Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CJacobs posted:

Ohh, that's a handy change. Seems like the patch notes are literal. Before, the game would only keep track of playthrough one and if you beat playthrough two, then playthrough three afterwards would ignore the second one happened. Pick anything up in playthrough 2 and it wouldn't be there in your log or ingame if you go back for a third to finish it off. Someone on Reddit missed the shotgun for saga that way.

This fixes a problem with Control's chapter select that this game almost had, where it treats chapter markers as permanent save files and will always give you the inventory you had at that moment if you go back in time... Unable to be overwritten by playing forward again unless you go all the way.

By track, what does it mean exactly?

I just got to the first shoebox on ng+ and my charms and guns are in there, but the case board for each of the collectibles is empty.

That's handy for knowing what ones I don't have but I'm not sure what it's tracking exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kin posted:

By track, what does it mean exactly?

I just got to the first shoebox on ng+ and my charms and guns are in there, but the case board for each of the collectibles is empty.

That's handy for knowing what ones I don't have but I'm not sure what it's tracking exactly.

I assume it means stuff like the things that unlock stuff like deer heads or cultist stashes, so you can get the benefits from having them all immediately.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kchama posted:

I assume it means stuff like the things that unlock stuff like deer heads or cultist stashes, so you can get the benefits from having them all immediately.

Hmm, I'm a little bit into the ng+ and over still gotta solve the puzzles for each of the stashes.

Though once emptied, they now stay on the map as unopened containers for some reason.

The lighthouse requires a specific key to access it but I've not reached that part or the point of being able to access the deer head door to check that either.

It's all a bit confusing really because do far it's just the charms and words (as well as my weapons/upgrades) that have carried over.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kin posted:

Hmm, I'm a little bit into the ng+ and over still gotta solve the puzzles for each of the stashes.

Though once emptied, they now stay on the map as unopened containers for some reason.

The lighthouse requires a specific key to access it but I've not reached that part or the point of being able to access the deer head door to check that either.

It's all a bit confusing really because do far it's just the charms and words (as well as my weapons/upgrades) that have carried over.

Yeah I just wonder if you can access those things the moment it is possible instead of having to Collect it All again.

I assume the most obvious issue is that previously the NG+ would not save all the Words and Charms you collected on playthrough 2 going into playthrough 3, it'd instead be like if you had just done playthrough 2 again.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, it must be referring to that in some weirdly vague way.

Can confirm there's no shortcut access to the deer room (and likely no shortcut access to the lighthouse).

That being said, i picked up all of the words of power, charms and lunchboxes the first time round. It doesn't look like I'll be able to max all weapon upgrades and words of power perks with the second run, but other than doing that (for negligible gain) is there any reason to do a ng++?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Kin posted:

Yeah, it must be referring to that in some weirdly vague way.

Can confirm there's no shortcut access to the deer room (and likely no shortcut access to the lighthouse).

That being said, i picked up all of the words of power, charms and lunchboxes the first time round. It doesn't look like I'll be able to max all weapon upgrades and words of power perks with the second run, but other than doing that (for negligible gain) is there any reason to do a ng++?

I was able to max out Saga's gun upgrades in NG+ but you can't max out the Words for Alan. There are some additional story elements added in NG+ if you care to find them yourself and not just watch them on Youtube.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I touched all the deer faces and then the one in the mind place but I couldn't find anything that changed around the real world FBI room.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Check the wing of rooms in the lodge opposite the FBI room.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The change happens in the Lodge where the rooms are. Incidentally playing ng+ gave me some appreciation of tiny plot progression stuff like the lady who first appeared near a car being upset from a fight, then later knocking on a door asking to be let in, and towards the end frantically asking if the occupant inside were OK

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Owl Inspector posted:

I touched all the deer faces and then the one in the mind place but I couldn't find anything that changed around the real world FBI room.

Room 108

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I checked that too and it was still locked. must have been bugged.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Did you scritch the deer head in the real FBI room (not the Mind Place one)?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Owl Inspector posted:

I checked that too and it was still locked. must have been bugged.

So the mind place deer says none are left to find?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I touched both versions and got the line in the mind place about its real world counterpart. I looked it up and apparently there's supposed to be a deer that appears when you go to the real FBI room one after that and that just didn't happen for me. it doesn't really matter, looks like all it gets you is some normal items

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5DHuGammM&t=360s

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

When did the whole champion of light/herald of darkness thing start? I didn't remember it from before the We Sing chapter, but I've been watching a playthrough of American Nightmare, and I had a good laugh when the Night Springs announcer started using it right from the game's intro. Was it something I just forgot in the first game?

(Also, American Nightmare seems like a big step forward in presentation and mechanics, I probably should've actually played through it at some point)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The terms were invented in American Nightmare, with the explanation that an old lovely episode of Night Springs Alan wrote used them and he tried to adapt that story to use against Scratch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still don't quite understand why American Nightmare's ending didn't work on Scratch. I saw that douchey doppelganger burn like the Ark of the Covenant opened in front of him!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the point in 2 is "Wake did not rewrite an ending that fits with the actual theme of the story that Scratch wrote" and arguably this is true because American Nightmare was an arcade shooter type of game compared to 1. In that sense Rose's fanfiction also did not become creative enough work to allow for one to cross into the dark presence clearly she should have made the character Naughty Alan and it would be an original work significantly divorced from the original, much like 50 Shades of Grey was originally a Twilight fanfic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mr Scratch is fuckin wrong, crashing a satellite into the Earth set to Kasabian three times in a row is the perfect way to shove his powers back up his rear end. :mad:

(but thank you for the explanation that makes sense)

edit: Haha I didn't even notice until writing that out, that Alan Wake 2 is not the first time Alan has had to walk through the same setpiece thrice before his proposed changes actually made a difference. Remedy you rule :allears:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 21, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've not finished ng+ yet so don't know if it adds more to this but when Alan first meets Ahti, he corrects him calling him Tom. Ahti then says a tool of a tool is like half the work, or something to that effect.

In the base game it kinda feels like he's referring to the lamp you're about to pick up being the "tool", but actually is he confirming that Alan is actually a creation of Tom Zane to get out of the dark place and thus the "tool" that's being used to help him escape?

Like it's not until later in the game you see that Alan and Zane look identical so you don't have that context to Ahti's comments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s possible. I hope the DLC gives more info on Zane.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kin posted:

I've not finished ng+ yet so don't know if it adds more to this but when Alan first meets Ahti, he corrects him calling him Tom. Ahti then says a tool of a tool is like half the work, or something to that effect.

In the base game it kinda feels like he's referring to the lamp you're about to pick up being the "tool", but actually is he confirming that Alan is actually a creation of Tom Zane to get out of the dark place and thus the "tool" that's being used to help him escape?

Like it's not until later in the game you see that Alan and Zane look identical so you don't have that context to Ahti's comments.

That is actually what I had thought he was referring to at the time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still think that poet Zane was the original version but the filmmaker Zane came into existence because the Dark Place cannot truly make or unmake something so when Zane wrote himself out of existence, there was a Zane-shaped hole that had to be filled.

zane zane zane

edit: Jesse Faden remembers the poet version, and as a powerful parautilitarian she should be resistant to reality altering effects.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The way Mr Door speaks to Alan makes me think the reason Alan's previous escapes didn't work is because Alan was making things too convoluted. loops, spirals, rituals. All incredibly complicated stuff. Door said it might work eventually, in spite of that. and he's kinda right. Alan totally hosed up the FBC, killing countless innocent employees, and the escape he wrote wouldn't happen for several years.

Had Alan kept it simple by writing departure and return as 22 minutes sitcoms things would have worked out much more neatly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Filmmaker Zane is a really scary prospect and I kinda love the way the game touches on it through mixed media. At Hartman's lodge in AW1, there are artists painting stills, implying that the Dark Presence can jump mediums based on the wielder. There is one massive difference between a book and a film in my mind with regards to the Dark Presence: A book is something you pick up and choose to read of your own volition. You have to participate in the manuscript to become a part of it. The Hiss incantation was written on paper, and so it spreads by being spoken aloud.

But a film can be shown to you by someone else. Control for example is full of televisions which casually spill government secrets to anyone who walks by and often proclaim that what you're about to see will change your perception of reality forever. Now imagine if a film advertisement said that to you and everyone in the world and for once it wasn't bullshit. Would you go see that film? What if the film came and found you?

edit: I take it all back. I would absolutely watch the The Ring tape except Ilkka Villi is spinning around rapidly in the chair

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 21, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, I've just made it all the way back to the inventory expansion in bright falls in ng+ and it's still bugged.

The chest is locked, but when you open it the item isn't inside as if you already collected it in the first playthrough.

This shits never getting patched due to the epic exclusivity is it?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kin posted:

Well, I've just made it all the way back to the inventory expansion in bright falls in ng+ and it's still bugged.

The chest is locked, but when you open it the item isn't inside as if you already collected it in the first playthrough.

This shits never getting patched due to the epic exclusivity is it?

tbe last patch should have fixed it, according to the patch notes. Did you just load your old ng+ file from before the patch or did you follow the instructions in the patch notes?

Y'know, the notes that aren't linked anywhere in the launcher that you need to google to even figure out if there was a patch at all since the game just auto updates so quickly?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just remembered that one of the repeated "ages" of the hiss is celluloid film melting on a hot projector lamp. both a poem and a film

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

tbe last patch should have fixed it, according to the patch notes. Did you just load your old ng+ file from before the patch or did you follow the instructions in the patch notes?

Y'know, the notes that aren't linked anywhere in the launcher that you need to google to even figure out if there was a patch at all since the game just auto updates so quickly?

Yeah, did the whole going back into the old save and starting a new ng+.

All my other charms and inventory expansions have carried over and I was able to get the stash on the beach that had been bugged too.

There's no item in the stash when I open it, like it's just an empty box as if it thinks I've already picked it up on the base game. No funky interactive points or anything like there was before.

It's all still busted generally anyway. Most of the stashes I opened and looted turned into unopened containers on the map.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kin posted:

Yeah, did the whole going back into the old save and starting a new ng+.

All my other charms and inventory expansions have carried over and I was able to get the stash on the beach that had been bugged too.

There's no item in the stash when I open it, like it's just an empty box as if it thinks I've already picked it up on the base game. No funky interactive points or anything like there was before.

It's all still busted generally anyway. Most of the stashes I opened and looted turned into unopened containers on the map.

weird, the game probably thinks you picked that inventory upgrade up already. And yeah I've noticed the cultist stashes remaining on the map as unopened containers, but tbh I don't mind too much and it feels kind of intentional. It's nice being able to find them again easily if you needed to double check it for something or wanted to reread the note.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I started a NG+ before the patch, I stopped playing when I got to coffee world. I had to reopen all stashes except the one that had the crossbow, icon doesn’t go away on the map. I may go start a new NG+ with the method they put in their patch notes sometime next year, maybe after some more patches come out. :newlol:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i couldn't pick up the final doll in the nursery rhyme stashes until like seven patches later. just going at bugs with a gatling gun

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
We're currently finishing our NG+ run currently, haven't been able to get any inventory upgrades due to being too far in to want to reset. Would have been good!

I suspect when the DLC comes out I might do another run just for fun, and by then maybe they'll have got all the bugs.

Still can't find the last two Pat radios through, only found seven.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Kind of a pain that NG+ doesn't carry over Alan's words of power properly. I found all of them on my most recent playthrough and made of note of how I had assigned them, but in NG+ I only have about half and they're laid out completely differently.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: Jesse Faden remembers the poet version, and as a powerful parautilitarian she should be resistant to reality altering effects.

She remembers the poet version at first, but IIRC when she pokes her head into the Spiral Room in AWE her memory gets "updated" to Filmmaker Zane when she sees him. She even has a line that's something like "How did I get that wrong?"

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

There's also the odd sort of loop around the two Toms. Tom the filmmaker made a film about Tom the poet and it's running at (Tom the) Poet's Cinema?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm fairly sure that Tom The Filmmaker is bad news but Tom the Poet might not be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh thank God this discussion has happened. It was driving me crazy trying to remember where I had heard Ilkka Villi's voice before, for the entire duration of Alan Wake 2. Clawing at my face trying to remember type poo poo. Like an itch you can't scratch. I could not place it but I knew I had heard him and yet I only know him from these games so how is that possible and yyyeeeaarrrgggghhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsD2p9EgHoE

He portrays Zane in the itty bitty scene being discussed itt. He even toasts Alan in Finnish. Thank you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 23, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tom the filmmaker is Tom the Poets doppelganger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Some reviewers rate it with godlike numbers, others say it's a boring walking simulator/woke game ......guys, I can't decide if Alan Wake 2 deserve my money. :negative: