Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Steam Deck Factorio is great. Finally launched my first rocket after a few restarts (after like 5 years of being away from it).

The concept of an "early bot setup" mod (I used nanbots) sounds nice but it lead to me just never getting to making full bots because the nanobots were good enough. This time I did it by hand, and the difference when bots got unlocked was a revelation (the way it should be).

Might do some sort of compromise of hand building only but with a mod that will auto fill in ghosts with the item on your cursor, so it is still annoying enough to have to switch between the different items and paint everything, but at least I don't have to click and rotate each one (this is finicky enough on M+KB but with steam deck controls it is really slow).

Kind of not interested in a megabase try yet, but I don't want to do vanilla again right now. Thinking maybe K2? Is that a series of mods or just one you install? EDIT: Looks like just one but they recommend some others. Why do they recommend armored biters?

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

K2 adds a bunch of expanded turret and ammo options, my guess is you need harder biters to make the player even want to use that stuff.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chin Strap posted:

Might do some sort of compromise of hand building only but with a mod that will auto fill in ghosts with the item on your cursor, so it is still annoying enough to have to switch between the different items and paint everything, but at least I don't have to click and rotate each one (this is finicky enough on M+KB but with steam deck controls it is really slow).?

I'm not sure if you understand the ghost pipette functionality or not, but that plus being smart about the order you build things it makes it a lot easier to drag swathes out.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

I'm not sure if you understand the ghost pipette functionality or not, but that plus being smart about the order you build things it makes it a lot easier to drag swathes out.

I do (I think), it is just the precision you need to click with on the steam deck is annoying. If I had a mod that would only let me place the right thing over ghosts then maybe that would be enough even. So often I get something lined up then slip by one grid row right at the last second.

Edir: Also only let me place over a ghost of the orientation is right.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 19, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

I do (I think), it is just the precision you need to click with on the steam deck is annoying. If I had a mod that would only let me place the right thing over ghosts then maybe that would be enough even. So often I get something lined up then slip by one grid row right at the last second.

I think the Switch version doesn't allow mods, but there are a couple that might work for the Steam deck:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostPlacer
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostPlacerExpress

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

LonsomeSon posted:

K2 adds a bunch of expanded turret and ammo options, my guess is you need harder biters to make the player even want to use that stuff.

Yeah, not to mention if you actually use the air pollution recyclers a bunch, you will stop getting any biter attacks at all by the time you get logistics (eg you can automate the transfer of filters)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I refuse to use Air Filters in K2, if I did my continent-spanning flamethrower walls would have even less work!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a more effective early game biter defense than just "4 turrets next to each other with a wall around, place wherever you think necessary and add more if biters get through"? All encompassing walls without either flamethrower turrets or bots sounds tedious to maintain.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you can tolerate the sight of a long belt then you can make turret border walls for infrequent attacks and expansion groups. Unfortunately yellow belt reloads and 5 clips each will die really fast to extended pollution cloud aggression.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 19, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I always find when I wall the base in I do it too early and too close, and then it's just a pain to remove it and move it outwards. So more recently my strategy has mostly just been point defense, along with internal turrets at high-value locations (my power plant, labs, anything making expensive items). If an attack comes in along an undefended line, I just add a spot of turrets there.

This is also one of the better things I like about laser turrets - you can remote place them as long as you have construction bot coverage, and don't need to worry about logisticing in ammo. Yeah you could also blueprint the belts and inserters, but at that point you might as well just build the all-encompassing wall. Flamethrowers are a nice intermediate, you don't need to place nearly as many pipes as you would belts, don't need to run power (although you'll already have it for the lasers), and the damage supplements lasers very nicely before you get a lot of upgrades.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you’re manually maintaining your perimeter defenses you really need to make the step up to bots. You need to lay it all out once and then it should be able to sort itself out.

I used to build walls too close, so I started building much larger fortifications much farther out, once I get to the point when I’m enacting the Enclosure. Every set of blocking positions gets its own railhead for receiving flamethrower fuel trains, army trains, and construction trains (the last I don’t automate, it’s for the supply train I keep topped up at home and ride around as my personal vehicle).

I’m past 200 hours into a K2/SpaceEx game where I have this system on Nauvis and the one off-planet where there are biters. Zero pollution mitigation, I just had to roll out cannon positions to back up the flamethrower/uranium-magazine/laser turret walls because biter attacks are so big. The whole place is covered by artillery cannons with nuclear shells loaded, supplied by an artillery train. Those positions are mostly several chunks inside the perimeter so the nuke train doesn’t run out to the wall railheads, yet.

On my list of poo poo to do is maybe use the construction train stops to circulate air filters, since there’s a noticeable slowdown if two or more Nauvis positions are aggroing biter swarms at once. But it’s system performance which has weakened me, not the xeno!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 19, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The best defense is a good offense. As soon as I I start getting biter attacks I go out and remove any biter bases touched by pollution.

It's a bit annoying at the start of the game when all you have is the submachinegun, but once you have a couple of military upgrades they're little more than speed bumps.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes, I found out that a tank is quite good. Can drive through forests and nests and spam combat bots which will clean up the mess. Bots will fix your tank and you can just roll on.

I wish I could send packs of hunter seeker drones remotely to targets, so I didn’t have to manually drive around like a peasant though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I wish there was a way to play with ghosts with the game paused. Currently in order to plan something out in the early game I either have to keep dealing with biters while doing it or quit and go to the editor extensions map, mess around with it in peace and then blueprint it.

There is a blueprint lab mod that lets you jump in and out of something like that but it doesn't pause the game while in there, so biter attacks keep continuing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Save, plan as you like, store in blueprint library, load.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

“Biter attacks continue while designing” is precisely the reason I first adopted the technique of simply walling off a big chunk of real estate: my poo poo can idle safely until all the current mines run out.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This base is already very difficult to fit in one screenshot and I haven't even finished setting up yellow science (and not even started on purple).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Xerol posted:

This base is already very difficult to fit in one screenshot and I haven't even finished setting up yellow science (and not even started on purple).

If you want to take big screenshots for a big base then the game has a console command for it: /screenshot [x resolution] [y resolution] [zoom].

You can take 200MB, 15k x 8k screenshots and the like. Just don't img tag them directly into the thread if you do. Google Drive has a reasonable streaming big image viewer for one option.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've spent some time with the switch demo now, and it's astonishing how well it controls compared to what I expected. I also ended up tearing everything down in the second to last tutorial level so I could relearn and rebuild, and it's likely this will keep me occupied until I get back home to my computer after Christmas, which means I don't really need to grab it for switch anyway. Ah well!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This week's FFF is about changes to the functions underpinning terrain generation.

Not that exciting, but I do like the variety on Vulcanus and hope we see more interesting stuff on other planets, and even Nauvis.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I think I have a problem with inefficient space usage and poor train routing, but at least I'm having fun on this last run before expansion time. Even if it turns out I've hosed up quite a few of these satellite factories in terms of what trains can actually supply. Oops.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The teaser at the end with the factory covered in snow is cheeky and really cool.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

KillHour posted:

The teaser at the end with the factory covered in snow is cheeky and really cool.

Combined with what they said about interrupts last week, I wonder if the ice planet is going to have storms where you have to hide everything to protect it or something like that.

It seems like a huge amount of work to generate snow versions of all their sprites, but maybe they are crazy enough to do it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They probably automated it

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Finally finished up Mass Production 3 by letting Factorio run on my Steam Deck next to my work desk. Glad I've got all the achievments now so I can go back to modded games. I did have a terrible idea for a intersection though. Don't think it is possible but maybe one of you smarter people can figure it out.

The idea is the East/West rails are RHD and the North/South ones are LHD. Can't quite get the signalling to work but I only played with it for a few minutes. Is it a useful design, nope. But it looks like it might be amusing to try and get working in a megabase type situation.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

To get the maximum amount of conflict reduction, you'll probably need to space the diagonals out a bit more so you have room for chain signals to break the junction into blocks that don't prevent non-conflicting trains from blocking each other.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

diremonk posted:

Finally finished up Mass Production 3 by letting Factorio run on my Steam Deck next to my work desk. Glad I've got all the achievments now so I can go back to modded games. I did have a terrible idea for a intersection though. Don't think it is possible but maybe one of you smarter people can figure it out.

The idea is the East/West rails are RHD and the North/South ones are LHD. Can't quite get the signalling to work but I only played with it for a few minutes. Is it a useful design, nope. But it looks like it might be amusing to try and get working in a megabase type situation.

This just inspired me: diverging diamond rail intersections using elevated rails. :aaaaa:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

This just inspired me: diverging diamond rail intersections using elevated rails. :aaaaa:

We're bringing back the Quad Branch-Merge

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found this nightmare on Reddit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Arrath posted:

Grade separation is going to allow some absolutely wild designs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The limit on wild designs in TTD was the space constraints and how fast you could align and click individual tiles with the '94 UI

We have bots.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is the best I could do with my standard rail and signal spacing, to remove the opposite-direction conflicts (yellow blocks) you'd need to spread it out even more. I think you'd need to make it less symmetrical because otherwise the crossing turns coming from the LHD side are going to be too close to put signals in.

code:
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

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

For something more of a standard 4-way intersection, I've settled in on this design that fits within one of my city blocks.

The "offramps" for left-turning trains have a segment long enough for a 1-4 to idle, which helps keep the mainlines free when there's a lot of traffic.

https://factorioprints.com/view/-NmHl4xceJaKznJpugtA

Part of me wants to finish up this book and part of me just wants to wait until 2.0 and redesign everything with bridges.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

I thought this looked perfectly fine, until I was looking directly at it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
On one hand, big intersections look awesome, but on the other hand, 4-way intersections are already haram because they have too many conflicting paths. :colbert:
I build my blocks staggered so I can use 3-way intersections only (and then my blocks are also enormous compared to what most people seem to do; I don't really like the conventional city block style, as convenient as it is for copypasting).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheFluff posted:

On one hand, big intersections look awesome, but on the other hand, 4-way intersections are already haram because they have too many conflicting paths. :colbert:
I build my blocks staggered so I can use 3-way intersections only (and then my blocks are also enormous compared to what most people seem to do; I don't really like the conventional city block style, as convenient as it is for copypasting).

This is pretty much what I do, only using 3-way intersections and I've never even tried to do any sort of stampable city-block design, I just build everything kinda randomly.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I pretty much only use the 4-way when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere and there's unlikely to be a lot of traffic going through the intersection, and building two T-junctions would run into another obstacle of some kind. Also since, in my block system, I run rails through the middle of the block, putting two T-junctions next to each other is going to take two entire blocks - which are 128x128 each. The left turn offramps basically turn the whole thing into a quad T-junction anyway, which is a benefit of building in such large blocks.

Ironically I still have difficulty fitting things into blocks of this size and might start a new book with 256x256 blocks.

Duodecimal posted:

I thought this looked perfectly fine, until I was looking directly at it.

I have been playing multiplayer since it was first introduced and I have seen things.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

I beat Krastorio 2. :toot: Yeah it was a lot of hours but I spent a lot of time just messing around and just enjoying my creations and letting buffers build up whenever I made a new thing. Also a lot of time fixing small things here and there. :shepface:

My full base. I tried going for a more modular design for once since I've never really attempted it, to uh, varying success. Didn't try city blocks cause that looks a little boring. My big goals was to use a lot more trains, specifically 1-2-1 trains. By the end I was getting run over every thirty minutes or so since they were all nuclear trains loaded up with engines and tesla charge, which was funny. By the end I was making about roughly 500SPM out of this? When it all was flowing, at least.

One thing I've learned is that LTN can be a massive pain in the rear end if you mess one thing up. For example, despite feeling like I wired everything up properly at one specific plastic drop off, a train would constantly try to go to that drop off as a temporary spot, then sit there and clog up the spot until it timed out to do its normal route.

Overall, I really loved this mod. Things were fresh enough to tickle my brain every step as I thought about new designs. Everything past the rocket launch was especially fun to figure out! Only things that were a pain were dealing with creep(until I got the virus), purple cards using uranium was a bit weird. That entire card was weird enough that coming up with a design was hard. I ended up just gunning to the end eventually since I started going into a production death spiral with some of the later recipes plus me not planning out my oil distribution properly, and fixing them all would probably require going mega base scale.

Now, what to do next? I was thinking either Space Ex, Seablock, or BobAngels with SpaceX/Circuit, so I guess, Seablock without the Seablock part, so I can learn them a bit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

IR3 is usually the most recommended followup to K2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I haven’t tried 3 but I loved Industrial Revolution 1 and 2.

They had some bloat but it was exactly as advertised: there’s levels of Industry you spend some time at, each one has a fresh set of machines and the first few sets aren’t electrically-powered, so you get to figure out running steam lines to every assembler. And then just like in real life you leave them in place well past developing better replacements because you’ve already done all the steam plumbing and it’s all still working.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 23, 2023