Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mauser posted:

help my kitchen is 57 degrees and it takes forever for my bread to rise :(

Put a cup full of water in the microwave. Boil it. Quickly open the door, put your bread in, and close it. Instant proofing box. (of course, we have a big microwave, like they used to was.)

Two weeks ago I made rye crackers that I wasn't impressed with. However, they rose.Yesterday I decided to make the dough for a different kind of cracker. The yeast was dead. A-loving-gain. Not just the jarred yeast opened this summer, but a sealed packet that expired in 2025. When I say "dead", I mean "put it in warm liquid and not a single bubble rose". Not slow-rising, but rather not even able to make CO2.

This has happened to me before with bulk Red Star yeast and with another baker's brand I forget. This has happened to me both with yeast in the fridge and yeast in the freezer. I tested the fridge yesterday, and it was 41F, right in the zone. Four times in the last two years I have pulled the yeast out and found it dead. My husband jokes that I have a black yeast thumb.

Does anybody have suggestions on how to coddle my next batch of yeast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Keep a sourdough starter and split a pound of yeast between friends so you only have a little bit to go bad? Freezing it should be fine, so should the fridge, but... Maybe not for you!

And you're adding sugar to the lukewarm water, right? I've had some yeast that's fine, it just wanted food to bubble.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Don't get yeast packets. Get a big fuckin' brick of SAF red, put it in a airtight container, and stick it in the fridge. This is what I do and it lasts a whole year. Towards the end of the year, I dump out whatever is left and replace it with fresh yeast. No problems so far.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

null_pointer posted:

Don't get yeast packets. Get a big fuckin' brick of SAF red, put it in a airtight container, and stick it in the fridge. This is what I do and it lasts a whole year. Towards the end of the year, I dump out whatever is left and replace it with fresh yeast. No problems so far.
That's exactly what I did, twice. It died.

effika posted:

Keep a sourdough starter and split a pound of yeast between friends so you only have a little bit to go bad? Freezing it should be fine, so should the fridge, but... Maybe not for you!

And you're adding sugar to the lukewarm water, right? I've had some yeast that's fine, it just wanted food to bubble.
I tried adding sugar to the warm milk the second time. Didn't help.

Sometimes I like to bake something that can't be done with sourdough.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Have you tried just baking with it and seeing if you get a result? The "stick it in a jar in the freezer" method has never let me down either, but I've had lovely luck with the little foil packets.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The dough doesn't rise. At all.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That sucks. I'm sorry about your bread. :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I vacuum-pack a big bag of red star and freeze it. Usually lasts a good couple of years that way. I open it up every few months to refill the jar in the fridge, then re-vac it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Idk if you're Phoenix or something but really only 110+ should be killing the yeast

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Actually, I live in a very moderate climate; it's cool most of the year. I am straight beside the sea, and I wondered if the salty air had an effect -- it started rusting a chrome toilet paper holder a year after we bought it -- but that doesn't apply to the packages.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's exactly what I did, twice. It died.

(Throws hands up into the air) welp, I'm out of ideas :dawkins101:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You're keeping it in the freezer, right, not the fridge?

Anyway, todays bread recipe:
300g Wholemeal Rye flour
480g Starter (240g water. 240g rye, +/-30g of a previous starter, which is mainly matzo meal and startch atm. Let sit for 30 hours or so on the counter, stir a couple of times)
Half of the contents of a fresh earl grey tea bag. Wait no! That was meant to go into the biscuit dough, not the starter! poo poo! Oh well. Carry on. We can save this.
400 stro- oh, I'm out of bread flour. Bugger. 400g Wholemeal Spelt
450g water
20g salt
7g dried yeast.

Let proof on the counter for 3 hours or so, and then knocked back into the big pullman tin for an hour, before baking for 40 minutes or so at 180*c. I probably should have given it another hour to rise in the tin, but it came out lovely, if dense. Next time I'll try baking it with the lid on I think.

The teabag went in when the starter was about an hour old and I could only pour about half of it out, but it smelt very good as it aged.

The bread has a nice subtle fruity taste, you can only pick up on the tea if you concentrate on it. Went nicely with beans and egg last night for dinner.

Anyone who tells you baking is an exact science has never seen me bumble my way through bread. :v:

Edit: As I was writing this, my partner handed me a slice with aldi's cheapest hazelnut spread and orange zest on. It's possibly the most delicious thing I've ever taken a single bite out of.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 22, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mauser posted:

help my kitchen is 57 degrees and it takes forever for my bread to rise :(

I have a heat mat you use for seedlings and a temp probe to make a little proofing drawer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

You're keeping it in the freezer, right, not the fridge?
I have tried both keeping it in the freezer and in the fridge. Same result.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What percent of salt are you using

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have tried both keeping it in the freezer and in the fridge. Same result.

What water are you using? Have you tried filtered or bottled?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Oven light trick is great. Balmy 81° in there

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

therattle posted:

What water are you using? Have you tried filtered or bottled?
This happens in milk as well as water.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This happens in milk as well as water.

Have you considered seeing an exorcist or similar to lift the curse placed on you and/or your residence?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's the name of the speciality wheat that has a golden colour? I believe the rights to it are rather strictly controlled by one family who developed it in the 90s, or something like that.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In this list of wheats (lol) there's only one with a person's name for developer (Triumph), and one developed by "Golden K." Are these your wheat?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
An interesting list to peruse, but I was thinking of Khorasan wheat - the only name I could come up with was Saracian for some reason.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, started Bon Appetit's sour cream chive rolls today. Made the tangzhong, added the eggs, added the sour cream, then started proofing a brand new packet of yeast.

I think you can all guess what happened next.

So, in desperation, I had my husband proof two ramekins of yeast, one from an open jar and one from a sealed packet. Both of them were as foamy as the birth of Aphrodite. By this time the tangzhong was a solid sheet of sludge, so I yanked it out of the mixer, wiped it off, made another tangzhong, stirred it in, and added the proofed yeast. So far, so good.

I do always test the temperature of proofing water with a pinkie. I am guessing that yeast doesn't like something about my body chemistry. No, we don't use bactericidal hand soap. In any case, husband will be proofing the yeast from here forward.

:iiam:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My wife got me a Mockmill for Christmas, mostly for other things, but excited to grind some flour. Need to do some experiments to work out how long to leave it to develop the gluten though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, started Bon Appetit's sour cream chive rolls today. Made the tangzhong, added the eggs, added the sour cream, then started proofing a brand new packet of yeast.

So, in desperation, I had my husband proof two ramekins of yeast, one from an open jar and one from a sealed packet. Both of them were as foamy as the birth of Aphrodite. By this time the tangzhong was a solid sheet of sludge, so I yanked it out of the mixer, wiped it off, made another tangzhong, stirred it in, and added the proofed yeast. So far, so good.

I do always test the temperature of proofing water with a pinkie. I am guessing that yeast doesn't like something about my body chemistry. No, we don't use bactericidal hand soap. In any case, husband will be proofing the yeast from here forward.

So there was a curse all along! Good job finding a way to bypass it!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there any chance you are handling anything with chlorine regularly? Is your water excessively chlorinated?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Who's got two thumbs and got a stand mixer for Xmas? This gal.

Anyone have a recipe or suggestions for using a stand mixer?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Is there any chance you are handling anything with chlorine regularly? Is your water excessively chlorinated?

We have a well that is cleaned by UV light, so no.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

If it's a KA be sure to scrape down and rotate the dough if it doesn't ride

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

There are many variations on star bread, both savory and sweet. Pick one, or make up your own! It looks very showy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Make doughnuts!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

So there was a curse all along! Good job finding a way to bypass it!

I TOLD YOU!

tokin opposition posted:

Nice! I’ve got a KA and it gives a very specific setting for dough kneading. Check yours. The wrong setting is bad for the motor.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therattle posted:

Nice! I’ve got a KA and it gives a very specific setting for dough kneading. Check yours. The wrong setting is bad for the motor.

I've got a Kenwood and it says to max out the mixing speed at 2. Never had a problem with it until I made croissant dough which made it a little sad.

That said I once left it kneading dough and it shook itself off the counter, did a flip and landed head first on my tiled floor. It was completely fine, no damage at all.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I dropped mine from 6ft up once and it left a massive dent in the dishwasher, but was itself uninjured. They're built like tanks. A shame all the accessories are built like poo poo, I guess to make up for it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So question about kneeding bread. If I'm making a basic white bread and the dough gets sticky and seems to form 'stretch marks' on the surface as I'm kneeding it, does that mean I need to kneed longer and add more flour until it isn't sticky any more, or what?

I made bread yesterday for Christmas and it was really good (and the rolls I made from the same dough were gone within a few minutes), but this is more just a general question.

4 tablespoons rapid yeast
1/4th cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
5 oz can of condensed milk
2 cups warm water
Add flour until it comes away from the bowl, was about 5ish cups then probably about 2-3 more cups as I was kneeding it. The dough never got super smooth, always seemed to have the stretch marks after a few minutes of kneeding.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

So question about kneeding bread. If I'm making a basic white bread and the dough gets sticky and seems to form 'stretch marks' on the surface as I'm kneeding it, does that mean I need to kneed longer and add more flour until it isn't sticky any more, or what?

I made bread yesterday for Christmas and it was really good (and the rolls I made from the same dough were gone within a few minutes), but this is more just a general question.

1/4th cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
2 cups warm water
Add flour until it comes away from the bowl, was about 5ish cups then probably about 2-3 more cups as I was kneeding it. The dough never got super smooth, always seemed to have the stretch marks after a few minutes of kneeding.

I'm not an expert, and you will probably get better advice, but here are my thoughts.
If you added 2 more cups while kneading, I would think that the flour wouldn't fully hydrate, and it's gonna take longer for the gluten to fully develop.
That dough should probably feel tacky, and pretty smooth, but not sticky when it's kneaded correctly.
So sometimes when I'm making a dough, especially if I'm using my stand mixer, I'll mix all the ingredients and let it sit for 10 minutes before kneading it, or I'll knead for 5 minutes, let it rest for 5 mins, and then continue kneading.
Basically, you should be able to stretch the surface of the dough and create a lot of tension without it tearing, that will help the structure of the finished bread.
Were you happy with the bread or was there anything you would have liked to be different?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

1/4th cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
2 cups warm water

I don’t work with fortified dough very often but generally if you’re kneading and the bread starts to tear it’s due to some combination of:

Not enough time to proof
Too dry
Too much kneading

In your recipe you have about 850-1000g of flour (1 cup is 120g, let’s say) for about 750g of liquid, which is 88-75% hydration so pretty reasonable. How did your proof go?

Or wait, was this a recipe where you mix and then knead immediately?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tuyop posted:

I don’t work with fortified dough very often but generally if you’re kneading and the bread starts to tear it’s due to some combination of:

Not enough time to proof
Too dry
Too much kneading

In your recipe you have about 850-1000g of flour (1 cup is 120g, let’s say) for about 750g of liquid, which is 88-75% hydration so pretty reasonable. How did your proof go?

Or wait, was this a recipe where you mix and then knead immediately?

Yeah, i mixed all the liquids (and sugar) together, added the yeast and let that sit for about 15 minutes to start fermenting, then added flour until it pulled away from the bowl edges. Immediately started kneeding for 5ish minutes, adding just enough flour to make it not sticky any more. Let it rest for five minutes while I washed the bowl that it rises in, then kneeded for another 5 or so minutes.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

therattle posted:

I TOLD YOU!

If only I had listened :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

If only I had listened :gonk:

I am a veritable fount of wisdom.