Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Visionary Auteur director and two time academy award winner Zack Snyder is at it again. After redefining the superhero genre, Zack is now poised to do the same to space opera with his latest and hopefully greatest movie, Rebel Moon.

Originally concieved the idea back when he was in film school in the 80's, Zack started seriously working on the project about 20 years ago. In 2012, he pitched it to LucasArts, as a standalone project taking place in the Star Wars universe, but they turned it down. When Zack signed on with Netflix to do Army of the dead, they asked if Zack had any other projects he was interested in, and the rest is history. So now after his succesful debut at Netflix with AOTD, Zack is now launching the first part of what Netflix hopes will be a huge brand new IP, the Sci Fi space opera Rebel Moon.

Filmed back to back with part two, Zack managed to deliver two huge blockbuster sci fi movies for a pricetag of 165 million dollars, an impressive feat. Also fun fact, Zack created a new camera lens specifically for Rebel Moon:

quote:

Zack Snyder has revealed how he crafted a camera lens using four different pieces of technology to create a "distorted retro" look for his new film Rebel Moon.

The fan-favorite director explained how he combined various tech to create a brand-new lens to augment Rebel Moon's visual style. To begin with, Snyder tracked down multiple versions of the same vintage Japanese camera lens. Once enough units had been sourced, Snyder and his team took each lens apart before affixing certain parts to three different German-made Leica products. These Frankenstein's Monster-like devices were then used to shoot specific scenes in Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire to optically warp said sequences.

The new lenses are "based on the hard glass, which is behind the anamorphic elements of the Leica rangefinder series, plus the Summilux and Noctilux lenses," Snyder said. "We found some Japanese anamorphic lenses from a company called Cineovision, which was set up in the 1960s. We took them apart, grabbed the anamorphic element, and attached them to the Summilux and Noctilux lenses.

"What happens in super-wide angles, such as 24mm, the anamorphic optics of the Cineovision elements are so retro that they give this bizarre distortion. For instance, there's a shot where Sam [Charlotte Maggi] is talking to Jimmy [voiced by Anthony Hopkins]. She's standing and he's seated, and the entire top of the frame is out of focus, but Jimmy is in full focus, so it has this weird vignetted accentuation. I love that cool aberration effect we achieved with the lenses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3MzT6exg

Citing both Star Wars and Akira Kurosawas Seven Samurai as big influences, Rebel Moon Part One is about Kora, a girl with a mysterious past and former soldier of the obligatory evil empire, gathering a diverse group of rag tag group of mercenaries and rebels, often oiled up and shirtless, to protect her adopted home, small farming settlement, from the empire she once abandoned. The Kurosawa and Star Wars influences are pretty obvious. In classic Snyder fashion, there's going to be a PG-13 rated version clocking in at two hours, and later on they'll release a longer R-rated version that's clocking in at around 3 hours.

The cast is impressive, featuring a mix of old and new faces Sophia Boutella in her first lead role, the return of Ray Fisher, Cary Elwes, Charlie Hunnam, Anthony Hopkins as the voice of the robot Jimmy

It also features 3 (!) actors from Game of Thrones, two of which played the same dude

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1732761890693247226?s=20

Rebel Moon Part One: A Child Of Fire releases on netflix on Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET.
Rebel Moon Part Two: The Scargiver will follow very soon after, streaming on Netflix on April 19, 2024. No word yet on when the directors cut will be released, but presumably it will be out shortly after New Years.

However, there's also going to be a limited theatrical release on December 15th for those lucky few who live in New york, Los Angeles, Toronto and London!

Los Angeles will host screenings at the Egyptian Theatre
New York City at the Paris Theater,
Toronto at the TIFF Bell Lightbox,
London at the Prince Charles Cinema.

Also apparently there might be a limited run in the following cities:

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1733124283272982861?s=20

This thread is specifically for discussing Rebel Moon. Other Snyder-related projects or topics can go into the dome

E: mod edit

https://i.imgur.com/nmasbeJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/rMkQEfy.mp4

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reserved for Part 2

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1731079111185997914?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Come watch the premiere with goons in the CineD Discord! I'll be hosting a Scener room if you have Netflix to sync with the Discord stream as well.

[edit] If you can't make the premiere stream, I'll be streaming Rebel Moon in the CineD Discord again the day after, Friday 12/22 at 9PM central.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 13, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
rebel goon

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m ready.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Friendship ended with Star Wars. Now, Rebel Moon is my best friend :sickos:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Come watch the premiere with goons in the CineD Discord!

How can one join the CineD Discord?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Check your DMs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

poo poo post?!

e:

Pirate Jet posted:

rebel goon

josh04 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 13, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Me loving up the tag is tradition at this point

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hype

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Gonna be watching this digital atrocity in 70mm this weekend

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If any of you are in London, keep an eye out for the weirdly orwellian named "THE ORB"
https://x.com/SnyderNetflix/status/1734977057547747358?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Orb orb orb. Annoying it's only open two nights, it's walkable from where I work but I wasn't planning on going in Friday.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/thepcclondon/status/1734982985391145209?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol heavy metal 100%

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You forgot to mention Zack also had a custom lens built for this film too. As someone who appreciated but ultimately didn't like the look of Army, Rebel Moon looks way better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My body is ready

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

You forgot to mention Zack also had a custom lens built for this film too. As someone who appreciated but ultimately didn't like the look of Army, Rebel Moon looks way better.

McCloud posted:

Filmed back to back with part two, Zack managed to deliver two huge blockbuster sci fi movies for a pricetag of 165 million dollars, an impressive feat. Also fun fact, Zack created a new camera lens specifically for Rebel Moon:

Maybe you need some lenses of your own :smug:

BTW

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1735056027979235653

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 13, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/rebel-moon-stars-zack-snyder-process-premiere-1235754271/

quote:

Hounsou spoke to THR about the film’s deeper meanings, revealing that the story “mimics our reality in a fashion that I have never read from any script before” in how it “addresses so much the indoctrination of the continent of Africa over centuries.”

“It’s a geopolitical tentacle that we are holding back that continent,” he continued. “It’s unbelievable that that story speaks to me in that fashion… decade after decade, lots of leaders who were not leaders for their people.”

I think Sophia and Zack also spoke about the themes of imperialism and colonization

Two time Academy Award Winner Zack Snyder posted:

" Because you know Kora and Titus were both you know from the mother world you know that's where they -- I mean Titus is from a conquered planet that was…I had this idea for Djimon's character and that that character had come from a planet that had been colonized by the mother world and that you know a generation before he was born and that in the tradition of sort of the colonizer sort of the best and the brightest are brought back to the mother world to study or to in his case you know to do military service but that is not -- you know he's an import you know he's from a conquered nation and he's here you know to be indoctrinated into like that way of thinking and you know and it's only back on his home world when he's visiting or when he was growing up did his nanny or his grandmother teach him about his own culture before the Imperium before the mother world invaded you know and that's how he knows about his world. So you get like little bits of his culture and we kind of used a little bit of this sort of Nigerian culture and sort of history of sort of colonization of Africa as a sort of model that was like, Djimon was like “oh yeah this happened you know like this is normal

Sofia's backstory we're using a little bit of like Algerian kind of like architecture and stuff like that in the like for her world it got conquered because this is kind of like how they do it you know the Motherworld kind of just they're like acquiring and they have been for you know like the old king is much more a straight up imperialist but like in the tradition you know where I feel like the Regent Balsarius he's much more like you know like a dictator like you know he'd be happy to like raze a planet just for its natural resources rather than like “oh we should like land and see what the people are like and maybe some of them can fight for us” and you know like “maybe we could like assimilate their culture into ours” where it was a much more sort of you know 18th century imperialism where now the modern Imperium is much more aggressive than -- that was aggressive, and now it's worse."

Sofia Boutella posted:

"Sofia Boutella: Well, I want[ed] to work with him [Zack]. But on top of that, I think that -- I think there was a lot of stuff that I could relate to for myself. I was born in Algeria, and I never -- Kora is found on another planet that's not her home. She was abducted. I was not abducted. But my roots are not necessarily where I live and not where I grew up and not where I was born. And I can relate to that. There was a sense of freedom to that aspect, but also a sense of home is everywhere, but not specifically somewhere. That was very relatable for me. And then not to be dramatic, but there was a civil war growing up in my country. And not that it was as dangerous as, an actual war, but I grew up in that environment. And it's lodged somewhere in me, and I felt that, oh, yeah, I think I can do that."

I'll be really interested to see how much of this is conveyed in the film

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A spectre is haunting cinema— the spectre of Snyder. All the powers of old Twitter have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: critic and blogger, Letterboxd user and IMDB nerd, MCU radicals and animation police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as a Snyder-esque bot army by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of 'DC fan', against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Snyder's army is already acknowledged by all online powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Snyder fans should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Snyder with a manifesto of the fandom itself.

To this end, Snyder fans of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in gyms in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was looking at excerpts of some of the reviews and ho boy, most of them are about the fandom and less about the movie. People get paid to write like this? I'm in the wrong business, my friends.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This seems poor

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well guys, the jig is up. We've probably already kept this going long enough, we aren't going to be able to talk our way out of this one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

josh04 posted:

A spectre is haunting cinema— the spectre of Snyder. All the powers of old Twitter have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: critic and blogger, Letterboxd user and IMDB nerd, MCU radicals and animation police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as a Snyder-esque bot army by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of 'DC fan', against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Snyder's army is already acknowledged by all online powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Snyder fans should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Snyder with a manifesto of the fandom itself.

To this end, Snyder fans of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in gyms in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages.

Lets gooo!!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

alright snyderfolks, last chance to break kayfabe. we promise no one will judge you or hold you accountable for past statements

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

you're gonna come into this, a zack snyder cined thread, and assume that disdain from critics is the thing that's going to break us?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I want to see that percentage as low as possible. If it goes above 50% I'mma explode like the bus from Speed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I want to see that percentage as low as possible. If it goes above 50% I'mma explode like the bus from Speed.

When this baby hits single digits...I'm gonna take a serious poo poo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Netflix probably should have let him release his full cut first it sounds like.. or make him work a writer

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The true danger of AI is that so many critics use the phrase ai generated:

“ he’s blockbuster cinema’s first example of the A.I. image generator as auteur: Plug in some nerd-rear end variables — zombies, Batman, sexual violence as character motivation, etc”

Had this discussion in other thread, but going to see it a lot more instead of actual ideas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

checkplease posted:

he’s blockbuster cinema’s first example of the A.I. image generator as auteur

good to see we've graduated from "he's an idiot jock" to "he's a non-sentient machine pumping out nerd candy"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The funny thing is that if you're actually concerned about AI supplanting real artistry, there's nothing more damaging to your cause than saying bad human art is akin to the production of a machine. The bad human art is what you're claiming to value!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AI art trends to have aesthetic and mechanical flaws that are noticeably different from the mistakes that artists make. It would be weird and noteworthy for an ostensibly human-produced movie to include those markers.

Meanwhile, the economic threat represented by the trend of its adoption is all too familiar, since it's just the newest instance of the same old exploitation of artists.

Anyone using the term "AI-generated" in a serious review should at least do so in such a way as to indicate that they know what the gently caress they're talking about. However, being conspicuously illiterate in criticism of "genre" media - whether favorable or unfavorable - is part of how the cultural establishment reinforces itself. This holds the same whether the author actually doesn't know what AI means for the field they're supposedly an expert in, or they're simply operating under an editorial mandate to use glibness and buzzwords to attract ad impressions. It's on the same level as boggling that it depicts extraterrestrials speaking English or whatever - just a way to show contempt by implying it's not worth taking seriously.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

The funny thing is that if you're actually concerned about AI supplanting real artistry, there's nothing more damaging to your cause than saying bad human art is akin to the production of a machine. The bad human art is what you're claiming to value!

It's also not as if cookie-cutter, focus grouped bullshit hasn't already been coming out for decades. Apparently studios literally making the most exec workshopped stuff they can because an algorithm told them it would increase profits by 2% doesn't clear the bar for "AI filmmaking", but one of a increasingly vanishing handful of directors actually pursuing their own vision does because...he uses themes nerds like? Unlike any other big budget studio movie??

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if this is gonna be more like Sucker Punch or BvS

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Martman posted:

I wonder if this is gonna be more like Sucker Punch or BvS

Yes

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU