Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain Invictus posted:

man I loving love any sufficiently advanced medicine is indistinguishable from magic. two more chapters dropped, and just casually teaching vampires how to make tortillas to treat their weakness to the sun lol

I'm sorry what????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm sorry what????

They actually make it make some sense, as crazy as the idea sounds. The "vampires" are mostly eating a diet based around a corn-like plant, and just like corn, if you don't prepare it a certain way, their diets can end up without sufficient niacin, leading to Pellagra. The lye wash prior to making tortillas was developed by Mesoamericans somewhere between 1500 and 1200 BCE in what is now modern Guatemala. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm just enjoying tacos being the isekai super-food instead of soy sauce or the concept of frying stuff. :v:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kvantum posted:

They actually make it make some sense, as crazy as the idea sounds. The "vampires" are mostly eating a diet based around a corn-like plant, and just like corn, if you don't prepare it a certain way, their diets can end up without sufficient niacin, leading to Pellagra. The lye wash prior to making tortillas was developed by Mesoamericans somewhere between 1500 and 1200 BCE in what is now modern Guatemala. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

:biotruths:

(Holy hell, realized that it fits in this specific case lol)

I love series that have actual history included in the sidenotes.

There's a Korean series called "This is the Law" where a lawyer took a trial he knew had severe consequences since it dealt with the president. He is disposed of,returns to the past because he was supposed to live longer. Live longer to fix an unknown "corruption" in the world.

A few chapters back a convience story clerk was arrested because she fought back against her absent father who tracked her down to get money from her. She killed him while struggling to fend him off

In Korean these were open and shut trials. Did you kill an elderly family member and you are young? it's time for a lot of jail. The returnee remembers that the courts have started doing "Judicial Citizen's Participation Trial" which was started in 2008 where they use a jury who are used to give an opinion to the judge.

Read: the returnee uses this to great effect by using strategies the prosecution wouldn't be prepared for.

Link because it very tall

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 22, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Modern medicine Isekai is so goddamn hopeful and wholesome and good.

I really hope the bad guys butt in soon and get ruined because gently caress 'em.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Church's little subfaction that is starting to develop its own theory of medicine too looks fascinating.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

From SSS Suicide Hunter and showing new best girl

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of RTA Isekai

Don't listen to this chick this chapter was great.

EVIL Gibson posted:

From SSS Suicide Hunter and showing new best girl

I know story. That's why it has me conflicted

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Brought To You By posted:

I know story. That's why it has me conflicted

Story? This is a romance novel now, brosef. You having probs of a guy that killed thousands of himself people swooning over a more manly woman? :mmmhmm:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
She's been given powers by the narrative that potentially let her follow the protagonist, so she could be a co-lead, but the story also has her very loyal in her duty to her world and kingdom, which she doesn't plan on leaving. So either something is going to happen that forces her to leave with the protagonist, she just disappears from the story, or the protag will basically chill with her between missions. I have no clue which of these options this story is going to lean towards; it may even go in an entirely different direction. I really like her so far so I hope she doesn't just get written out in the future.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Do not worry about her getting written out, she definitely sticks around somewhat and makes the story more interesting in one aspect. She now knows when the MC dies, so he gets yelled at for doing any massive power abuses and can’t just brute force things.

I think she’s not around for the immediate next arc, but comes back afterwards. I binged the WN when i was sick awhile back so i’m a bit fuzzy, but upcoming arcs go off the rails even harder than it has before this.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 23, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nalin posted:

She's been given powers by the narrative that potentially let her follow the protagonist, so she could be a co-lead, but the story also has her very loyal in her duty to her world and kingdom,

They have demonstrated that players can force the system's hand to make hard changes. If that is possible then I think it could be argued there might be a way to pull a story character out to the "real world".

I do not know what would be worse though; suddenly losing out of all powers they had in the story, leaving the story but not being able to leave the library, or being able to leave the library and have to deal with how poo poo Earth is.

Your second question is interesting because I forgot if these worlds were real or something like Myst where the world and narrative was written from nothing or a virtual simulation of another plane of existence. I think it's the latter .

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I know this is still kind of vague but spoiling stuff from the WN would be appreciated.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Your second question is interesting because I forgot if these worlds were real or something like Myst where the world and narrative was written from nothing or a virtual simulation of another plane of existence. I think it's the latter .
I think it's simulations. The books are not unlike the previous floors for the demon lord arc, or the lost children's on floor 10. They all appear to be snapshots of different dimensions taken before the "apocalypse" occurs and/or after a great tragedy. Case in point, when the Librarian and Kim are talking about the Murim floor we already know what originally happened to that world. The leader of the Martial Alliance succumbs to his zombification and the Heavenly Demon goes berserk and wanders the frozen world; the end.

Constellations though all seem to be one-of-a-kind so the corpse of the dragon that was in the Murim book is probably the original one brought over by the Librarian to both facilitate the plague for the book scenario, and to quarantine the body of a dead god. Same with the different sisters to Shiny, those should all be the original articles as I don't think any duplicates were ever mentioned being made. The boss from the Demon Lord floor I think is just a copy unless I'm forgetting it being mentioned as a constellation. Raviel is likely the original article because of her regression ability granting her pseudo-immortality and I think everyone else in her world is just a perfect copy and she's never noticed the difference.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

New chapter of RTA Isekai

Don't listen to this chick this chapter was great.

Spoilers for the boss of Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEB1P88vu8A

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here's an Isekai that reminds me a lot of Frieren.

https://mangadex.org/title/8280b28c-aeff-4f89-ac99-a4c783e14782/tensei-shite-high-elf-ni-narimashitaga-slow-life-wa-120-nen-de-akimashita

Normal dude is Isekai'ed into a High Elf. Meaning he's gonna live for 1000 years and eventually become an immortal spirit.

He's not cut out for the life of solitude in the forests, being a former human, so he goes out into the world to experience new things and adventures.

A lot of time passes quickly and the protagonist's long lifespan does come up quite a lot, so it ends up being bittersweet.

There is some brief nudity and there is mention of slavery. During the slavery discussion, scenes of bare boobs are on display. That said, the slavery is portrayed negatively and the MC and others work to stop it so it's not glorified or treated as "Just how things are" like in other Isekais.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

7c Nickel posted:

Spoilers for the boss of Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEB1P88vu8A

This just made me start this series just because if you mention it's similar to THAT fight, then I need to see it.

Also another hell yeah for Dragons Dogma 2 coming out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
New chapter of 'Captain Corinth: The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer' dropped

https://mangadex.org/title/48221bce-0fd2-4519-b5f3-4fdc1921007b/kouchuugun-shikan-boukensha-ni-naru

Finally getting to see the city and castle the ship's AI has been working on in the demon forest and as expected, its awesome

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

New chapter of 'Captain Corinth: The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer' dropped

https://mangadex.org/title/48221bce-0fd2-4519-b5f3-4fdc1921007b/kouchuugun-shikan-boukensha-ni-naru

Finally getting to see the city and castle the ship's AI has been working on in the demon forest and as expected, its awesome

I liked the series because sci fi good. I just feel like giving the MC nanomachines that make magic and poo poo trivial for him made him kinda boring compared to other protags.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

khy posted:

I liked the series because sci fi good. I just feel like giving the MC nanomachines that make magic and poo poo trivial for him made him kinda boring compared to other protags.

I mean that makes him as overpowered as the average isekai MC, so not really all that unusual. I like at least there's a valid explanation in his case.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i think they could have stalled him making the big secret more.
My favorite part of most isekai is when the MC stays incognito.

I found it more entertaining that the Princess keeps thinking he is some super top royal from a far country and he's blessed with fairy spirits. The introduction of the twin subcaptains that showed up is neat though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In a way this is actually "more Frieren than Frieren" because it emphasizes the passing of time more, while Frieren has only shown a few time "leaps."

One thing I think this does a good job of pulling off is the pacing. It manages to stay on each new location and set of characters long enough that it's easier to remember the characters in question and get a sense that "a lot of time has passed."

This is definitely the sort of isekai story where it's sorta baffling why the protagonist needs to be a reincarnated Earth person, though. The only real reason is "to explain why he can't tolerate living like a high elf," but you could easily have a "normal" character like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of immortal isekai stories, there's a villainess reincarnation webtoon called The Vampire's Plans to Die in Peace, which is about a girl who reincarnates as an immortal vampire queen, the antagonist of a novel she read. Except she reincarnates about a thousand years before the events of the story, and also she originally died from committing suicide and considers being immortal now some kind of sick joke for a person who wants to die. So her only goal is to die, and the only way she can die is to be killed by the holy sword wielded by the hero, so she spends a thousand years manipulating things behind the scenes to set up the circumstances of her own death. Except less painfully this time, hopefully.

That said, it doesn't dwell too much on the time skips. There's a large time skip to "almost present day" when all the main characters of the novel are kids, and most of her life is presented in flashbacks when it becomes relevant. And then later a second timeskip so the kids can grow up. It's also sort of interesting that she has specifically forgotten everything about her past life because it was just such a tiny part of her thousand years, and the only real effects of it are A) she wrote down the relevant details of the novel before she could forget, and B) she is still driven by a desire to die, even though she's completely forgotten why.

Anyway, she's basically Dracula from Castlevania and that's funny to me.

Edit: CW, it's implied that a kid she vampirizes at one point might grow up to be a love interest, although for as far as I've read she displays negative interest in him.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I know this is still kind of vague but spoiling stuff from the WN would be appreciated.

Spoiling, or not spoiling? I assume you meant the latter, outside of the question I answered I didn’t mention anything the comic hasn’t revealed already.

In either case, I don’t plan on saying anything more :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fellis posted:

Spoiling, or not spoiling? I assume you meant the latter, outside of the question I answered I didn’t mention anything the comic hasn’t revealed already.

In either case, I don’t plan on saying anything more :)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This is definitely the sort of isekai story where it's sorta baffling why the protagonist needs to be a reincarnated Earth person, though. The only real reason is "to explain why he can't tolerate living like a high elf," but you could easily have a "normal" character like that.
There have absolutely been a lot of fantasy series over the past few years that shoehorned in some irrelevant isekai isekai element because... it's easier to get published? It's the current fad?

Another example would probably be Saihate no Paladin. Having a second chance at life is a core part of the theme, sure, but nothing about it requires the protagonist to originally come from earth. Even better is that to the best of my knowledge it literally never comes up after the single mention in the prologue. Don't get me wrong, it's a great series, but it's hilarious how superficially that bit was shoved in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP cute boy isekai, cancelled after a dozen bleh chapters lmao.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Apparently it was just made to promote the novels, never planned to go long,

One I find interesting lately is I Awoke as an Imprisoned Villainess,

Mangadex posted:

Sophia Alcott, the daughter of Earl Alcott, lives a lonely life as a maligned and infamous shut in, with nothing to do but to work on her skills as a budding apothecary in the dusty storeroom she's forced to call home. That is until she suddenly wakes up one day and finds herself in the body of an even more infamous villainess (one who actually earned her reputation) locked up in a tower. But although the only clue she has about how this happened is a cryptic note, instead of despairing about her new situation, she's in awe at just how luxurious the treatment she's receiving in this 'prison' is compared to how she had to live before.

Meanwhile, back at Earl Alcott's mansion, all hell is about to break loose. That's because...

It's this weird combination of sweet kid transplanted into the Villainess with the flipside of Villainess turning the tables on those who deserve it, with a couple mysteries thrown in for good measure Villainess knew this would happen, but no revelation as to how or why yet, First Prince is almost certainly being poisoned by someone, And Otome Game Heroine Character is somehow maliciously involved.

I do get the feeling that they'd wind up friends once the scheduled meet-in-person occurs.

I also stumbled across the first three light novels of Fake Saint of the Year: You Wanted the Perfect Saint? Too Bad! which I've been enjoying, as well.

Amazon posted:

After yet another late night of playing his favorite dating sim, Fudou Niito—a self-proclaimed lazy NEET—suddenly wakes up to find himself inside the game! Stranger still, he hasn’t been reincarnated as the main character, Verner, or as his beloved waifu, Eterna... Instead, he’s Ellize, the absolutely awful fake saint who stole Eterna’s rightful place and made her life a living hell!

And so, Niito now has one goal: change the story to ensure the game’s tragic heroine finally gets the happy ending she deserves! To do that, he’ll have to play matchmaker for Verner and Eterna while also boosting the saint’s popularity! Can this imposter scheme his way into a happy future for his favorite character?

Ther'es a bit of "ehhh" for the male character reincarnated as female character trope but also has those "I don't think I'm a good person, I'm putting up a front so people don't viciously turn on me" vibes like Tearmoon Empire. Also Ellize's ridiculous level of overpowerness that puts her orders of magnitude above all previous actual saints is kind of hilarous.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

RIP cute boy isekai, cancelled after a dozen bleh chapters lmao.

Yeah and what a disturbing ending.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the what isekai

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raserys posted:

the what isekai

https://mangadex.org/title/7a892279-ff67-4a8c-b58f-2880422198a7/zangyaku-sugiru-isekai-demo-suzuki-wa-kawaii

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Oh that one. I dropped it once we realized it was just going to be an ad for the LN (and personally I didn't find it palatable enough to even consider reading the LN either).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh that one. Kind of bummed since the concept had potential for some good comedy. Did it do anything interesting after the first chapter because that's all I remember reading of it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He has to deal with the fact that even if he is personally adored, other humans are still seen as slaves or food, and there is nothing he can do about it without slowly rising through the ranks of demonic society.

But as posted, it was kinda hard to want to keep reading after finding out it was just a short ad and wouldn't have an ending.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

Ther'es a bit of "ehhh" for the male character reincarnated as female character trope but also has those "I don't think I'm a good person, I'm putting up a front so people don't viciously turn on me" vibes like Tearmoon Empire. Also Ellize's ridiculous level of overpowerness that puts her orders of magnitude above all previous actual saints is kind of hilarous.

I think it is interesting compared to the other similar "I'm in a story game" when he goes back to the real world (that fact came out of nowhere or I just missed it) and finds out the new routes/stories he is doing in the game is actually being applied to the game where no one but the speed runners/fans of the game notice

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

When I read stories like this one I think the author should have just made the porn they really wanted to instead. Not as bad as that pedophile knight one, but the pedophile knight one at least had really great monster designs.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

The junk collector posted:

When I read stories like this one I think the author should have just made the porn they really wanted to instead. Not as bad as that pedophile knight one, but the pedophile knight one at least had really great monster designs.

They probably did or still do.

They also use many pseudonyms

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I honestly really like the juxtaposed wuxia x tacticlol designs in The Villainous Warrior.

I'm a handful of chapters in and I rather like it, really helps that it's not a ' oh no I'm the weakest villain, oops I tripped and my mouth fell onto a hyperdragon 9999years of condensed hyperchi flower 2 steps off the beaten path and I'm the strongest now. ' story. Guy has improved a bit, but he's always using cheap tricks to gain the upper hand.

E: Ah, yes, wuxiabucks.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 26, 2023

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

this is the most lmao concept for a reverse isekai:

https://mangadex.org/title/b10ccfe8-60c6-415a-8f09-e380cf147fbe/vtuber-confucius

its about confucius (and a young disciple of his) coming to the present and deciding to become a vtuber to spread his wisdom

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SpiritOfLenin posted:

this is the most lmao concept for a reverse isekai:

https://mangadex.org/title/b10ccfe8-60c6-415a-8f09-e380cf147fbe/vtuber-confucius

its about confucius (and a young disciple of his) coming to the present and deciding to become a vtuber to spread his wisdom

We already had "Ya Boy Kongming". Which one is the lazy, unoriginal knock-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think it is interesting compared to the other similar "I'm in a story game" when he goes back to the real world (that fact came out of nowhere or I just missed it) and finds out the new routes/stories he is doing in the game is actually being applied to the game where no one but the speed runners/fans of the game notice

I've read up to the third light novel, and for once, I'm okay so far with the "why were you reincarnated in a game world" reason. I haven't read many where I've liked the reason. For instance, the one in I'm In Love With The Villainess made me think much worse of the pre-reincarnation character, for multiple reasons.

Back to Fake Saint of the Year, light novel spoilers: It is a bit insane though, that the game apparently includes a completely fleshed-out unique storyline with multiple fully-fleshed out unique events and characters that only shows up with a (save-scummable) 0.02% chance and if and only if you decide to have the main character of the dating sim work out in his room constantly for weeks instead of interacting with any of the capture targets, resulting it in only being discovered 4 years after the game's release.

If other things weren't in play, I would absolutely have expected it to be found within a month or two by someone trying to mod the game or do a stat dump for the wiki.