Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Piss And Shittium posted:

Downloaded SWTOR again. I normally get an itch for it every December. One of those cozy winter games. I also enjoy just logging in and chatting Star Wars on the in-game chat. Any fans about?

I played through the story content for it last year and had a great time. It works fairly well as a single player rpg these days.

There's a SWTOR thread somewhere in the MMO subforum if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I use to be really hardcore into SWTOR. It still has its goon following too. Game is really good! Stopped though because I just felt like I exhausted all of the content, and new stuff was coming too slowly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Piss And Shittium posted:

Downloaded SWTOR again. I normally get an itch for it every December. One of those cozy winter games. I also enjoy just logging in and chatting Star Wars on the in-game chat. Any fans about?

Love that game. Been playing it on and off again since 2011. They are going to run a double xp even from Dec 24 thru Jan 2nd

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

Love that game. Been playing it on and off again since 2011. They are going to run a double xp even from Dec 24 thru Jan 2nd
Nice.
I like your new avatar btw shard.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks. It's a wrestler watching aquaman in 3d and the moment I saw it I was like that could be good album cover or good av.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shard posted:

Thanks. It's a wrestler watching aquaman in 3d and the moment I saw it I was like that could be good album cover or good av.

I still think he wore the glasses so he could sleep through it

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If XCom 2 is one of favourite games ever, will I enjoy Jagged Alliance 3?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1738318769598890438?s=20

lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, that's some good implosion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Apparently people were flipping keys for like $300 :psyduck:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus christ lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, so I was gonna get myself Jedi Survivor on Christmas while it's on sale, and I realized I got the holiday EGS coupon that would make it a smooth 23 bucks

But I feel weird about actually buying a game on EGS lmao, my library there is entirely free games

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

Apparently people were flipping keys for like $300 :psyduck:

i assume the only people buying were streamers and "content creators" hoping to make more than $300 back from adviews on their "wow this game sux" video

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so I was gonna get myself Jedi Survivor on Christmas while it's on sale, and I realized I got the holiday EGS coupon that would make it a smooth 23 bucks

But I feel weird about actually buying a game on EGS lmao, my library there is entirely free games
Do what I do and link it to your gog account so it seems like it isn't an epic game

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Just in case, you were wondering what I disliked about Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster, when I brought it up in the GOTY thread, it's this:
"Enemies no longer cycle through their spell or skill lists or follow their gameplay scripts, instead randomly selecting any of their attacks each turn. This results in changes to game balance as enemies can choose to use the same spell or skills consecutively."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's pretty wild, some boss moves seem like they should definitely not just happen randomly.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Chemtrailologist posted:

If XCom 2 is one of favourite games ever, will I enjoy Jagged Alliance 3?

I haven't played it but I'm in the same boat as you where I'm super interested because of it being similar to XCOM 2 but as an 80s action movie.

Mortismal Gaming ranked it highly on his year end list fwiw, comparing it to XCOM 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They updated the Fortnite rhythm game. At launch there were four buttons. Now there are five. So all the songs have changed to be played with an extra button.

This is the most hateful, antagonistic, misanthropic thing any video game company has ever done.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1738205722922394007

Fallout on this is going to be interesting to watch. There's just so much data in the leak it's insane.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gripweed posted:

They updated the Fortnite rhythm game. At launch there were four buttons. Now there are five. So all the songs have changed to be played with an extra button.

This is the most hateful, antagonistic, misanthropic thing any video game company has ever done.

No that’s just Expert difficulty. Was like that from the start.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dewgy posted:

No that’s just Expert difficulty. Was like that from the start.

I'm playing on medium man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

what's the story with this game?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gripweed posted:

I'm playing on medium man

Well git gud then scrubbo. :colbert:

But seriously that is a little weird. Does it actually use all of the lanes? I know the older Guitar Hero games never used more than four buttons on Medium, but it still showed all five while you were playing.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Gripweed posted:

it's just another scam asset flip zombie survival crafting game, except this time Steam held all the purchases in limbo for refunds so they won't get any money out of it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a really good game and was highly enjoyable setting aside the bugs.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Khanstant posted:

That's pretty wild, some boss moves seem like they should definitely not just happen randomly.

I think they patched it so that Chaos rolls “gets 100% of their health back” somewhat less often than their other spells.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

two brothers ran a company called fntastic that mostly put out bad-to-mediocre multiplayer games that were promptly abandoned. they eventually put out a trailer for The Day Before, which promised to be an open world survival zombie game that had very promising looking aesthetics and gameplay, leading to it becoming the most wishlisted game on steam. they then promptly faffed about for several years without showing anything substantive, got into a hilarious snafu where they didn't copyright the name of their game and had it disputed in court by some korean guy who had a calendar app of the same name, rugpulled a supposed gameplay reveal trailer to instead promote one of their other games, Propnight (a cartoony DBD clone), and then dumped what was clearly an asset flip on the store to try and make a quick buck off peoples' hopes and dreams and skip town

they were an insanely shady racket that had their listed office in signapore for tax purposes and claimed to run off of "volunteers," which was a clear attempt at a legal dodge + scam, as they mentioned on their website that they had "volunteer compensation" program for certain volunteers. i don't think the actual game-as-such was ever real, so the drop was most likely an attempt to cash out and flee the scene while no one was looking

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam users are a special breed of gamer

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXYc6NDJKVw

Relink looking good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I *wanted* to give my money to a bunch of morons and/or scammers, it's my god given right as an AMERICAN.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Anyone have any gaming resolutions for 2024? I’m think I’m going to try to make it a year of second looks for games that are acclaimed but that I bounced off of or under-appreciated: Nier Automata, Undertale, Monster Hunter World being the main three but I’m sure I’ll think of others. I’m also going to finally start letting myself get some new releases instead of only buying one game a year and spending the rest of the time playing backlog games. Not that I won’t play the backlog, but I want to be part of the zeitgeist a little after missing it with so many huge games over the last few years.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anyone have any gaming resolutions for 2024? I’m think I’m going to try to make it a year of second looks for games that are acclaimed but that I bounced off of or under-appreciated: Nier Automata, Undertale, Monster Hunter World being the main three but I’m sure I’ll think of others. I’m also going to finally start letting myself get some new releases instead of only buying one game a year and spending the rest of the time playing backlog games. Not that I won’t play the backlog, but I want to be part of the zeitgeist a little after missing it with so many huge games over the last few years.

I am not going to buy a single game in 2024.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Are they hoping it'll make their steam account as valuable as a PS4 with PT installed on it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Are they hoping it'll make their steam account as valuable as a PS4 with PT installed on it?

I think that is the justification yeah.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Baba is Child Soldier In Giant Mech As Allegory For War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaCjtWsaQI
https://hempuli.itch.io/mobile-suit-baba

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fifteen of Many posted:

2160p

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Complete all of the Yakuza games. Right now I have 2 - 6 to play, and the Judgment titles, plus the new one coming out really soon.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My brain: hey you should take another look at that underwater minecraft clone early access game you played a while ago

Me, after a bit of googling: I can’t find it

My brain: yea I made that up

My brain: we had lots of fun playing it tho

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The "mother killed by enormous shell casings" scene from Gundam except she's struck by a gigantic verb ejected from a cute bunny/sheep mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

I think the only real resolution I have is "write more about the games I'm playing". I started a thread in PMF to track my gaming this year and while it's done a pretty admirable job of tracking the stuff that I played, the other thing I had planned to use it to organise was writeups of stuff that I was playing but I fell off of that pretty quickly.