Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

Prop design for sci-fi must be such a goddamn fun job. Actually a friend of mine works on the digital side of things and the other night he said he's on some TV show now where he's designing all sorts of "Halo-rear end, Mass Effect-rear end guns" that'll be turned into props from his renders. Something like that, anyway. And I'm turbo jealous.

That'd be awesome. I used to love watching Movie Magic on the Discovery channel in the 90s. It's probably a dying industry though due to CGI taking over the most basic of things.

Really? Couldn't even make a cheap rear end plastic gun? I wonder how much the CGI cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In and out, simple mission, just checking in with the locals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That'd be awesome. I used to love watching Movie Magic on the Discovery channel in the 90s. It's probably a dying industry though due to CGI taking over the most basic of things.

Really? Couldn't even make a cheap rear end plastic gun? I wonder how much the CGI cost.

Real talk:

Prop guys, model makers, set design, wardrobe, etc are all union shops.

If you just put the talent in cgi reference leotards covered in pingpong balls you can make rot-bodied fuckers with no collective bargaining power crunch for months to do it in a computer.

The holy grail for the soulless suits of course is to no longer need the talent, or the writers. Or even directors. Just push a button and wait for pickles for breakfast 2: brine harder to render and throw it on the slop trough of CONTENT.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 21, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah. Yeah that sounds about right. :smith:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Prop design for sci-fi must be such a goddamn fun job. Actually a friend of mine works on the digital side of things and the other night he said he's on some TV show now where he's designing all sorts of "Halo-rear end, Mass Effect-rear end guns" that'll be turned into props from his renders. Something like that, anyway. And I'm turbo jealous.

The OG Star Wars movies would have been the best. "Most expensive low budget movie," etc,.

"This space ship looks a little boring. I'll just grab pieces from that old rear end nazi tank model kit. Maybe some knobs from that RC car controller kit too."
"This "Han in Carbonite" prop is blank on the side. gently caress it, I'll strip the instrument panel from an old Volvo."

Now it's all cg, 3d printing, and blue screen. It'd be way more fun to go to the hardware store, model shop, and junkyard.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

Real talk:

If you just put the talent in cgi reference leotards covered in pingpong balls you can make rot-bodied fuckers with no collective bargaining power crunch for months to do it in a computer.

See also Union lighting crews and Disney's "the Volume."
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/1225599-the-volume-star-wars-revolutionary

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Real talk:

The holy grail for the soulless suits of course is to no longer need the talent, or the writers. Or even directors. Just push a button and wait for pickles for breakfast 2: brine harder to render and throw it on the slop trough of CONTENT.

Hold on, hold on just a second. The Pickles for Breakfast franchise has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:golfclap:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone hear about that Robocop: Rogue City game? It's on sale on steam and it has pretty stellar reviews. I'm sure I'll pick it up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1681430/RoboCop_Rogue_City/

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone hear about that Robocop: Rogue City game? It's on sale on steam and it has pretty stellar reviews. I'm sure I'll pick it up.

It's from the same people who made a terminator game a few years ago, it was pretty good too!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Azubah posted:

It's from the same people who made a terminator game a few years ago, it was pretty good too!

Oh poo poo. I only played a little bit of the Terminator game. I should check that one out again too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The demo was alright. Not AAA but dece and I award a full letter grade for no apparent game-as-service MTX bullshit.

Weird ask but is there a good source for the TV edit of RoboCop for family movie night?

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Oh poo poo. I only played a little bit of the Terminator game. I should check that one out again too.

The reviews I saw said it didn't do anything revolutionary, but the core mechanics were solid and the gunplay felt fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fatrick posted:

The reviews I saw said it didn't do anything revolutionary, but the core mechanics were solid and the gunplay felt fun.

Resistance is great, it’s an excellent spiritual successor to Terminator: Future Shock. The way it captures the vibe of the 2029 Future War aesthetic is uncanny, and it’s really cool how it has a palpable sense of increasing competence as Terminators start out as unkillable threats who need to be avoided at all costs, to being a manageable problem, to being something you can kill pretty effectively. Locations-specific damage on the Infiltrators is awesome, you can blow off the flesh of whatever body part you’re shooting at and reveal the endoskeleton underneath, it’s a cool detail. And the final assault on Skynet’s base is epic as hell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's an achievement for shooting a guy in the dick.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

edogawa rando posted:

ok, this went from 'eh' to 'must buy' in record time.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Achievement Unlocked :nws:

Fatrick fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 23, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao holy poo poo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That's firmly in my 'know exactly what it is before I even click on it' pile

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Torquemada posted:

That's firmly in my 'know exactly what it is before I even click on it' pile

I still watch it every time, because it's amazing.

It's also by the guys who did Lasagna Cat

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It has shockingly high production value for what it is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

deoju posted:

It has shockingly high production value for what it is.

I originally watched it in the context of Our RoboCop Remake where the movie so far had been almost 1:1 with wildy varying production value from bad animation to babies to action figure stop motion.

The only stand out before it was interpretive dance death of Murphy.

So the fact that it starts out so slick lulls me into thinking they're just going to do their best to show an indy studio can make a literal reproduction of what used to be a expensive Hollywood scenr. Then POW dicks everywhere. Had me cackling

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Weird ask but is there a good source for the TV edit of RoboCop for family movie night?

The tv edit cuts like half hour of footage and if you can't show violence then why show Robocop at all?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fish of hemp posted:

The tv edit cuts like half hour of footage and if you can't show violence then why show Robocop at all?

Reminds me of my favorite MadTV skit.

For those who don't know, PAX TV was a religious family channel back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Reminds me of my favorite MadTV skit.

For those who don't know, PAX TV was a religious family channel back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Eh, Mr. Show did this better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svr6Zl2QgX8

Of course, even they got the idea from Harry Enfield...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4-ViMMlBg
(at least Mr. Show credited Enfield for the joke in the episode credits)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB7iUCX4KQ

Thread relevant, but a dev just revealed there was a super secret code built into the commercial release of Alien Resurrection on PS1 that allows you to boot up pirate discs. Totally unnecessary these days, but a fun little easter egg of the long and distant past.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

GET ON THA CHOPPA!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Tsk tsk, that Predator forgot to put on his helmet.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...ybook-art-team/

By Golden Books
Illustrated by Disney Storybook Art Team
Part of Little Golden Book
Category: Children's Media Tie-In Books | Children's Picture Books

About A Is for Alien: An ABC Book (20th Century Studios)

In space no one can hear you giggle as you read this Little Golden Book featuring the characters from the classic movie Alien!

Follow Ripley and the rest of the Nostromo crew on a space adventure that introduces the alphabet from A to Z. With fun illustrations, this light-hearted reimagining of the iconic movie Alien will delight fans young and old, as well as Little Golden Book collectors throught the universe.

Since 1979, Alien has been an iconic franchise that has thrilled viewers around the world.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Little Golden Book collectors throught the universe.

What the gently caress

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Disney is probably going to retool the Aliens franchise into something like Bubble Guppies or Thomas and Friends. :barf:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

tango alpha delta posted:

Disney is probably going to retool the Aliens franchise into something like Bubble Guppies or Thomas and Friends. :barf:

I was going to spend time making it look a little better, but it was so disturbing looking I decided it was perfect.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Lil Kid: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, Bitey bit Mister Wilsons face off again.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Yes, what is it Annie?

Clarabel, sir, she's Annie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was going to spend time making it look a little better, but it was so disturbing looking I decided it was perfect.

Kill.... me....

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Lmao

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A is for Alien
B is for Bonus Situation
C is for Cornbread

AFewBricksShy posted:

:lol:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xenomrph's new AV, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Lmfao