Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
EVIL DEAD RISE was not good but they could not have possibly picked a better lead actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I enjoyed EDR but I saw it in the theatre with the worst possible fuckboi/girl audience. I think the fact that I enjoyed it even a little with people openly talking all the way through it and getting up and walking around to talk to other groups of people in the theatre is a testament to the quality of the movie itself.

I get so infuriated when I hear about this and count my lucky stars I have so many nice theater options and rarely have to go to the multiplex. Why the gently caress do these people spend money on movie tickets? I absolutely will tell people to shut the gently caress up, but it sounds your theater was such a circus that would have been pointless.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
lotta people in here acting like there's any bad evil dead movies

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Crescent Wrench posted:

I get so infuriated when I hear about this and count my lucky stars I have so many nice theater options and rarely have to go to the multiplex. Why the gently caress do these people spend money on movie tickets? I absolutely will tell people to shut the gently caress up, but it sounds your theater was such a circus that would have been pointless.

I very rarely have issues at my movie theater but all of my bad experiences have been at horror movies:

Invisible Man - two old ladies were incredibly confused and started asking people in the audience to explain the movie. When the Invisible Man was in the hospital attacking everyone they started screaming "YOU GOTTA SHOOT THE AIR! THE AIR IS ATTACKING YOU!"

A Quiet Place Part 2 - this was the first movie my wife and I saw since 2020 in theaters, some dude literally took a cell phone call in the middle of it until we booed him enough to leave.

Last Voyage of the Demeter - I think some guy dumped his girlfriend at the beginning of the movie or something because they started arguing like crazy, then another woman in the group started backing up the guy and the two women ended up getting into a straight up fight in the theater. The whole group of 5 people then basically ran outta there by the time the previews started. There was also a guy and his wife that came in and sat real close to my wife and I. He goes "I can't wait for Dracula to kick some rear end" so I thought he was going to be cool, but like 45 min into the movie he and his wife got up and he loudly goes "THIS SUCKS rear end" and left.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

When the Invisible Man was in the hospital attacking everyone they started screaming "YOU GOTTA SHOOT THE AIR! THE AIR IS ATTACKING YOU!"

This one kind of rules.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah I absolutely can and have told people to shut up but this was like half the theatre. It was actually one of the more bizarre experiences I've had because it was like a bunch of people just decided to have a party in a full movie theatre.

Not quite as bad as the time a guy sat in the row in front of me in a 4DX screening of Prometheus with his very drunk girlfriend and she was extremely using the water spraying gimmick to masturbate though.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

A Fancy Hat posted:

I very rarely have issues at my movie theater but all of my bad experiences have been at horror movies:

Yeah, my last terrible experience seeing a movie at the theater was when we went to the AMC nearby because our local place around the corner wasn't showing The VVitch, and there was a family sitting next to us where one of the younger members was whispering in Vietnamese to an older member in what sounded like them translating/explaining the entire movie as they went.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I've shared my NOPE story here before but a guy sitting by himself near the front got plastered because there's a liquor store next to this theater and was doing the whole "yell at the screen" thing, but he was the only person doing it. Eventually someone told him to shut up and he basically turned into Lincoln from that WKUK sketch, except instead of threatening to fight John Wilkes Booth he was threatening to suck everyone in the theater's dicks and eventually the cops had to pull him out.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nikumatic posted:

Yeah, my last terrible experience seeing a movie at the theater was when we went to the AMC nearby because our local place around the corner wasn't showing The VVitch, and there was a family sitting next to us where one of the younger members was whispering in Vietnamese to an older member in what sounded like them translating/explaining the entire movie as they went.

Not a bad experience exactly, but the first time I saw The Witch was also at a big chain. I saw it at a random 1 p.m. showing or something on a weekday in a sparsely populated theater. After it ended, I was sitting there blown away by an instant classic I absolutely loved.

My reverie was broken up by a woman shouting "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? JUST WHEN IT WAS STARTING TO GET GOOD!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My favorite theatre experience is Ang Lee's Hulk where some 10 year old kid behind kept yelling "Burn!", but he didn't quite get it so he was using in place of "Awesome/Cool"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Nikumatic posted:

lotta people in here acting like there's any bad evil dead movies

EDR is by far the worst but it's still quite good with a lot of things to love about it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the only bad experiences i have had is before the recliner days one of my buddies was a magnet for people behind to kick his chair

every loving movie was him facing backwards yelling at people who likely accidentally bumped his chair because they gave you 2" between aisles

i do not miss those days. if i ever see a non-recliner again im turning right around and getting my money back

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

There's only one theater near me that has the recliner and I went to go see It: Chapter 2 there.

I fell asleep and had one of the most restful naps of my life through the last 20 minutes or so of that movie, it was awesome, except I was seeing it with two friends who have a podcast and wanted my opinion on the movie vs the book for the podcast. So I had really detailed thoughts for like half the film, then a bunch of "you know it kinda drags here" and then "obviously you can't really film the book ending in the same way but I just felt like the movie ending lacked the emotional punch of the book".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm willing to bet that a lot of reviews are based on that experience. I've certainly fallen asleep and written things kinda like that for a review (not often, I feel like it's a little dishonest), and I've been to many press screenings where multiple people are snoring away (this is always funny and a little sad when the director and/or cast is in attendance).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'd rather have an uncomfortable chair than a recliner. These recliners are just bad for the general public and lead to people treating the theater like their home and arriving in top to bottom sweats and sandals with a bag of dim sum (this literally happened to me at a screening of Ferrari the other night) and a blanket.

Take all that poo poo out of the theater and give us some stone steps to sit on. People dont deserve poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Recliners in theatres are great for the first few rows, so you're not craning your neck, but I hate when the seats in the back half recline because now you have to tilt your head down to see the movie or else you're just staring at the ceiling. It almost feels like a mistake, especially when they're the kind of seat that reclines if you lean against the back at all.

The true horror is bad posture.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dorium posted:

I'd rather have an uncomfortable chair than a recliner. These recliners are just bad for the general public and lead to people treating the theater like their home and arriving in top to bottom sweats and sandals with a bag of dim sum (this literally happened to me at a screening of Ferrari the other night) and a blanket.

Take all that poo poo out of the theater and give us some stone steps to sit on. People dont deserve poo poo.

The dim sum might be crossing a line but I do not and never will dress up to go to a theatre ever again unless it's like a festival screening with a red carpet or something and even then, I might not.

E: to be clear, I'm going to be clean, but I'm wearing sweats to most screenings these days.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

dorium posted:

We used to wear suits on planes!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

arriving in top to bottom sweats and sandals with a bag of dim sum (this literally happened to me at a screening of Ferrari the other night) and a blanket.

lol nothing wrong with this

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont want to be smelling anyones sweats fog or boiled pork juices when im trying to watch a movie. I can just go visit my father for that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lmao new thread title when I get home " The air is attacking you!"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lord strike me down the day I don’t like the smell of boiled pork juices

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Goddamn I wish theatres just ditched the popcorn machines and just had a crew of people making dumplings back there. Dumplings are a pretty drat perfect movie food.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

Lord strike me down the day I don’t like the smell of boiled pork juices

hey i like em, but when im getting engrossed in a Michael Mann movie the last thing i need is someone loudly masticating and slurping up soup dumplings as the release another fart attack through well worn sweats.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

lmao

I love the recliners. I'm at a theater now about to see Poor Things and this theater has chairs, which aren't terribly uncomfortable or anything, but I miss the recliners when they aren't available.

I know it's not a horror movie, but how was Ferrari? I'm seeing it the day after Christmas.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

hey i like em, but when im getting engrossed in a Michael Mann movie the last thing i need is someone loudly masticating and slurping up soup dumplings as the release another fart attack through well worn sweats.

Look if it helps a smelly fart monster is still going to be smelly in any clothing really

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rageaholic posted:

lmao

I love the recliners. I'm at a theater now about to see Poor Things and this theater has chairs, which aren't terribly uncomfortable or anything, but I miss the recliners when they aren't available.

I know it's not a horror movie, but how was Ferrari? I'm seeing it the day after Christmas.

Penelope Cruz completely steals the movie. She went deep into her bag on this one. Adam Driver dials down the crazy Italian accent into something reasonable. Mann delivered a solid film that’s way more character study than racing action movie. He used the same cinematographer that Fincher had on The Killer and the movie MOVES when it needs to but finds some real great angles for character moments.

It’s also a dad movie through and through. I had this dude next to me in the screening with the Ferrari Mechanic hat on his knee and he went “drat” during big character moments “what the hell” when something shocking happened and clapped when the Ferrari company was cleared of wrongful deaths. Mann really built out another gem for his cap.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bringing dim sum to a movie is an absolute king move, gently caress your popcorn I want har gow

E: most of the theaters in town have switched to recliner all around, but the multiplex where I saw The Matrix when it came out turned into a second-run theater, and is basically unchanged except for that they pulled the arcade out, so if I ever get nostalgic for the feeling of bubble gum crusted into a fabric seat I know where to go

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 22, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eventually someone told him to shut up and he basically turned into Lincoln from that WKUK sketch, except instead of threatening to fight John Wilkes Booth he was threatening to suck everyone in the theater's dicks and eventually the cops had to pull him out.

*I stand up, unbuckling my belt* Come on, people!! He can't possibly suck all our dicks!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

WeaponX posted:

lol nothing wrong with this

you're wildly underestimating how loud people are when they're trying to eat out of take-out containers in the dark. it sounds stupid but holy poo poo it's noisy and it always takes them forever.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I enjoyed EDR but I saw it in the theatre with the worst possible fuckboi/girl audience. I think the fact that I enjoyed it even a little with people openly talking all the way through it and getting up and walking around to talk to other groups of people in the theatre is a testament to the quality of the movie itself.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I absolutely can and have told people to shut up but this was like half the theatre. It was actually one of the more bizarre experiences I've had because it was like a bunch of people just decided to have a party in a full movie theatre.

Not quite as bad as the time a guy sat in the row in front of me in a 4DX screening of Prometheus with his very drunk girlfriend and she was extremely using the water spraying gimmick to masturbate though.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Invisible Man - two old ladies were incredibly confused and started asking people in the audience to explain the movie. When the Invisible Man was in the hospital attacking everyone they started screaming "YOU GOTTA SHOOT THE AIR! THE AIR IS ATTACKING YOU!"

A Quiet Place Part 2 - this was the first movie my wife and I saw since 2020 in theaters, some dude literally took a cell phone call in the middle of it until we booed him enough to leave.

Last Voyage of the Demeter - I think some guy dumped his girlfriend at the beginning of the movie or something because they started arguing like crazy, then another woman in the group started backing up the guy and the two women ended up getting into a straight up fight in the theater. The whole group of 5 people then basically ran outta there by the time the previews started. There was also a guy and his wife that came in and sat real close to my wife and I. He goes "I can't wait for Dracula to kick some rear end" so I thought he was going to be cool, but like 45 min into the movie he and his wife got up and he loudly goes "THIS SUCKS rear end" and left.

For everyone who's had a poor experience at the theater, I'm very sorry that happened to you. You made the effort to head out to the theater and spent good money to have a nice time out. I do hope you gave the theater the chance to make things right for you. At my theater, we have managers that it absolutely makes their day to deal with someone being disruptive. That said, I would say that one of the negatives from quarantine is that people have forgotten how to behave in public. For a while in the preshow stuff after reopening, we had a PSA of sorts reminding people that you're not at home so no vaping/smoking, don't be loud, get off your phone and stay dressed. That one struck me as so odd I asked my boss about it and he was 'yep, you should hear the stories during the conference calls'.

Granted, not every disruptive is going to be like the night we had some underage manage to get into a R rated movie, snuck in booze, and ended up fully stripping and having sex in the auditorium. I was heading out for the night and got to see security arguing with a can barely stand naked girl about putting her clothes back on.

As far as recliners go, that's pretty much the norm at this point. By me, the only theater that still has the old row rack bolted to the floor seating's over at The Guild which is the indie old single screen theater. Our recliners at least have a button to adjust how much you recline. I will admit they're very comfy and I've dozed off on occasion in one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My personal thing with these end of year lists is that people keep putting Scream 6 on them and that's one of my least favorite horror movies I saw all year, and definitely my least favorite that's actually getting praise places. Stuff like Blood and Honey was worse, but everyone knew that going in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Scream 5 was passable if only for the old characters having some good moments, but 6 was one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years horror or not. It flew past the line of satirizing horror genres and became a real time self-parody.

\/ :lol: I even completely forgot about that, but yes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 22, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Scream 6's biggest problem was nobody goddam dying. Everyone was invulnerable and walked just fine after getting stabbed 50 times

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

My personal thing with these end of year lists is that people keep putting Scream 6 on them and that's one of my least favorite horror movies I saw all year, and definitely my least favorite that's actually getting praise places. Stuff like Blood and Honey was worse, but everyone knew that going in.

I think there's just such a surplus of goodwill built up around Scream that any serviceable Scream sequel is going to probably get a little too much praise.

Also, these lists always try to make sure they have at least a few big mainstream movies on them, they typically try to mix those in so that they don't seem too far up their own rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

so i've never sat in a 4dx screening and i'm finding this hard to picture. like has she got a full on showerhead over there or what

dorium posted:

Penelope Cruz completely steals the movie. She went deep into her bag on this one. Adam Driver dials down the crazy Italian accent into something reasonable. Mann delivered a solid film that’s way more character study than racing action movie. He used the same cinematographer that Fincher had on The Killer and the movie MOVES when it needs to but finds some real great angles for character moments.

It’s also a dad movie through and through. I had this dude next to me in the screening with the Ferrari Mechanic hat on his knee and he went “drat” during big character moments “what the hell” when something shocking happened and clapped when the Ferrari company was cleared of wrongful deaths. Mann really built out another gem for his cap.

cruz is 100% the highlight, does some serious facial acting. this is a big time face movie, and as a lover of cinema featuring weird faces I appreciated it. this was the first time I did a dolby cinema and there's no way this movie lives up to that in any other setting, the doppler effect and vibrating seats when a car blasts across the screen was a hoot

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

so i've never sat in a 4dx screening and i'm finding this hard to picture. like has she got a full on showerhead over there or what

There are two little mister/sprayer nozzles on a little rail in front of your seat that spray at various points during the movie (in Prometheus, for example, when the eggs would explode). This lady had her feet up on the rail so the mister would spray directly into her business while she giggled and moaned.

This was my first and last 4DX screening.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

I've heard a lot of mixed about 4dx, most of it leaning towards the negative. From my understanding the water effect is you get hit with a misting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

D-Box was the peak of interactive seat cinema when I saw Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift in them. Sliding with the cars in the seat was sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

dorium posted:

D-Box was the peak of interactive seat cinema when I saw Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift in them. Sliding with the cars in the seat was sick.

DBox is one of those where for some movies it's incredibly worth it, and others it's a total 'meh'.