Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Twerk from Home posted:

The new, slower 3060 8GB has been introduced to fill the gap left by the 3050 8GB.

And the new 3050 is replacing the 1650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

And the new 3050 is replacing the 1650

huh actually the 3050 is rumored to be a 70w design so if it's slot-power-only that's probably the niche, especially if NVidia also doesn't cripple the PCIe lanes (like AMD does with the 6400 et al)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I tried to take a screenshot of my game using the NVIDIA shortcut, as I have for years, but it refused to work.

After doing some troubleshooting I discovered that you can not take NVIDIA screenshots or shadowplay videos if you have Netflix in a browser tab. Insanely obnoxious. I can use a different tool that will bypass that restriction but it shouldn't exist in the first place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well you might be trying to screenshot the great Netflix show you're watching to tell your friends about it and we can't allow that now.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Pressing print screen 24 times per second while I read the subtitles in Windows Voice Recorder

It's the modern equivalent of VHS.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

4070 Ti Super is the worst product name in a while, I think you have to go back to the Ti Boost days to get that bad.

Calling the 4070 supers 4075 and 4075 Ti would have required too much brainpower and leave an excessive number of marketing staff dead from exhaustion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SlowBloke posted:

Calling the 4070 supers 4075 and 4075 Ti would have required too much brainpower and leave an excessive number of marketing staff dead from exhaustion.

and cut into lunch time negronis and antipasti time? naw dude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Pressing print screen 24 times per second while I read the subtitles in Windows Voice Recorder

Somebody’s gonna automate that with a mechanical device and then the industry will really be in trouble

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just got a mobo that has one of those new PCI 5.0 slots, but it’s kinda uncomfortably close to the cooler cables/cpu

The mobo says one of the furthest slots is PCIEX 16(gen4)

It’s probably fine to install any current gpu in that gen 4 slot, right? I’m not sure cards even do anything with 5.0 rn

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It depends. What board and CPU is it?

A 16x physical slot is not always wired for 16x electrically, and it is likely that slot at the bottom of the board is hung off of the chipset lanes, which may incur a performance and compatibility penalty. It is very likely to work, but its worth getting the details to see if its worth it.

Also I wouldn't really worry about distance between the back of the GPU and the CPU cooler unless you are having temperature issues on one or the other. Big CPU tower coolers aren't normally radiating much heat back into the case, and in the vast majority of gamer builds its the GPU putting out nearly all of the systems heat output.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah, most boards will arrange the "GPU-intended" slot to be near the CPU (since it's using the PCIe lanes supported by the CPU directly). It'll look a bit close to the cooler once you build it out, but thermally it's perfectly fine.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

The PCIe gen won't have the biggest impact here, it will be the number of lanes that the slot is wired for (and/or the number of lanes the mobo can split towards that slot, if other slots are populated). The mobo manual should state the mode of the slot as well as a bifurcation table if applicable.

On some of the X670 boards I've been looking at with 3x mechanical PCIe slots, the bottom one is only capable of running in x1 mode which will absolutely tank performance.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It’s an Asus Prime Z-790 A / WiFi mobo + an RTX A5000 card

I’m still not done setting it up so I can still move things around, been a while but thankfully it posted without the GPU, just wanted to make sure before installing it o a wrong slot :downs:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s an Asus Prime Z-790 A / WiFi mobo + an RTX A5000 card

I’m still not done setting it up so I can still move things around, been a while but thankfully it posted without the GPU, just wanted to make sure before installing it o a wrong slot :downs:

The bottom slot is physically x16 but only wired for x4 and routed through the chipset, so I wouldn't recommend using it if at all possible.

Unless the CPU cooler is physically interfering with the A5000, it is likely to be fine. The A5000 has a blower style cooler and they are designed to run in much worse thermal conditions than you can imagine in a dense server config.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 21, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cygni posted:

The bottom slot is physically x16 but only wired for x4 and routed through the chipset, so I wouldn't recommend using it if at all possible.

Unless the CPU cooler is physically interfering with the A5000, it is likely to be fine. The A5000 has a blower style cooler and they are designed to run in much worse thermal conditions than you can imagine in a dense server config.

Ty! I’ll use the pci5 slot then :cheers:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm quite interested in the 3080 super and will be watching closely next month. I've been chugging along with a 3060 TI FE for two years now that I got after my 1080 died and this feels like the right moment: yeah prices are still going to be high but sales are down and competition is up and we are hopefully out of the era of each release getting a massive price hike.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bloodplay it again posted:

Oh, you mean the way we basically used to make Counter Strike videos?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

aw poo poo here we go again

https://twitter.com/CableMod/status/1738105567581761766

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Planned recall? Makes it sound like they sat at the design table going "and in about a year we'll recall them for safety reasons, so we can hit the news cycle again."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol people complained about them all the time and other adapters on reddit and then CableMod would always swoop in and go "nuh uh they're fine"

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That whole 12VHPWR connector mess has just been ridiculous.

You think people would've still remembered the mess caused by those old AT 6 pin connectors that people would constantly screw up and kill their mobo's with. If you make a connector that is easy to gently caress up people will gently caress it up!

While its not 10's of thousands of cards are getting killed by it yearly its been well over a year and despite multiple tweaks and adapters its still got a constant small stream of problems and RMA's caused by it.

AMD and NV never should've signed off on it. It didn't even really matter at all for the desktop market. It was more to appease the server guys trying to stuff everything into 1 or 2U cases. No one in the DIY desktop market really gives cares that much if they have to plug in 2 or 3 PCIe power connectors anyways.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's been a big mess that was unfortunately also compounded by how big the new gpu's were, leading to next to no clearance in cases, which also lead people to look for 90-degree adapters

it's ironic how evga were ahead of their time with powerlink, only for them to shut down just as the 40-series came out

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That whole 12VHPWR connector mess has just been ridiculous.

You think people would've still remembered the mess caused by those old AT 6 pin connectors that people would constantly screw up and kill their mobo's with. If you make a connector that is easy to gently caress up people will gently caress it up!

While its not 10's of thousands of cards are getting killed by it yearly its been well over a year and despite multiple tweaks and adapters its still got a constant small stream of problems and RMA's caused by it.

AMD and NV never should've signed off on it. It didn't even really matter at all for the desktop market. It was more to appease the server guys trying to stuff everything into 1 or 2U cases. No one in the DIY desktop market really gives cares that much if they have to plug in 2 or 3 PCIe power connectors anyways.

The server guys would likely prefer the HPCE edge connector that was shown at last computex instead of weird custom cables, the average server grabs the pcie accessory cable power thru the motherboard anyways.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 22, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

12VHPWR is too many cables in too small a connector to carry that much power and subject to that much cable routing.

An abject failure of (bad) form over function. I wonder if the 50 series will see some kind of change.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Probably only after enough lawsuits occur from those connectors causing house fires. Until then I'd expect 12VHPWR to continue spreading and being a bad connector.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

12VHPWR is too many cables in too small a connector to carry that much power and subject to that much cable routing.

An abject failure of (bad) form over function. I wonder if the 50 series will see some kind of change.

With a modern PSU it’s just one slim cable going straight to the video card. Nice and tidy. These failures are a problem with the lovely female connectors NVIDIA used in the first revision cards, and CableMod producing poo poo products.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Animal posted:

These failures are a problem with the lovely female

Typical gamer brain in action.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I haven't even heard any stories since that initial run of melting connectors about 12-pins failing except the CableMod adapters. Also they revised the standard so it doesn't work unless it's properly plugged in aka how it should've been from the beginning.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Crap. I use argus monitor to control my fans, based on.. GPU temps. I upgraded display drivers and apparently nvidia hosed up gpu temp monitoring. So I started up a game and it.. black screened. I rebooted and saw a bunch of dwm errors in event log. Mystified, I happened to check argus monitor and realized it is not reporting any temps for gpu. Reads just: --

Well according to patch notes Argus has this: Fix for missing GPU temperature on Nvidia GPUs for drivers newer than 545.84.

Welp... hopefully a gpu won't break from a single overheating event :v:

I wish Argus monitor would default to MAX FANS if it can't get a temp reading. Instead of minimum settings.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've tried four times to make my own 12vhpwr connector and the amphenol connectors suck absolute poo poo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What is wrong with the angled adapters? And how did they make a 1.1 version that still has to be recalled :psyduck:

And yeah the RTX 5000 will use the same thing but with a different name and slight improvements which address the main criticisms of 12VHPWR.

But hey, sure, "user error".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

I've tried four times to make my own 12vhpwr connector and the amphenol connectors suck absolute poo poo

I just have been cutting the Nvidia-brand 12VHPWR dongles and soldering all the negatives and positives into a single XT60 and those have been working for me great on the 3080 and 4080. It's almost like they should have just... used XT60 in the first place.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

did cablemod not use the shorter sense pins in the updated adapters? confused how they are still having the melting issues

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

did cablemod not use the shorter sense pins in the updated adapters? confused how they are still having the melting issues

Supposedly even with the shorter sense pins its still somehow possible to get improper connections on the power pins but have the sense pins connected and cause melting or other damage.

I don't know all the details on this, and end user error is probably a issue too BUUUT if you design the connector properly in the first place generally problems like this don't really happen. Those old PCIe connectors for instance, while large and chunky, generally do the job just fine without running into this outside of unusual circumstances.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Supposedly even with the shorter sense pins its still somehow possible to get improper connections on the power pins but have the sense pins connected and cause melting or other damage.

I don't know all the details on this, and end user error is probably a issue too BUUUT if you design the connector properly in the first place generally problems like this don't really happen. Those old PCIe connectors for instance, while large and chunky, generally do the job just fine without running into this outside of unusual circumstances.

Yeah, if you can plug it in wrong it's a badly designed connector.

The far end of the spectrum for this is mil-c-5015 / AN family of connectors you see in a lot of military and industrial applications. Big array of plugs that snap in without much care for orientation and a chonky as gently caress locking ring, usually threaded. It's both secure as poo poo and pretty idiot proof, the perfect thing to supply vital power connections in ships and tanks and other crap that you literally have plan around bombs being dropped on it, and which needs to be secured and maintained by an 18 year old draftee.

I'm not saying you need that to plug in your 4090 (although I'm not not saying it. . . . ) but the point being that if you are willing use a bit of space and design it properly you can make a connector that a) will not work at all if not installed properly b) is very clear to anyone with eyes how to install it properly and c) is securely held in place.

Probably a bit of an expense, but then again we're also talking about cards that MSRP for north of $1.5k so one would imagine a more robust plug could be budgeted.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, if you can plug it in wrong it's a badly designed connector.

The far end of the spectrum for this is mil-c-5015 / AN family of connectors you see in a lot of military and industrial applications. Big array of plugs that snap in without much care for orientation and a chonky as gently caress locking ring, usually threaded. It's both secure as poo poo and pretty idiot proof, the perfect thing to supply vital power connections in ships and tanks and other crap that you literally have plan around bombs being dropped on it, and which needs to be secured and maintained by an 18 year old draftee.

I'm not saying you need that to plug in your 4090 (although I'm not not saying it. . . . ) but the point being that if you are willing use a bit of space and design it properly you can make a connector that a) will not work at all if not installed properly b) is very clear to anyone with eyes how to install it properly and c) is securely held in place.

Probably a bit of an expense, but then again we're also talking about cards that MSRP for north of $1.5k so one would imagine a more robust plug could be budgeted.
i'd like the opportunity to use overkill connectors on my gear but it's a race to the bottom on bom for the consumer space, besides most gear doesn't get used for decades

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'd like the opportunity to use overkill connectors on my gear but it's a race to the bottom on bom for the consumer space, besides most gear doesn't get used for decades

I get that it's a race to the bottom and that margins are thin, but on high value parts it does seem like the extra cost could be handled, even if it was passed on directly to the consumer.

If I was buying a $1700 card and had the option to get a $1750 card that had a power connector that I absolutely, 100% did not need to worry about melting down and killing my very expensive card, I'd pony up the 3% in cost.

I know it's a fantasy, but I'd love it if some AIB partner would offer it as an option. Frankly the higher end cards are getting expensive enough that ordering them with options you select isn't too crazy. If I can have a $1500 laptop made to order it should be possible with a more expensive graphics card.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im firmly on team "junk the entire ATX spec and start over", from board+card layouts, to the thermal design, power connectors, and front panel pins. i know everyone is afraid of another BTX failure, but its laughably overdue.

at a minimum, GPUs should be on the same thermal plane as CPUs instead of 90 degrees vertical, and power should be delivered without additional 12v wires running from the power supply. what am i, a caveman? wiring a pc? in my cave? that also has mains power?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cygni posted:

im firmly on team "junk the entire ATX spec and start over", from board+card layouts, to the thermal design, power connectors, and front panel pins. i know everyone is afraid of another BTX failure, but its laughably overdue.

at a minimum, GPUs should be on the same thermal plane as CPUs instead of 90 degrees vertical, and power should be delivered without additional 12v wires running from the power supply. what am i, a caveman? wiring a pc? in my cave? that also has mains power?
yeah i've been on this boat for a couple of years now and it coupled with all the immature tech (in the sense that we're putting a first bit of kit to market by the time a new standard has been ratified rather than doing leaps of substantial progress) we have currently is the main barrier to me upgrading at all

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get that it's a race to the bottom and that margins are thin, but on high value parts it does seem like the extra cost could be handled, even if it was passed on directly to the consumer.

Part of the problem is that the connector needs to also be suitable for the low value parts. I assume the plan is that in the future 12VHPWR will be the only power connector in GPUs.