Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Saudi Royal Family has pretty savvy image management these days. Can’t imagine them tarnishing their reputation through overt association with the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Uncle Steve Will not be outbid!

Gets outbid.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Very funny how all the reporting about him was "this guy wants the big stage, wants to be a star" etc. and he ends up on a team that will never be the big story in town over whatever is happening with the Lakers even if they suck, and will also end up being second fiddle to Ohtani.

Cashman also is out there frantically waiving the "we tried" flag like the loser he is.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol the Jays getting mentioned as also rans will always be hilarious

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

This is probably a hot take but why bother trading for Soto if your gonna balk at signing Yamamoto over 25 million. Soto by himself isn't enough and now what are you left with

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is it a luxury tax thing? That does seem like a dumb amount to quibble over

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sports radio mentioned that apparently the Mets offered the 325 and then the dodgers matched so welp

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is it a luxury tax thing? That does seem like a dumb amount to quibble over

Probably, and a cheap thing. Once you are at 10/300 how can you go 12/325 is too much when it's less money per year

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m bummed but it’s understandable. Being able to get a mega deal from the best team (and perennial winners of the Bawfuls Memorial Best Regular Season Award) over the past few years, be on a coast closer to home, and plug into the Japanese speaking network that surrounds Ohtani and will only grow with Yamamoto there makes sense makes a lot of sense. Why go to either New York team when both are completely hosed up and farther from home and offering the same deal?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m bummed but it’s understandable. Being able to get a mega deal from the best team (and perennial winners of the Bawfuls Memorial Best Regular Season Award) over the past few years, be on a coast closer to home, and plug into the Japanese speaking network that surrounds Ohtani and will only grow with Yamamoto there makes sense makes a lot of sense. Why go to either New York team when both are completely hosed up and farther from home and offering the same deal?

Yeah, I don't know why Yankees fans are acting like it was purely a money thing and a few million more would have sealed the deal.

On the Dodgers he gets to play for a good team with probably the best player of all time who is also his countryman.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nodoze posted:

Probably, and a cheap thing. Once you are at 10/300 how can you go 12/325 is too much when it's less money per year
Because no matter how high they went the Dodgers would have matched. After a couple rounds of that the other teams stopped bidding, because driving up the price of free agents is bad for The Owners as a group.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hearing the Jays are finalists for Bellinger, so I assume he's signing with the Dodgers any minute now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yep, exactly. And honestly, for all the talk about the Ricketts, they had to take on a ton of debt to buy the team, so I still wonder how much money they actually have. It's easily enough to be Top 5 in payroll if they wanted to year-after-year, but the debt thing was always worrisome.

Trump’s legal fees ain’t gonna pay themselves

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
disappointed that the yanks didn’t get yamamoto, would have liked watching that guy

please don’t do something stupid

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think Boras feels confident that if the Yankees whiff on Snell they will give Bellinger the whole Brinks truck, because for The New York Yankees to be coming off their worst season in 30 years with four marquee free agents on the market and to sign none of them would just be unthinkable.

I think Snell will be the guy they comically overpay though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Snell kind of sucks, signing him would be a huge mistake

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

This is probably a hot take but why bother trading for Soto if your gonna balk at signing Yamamoto over 25 million. Soto by himself isn't enough and now what are you left with

They have to go for it every year while Judge and Cole are in their prime.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I saw another rumor that the Yankees had started at 9/325, I assume the Dodgers went to 12 years first and he took it. Or maybe I just want to think that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

imo it's pretty clear that the Dodgers simply told Ohtani and Yamamoto "go shop for whatever offer you can get and then we'll match it." Everyone knew they wanted to sign with the Dodgers as long as the money was there, so there was really no reason for the Dodgers to pursue any other negotiating strategy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw another rumor that the Yankees had started at 9/325, I assume the Dodgers went to 12 years first and he took it. Or maybe I just want to think that.

This makes no sense..... 9/325 is more money than 12/325

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They have to go for it every year while Judge and Cole are in their prime.

Trading for Soto alone isn't "going for it"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No Dodgers fan will be safe if they fail to win the World Series

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Trading for Soto alone isn't "going for it"

Yeah they need to make more incremental improvements all over the roster which isn't impossible but I don't really have faith in cashman to do it but also they are probably a playoff team now if Judge plays the whole season.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
snell is so boring to watch that I would honestly prefer a worse pitcher for the sake of my own selfish entertainment

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

325 million is probably an important number for both the agent and player. They both get to say they got the largest guarantee for a pitcher ever. The Yankees refusing to get to 325 is very disrespectful imo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pissing off Gerrit Cole is probably not a great strategy either though.

Anyway Snell can probably be had for less than $325M which is why I think that is what the Yankees will do (and spend the next 8 years regretting)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We don’t know the details on the opt outs I guess so who knows how similar these all are

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have to think the pivot for the Yanks is trying to pry Dylan Cease away from the White Sox. Since Reinsdorf is cheap, maybe that means eating Moncada’s salary to not send as many prospects

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cease had a 97 ERA+ last year, 2022 definitely looks to be a massive outlier.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pissing off Gerrit Cole is probably not a great strategy either though.

Willing to wager Cole would rather get a ring than hold some illusory contract record.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Boras feels confident that if the Yankees whiff on Snell they will give Bellinger the whole Brinks truck, because for The New York Yankees to be coming off their worst season in 30 years with four marquee free agents on the market and to sign none of them would just be unthinkable.

I think Snell will be the guy they comically overpay though.

Not all marquee free agents are created equal. Bellinger and Snell aren’t in the same class as Ohtani or Yamamoto

I’m in the camp of “pay free agents, whatever, it’s not my money,” but I think a common mistake is to miss out on your top target and then immediately try to get the next best guy. If that happens enough times, you’re eventually bidding on someone who’s not really that good because you feel like you have to sign someone. It feels like basically every albatross contract was handed out by a team hoping to get a chair before the music stopped

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd take that bet. It's not about a record, it's about his own team paying another pitcher more money than him. It's not rational but it's the logic held by many professional athletes, your value as a person is entirely encapsulated by the amount of money you are being paid.

Professional athletes are, well, professionals. Most of them would sure like to get a ring if they can, but money is more important. Just like money is more important to me than being named Employee of the Year.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Nodoze posted:

Snell kind of sucks, signing him would be a huge mistake

Is that Randy Levine's music I hear?!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cole is taking his opt out after this season and the Yankees will then tack on a year at 36 million. He can't really do anything about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Cole is taking his opt out after this season and the Yankees will then tack on a year at 36 million. He can't really do anything about it.

He seems perfectly fine to stay here? it's worked out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya for sure. But why would he not use his opt out? The Yankees then have the option to void it by adding another year at 36 million. He'd be nuts not to do it.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
gently caress it. RAINN Toxx. If the Yankees don't panic overpay for a mediocre-plus or extremely injury-prone player before New Year's Day, I will donate $25 to RAINN in Verdugo's name.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I love players getting money. I just get sad when it's only the one team spending all of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya for sure. But why would he not use his opt out? The Yankees then have the option to void it by adding another year at 36 million. He'd be nuts not to do it.

Of course he's going to do that and of course the Yankees are going add the extra year.

Nodoze posted:

Cease had a 97 ERA+ last year, 2022 definitely looks to be a massive outlier.

I prefer Burnes to Cease. The guy I wanted was ERod but you guys shat all over that idea but he would've been a better value than any of these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

I love players getting money. I just get sad when it's only the one team spending all of it.

the other teams are trying to spend it but they are not located in los angeles