Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

I think the hillbillies were mad because the helium 3 from the moon killed oil on Earth. Then they had that space marine who had done his own research about how NASA was lying about the nuclear reactor on the moon because it had a backup cooling loop, but he didn't know about the secret reactor that wasn't on the backup loop. No more oil jobs + Wackadoo conspiracies + dead parents + I assume some weird christian poo poo as well = Blow up NASA to bring are jobs back.

Seems like a solid plan, if you yell it at people without taking a breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CeeJee posted:

Not that endless, the asteroid is apparently 70 thousand metric tons of iridium. That's a lot but not really enough for the hundreds of millions of cars in the world and all other possible applications.

A little can go a long way. If you assume ten grams is enough for a high quality battery (and would probably be less than that if it's used for plating electric components and stuff) then that's enough for 7 billion of them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

On reflection (and just realised this in a goon discord), I don't think of Ed Baldwin as utterly irredeemable and I kind of like how they have the character very realistically teetering on the fence between shithead and decent person.

The point in season 2 where he steps back and engages honestly despite being wound up, would not and could not have happened if he was pure 1950s dad archetype. While it's prompted by Kelly, sure, he's still trying to do better than he did with Shane.

Like theres enough self-realisation there to save him, but he keeps blundering into being a piece of poo poo by reflex. Like he got the first bit of self-correction/therapy down (introspection) but still cant do the second bit (stopping yourself in the moment).

Also I just realised that they're moving the plot to get Kelly on Mars because he is going to die there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have to be careful with what I read to avoid spoilers, but was there a season 1 thread somewhere? I got into this show only recently, and just finished season 1 last night and want to go over what people were talking about for that season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I have to be careful with what I read to avoid spoilers, but was there a season 1 thread somewhere? I got into this show only recently, and just finished season 1 last night and want to go over what people were talking about for that season.

Doesn't seem like it had its own thread, but was in the Apple TV+ thread.

Season 2

Season 3

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I remember reading through a season 1 thread but maybe I'm mistaken hm

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Had to rewind the end of 01x09 after doing a spit take when Harrison bought it. Great episode, one left on the season and I'm really into it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Sorry in advance for season 3.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bawfuls posted:

The later is for the end of this season when they gently caress up the asteroid capture and chunks of it hit earth

odds it'll be because ed has a shaky hand and his russian gf isn't there to take over for him?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

they should do the plot of the video game ixion: not-elon fucks up so bad the earth is rendered uninhabitable and the mars colonists are the only survivors of the human race

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I hope Molly Cobb’s husband is doing ok, that guy was alright.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

I hope Molly Cobb’s husband is doing ok, that guy was alright.

He supplied the seed for the first :420: on Mars.

So that's something.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

We don’t know that Best Korea haven’t got their own grow op though

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
So other than the possibility of Ed going Robert Duvall in Deep Impact being cool, wouldn’t putting it in a lunar orbit make more sense?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Flux Wildly posted:

We don’t know that Best Korea haven’t got their own grow op though

That's what Juche is in the 21st century.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really regretting my decision to watch the first five minutes of season two before leaving the house for the weekend. That opening timeline stuff was too interesting and now I'm here thinking of all the implications.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Starbucks posted:

So other than the possibility of Ed going Robert Duvall in Deep Impact being cool, wouldn’t putting it in a lunar orbit make more sense?

Lunar orbit is inherently unstable and would require constant adjustment.

https://www.nasa.gov/general/does-a...o%20the%20Moon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are some stable moon orbits. There is (or was recently) an object orbiting the moon that is suspected to be one of the discarded lunar modules.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kingtheninja posted:

Really regretting my decision to watch the first five minutes of season two before leaving the house for the weekend. That opening timeline stuff was too interesting and now I'm here thinking of all the implications.

I think season two was the high point, easily. I still love it but I need to go back and rewatch 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, they put in the effort to get Blue Bell ice cream.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
straight up laughing at the music choice for the final scene, dev gonna give it to ya

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

demostars posted:

straight up laughing at the music choice for the final scene, dev gonna give it to ya

Ending with that final line and immediately into the song had me busting out laughing too

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This scene with Irina is really good, you can tell she's a bit charmed by Margo and thinks she's giving her a bit of a reward for a job well done and then Margo fucks up yet again by her ignoring direct orders and there's a flicker of frustration and then she's back to being slightly more formal. This actress, Svetlana Efremova, is crushing this role.

Wondering if Danni is gonna try and break up Ed's group by dropping a Danny bomb on them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Perfect needle drop at the end there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
LMFO Kelly brings this parmasan from Earth and Ed just going ham on his first meal and she's looking at it wondering if she's even gonna get to have any.

It's so funny but also man this is how Ed raised Shane, his very dead son, isn't it?

Danni, why are you so absolutely poo poo. Delivering Bush era monologues about security when you could be dropping truth bombs about space cannibalism.

That ending was very silly. Awesome.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

skooma512 posted:

FWIW I didn't even know that Mexico was communist (and therefore cool) in this show until you mentioned it and assumed Mexico was the same as it always was.

Aleida is never portrayed as being especially fond of her homeland. She left it fairly young and from then on she was concerned with staying with her family, general survival and NASA. I could see why she wasn't concerned with what was happening with it, my dad doesn't wax lyrically about his homeland either or follow its politics closely.

The note about the US seemingly not caring though is spot on. We're still pissed at Cuba from what happened in 60 years ago.

Mexico votes in a communist government in the 90s during season 3. Alieda came to America in the 70s and spent most of her life in the u.s. she was already a full fledged adult when Mexico went blue it wouldn’t really define her character that much.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I didn't have asteroid pirates on my bingo card.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What are they going to do for music in season 7?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They're going to de-orbit it and mine it on the ground, aren't they?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
1) where the hell was Miles during this whole strike?

2) wouldn’t the Soviet Union be on the side of the striking workers? If nothing else to use it as an example of the evils of capitalism?

3) this is the second time this season they mentioned what’s cookin’ in Saudi Arabia. Wonder if this will lead to a bigger story element

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are going to find an even larger iridium deposit under saudi arabia.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hell yeah :hellyeah: Admiral Ed and Big Love, the two biggest, meanest assholes around, teaming up for space piracy and Free Mars? Season 3 was a rough ride, but I'm all in for this, folks.

Also gently caress off CIA dude with the terrorist bull-poo poo, those yahoos blew themselves up, just like their pappies used to back on Earth :ohno:

90sgamer posted:

2) wouldn’t the Soviet Union be on the side of the striking workers? If nothing else to use it as an example of the evils of capitalism?

You might be surprised how the Soviet state handled strikers. Particularly since 2003 CCCP is portrayed as having undergone a neo-Stalinist coup :ussr:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Of course the CIA dude would say "it was terrorism" and start suggesting that they start loving poo poo up with the spies on the base.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

90sgamer posted:

1) where the hell was Miles during this whole strike?

Counting his money

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

KGB agent has to be the guy running the bar right? That's my guess anyway.

Miles is of course the secret CIA agent and his bumbling idiot routine is all an act.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Of course the CIA dude would say "it was terrorism" and start suggesting that they start loving poo poo up with the spies on the base.

Sure, but I still say the guy frothing at the mouth for project Acoustic Milos should...

Wait, hang on a minute :hmmyes:

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

90sgamer posted:

3) this is the second time this season they mentioned what’s cookin’ in Saudi Arabia. Wonder if this will lead to a bigger story element

The Saudis would have the same issue that Miles did, and the conspiracy theorist bombers from last season: the loss of the petroleum industry upending their livelihoods. So a 9/11 analogue attack is possible, driven by profit reasons instead of religious ones. Would they hit the Molly Cobb Space Center with a plane? Would Margot go out for real this time, leaving Aleida with even more trauma? Or vice-versa?

Madurai may have the right of it. If they smacked it in to Mars, it would take a lot more time and trouble to extract the iridium… But it would require a lot more people going to Mars and make the planet an ongoing concern the way Dev would want, over decades. It would greatly inconvenience the M-7 and the whole Earth, but Dev did tell his mom community and fellowship were a bunch of BS….

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pretty much the instant the strikers threw the spacesuits outside should have been ITS loving OVER time. They're still sitting in tin cans in near vacuum, so many things could go wrong that need that type of safety equipment.

Loving that Dev ended the strike to get things back on track, while also using the line to identify who the true believers are that he really wants to ally with. Doubly funny when you realise that Helios is probably dead as a company after being sued into oblivion if his plan goes into action and the stock he promised them will be worthless.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why would any of them stay with the strike other than Ed? They're all contract workers who are up there for a couple of years or whatever, and nothing about how the strike started was ever about Mars as much as it was their compensation being poo poo and an unsafe work environment.

Also the whole bit with the guy going "uh maybe you shouldn't skip the regulator" was hilarious. People in this timeline just love blowing themselves up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Babylon 5 still has the best strike episode