Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zephyris posted:

edit: i feel compelled to say you should research just how volatile this is. not for the faint of heart or shaky nerves. i dont even think short volatility will blow you up as fast as this can if you over size

God bless you for trading natty. I have traded it half a dozen times and never made money once, even when I tried to invert myself the last time.

Whatever it is that makes that price move I am somehow incapable of understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

its big move in the last week or two was just due to unusually warm weather sitting across most of the US.

https://vxtwitter.com/MikeZaccardi/status/1733224625234977079?s=20

so if you can predict the weather better than goldman’s commodities desk…

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Joink posted:

Yesterday before Fed speaking, I bought calls few strikes otm on Spy, and puts same few strikes otm on Spy. After the rally started, I sold the put contracts for a loss, and will sell the calls at market open today. Anyway is their a name for this strategy, essentially hoping for a direction and not sideways action.

Its called a Strangle and yes it can be profitable but generally requires a really big move, the market makers are aware of this so IV will be much higher before big events like data releases, FOMC, earnings calls etc. meaning that the contracts will be much more expensive to buy then usual. And you have to factor in the IV crush that occurs AFTER the release that will decrease the value of the contracts. One way to play them is to buy them in advance of these events and sell them right before to take advantage of the IV increase. Ive done this before earnings calls on big names like NVDA and TSLA where both the call and the put side end up being profitable just due to the higher IV.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Welcome back F, that was a brutal time after the earnings report

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Welcome back every stock. Just a few more massive pops and I'll be breaking even.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sokani posted:

Welcome back every stock. Just a few more massive pops and I'll be breaking even.

You're begging for a "few more massive pops" when the market is either at ATHs or a stone's throw away?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

SKULL.GIF posted:

You're begging for a "few more massive pops" when the market is either at ATHs or a stone's throw away?

Yeah, should I beg for it to go down?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The RYCEY I got at $1.81 is now worth $3.83. It was at a relative peak in Sept 2021 when I got it (rip) and bottomed out at $0.71 in Sept 2022. It's unlikely to keep growing at this rate, but Bloomberg and Reuters did pump it up half a month ago. It's also still facing various legal issues due to corruption and bribery.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dipwood posted:

The RYCEY I got at $1.81 is now worth $3.83. It was at a relative peak in Sept 2021 when I got it (rip) and bottomed out at $0.71 in Sept 2022. It's unlikely to keep growing at this rate, but Bloomberg and Reuters did pump it up half a month ago. It's also still facing various legal issues due to corruption and bribery.

Nice. I remember it being a value trap for the longest time; someday, the story went, the market for aircraft engines would thrive again.

Guess we’re there now?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The market is being propped up by AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, NVDA, META, MSFT, TSLA accounting for almost all of S&P 500 gains this year. The other 493 are collectively down 3% last I checked. The All Country World 3000 index is also down excluding the magnificent 7

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/HindenburgRes/status/1735743050058437034?s=20

love these guys. $MSS is down 84% today

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...

Agronox posted:

God bless you for trading natty. I have traded it half a dozen times and never made money once, even when I tried to invert myself the last time.

Whatever it is that makes that price move I am somehow incapable of understanding.

So TL;DR:

- DO NOT EVER short KOLD calls above $2.50ish (lol I did ofc)
- You *ideally* want to do ratios from $2.50->$2.25ish
- Sell nakeds OTM until $2.00
- Sell ATM if you dare below that

The reasonably good thing is that if you are willing to roll aggressively, roll yield is hilariously high, but you can be offsides or rolled way out in a hurry. The product is leveraged which helps you, but sometimes the underlying will have negative roll yield which will work against you. The longest period of sub-$2 NG was about ~6 months. TDA demanded about $7-8k per naked short call, so if you don't have a gigantic port or portfolio margin this could keep you from doing other trades as you bag hold for a *while*.

Happy Trading!

Zephyris fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/youwouldntpost/status/1735477765682626781

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did BUD sales recover? I know at one point it was down not only because of the stupid boycott crap but also because they stopped selling in russia or something

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I did that with NKE when the Colin Kapernick kerfuffle happened. Buy calls on short term woke dips.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did BUD sales recover? I know at one point it was down not only because of the stupid boycott crap but also because they stopped selling in russia or something

Kid Rock is apparently back to drinking Bud with the ludicrous statement that “they got the message”

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Without being terminally invested in culture war narratives one might glance at a stock ending the year right around where it started with 10-20% variations in between and shrug their shoulders.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Woodchip posted:

Welcome back F, that was a brutal time after the earnings report

:same:

I wish I'd averaged down a bit but I'm glad F is not giving me as much anxiety now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sokani posted:

Yeah, should I beg for it to go down?

Yes, actually. I think you're a livestock-brained bovine with no exit plan beyond "hold and pray" given that you're not even breaking even despite the market going on a historic 6-week rally of a steepness unmatched in history. You should be praying that the market exhibits sensible price-discovery behavior that would give sustainability to this rally rather than an infinite spiral of speculative greed that, historically, inevitably ends in a colossal crash in valuation.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, actually. I think you're a livestock-brained bovine with no exit plan beyond "hold and pray" given that you're not even breaking even despite the market going on a historic 6-week rally of a steepness unmatched in history. You should be praying that the market exhibits sensible price-discovery behavior that would give sustainability to this rally rather than an infinite spiral of speculative greed that, historically, inevitably ends in a colossal crash in valuation.
Number go up! :mad:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think you're a livestock-brained bovine with no exit plan beyond "hold and pray"

I prefer 'bull-headed'

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone swing trading GOON/NDRA has had a great past few weeks. Up over 63% in the past week and 140% in the past month. Catch the hot potato without getting burned and win a prize!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dang I think my $1600 investment is worth over a hundred dollars again, nice

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'm not losing money, I'm tax loss harvesting

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What news at ~2pm triggered the sell off today?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cacafuego posted:

What news at ~2pm triggered the sell off today?

There doesn't appear to be a reason aside from low volumes leading into Christmas and people taking profits from a series of huge up days. Santa Claus Hangover?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Someone noticed we had almost 2 months straight of green days pushing the entire market up 15-20%?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"sell on Sacagawea day and go away"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Subvisual Haze posted:

Someone noticed we had almost 2 months straight of green days pushing the entire market up 15-20%?

What are you talking about? Stocks only go up

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Some are blaming 0DTE options again. Despite them largely being more institutionally traded now than retail traded.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xgalaxy posted:

Some are blaming 0DTE options again. Despite them largely being more institutionally traded now than retail traded.

That would make it more likely to have a tangible market effect, not less, given retail is comparatively a tiny slice of overall activity.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
No way it was a 0dte thing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Toalpaz posted:

No way it was a 0dte thing

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, it doesn't really matter either way because once the market starts picking up a clear intraday direction the 0DTE starts chasing that direction in heavy volume.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

People were saying it was pretty much perfectly timed to the Treasury auction that happened today

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I imagine the market is 90% automated stop losses and algos chasing their own tails just like the rest of the internet

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

SKULL.GIF posted:

That would make it more likely to have a tangible market effect, not less, given retail is comparatively a tiny slice of overall activity.

Yea. What I meant was that the sentiment was more on the false belief that 0DTE == retail and retail are idiots and therefore 0DTE == bad. So lets blame them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/PelosiTracker_/status/1738220696466247698

Baddog
May 12, 2001

I still don't entirely get this strategy.

I'm assuming she bought a few weeks ago, so if held to expiration or close to it, it will be long term capital gains... And she's getting leverage by buying deep itm calls instead of the stock, but there are other ways leverage up! And this way you have to realize the gain (or loss) next year, you don't have the ability to defer anything.

I guess it's an easy way to gain leverage at the expense of flexibility.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Why would someone buy extremely ITM like that? There's a lot of potential downside and the upside wouldn't be that different from buying shares. Buying at cost would be ~600k-$1m?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I don't see the volume on the option chain this is a lie.

There's only 55 open going into today and 9 traded today so at most 64. 6400 shares of NVDA is only worth 3million.

Is it over several strikes and dates?