open.

Sorry for the double post but curious what about the gimmick makes it a less interesting option? Does the game not work as a standalone option even if it's not a true 7 remake?

I'm only asking since I'm coming in totally blind. Not sure if this is like playing red Dead redemption 2 without playing 1 or if it's like popping in to some games DLC without playing the base. Probably won't bother with emulating in the series if that changes anything.

Edit: can also find the general final fantasy thread if this is off topic

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 22, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mr Newsman posted:

Sorry for the double post but curious what about the gimmick makes it a less interesting option? Does the game not work as a standalone option even if it's not a true 7 remake?

I'm only asking since I'm coming in totally blind. Not sure if this is like playing red Dead redemption 2 without playing 1 or if it's like popping in to some games DLC without playing the base. Probably won't bother with emulating in the series if that changes anything.

E: This is probably a pretty big spoiler for FF7R

My understanding is that the story changes in several key ways from the original, and the game seems to acknowledge that these are changes, implying that the characters are defying their fate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF7R almost completely follows the plot of FF7 but (minor spoiler)the parts where it deviates from the original game's plot are themselves an aspect of the remake's plot. This means if you played FF7 and know the original plot like "oh this guy dies here" you won't be as confused about what's going on. You can still play the remake without being totally confused, it's just an enhanced experience.

Having never played FF7, maybe read the wikipedia plot summary of FF7 before FF7R-- it's really not as necessary as you'd think to be able to play FF7R, it's very welcoming to ignorant folks and is a really fun game.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 22, 2023

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Late to the party, but I use Warpinator on the Deck and Winpirnator on my Windows PC to sync files. Doesn't do autosyncing but lets you control what gets moved and where it goes more than Syncthing. Its also much faster than FTPS or SCP over SSH too.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mr Newsman posted:

it works fine there's just a new thing with fate ghosts that works fine in the story but also is kind of there to add some uncertainty in what's going to happen for people who did play 7 (original). if you didn't, you won't know or appreciate the differences but it's hard to say you're losing out on anything super important

tbh for 1-6 the pixel remasters are perfectly good versions with a bunch of rough edges filed off of 1-3. they don't have bonus content from the gba or other re-releases but on the other hand you're unlikely to bother with the bonus dungeons so i wouldn't consider it a loss (and imo the bonus content wasn't good in the first place, but some people do love it)

7-8 are jury-rigged patched up versions of a 25 year old codebase where the original source code was lost
9 is a unity rewrite of the whole engine
presumably 10 and 12 are actual ports that are semi-modern though nothing's getting 10 rid of its dependence on av sync in cutscenes

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

jokes posted:

Having never played FF7, maybe read the wikipedia plot summary of FF7 before FF7R-- it's really not as necessary as you'd think to be able to play FF7R, it's very welcoming to ignorant folks and is a really fun game.

Brilliant - both of those posts make sense. Just gonna start with 15 I think since it's heavily discounted but good to know.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Edit: can also find the general final fantasy thread if this is off topic

FF thread is probably better for details but you can play FF7R with no knowledge of original FF7 and be fine. That's how I did it and while there are some twists that you appreciate more by knowing the original story you won't be totally lost if it's your first encounter with Cloud and company.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm the guy who absolutely loved FF1 and was super happy with the, what, 50-level bonus Wind dungeon?

Earth was like 10 levels? Then they went up from there for Fire, Water, and Wind.

Beating Death Machine/Omega and Shinryu after like a dozen attempts was super satisfying.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I never played the original and enjoyed the hell out of FF7R. It’s just a goodass game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You should play 7 up to Wall Market so you can fully appreciate how much more involved they made the Cloud cross dressing subplot.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I really really really wanted to like FF7R more than I did, but the constant interruptions in gameplay and the braindead companion AI ("The boss is preparing for an obvious massive attack that'll kill anyone it hits...let's get a closer look!") meant I just couldn't finish it. I should just go back and do it, I was only a few chapters away from the end.

Sounds like part 2 at least hopefully fixes the problem of stopping the gameplay every 5 min to climb a ladder or go through a tight passage.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rosalind posted:

Any recommendations for games like Vampire Survivors that are good mindless games that are on sale right now? I'd love one with slightly more RPG elements if such a thing exists.

Check out Death Must Die. They took the VampSurv formula and mashed it with Hades with a bit of Diablo and I think it's amazing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2334730/Death_Must_Die/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

kliras posted:

there have been rumours about some proper remakes of ff9 and final fantasy tactics, but those rumours are so old who's to say if they're real right now

Tactics had a remaster and retranslation on the PSP. It's much better than the original, though there's a slowdown bug for some animations that you'll need to find a patch for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What’s the deal with all these fantasies

Final my rear end! They keep loving making them

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wanted to say that Unsighted is half off on Steam rn and it is a very cool top down Zelda/metroidvania-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_y7qqfWTI

here is a trailer of it looking cool. the action is very satisfying, featuring parries and active reloading

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Rosalind posted:

Any recommendations for games like Vampire Survivors that are good mindless games that are on sale right now? I'd love one with slightly more RPG elements if such a thing exists.

Brotato is a lot fun and it’s under $5. Lots of weapons and items/stat modifiers, gives you a feeling of more control than VS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I threw down the couple bucks for brotato just now. It looks pretty fun

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I will never use emulationstation when steam ROM manager adds them to collections grouped by system anyway, it’s just an extra layer of abstraction nobody needs

Would you mind trying to get a Famicom Disk System game to show up for you? Nothing I did ever worked, and so I switched to emulation station instead - but like you i'd prefer to have everything in the actual Steam menu

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Accurate. It's a story about a bunch of bros going for a cross-country drive in their tricked out car and the hijinks they get to on the way.

I see this opinion a lot, but I don't think it's an accurate description of FF15.

I think one of the things FF15 does best is that it has this strong foreboding/melancholy feeling accompanying its whole "journey." As you drive around and camp and stuff there's this powerful "calm before the storm" feeling (that ends up being justified).

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot of "light-hearted road-trip" stuff happening during the game's story? I'm struggling to think of much that could really be called "hijinks," outside of "your friends telling jokes sometimes." The main plot is mostly bad stuff happening with Noctis taking some time to spend time with his friends amidst it all. So there's strong themes of comradery, but the story itself isn't light-hearted at all. Hell, the game literally begins with a giant tragedy! It's only truly light-hearted for the first, like, 30-60 minutes.

All of this is why I like FF15 a lot, though. I think it excels at "vibes" and does a great job of leaving a big impact on the player.

edit: So I guess my main issue with the "FF15 is about friends going on a road trip" opinions is that they really sell the game short and give the misleading impression that it's some sort of slice-of-life story. If all I knew about the game was those descriptions, I probably wouldn't have been interested in playing it (since I usually don't get that into slice-of-life stuff).

My more debatable opinion is that I also think FF15's core plot is remarkably good and coherent for an FF game. The main problem is that the game itself isn't great at communicating information about its plot/setting. It's a situation where someone would benefit a lot from viewing side media (like those anime shorts + the silly CGI movie). That's a significant flaw of the game, but if someone does do those things it's actually a very well thought-out setting and plot. I wish the game itself did a better job with that stuff, because it's really the main thing holding its plot back.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 22, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Lies of P.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is reminding me I need to get back to FF6, I played up until The Big Thing but haven't continued much past that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

grieving for Gandalf posted:

wanted to say that Unsighted is half off on Steam rn and it is a very cool top down Zelda/metroidvania-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_y7qqfWTI

here is a trailer of it looking cool. the action is very satisfying, featuring parries and active reloading

Big hyper light drifter vibes from the art, to me. I never finished that one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Isn’t ff15 the one where you have to go deep
Into a bunch of outside media like movies to get the plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, there’s a prequel movie that explains how you get to the start but it doesn’t really matter to the main plot. But any time a games company puts out supplemental media people love acting like it’s all critical information and not just a cool extra.