Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Zack Snyder is a victim of his own ambitions and this movie is the quintessential example of it. What I mean by this is is that his particular brand of storytelling really requires time to coalesce and be geared toward adults, but his genre tendencies are in the realm of big budget mass audience tentpoles and require a lot of money and a large studio apparatus. This constantly makes for a frustratingly persistent issue where studios routinely sabotage themselves with him because of the obvious corporate needs and methodology of large scale blockbuster filmmaking. This is not a movie or world for kids and families of Star Wars fans in the same way his DC movies were not really for MCU type demos. This is R rated brutalist scifi that is very cool and nerdy and awesome, but not something you can push like its gunna capture Disney-esque audiences. It is no wonder this PG13 version feels so bizzare in its edit and runtime.

To be clear up front, I thought this was ok for an obviously severely cut down film. Visuals and action are fantastic and Snyder through and through. The world building is dark and brutal and weird, it is much more Warhammer 40K by way of pulpy space opera than Star Wars. Think Saga(the comic series) through the lens of Snyders more brutalist/operatic approach to mythology.

It is only derivative in the sense theres just only so many things you can do with this type of scifi without inevitably hitting a ton of apparent influences and similarities, I dont really think thats a problem and its cool to see filmmakers riff on genres like this. It does as much weird and unique stuff on its own that I dont think it should be held against it.

The first act is great and the world building rocks, Korra is an interesting protagonist and I like the general plot, but the 2nd and 3rd act are incredibly rushed. It is obvious from the trailers there are large chunks of characters backstories cut and whats left in is vague and brief exposition in random dialogue. It makes the 3rd act feel incredibly unearned. You have no idea who these people are, theyre just sort of there. Djimon Housnso is barely in this movie beyond one quick intro scene and a few random shots yet they talk about him as if we should have some huge grasp on his character. This is true for basically every charater beyond Korra and Gunnar. Theres a huge disconnect that seems apparent from cut scenes.

They clearly cut this stuff in favor of rushing to some cool action scenes before where they presume subscribers would be bored but in turn knee capped their own efforts and give people plenty of reason to do just exactly that anyways. Maybe itll do numbers for Netflix, whatever the hell that means for them, but I think this is a real rough start for an IP they are clearly really diggin in for.

Simply put, unless youre a Snyder fan and want to digest his usual flair or if Part 2 is a big improvement, I would shy away from these until the directors cuts are out in the summer. Its not worth spoiling the potential for these films on this hackneyed version.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

AccountSupervisor posted:

Simply put, unless youre a Snyder fan and want to digest his usual flair or if Part 2 is a big improvement, I would shy away from these until the directors cuts are out in the summer. Its not worth spoiling the potential for these films on this hackneyed version.
pg-13 was a terrible idea, this is the confirmation bias i was looking for. I really want to watch it, but i'm not dicking around with different cuts.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
saw the film: not great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Farg posted:

saw the film: not great.

I thought the new Saw was fine?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saw X owns

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

AccountSupervisor posted:

The world building is dark and brutal and weird, it is much more Warhammer 40K by way of pulpy space opera than Star Wars. Think Saga(the comic series) through the lens of Snyders more brutalist/operatic approach to mythology.

this sounds so good on paper.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

ephori posted:

this sounds so good on paper.

Yea that really perked my interest up! Sounds rad. Will wait for the director’s cut though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting

teagone posted:

Friendly reminder! I'll be streaming Rebel Moon Thursday and Friday night this week at 9PM central both days in the CineD Discord :sickos:

If you have Netflix, I'll be hosting a Scener room as well so you can sync to the Discord stream :getin:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just out of Rebel Moon - the most important thing I need to bring to CineD is the news that Jimmy is, in fact, a Chappie. Otherwise I'm going to let it settle, but while there's lots of obvious spaces where backstory and expansion will go in, the film competently tells a coherent story from start to finish. It also looks gorgeous.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon premiere later tonight! If you're planning on joining the CineD Discord stream, please remember to mute your mic when you join in on my screen share. Live chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel. I'll share the Scener room link a few minutes before I go live for anyone with their own Netflix account to snync with the Discord stream.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 21, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna do asmr through it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna do asmr through it

Lmao

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The title text as presented in the film looks like something from an old Bean paperback. Perfect. No notes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am staying up to wrap presents with my wife and turned this on as background noise and holy poo poo it's so bad. I can't even. The dialogue. The cgi. It's all so bad. It's also really blurry in parts. It's like he used portrait mode to film. Also Atticus Noble wtf

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Turning on the pulp sci-fi movie of a director known primarily for his visuals as "background noise" is a bad idea.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
It's really obvious that every warrior they recruit was supposed to have an earlier establishing scene that would have been spliced in at some point during the first 40 minutes setting up the village on the "Rebel Moon"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
movie bretty gud.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pretty, pretty good - just done with the screening by Teagone.

Solid 7.5/10 - obv. that SO MUCH WAS CUT and it would be better with that back.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah the movie owned. It's definitely been cut to the bone for a breakneck pace, and there's probably a lot more content delving into the backgrounds of the characters, but it's a cool and fun pulpy space opera with tons of cool visual set pieces and action. The scene with the squid king looked gorgeous with the eclipsed moon in the background.

Definitely whetted my appetite for part two and the directors cuts

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty, pretty good - just done with the screening by Teagone.

Solid 7.5/10 - obv. that SO MUCH WAS CUT and it would be better with that back.

This is where I landed too. You feel the cuts and not even in the action to tone the violence down. I get the "clunky dialogue" complaint but it's so melodramatic and delivered with utter sincerity that it plays into it being operatic. Villainous monologues are a staple of the genre. The film was more 40k than Star Wars, didn't get much Star Wars out of the whole thing. Some CGI was questionable but the next scene will have some incredible shots. it was a movie-rear end movie and done cheaper than most other tent pole productions.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 22, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rebel Moon was perfectly fine. All the garbage online about how this is Star Wars with the numbers filed off is grossly exaggerated and inaccurate imo. This is very much a different sci-fi beast, and it's great. Lots of fun ideas, and neat visuals. Though while I could feel the edits around the violence and truncating the story, I felt the core of the movie didn't suffer too much from it. Djimon's character did though, drat lol -- chopped to bits in the editing bay. I'm very eager to watch the hyperviolent extended cut, and for part 2 in a few months.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just peeked the first minute before work, is there a way to get a gif of the vagina vortex and penis ship right from the beginning? That's one hell of a first impression.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/SkyknightLCG/status/1738054476747968570?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pretty much exactly the film that was advertised, it's Seven Samurai by way of Star Wars (including PT) + Warhammer 40k + a teensy bit of paperback Conan. Maybe not Netflix's Star Wars exactly so much as Netflix's "what if Chronicles of Riddick was good?" You'll see some Necromonger poo poo before the end.

My big complaints are the parts of the film that aren't there. A lot of establishing shots have clearly been cut to the bone (and there are places where there clearly should be some but there aren't) some dialog has been truncated and Jimmy, the best character in the movie, is mistakenly absent for most of the film. Rookie mistake, Zack!

Make no mistake this is far from the worst of Snyder's abbreviations. I'm a little higher than 7.5 fresh from seeing it just because the movie just looks gorgeous. I'm not half as curious to see the 3 hour version as much as I'm eager for part 2.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 22, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The biggest complaint was a lack of Jimmy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Turning on the pulp sci-fi movie of a director known primarily for his visuals as "background noise" is a bad idea.

Not the first time goons have been mad at a movie they didn't actually pay attention to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yesss thank you!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

100%

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd put it on the level of Magnificent Seven than Seven Samurai in terms of that kind of film. That movie is available to watch on netflix too and that's another one that sprints past every one of the seven's recruitment and they all barely talk to one another the entire film. You do know what's going on and the two protagonists get right and proper development. You understand the stakes, the why and where of things and there's a beginning, middle and end. It doesn't have the dream logic editing of Batman v Superman but you do feel the absence of what was cut.

They should have just released the true 3 hour version but this one isn't bad by any stretch if you enjoy Zack Snyder movies. If you don't like them then this won't change your mind. If your agnostic, it's still a well-shot movie with fantastic shots, good action and a weird sci-fi setting. If you want one of those nonsense movie descriptions: It's Lord of the Rings and Magnificent Seven by way of Warhammer 40k but the grimdark is replaced with the weird.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

Depends? Speaking as someone who has gotten used to seeing films months after they release (especially since Covid!) I probably would not have seen Rebel Moon 1 when I did if it weren't for teagone's group watch. I don't doubt that the full release is the better film and I would have otherwise been fine holding out for it.

That said, I'm not sad I saw the cut I did, and if you're a Snyder Sicko you've probably enjoyed movies that have been cut down far worse than this was.

How badly do you want to see some space fascists spit teeth?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Up to you. I think the butchered cut is fine and worth a once over. If you watch it, you can also say you are a Snyder completionist.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The edit was bad. Action kind of a snore. Could've lived without seeing it at all. Felt more like a highlight reel and you were meant to fill in the spaces between every scene and sometimes within a scene with your own imagination.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

McCloud posted:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

If you like Snyders work in general, I'd say it's worth watching, especially since it's on streaming and literally only costs you two hours

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

doomisland posted:

you were meant to fill in the spaces between every scene [...] with your own imagination.

what an awful concept

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCloud posted:

If you like Snyders work in general, I'd say it's worth watching, especially since it's on streaming and literally only costs you two hours
I could spend those two hours :justpost:ing instead

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If their plan was always to have a PG-13 2hour cut and an R-rated director cut, why not just release them both and let people watch the version they prefer?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

If their plan was always to have a PG-13 2hour cut and an R-rated director cut, why not just release them both and let people watch the version they prefer?
They're not actually done with the final cut, they're dumb, and they hope us Snyder cultists will play along regardless so they can generate double hype from one movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

My guess is Netflix wanted a ~2 hour PG-13 family friendly cut for people on holiday to watch and this is what Snyder and his team were able to deliver. They also probably didn't want to cannibalize streaming numbers when there's potential for double dipping. It's dumb, but they did it and now all we can do is just wait.