Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Most of them say they're going to port their stuff for free. Most of them are likely telling the truth.

I hadn't heard this, I'm surprised! I kind of assumed, considering all you hear about with 3rd party FS devs is generally horrible customer service/practices. I remember having to email PMDG back in the day because I had to reinstall a product I begged my parents to buy too many times because I was an idiot kid that would gently caress up my computer/FS installation constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My only issue with them releasing a game four years after the last one is I picked it up at the end of 2022, so I will have only had it for two years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
lol I bought the game on steam during a sale last year because I wanted to non G1000 C172 and then they immediately announced 2024.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

At least it’s not EA SPORTS FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, all at full AAA price, and with maybe some different tail numbers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wait no,

EA Sports: John and Martha King Flight Sim 2024

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm old so ten years feels like a blink of an eye to me, but honestly four years is a very sensible interval for full releases.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
MSFS2020 came at the right time. Everyone was tired of being locked up and it offered a safe escape to see the world.
I doubt 2024 will be as successful. And probably will be the last one for 10 years.

Not to mention I think it took everyone by surprise at how gorgeous it looked.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
New-MSFS is a lot more accessible than XPlane and is a lot less insane-boomer-y. That counts for a lot, as well as built-in terrain imagery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it being available on xbox and gamepass does a lot. It's a huge download, but people can boot up their xbox and think it would be cool to fly a plane. So that would keep bringing in users.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

xgalaxy posted:

MSFS2020 came at the right time. Everyone was tired of being locked up and it offered a safe escape to see the world.
I doubt 2024 will be as successful. And probably will be the last one for 10 years.

Not to mention I think it took everyone by surprise at how gorgeous it looked.

I had extremely non-gamer non-flightsim people bring up msfs, just because "you can fly anywhere on the globe and it looks great" has such a broad appeal. I don't think you can just dismiss it as "lol covid"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I casually mentioned to my dad back in 2021 that I had just bought a new video card and MSFS and he blurted out "OHH, you dog" with legitimate jealousy in his voice. It was surprising considering the last game playing we did together was Duke Nukem 3D, but I remember him having a little flight yoke setup in his office when I visited one year.

Dads being dads

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

But you can't really call yourself a flightsimmer until you've bought an airplane from a website that looks like it was last updated in 2003 and paid more than you did for the actual sim.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Flight simming has strayed from its roots, now if you want a miserable storefront experience you have to play Run 8 or wargames in continuous development since 1997.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Squiggle posted:

Flight simming has strayed from its roots, now if you want a miserable storefront experience you have to play Run 8 or wargames in continuous development since 1997.

Run 8 really does capture that “Is this a game? Can I buy this? What am I paying for?” Vibe of old sim markets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are the Reno air race planes worth the 40 bucks for the bundle?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Squiggle posted:

I casually mentioned to my dad back in 2021 that I had just bought a new video card and MSFS and he blurted out "OHH, you dog" with legitimate jealousy in his voice. It was surprising considering the last game playing we did together was Duke Nukem 3D, but I remember him having a little flight yoke setup in his office when I visited one year.

Dads being dads

My dad had copies of FS95 and got them every time until 2004, and we pirated FSX because we finally got DSL in 2005. I think he might have also played versions before 95.

He wasn't perfect but damned if he didn't get me in these games. He walked so I could run, and now I have approach plates at my desk and can cold start a 737 and A10 by memory, and he won't even play 2020 because it's too much info.

ETA: Speaking of too much info and nostalgia. I remember going to Fry's Electronics in the early-mid 2000s and seeing 2 entire aisles with just PC games, and one of the 4 sides of these aisles were all flight simulator addons and sceneries. We never bought any of them and I didn't know anything about that ecosystem, but just imagine such a thing.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 21, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Run 8 really does capture that “Is this a game? Can I buy this? What am I paying for?” Vibe of old sim markets.

Want more than one module at once? Well gently caress you you have to buy them one at a time and manually reenter everything on this web form every time until your bank puts a fraud hold on your card.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
MSFS2020 being available on XBox has also made a big difference.
12 million players on xbox is an insane market to get money out of, but also to ease into flight sims and make people even realize they like it. Especially it being on Gamepass has caused a lot of people to get into it, and many have even transfered to PC to get real serious about it.

Despite what weirdo boomer grogs say, MSFS on console is wonderful to the game economy and ensuring it gets attention and updates. And it blows my mind how drat well it runs on console.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
The EF-24G Electronic Warfare Fighter for VTOL VR has been released!

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Can you use a real stick yet?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sorry for the repost but I didn't want anyone interested in the FSR500 to miss my birdstrike

Apparently there's a tiny chance it could happen if the METAR is warning of birds in the area. From what I understand it'll affect cabin pressurization but I didn't get high enough, and at the time I didn't notice any engine or prop issues so I'm not sure if there's other effects.

I've hit a few birds in RL and I think this startled me more.

A bit of a trip report re that process to trick MSFS into using FSR for 30-series cards.

https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3

It's not without it's issues. Menus like the ATC window can get glitchy but by no means is it unusable. There's also some light flickering at times, especially reflections on glass.

Like Nvidia Frame Generation it requires you to have a decentish framerate to begin with but if you're over 40 fps without the mod, installing this will give you approx 80. I'm running my 3080ti flat out at 3440x1440 Ultra and getting 98+ fps (I have nvcp cap at 2 frames less than my monitor's refresh of 100Hz, to keep g-sync/free-sync happy).

On the whole pretty nifty.

This, however, is really something that should have been in MSFS from the start:

https://github.com/Fragtality/DynamicLOD

Can confirm that this works great and is pretty risk free to try it out yourself. Still experimenting but I currently have it set to TLOD of 80 on the ground, 100 above 1000ft, 150 above 3000ft, and 300 over 8000ft. OLOD is set to always 200 because my 5800X3D dgaf

Combined with the FSR dll hack above I've never seen MSFS perform so well.

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 22, 2023

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.

CBJamo posted:

Can you use a real stick yet?

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe there is a mod for HOTAS support.
Maybe this one?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there a worthwhile CDU app you can pair with MSFS for the PMDG 737? I've seen XP72 on his streams use one, but the one I found on the App Store only seems to be for X-Plane.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Getoutnow posted:

The EF-24G Electronic Warfare Fighter for VTOL VR has been released!

:radcat:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rot posted:

Sorry for the repost but I didn't want anyone interested in the FSR500 to miss my birdstrike

I knew the failure modeling on the FSR500 was pretty deep but that's amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rot posted:

I've hit a few birds in RL and I think this startled me more.

No poo poo. Last birdstrike I had, judging by the evidence, had the luckiest moment of his life right before the least lucky: seems he made it through the spinning prop and met his demise upon the landing light. It's rarely something as spicy as shattering the windshield.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

PT6A posted:

No poo poo. Last birdstrike I had, judging by the evidence, had the luckiest moment of his life right before the least lucky: seems he made it through the spinning prop and met his demise upon the landing light. It's rarely something as spicy as shattering the windshield.

Big helicopter AME here, we spent 90% of our time in the bird zone. Birds tend to bounce off the windshield and go up into the main rotor, usually right near the hub where everything is at it's strongest but it still makes a huge mess. Sikorsky stuff will eat seagulls all day but we really had to watch out for larger birds like eagles, herons, and geese. We fly slow enough that you can sometimes see them coming (and avoid the big ones) so it's not as much of a surprise. It's more like, "aw poo poo" and I make a mental note of things to do when we land.

Once we ran over a bat that got caught in a windshield wiper, poor guy :(

Our Learjet ate a duck on short final once, I wasn't onboard but I bet that was an exiting time for everyone.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Main issue with stuff like that in default MSFS is apparently convincing the IRL manufactures to have their planes in a game where you can crash those planes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Main issue with stuff like that in default MSFS is apparently convincing the IRL manufactures to have their planes in a game where you can crash those planes.

I've always heard this too, but I wonder if its still true? I mean certainly they don't want flaming wrecks and all that, but with the fidelity of the high end stuff now I'd be surprised if they aren't more willing to allow some wiggle to show off safety and/or redundant systems.

I get why people ask for high end damage models and crazy crashing but I always think given there's 100000000 hours more of turbonerd tubeliner simmers fastidiously following every SOP that it probably just doesn't make sense to model too much.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I think that's why FSReborn called their M500 the "FSR500" - no Piper branding.

The story, how I understand it: 1) the licensing would have increased the price and 2) they weren't into having malfunctions and failures.

But there's other Piper branded products out there with failures, so I dunno.

Maybe because the M500 is a current aircraft intended for a completely different audience than say, the private pilot buying an old beat up Comanche :shrug:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nice thing about gliders is you can share thermals with birds.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I have full, boxed copies of most flight sims since the mid 90s (Janes, F4, DiD, Imagic, pretty much everything). Not every sim, but probably 90% of them.... and other games before Steam became the defacto standard.

I am pretty anal with keeping boxes and manuals mint, but drat, they're taking up a non-zero amount of space. Other than dumping it, ideas what to do?

I have no idea if anything has any "value" - do people collect stuff like that?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

So I have full, boxed copies of most flight sims since the mid 90s (Janes, F4, DiD, Imagic, pretty much everything). Not every sim, but probably 90% of them.... and other games before Steam became the defacto standard.

I am pretty anal with keeping boxes and manuals mint, but drat, they're taking up a non-zero amount of space. Other than dumping it, ideas what to do?

It might have value, check completed auctions on e-bay or maybe like some other sites.. I know that folks like Lazy Game Revies enjoy boxed copies of software, and that there' money in boxed vintage console games.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

If you're feeling very ambitious you could scan all the manuals. There's a good chance most of them are already on archive.org, but if any aren't you'd be doing the world of service by doing that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

slidebite posted:

There are collectors, you're one of them :)

Yeah, see what manuals are available digitally and do that work if you feel like it. Other than that just do the Marie Kondo thing and get rid of the ones you don't care about as much. Janes stuff I would personally keep, imagic to me was just the demos we ended up with somehow and while I respect them, they don't hold up even as much as a Janes equivalent and if you similarly don't care, maybe dump those.

You could probably get a bit of money if the boxes and manuals are in good condition. You know already we simmers have money.

Some guy in SA Mart was also looking to buy old 90s games recently.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not sure if anyone is following the latest Honeycomb Aeronautical news, but yeah.

So what is the community going to do about Honeycomb Aeronautical?

I like my Alpha and Bravo but I'm not sure I can recommend them anymore. It used to be "Get the Alpha and Bravo but expect poor customer support" now it seems like avoid the Alpha and Bravo unless you understand that there will be NO customer support.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope my Honeycomb never breaks, I love my yoke controller, and at this point it would kill Microsoft Flight Sim for me were I no longer able to use it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Feels like a case of trying to grow too quick. If they'd only done the Alpha and stuck with it, they'd be beloved.

The Bravo was unnecessary because "wow this throttle is weird, lovely and bizarrely non-linear" is the experience of flying a real plane, so you can get away with cheap poo poo.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The different yoke / throttle product choices out there is abysmal.
Feels bad. Wish we had choices like sim racing does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was just about to pull the trigger on an alpha. From amazon, not from their store, but maybe I won't know. I guess I'll just stick to my T1600. I've wanted a yoke for years, but it seems like you can't get a decent one and also have a company that sticks around. Though the fact that it comes back in stock at retailers but people ordering directly from their website don't get anything makes me think they are trying to get back above water by just taking money form their store to make products to fulfill contracts with retailers and hoping they can get enough volume to start back filling their own orders. Like what happened with that coolest cooler kickstarter thing. Though that never worked and they shut down in 2019.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 28, 2023