Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
When I finally had to switch from my iPhone 7 I went for a 12 mini, because giant phones are an absolute pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

A friend is still rocking a iPhone 6/7/8 (idk, but it has rounded edges and a physical home button).

Coca Koala posted:

drat, respect. I recently switched from an iphone x to a 15 because the battery wouldn’t last longer than a day, it couldn’t run a modern OS and so wasn’t getting updates, and it would regularly just not recognize the cell network, which meant that it couldn’t actually fulfill its function as a phone - I’m amazed your friend’s phone is still working.

Technically speaking a 6/7/8 could probably still be working (it does have 4G/TLE) but it's probably an iPhone SE 2nd or 3rd gen, which have the iPhone 8 shell and 11 / 13 internals.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wow IOS has like 60% market share in the US which compared to like 30% in the rest of the world. America really loves those drat expensive phones.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I miss the days you could cave someone's head in with a cell phone.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mx. posted:

AITA for snapping at my SIL after she kept insulting my husband?

it's different because you were the one who rocked the boat

Alison metaphorically loading a revolver & handing it to OP like she won't use it :lol:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not congratulating my sister on her pregnancy?

holidays must be a blast with these folks

I don't have anything much to add, I just wanted to note that the sentence "In case it matters, I was diagnosed with rear end at age 16" OP added in an edit made me laugh

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Cowslips Warren posted:

You think by now someone would have made an app that would make an Android phone look like an iPhone if they're still such a hot item. I mean, don't they have cases that look kind of similar?

It’s all because of iMessage on iPhone and how if you don’t use iMessage your messages show up as green instead of blue on iMessage.

I also don’t think you can get included in iMessage group chats if you aren’t using iMessage (use an Android).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

Kids are incredibly stupid and status obsessed.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 22, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Phone chat.

I had to upgrade my android phone just recently because my banking apps stopped working because the OS was not supported anymore. I had that phone since 2016ish so I got some good use put of it. I just got a laugh when the people at the Verizon store told me they are not taking it as a trade in because of how old it was.

The new one is something like 30% bigger which isn't as much as a problem as I thought. Makes it easier to type and see poo poo.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Noam Chomsky posted:

It’s all because of iMessage on iPhone and how if you don’t use iMessage your messages show up as green instead of blue on iMessage.

I also don’t think you can get included in iMessage group chats if you aren’t using iMessage (use an Android).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

Kids are incredibly stupid and status obsessed.

How déclassé! How jejune!

Back in my day, we used to mercilessly bully those who lacked the most basic knowledge of the Western literary canon: "You know, À la recherche du temps perdu? Proust? The loving madeleine book? Okay whatever we're done talking."

We thought we were a group of eight-or-so lovable nerds who were obsessed with literature and artsy films and cafés and good grades, but turns out a lot of people at school hated us and thought we were nasty and aloof, just really mean and unpleasant in general. Yep, teens are assholes.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 22, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

How déclassé! How jejune!

Back in my day, we used to mercilessly bully those who lacked the most basic knowledge of the Western literary canon:

drat and I thought I was lame in high school for being into anime

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Johnny Truant posted:

drat and I thought I was lame in high school for being into anime

Japanese comics? How lame! If it's not Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées, then we were no interested! Satrapi and Jodorowsky, heard of them?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

This is not to mention my many, many work one-night stands, including Susanne-whats-her-name at payroll. One time I emailed her and asked "expenses when travelling on business, that's form 17-3 right? Thanks in advance!" She emailed back 15 min later, "Yep!"

exercising my work-droit-du-seigneur over my work-vassals until i get deposed and killed in a work-serf-uprising

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Shanghaied posted:

A couple of years ago, a friend/colleague of mine got an angry email from one of his student's mother, who complained that the written feedback her precious little boy received was hurtful and unhelpful (I've read it and it was nether. I guess it's very slightly harsh?). This guy was in the second or third year of university.

My friend wrote back and apologised for not being able discuss this matter with a third party, due to our school's privacy policies. He wasn't even trying to be smart, he literally wasn't allowed to discuss this with the woman, because she had no legal standing as far as the education of her adult child is concerned. This is between an adult and his university, butt out, lady!

I worked the campus IT Help Desk during my college years, and you would not believe how many parents called asking for their adult child's credentials. We weren't allowed to do that of course (and I was a student worker, I had no access to anyone's personal information or credentials!), and when we told them that it was a privacy/legal matter, they usually got even angrier. Sometimes they'd try to claim that their kid was 17, and since I couldn't verify that (again a student worker!) they'd get even pissier when I told them they'd have to place a written request (via email) with documented proof. And the same thing for their grades, though at least that was through a separate system so I could pass them off to registrar instead.

Helicopter parents are terrible annoyances at best, and abusive at worst. I'm so glad my mom was always chill about my college life and my grandmother got too sick by the end of my second year to helicopter.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I miss the days you could cave someone's head in with a cell phone.

I mean, if you have a solid enough case, you still can. My old roommate had a case that survived a horse stepping on it on the barn floor, completely intact; I'd bet that if she used it to hit someone, she'd at least crack the skull.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

Tremendous boomer energy. You failed to invoke the polite small talk formula correctly, your sentiments are invalid!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling another woman "objectively attractive" in front of my work wife?

Tired: Calling the coworker you're having an affair with your work wife
Wired: Being suspected of having an affair with your coworker by your platonic work wife

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thepopmonster posted:

Technically speaking a 6/7/8 could probably still be working (it does have 4G/TLE) but it's probably an iPhone SE 2nd or 3rd gen, which have the iPhone 8 shell and 11 / 13 internals.

My 8 Plus refuses to die, and it’s been both dropped from the second floor on concrete and left overnight in a snowbank. Front camera’s dead and that’s it, drat thing’s a tank.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The old rear end guru professor in my relatively small major took a required 202 class that would normally fit us all in a lecture hall and broke it up into six sections and taught them all so he could interact with all of us. At the end of the class he scheduled individual meetings where he assessed our fitness for the profession.
Sounds like a good professor.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for using money for my family's Christmas presents on a trip for myself instead?

quote:

I am a single guy with a pretty decent job. I hope to have a family some day but for right now I'm just dating and saving money.

For the last few years I've been using my Christmas bonus to buy my parents, siblings, and siblings cool Christmas gifts. I am lucky enough to be earning much more than I need and I have an excellent nest egg going for when I'm ready. My parents and my siblings aren't there. My folks were immigrants and while they own their home and, as far as I know, are debt free, they do not have a huge retirement account. My older brother and sister each decided independently to start their families while they were quite young in my opinion.

So anyway like I said I have been blowing my bonus on all of them for the last while. I paid for my parents to visit their home country. I bought both of my siblings families a PS5 when they were hard to get. My nephew started university this fall. I got him a new laptop last Christmas as a graduation/Christmas present.

I do not resent spending this money. I love my family. And I do not expect them to reciprocate, I already buy myself whatever I want. However I noticed something this year. It was my thirtieth birthday and none of them did anything for me.

So I asked my girlfriend of she wanted to go to Asia for New Years. She is a student so I am paying for everything. We are seeing our families for Christmas and leaving on Boxing Day.

I got to my parents yesterday afternoon and put my gifts for everyone under the tree. I got everyone a $50 gift card for the movies. There are twelve of them so that's still $600.

My SIL decided to sneak a peak at her gift. She thought I was snubbing her so she told everyone that I got her a poo poo gift.

Huge fight. I just left and went back to my hotel. Calls and texts nonstop. I was being greedy, immature, callous, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I just blocked them. I can spend the next few days as a tourist in my home town and then leave. I told my girlfriend what happened with my family and she has my back.

I think they are acting entitled and taking me for granted. I don't think that they are assholes but I don't think I am either.

remember when the grinch stole all the presents but all the whos in whoville had a merry christmas anyway, because it wasn't about the presents? yeah, neither do these people

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think the polite thing to do would be to give advance warning "hey, I'm scaling back a bit on Christmas to do a big thing for my 30th with my girlfriend" but also, gently caress those people anyhow

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for using money for my family's Christmas presents on a trip for myself instead?

remember when the grinch stole all the presents but all the whos in whoville had a merry christmas anyway, because it wasn't about the presents? yeah, neither do these people

But would the Whos have been so merry if the Grinch replaced the who-whats-its with gift cards instead of just taking them?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Baron Zephyrus posted:

I worked the campus IT Help Desk during my college years, and you would not believe how many parents called asking for their adult child's credentials. We weren't allowed to do that of course (and I was a student worker, I had no access to anyone's personal information or credentials!), and when we told them that it was a privacy/legal matter, they usually got even angrier. Sometimes they'd try to claim that their kid was 17, and since I couldn't verify that (again a student worker!) they'd get even pissier when I told them they'd have to place a written request (via email) with documented proof. And the same thing for their grades, though at least that was through a separate system so I could pass them off to registrar instead.

Helicopter parents are terrible annoyances at best, and abusive at worst. I'm so glad my mom was always chill about my college life and my grandmother got too sick by the end of my second year to helicopter.

There are very good reasons why universities aren't allowed to divulge any information about adult students to their parents. Saying the wrong thing can cause serious trouble, such as in cases where someone offhandedly mentions that someone is with their girl/boyfriend to the extreme displeasure of some hyperconservative/religious parents, which can potentially put them in physical danger (doubly so if accidentally outing someone).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Foo Diddley posted:

OP should fake apologise, "it was a joke, haha, hand over all those stupid gift cards and I'll get your real presents from the car!" Then drive off.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ReelBigLizard posted:

OP should fake apologise, "it was a joke, haha, hand over all those stupid gift cards and I'll get your real presents from the car!" Then drive off.

lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

I think the polite thing to do would be to give advance warning "hey, I'm scaling back a bit on Christmas to do a big thing for my 30th with my girlfriend" but also, gently caress those people anyhow

Yeah a heads up would have been nice, but yeah.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah that guy doesn't owe his family a heads up or anything, fuuuuuck all of them

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So do you lead with that?

I'm putting this whole thing under spoilers because it involves animal death, but hope it doesn't fall under the "no stories about animal abuse" umbrella, but it is a relevant to this topic.

A buddy of mine used to work at an animal shelter and performed the euphenasia there. I have no idea how he ended up with this job since he doesn't have a veterinary background but he did it, and would always tell people about it when they asked about his job. He didn't do it to invoke sympathy, so we're not really sure what what his goal was. Eventually told him maybe to not lead with that, unless his goal was to immediately repulse whomever he was talking to.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah that guy doesn't owe his family a heads up or anything, fuuuuuck all of them

I agree he doesn't owe them a heads up, that's why it would have been nice.

He might have even saved 600 bucks in gift cards if he went through the trouble!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Josef bugman posted:

Way too far back pull quote, I do apologise.

I can do it too. So there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Space Kablooey posted:

I agree he doesn't owe them a heads up, that's why it would have been nice.

This is an actual thing that more people need understand.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean I have two step brothers and a step sister-in-law, if that is such a thing, and stepbrothers' mom and my dad got divorced and got married when we were all adults or at least late teens, So I never really got to know them at all and didn't meet until the first grandbaby was born. So I got to be the cool aunt and just send a gift on his birthday and maybe meet the family for Christmas gift exchange and that was pretty much it. But ever since he had a brother, I've been doing small gifts for everybody. Even if they don't reciprocate. The kids of course get larger presents, but the adults usually get a variation of a blanket, or they each get new winter gloves or something to that extent. So somewhat personalized. But again I don't really know these people. I'm not sure if I should ever give them a heads up if I'm going to stop that either since I don't know if they expect it every year by this point.

AITA for refusing to change LGBTQ elements of my book for my Uncle's book group?

quote:

I published my first book a few weeks ago. It's self-published so I have been reaching out to family and friends for ways to sell it and local ways to get it out there.

My Uncle "Bill" read the book and said he really liked it and wanted me to share it with his book group. This group is mostly 40+ age folks who love sci-fi and fantasy novels, so it fits their demographic perfectly. It's over 50 people with a couple of online book bloggers with some decent following, so I thought it was a huge stroke of luck and a great opportunity.

Then after I agreed and started to plan for a date to go, he said that he wanted me to change some things first. I was reluctant, but he pointed out how I could make a different ebook version for them and possibly other customers and reach a different audience. I'm always open to improving, so I asked what changes he wanted.

Turns out his suggestions all involve removing LGBTQ elements from my book. I didn't think there was much to begin with, but evidently having a lesbian starship pilot, a princess who isn't interested in romance/marriage, and a race of reptilian warriors who could choose their own gender at adolescence was too "gay" for his group.

Putting aside the monumental efforts I have taken to edit my book already, I liked those characters and aspects the way they were and I wasn't interested in changing them just to get my book more exposure.

Bill was pissed. He said that he already told many of his friends in the group about the event and that he would look like a fool if I backed out on him. (I guess canceling events is a big deal for them). I told him that he could either let me present my book the way it was with no changes to the characters, or he could find another author/book to present to his group.

Members of my family have approached me and said that I am overreacting. That my own ego and self-importance for my writing were causing problems for Bill and that changing my book didn't need to be such a big deal. I tried to say that I was open to toning down the violence or the one intimate scene in the book, but they said that one change is no different than the other and I should be open to what Bill wants.

As offended as I am at the prospect, I worry that they might be right. I know authors have a bad reputation for reacting badly to criticism or believing their work is "perfect" and I try hard not to fall into that.

Am I wrong? Am I overreacting to this?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to change LGBTQ elements of my book for my Uncle's book group?

you're missing out on the lucrative "screeching bigot" demographic! you're leaving money on the table!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Lesbian Starship Pilot is a pretty good username.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean I have two step brothers and a step sister-in-law, if that is such a thing, and stepbrothers' mom and my dad got divorced and got married when we were all adults or at least late teens, So I never really got to know them at all and didn't meet until the first grandbaby was born. So I got to be the cool aunt and just send a gift on his birthday and maybe meet the family for Christmas gift exchange and that was pretty much it. But ever since he had a brother, I've been doing small gifts for everybody. Even if they don't reciprocate. The kids of course get larger presents, but the adults usually get a variation of a blanket, or they each get new winter gloves or something to that extent. So somewhat personalized. But again I don't really know these people. I'm not sure if I should ever give them a heads up if I'm going to stop that either since I don't know if they expect it every year by this point.

Managing expectations is one of the biggest reasons to give people a heads-up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lesbian Starship Pilot

#goals

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
OP should add a character named "uncle blib" or something, and a scene where, for some reason, the rest of the cast has to run a train on him so they can escape the sewers beneath the town where the end guy lives

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. There's a really traumatic almost drowning story that I'm totally avoiding because for some reason, even though it's winter time in Phoenix, at least once a week, we still get a report of a kid falling into a pool.

AITA for not wanting to order my own fries?

quote:

Whenever my friend Kevin and I get fast food, I always ask for a couple of his fries. I do this because I know with 100% certainty that he will not finish his fries. I also absolutely do not want more than two french fries. Yes, I'm a freakin' weirdo and probably the only dude who does this..., but I swear that I truly only want a taste.

He absolutely HATES when I ask, so I've stopped doing it. He says I should just order my own small fry, even if I throw almost all of it away.

To me, it makes more sense to eat two of his fries since he always has some leftover rather than both of us getting fries and wasting a ton of food.

AITA?

Edit: Early results confirm that I am indeed the rear end in a top hat. Thanks for the good suggestions. In the future, I'll pay for some of his fries to buy rights to ask for a couple fries in future meals.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

why can't OP take his two fries after his friend is done?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

While this is an rear end in a top hat move, he is even a bigger rear end in a top hat if the way he asks is "Can I borrow some fries?"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Foo Diddley posted:

why can't OP take his two fries after his friend is done?

who the gently caress wants cold fries??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Foo Diddley posted:

I was expecting this to be a solid wall of NTA but the top rated comments are like, ESH and YTA. :psyduck:

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want to believe this is just guerilla marketing for the book given that she's not using a throwaway, but someone being that entitled regarding anything queer is way too real.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 22, 2023