Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Get their rear end dee lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hope they bring back Bruce each season just to see how many people gun for him out the gate.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

There's also this, which is, uh, odd

gently caress EM UP

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
To be clear I personally do not think it is good for her to threaten someone's livelihood for calling her basic in an Instagram comment

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I was really disappointed watching this but it isn’t wrong to say Dee deserved it. I think I just wanted it to be a bit more aggressive and scheming.

My frame of reference may be a bit skewed because my wife and I spent most of 2021 watching all the season 40 contestants winner seasons (+a couple extra) for the ultimate experience, and so I obviously got huge doses of masterful gameplay and watching the game evolve in front of my eyes that it’s tough for a standard season to compare now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dee’s gameplay was just as ‘masterful’.

Why make ‘moves’ when you don’t need them to win?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah we've seen it a lot where people feel the need to make moves when they're already in a good spot and it completely ruins their game

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
They need to "make a move" to impress the Jury even though that is obviously not true

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly, I think Dee genuinely deserved it for her social game. She kicked Austin's poo poo in strategically by holding back the truth, got his one solid man eliminated, and he forgave her for it. Being able to betray someone you're willing to call your significant other on live television, only to be forgiven because you are genuinely a kind person, is great TV and something you only really see on survivor I think!

Edit: did anyone else notice this season's editing putting a big emphasis on just how hard it is to lie to someone that you like personally? That's a nice overall arc to go for and I think they pulled it off.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 22, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Dee’s gameplay was just as ‘masterful’.

Why make ‘moves’ when you don’t need them to win?

I’m not saying Dee’s wasn’t and that should’ve made a move, or that she didn’t play a good game, I’m saying her competition was not good and entertaining. By ‘it’ I meant the season

I’m not sure how Austin still rolled with Dee after the Drew blindside, when he had basically 3 easy goats and a decent chance at winning final 4 immunity. Maybe he wanted a shield? And then of course Jake and Katurah continuing to fumble.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What 3 easy goats? People kept talking about how much they loved Julie.

I’m not sure Jake and Katurah were necessarily goats either until after F5. Katurah was getting praised as a speaker and Jake had a big sympathy angle. If they pulled that F5 move off and get rid of Dee they look a lot better and Austin looks a lot weaker.

Also season was great, lots of big characters and interactions. If you want chess pieces playing against each other you can watch Game Changers or something, it’s more fun when there’s some emotional fumbles.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
What was the deal with the weird whispering to Katurah twice about how she could be a lawyer

Like, she was hiding that she wasn't a lawyer but was she pretending to want to be one? Wtf

Season was good except for some really bad players doing stupid poo poo and telling everyone about their advantages but that's modern survivor so

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Katurah talked about the stuff she did for a living without saying she was a lawyer (she worked for a lot of civil rights).

So both Jake and Julie told her she should go be a lawyer. She mentioned this in her exit press.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I’m not sure in what world Jake and Katurah weren’t obvious goats. And for Julie, everyone loved Jake and it didn’t quite pan out for him. Julie also had to get bailed out by Dee, which isn’t a great look at FT.

My belief is that newer era survivor is made up of survivor nuts, who first and foremost love the competitive aspect of the game. The primary way to get a Jury member’s vote at the end is that they need to be convinced that your were a better Survivor player than them. Not that you had a better story, or were nicer, or were likeable, but that they could competitively respect the game you played.l and that “you got me this time”

Therefore I think you almost always win more points by being clever and ruthless, because that’s what everyone wants to do. And really just don’t be an rear end in a top hat. It felt like many of the later players didn’t quite grasp this or at least fumbled at realizing how dominant of a game the Reba 4 were playing, and even within the Reba 4 it seemed only Drew kinda knew what the outcomes would look like.

I suppose there is a method in playing consistent and hoping that a split goes your way (Austin was only off by one vote+Jake), but it leaves some excitement on the table, especially when the other players around were dead in the water.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 22, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They pretty much told everyone about their idols this season or found them in group hunting sessions. Fuckin pointless I say.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm curious as to why they're shying away from having more returnee seasons

i'm also curious about going back and watching some older seasons

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CODChimera posted:

i'm curious as to why they're shying away from having more returnee seasons

i'm also curious about going back and watching some older seasons

It took until season 8 to have the All Stars season. So if they were fully committed to restarting everything after season 40, it would make sense that we wouldn't have an all stars season until 48. Can't really find anything that confirms that 48 is an all new player season, although I haven't looked to hard.

The real question is why they are focused on keeping every 40s season formulated where the twists are not even a surprise to the cast, because it's the same twists and the same time in the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In other news, Australian Survivor is coming back on Feb 5th with Titans vs Rebels as the theme. All new player season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJ08Z7CtkY

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It just reinforces the cold honest truth you should never trust a lawyer especially if they play mafia on the internet

Basically

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Really good tribal. Austin and Dee going at each other harder than three people who were barely connected to each other in most of the previous "new" survivors was a fun twist; Austin did really good, Dee did a little better, hell Jake was practically telling everyone to vote for her at the end. Fun season even it wasn't good from a ~gameplay~ perspective, but that's not the total reason I watch the show so it's fine.

I remember thinking, Dee and Reba's move to get out Caleb was really over confident; I thought it would cement Emily with Belo and they'd cut the head off the alliance and we'd go into the modern mode of micro alliances and such. It didn't work, we pretty much had slight twist on the classic Pagonging (although worse because Pagong didn't actively blow their own games up so hard). Dee was right and I was wrong and she really had great control of the whole thing. She was easily the deserving winner.

E: and I think it's really interesting that in a game where so many of the confessions were people saying that the way they were going to win was "find an idol and do something flashy for the jury" that Dee just won it through good alliances and well-timed votes.

Rick fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 22, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I watched to Katurah completely nuking her own plan and just read the thread to see who won, I feel like this poo poo rear end season has taken enough of my life.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sia money split 3 ways

https://twitter.com/realitytv__fan/status/1738018360854520194

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Jake can use the money to fix his balls after they got stomped over and over again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Katurah can use the money to pretend she didn't piss her only chance of winning up the wall for no reason.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

To be clear I personally do not think it is good for her to threaten someone's livelihood for calling her basic in an Instagram comment

Tbf I'm not from the area, nor Cuban, but I feel like that's a v. Specific area called out and there could be implications about Cuban women from that post 🤔

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

Tbf I'm not from the area, nor Cuban, but I feel like that's a v. Specific area called out and there could be implications about Cuban women from that post 🤔

Correct.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
My votes for anyone wanting to dip into older seasons (without watching anything that’ll spoil the big returnee seasons)

S7 Pearl islands
S13 Cook Islands
S15 China
S18 Tocantins
S37 David v Goliath

And the players might reference past seasons/winners in this, I can’t remember, but s33 Millennials v GenX is a good intro one too

S28 Cagayan is an excellent season as well but very annoyingly spoils the winner of s16 Micronesia (fans v favorites) which is a returnee season i think is top tier and thus a big bummer to spoil.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tocantins might be my favorite newbie cast tbh. Several all-time great Survivor characters on there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pearl islands was 20 years ago lol good god

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It took until season 8 to have the All Stars season. So if they were fully committed to restarting everything after season 40, it would make sense that we wouldn't have an all stars season until 48. Can't really find anything that confirms that 48 is an all new player season, although I haven't looked to hard.

The real question is why they are focused on keeping every 40s season formulated where the twists are not even a surprise to the cast, because it's the same twists and the same time in the game.

ahh so 40+ is intended to be a type of reboot? that's probably a good idea

PopZeus posted:

My votes for anyone wanting to dip into older seasons (without watching anything that’ll spoil the big returnee seasons)

S7 Pearl islands
S13 Cook Islands
S15 China
S18 Tocantins
S37 David v Goliath

And the players might reference past seasons/winners in this, I can’t remember, but s33 Millennials v GenX is a good intro one too

S28 Cagayan is an excellent season as well but very annoyingly spoils the winner of s16 Micronesia (fans v favorites) which is a returnee season i think is top tier and thus a big bummer to spoil.

I watched the first couple episodes of Season 1 and its amusing how awkward Jeff is. will probably just skim through a few seasons, thanks for the recommendations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

CODChimera posted:

ahh so 40+ is intended to be a type of reboot? that's probably a good idea

40 is a capstone kind of season. It's everything after that that's "new era".

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dee is doing God's Work by crushing posters underneath her unnaturally big toe

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm watching Season 10 right now having never seen it and drat isn't it the same kind of downer that this was with the one tribe just constantly losing with no hope.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

curiousCat posted:

40 is a capstone kind of season. It's everything after that that's "new era".

i've honestly kind of liked it so far, each season has been a fun ride and we've gotten a lot of different types of winners over these last five seasons. i actually prefer the three starting tribes since it has pretty much mitigated dominant pagongings in a traditional sense and all final threes thus far have been people from multiple tribes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah with season 10 at least there was some novelty in seeing a tribe just get so decimated like that. Like watching a tragic car crash in slow motion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The end of that season is pretty intense, but yeah very rough start. I think eliminating people immediately is also just a bummer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i've honestly kind of liked it so far, each season has been a fun ride and we've gotten a lot of different types of winners over these last five seasons. i actually prefer the three starting tribes since it has pretty much mitigated dominant pagongings in a traditional sense and all final threes thus far have been people from multiple tribes.

We just finished a season with one of the most traditional Pagongings in quite a long time. The three tribes didn't matter when one tribe was completely weak, and another tribe was so dominant, and the third tribe was eager to vote each other off that the dominant tribe was able to coast to the end.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Season 7 is supposedly coming to Netflix in January, so get ready for a whole new wave of social media reactions to you know, that moment. Although in my experience that moment is so famous that some people who had never seen Survivor before knew that something like that had happened before on reality TV, so they saw it coming.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Season 7 is supposedly coming to Netflix in January, so get ready for a whole new wave of social media reactions to you know, that moment. Although in my experience that moment is so famous that some people who had never seen Survivor before knew that something like that had happened before on reality TV, so they saw it coming.

Oh good, an excuse to watch Pearls on a UI that isn't absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

We just finished a season with one of the most traditional Pagongings in quite a long time. The three tribes didn't matter when one tribe was completely weak, and another tribe was so dominant, and the third tribe was eager to vote each other off that the dominant tribe was able to coast to the end.

i think you forgot what a pagonging is