Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus: Adblock is stealing.
Also Linus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Both are true I bet

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

down1nit posted:

Both are true I bet
Linus is also still a thief and a liar.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
He drops things too

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress linus

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

beep by grandpa posted:

gently caress linus

I will not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr.Radar posted:

Also Linus:

So is this one of those suspiciously cheap android TV boxes that comes pre-loaded with every piece of malware and spyware that they could get their hands on?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

onn. is Walmart's house brand so I won't say no but it at least is not directly sourced from Temu

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

So is this one of those suspiciously cheap android TV boxes that comes pre-loaded with every piece of malware and spyware that they could get their hands on?

The malware-infested boxes are just running a skinned version of the phone version of Android.

The ONN box is a certified Android TV/Google TV device running the proper Android TV OS so it's clean, and people also checked it for the malware stuff found on the generic boxes and it didn't have any of that.

https://www.android.com/certified/partners/

They're cheap mostly because low specs and being a Walmart house brand.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FULLY LOADED

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Buy the Onn, get STube and enjoy no ads and sponsorblock. Thank the linus

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Also Linus:

He never said "don't use an adblock", he just wants people to be honest with themselves and admit that using adblock on an ad supported free service is fundamentally piracy. He's literally never been militantly anti-piracy like everyone seems to paint him as.

He's also just correct on his adblock take, as someone who uses adblock. It's piracy and I'm fine with that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Adblock is piracy in the same way that piracy is theft

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

He never said "don't use an adblock", he just wants people to be honest with themselves and admit that using adblock on an ad supported free service is fundamentally piracy. He's literally never been militantly anti-piracy like everyone seems to paint him as.

He's also just correct on his adblock take, as someone who uses adblock. It's piracy and I'm fine with that.

Oh hell na

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would download a car if I could.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

it's not piracy lmao. piracy is copyright infringement and is illegal. it's not illegal to block ads (yet)

it's piracy when you change the channel during a commercial! AHHH

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Theft of services

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Obviously we should all just be good consumers and absorb content like we absorb the pink homogeneous slime that is obviously the optimal sustenance as it contains all the macro- and micro-nutrients that the average human needs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inept posted:

Podcasters do make this exact argument

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, I think you should be honest with yourself - if you are watching ad-supported content and running an adblocker, you are fundamentally leeching off of the system. I place myself squarely within this category and don't mind it a bit because I want the ad-supported ecosystem to die and be replaced by something better, but I can understand a YouTube creator calling out this same basic fact and saying they don't like adblockers from a position of their own rational self-interest.

It's a little bit different for YouTube vs. podcasts as far as I understand it because YouTube has more direct metrics on how many ads actually reached a user browser, and therefore it is possible for a significant share of users running adblockers to directly cause a proportional share in payout reduction. With podcasts I would assume your payments are based on a combination of referrals and subscriber/listener count, as there's no direct way for the advertisers to know how many users listen to a given ad.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 22, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Obviously we should all just be good consumers and absorb content like we absorb the pink homogeneous slime that is obviously the optimal sustenance as it contains all the macro- and micro-nutrients that the average human needs.

Insane strawman, I literally said I use adblock and like it.

I just don't see the moral difference between adblock and piracy (I know there is a legal difference). YouTube is only free to watch because of ads, if everyone installed an adblocker tomorrow then YouTube would either cease to exist or would move to being an entirely paid service. You're not even just sticking it to the man by stealing from Google, YouTube just doesn't pay the creator you're watching when you're an adblock view. Fundamentally, you're watching content that has a price to entry and not paying the price. You're even directly costing the provider money, in the cost of streaming it to you, in a way that traditional piracy obviously doesn't.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Not signing up for BlueChew using your favorite channel's referall code is piracy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One time I cut a tag off a mattress and then I changed my identity so the law would never catch me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Inept posted:

If television companies paid each program per view, then had precise tracking that didn't pay the program if a user changed channel in the ad break, I'm sure it would be more of an issue for the actors in your favourite television show. I'm sure the television companies would loving love that, but right now it's a very different scheme.

You cannot seriously expect full time YouTubers, funded from ad revenue, to not give a poo poo about adblock.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

I would download a car if I could.

Man I bought a 3d printer specifically so I could download poo poo and not pay for it.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Are... are you referencing The Stuff?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

You cannot seriously expect full time YouTubers, funded from ad revenue, to not give a poo poo about adblock.

Most full time youtubers are doing patreons and merchandising because ad revenue is poo poo because youtube is a monopoly

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
That's why you get rid of ads and just do product placement.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

Agreed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Using an ad blocker means the creator isn't making money off of you from youtube monetization, but it doesn't mean they're not making off of you period.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If YouTubers wanted money maybe they should have gotten a real job :bahgawd:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Harminoff posted:

That's why you get rid of ads and just do product placement.

billion dollar idea: use AI to insert product placement into existing videos

you hit a mid-roll and steve nexus is suddenly holding a delicious coca cola in an 8 fingered hand

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cathode Ray Dude's been having a poo poo time of it it seems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9hvrwEBvIE

Glad he's doing better, but still oof at all these things going wrong at once.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Branch Nvidian posted:

came here to post this

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
30K for a partial sewer line replacement seems like it's at least double what it should be. I hope he didn't get fleeced, but we'll never know.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Just want to add, he is correct about the sewer pipe, we have an 90 year clay one that we have been told is in good condition but also that it could randomly fail and cost us like $20k to replace.

Fortunately we have the money, but we lived in a gentrified neighborhood where basically you are either poor or upper-middle class and it's the kind of thing people lose their houses over.

SpartanIvy posted:

30K for a partial sewer line replacement seems like it's at least double what it should be. I hope he didn't get fleeced, but we'll never know.

Nope, I mean, it depends on a lot of factors, but we have $20k budgeted in our minds knowing at worse we would have to pay to repair an alley and not a street.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 22, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
“At least double what it should be” describes basically every home repair.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Blue Moonlight posted:

“At least double what it should be” describes basically every home repair.

Also, when you suddenly you literarily can't poo poo in your own house until major repairs are done, turns out contractors have a ton of leverage over you and your decision making process and everyone loves contractors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pigma_Micron posted:

Are... are you referencing The Stuff?
Holy poo poo, how have I never heard about this movie before?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Inept posted:

Most full time youtubers are doing patreons and merchandising because ad revenue is poo poo because youtube is a monopoly

Yup, plus quite a few have different sponsorships so I suspect ads really don't bring much revenue for the creator, more for the platform than anything. YT, like any other large business, is using stupid manipulation tactics ("YoU'rE HuRtInG CrEaToRs") & they're failing because people see through the bullshit.