Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assure you, I have tried drat near everything. I try to only go down there two or three times a day (oh, and have I mentioned I've got persistent bursitis and tendonitis in my foot since July and I'm currently wearing an orthopedic boot? Cause I do and I am. So it's really annoying for me to make these frequent trips.)

The problem arises that one of two things happen:
1)The other IT tech tells me they only JUST heard about it from the user, who says it's an emergency and they need it now.
or 2) They fully admit they forgot to ask earlier...BUT the user needs it now because they are leaving early for the day and it's important work from home equipment they need.

So I have to still go get off my rear end and get the stuff, because we can't possibly inconvenience any of our users in any way, shape, or form. Never mind the fact that 99% of the time, these are not "user down" scenarios. They are,
"I have mismatched monitors, can I get a newer Dell to replace the older HP so both are Dells?" scenarios.

But again...upper management has told us we, as best we can, have to fulfill these requests from the business users ASAP and then gently remind them that we prefer as much advance notice, and a formal ticket in the online portal request system. But when we make exceptions to the rules every time, there's functionally no rules.

There's really only one other tech who seemingly does try his best to inform me ahead of time and not have every request be ASAP. But he always does so in the most annoying manor.
1) He will walk up and tell me that he is putting in an equipment request for a monitor, for user Generic Person, who sits at Desk 123.
2) He then puts in the request with all the same info he told me. Which, BTW, emails me, appears in my online ticket portal queue, AND SENDS ME A TEAMS MESSAGE. So I really didn't need #1. Or the upcoming #3.
3) He then walks BACK over and tells me he just put the ticket in, and gives me all the details about it again.

And then once he gets the equipment and swaps it out for the user, he then has the broken equipment he has to bring back, and then repeat steps 1-3 for the disposal of the equipment.

Tried reading this post but halfway through my eyes glaze over and I'm consumed by thoughts of death and the sweet release of the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Do managers have it in their programming to always assign a new task that can easily wait on an afternoon before a holiday weekend?

Yes I will scramble to get this thing done immediately that no one will look at or need for a week.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My brother worked at the same medical facility as me with a desk directly next to mine, for a while. One time, he was installing a new PC for a neurologist and the guy was talking down to him in an insulting fashion every time my brother asked him a question about the installation details. He eventually got sick and tired of the dude's attitude and started giving attitude back. The guy ended up saying something like how my brother is a spikey-haired punk who should shut up, my brother finished up, came back, and filed a complaint with management. Even though that dude was a partial owner of the attached clinic at that campus, he was dragged into a sudden meeting with other owners and was told he will not speak to or treat other employees in that fashion ever again. My contractor brother came out on top of a confrontation with one of the place's owners who ended up getting a figurative spanking because of it.

(I always hated working in that guy's office. He was such a self-absorbed prick)

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Do managers have it in their programming to always assign a new task that can easily wait on an afternoon before a holiday weekend?

Yes I will scramble to get this thing done immediately that no one will look at or need for a week.

They’re trying to get *their* work done before the holiday weekend which means assigning you tasks. They’re assholes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Who the gently caress pisses on the toilet flusher handle?! I understand pissing on the seat, pissing on the floor, god help me pissing in the sink, but the handle? It’s higher and further back than anything else, you have to be tall and have a powerful stream, or else straddle the toilet to reach.

I work with monsters.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they pissed all over their hand and then flushed

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The owner feels like this chaos has brought us all closer together as we push through this trial.

Ma'am we haven't spoken in 3 months the only thing this has brought me closer to is blogging.l and taking up smoking again.

Also, we are indeed making more money from the savings account that the early payment discount. It's a not insignificant amount of money. So kudos to them, but also, why would you say that up front so people aren't sowing panic?

goatface posted:

Maybe they pissed all over their hand and then flushed

Pissed into their hand then threw it. Same as the monster that gets poo poo on the wall.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
That's got to take a lot of commitment.

I mean sure "these people are terrible, they deserve to have poo poo all over their wall" is at least understandable in theory, but that's a step 2 to the step 1 of "I will poo poo into my hand now", which... hm.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wait. How do you wipe?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Ravus Ursus posted:

Wait. How do you wipe?

I use the 3 sea shells like a civilized person.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I poo poo in the shells and chuck it at the toilet, counting my score.

In WFH words, I work for a large world-spanning concern(I think that is the English word as well) and since Covid we have had full WfH for everyone who wanted. Offices are there in several locations but optional. Excep now my boss, after pushing relentlessly, have managed to get a forced 2-days in the office for our company only, including me.

His motivation is the old "Water-cooler talk" bullshit except that where I work, no one else from my company work here, only people from other companies in the concern.

I literally just sit in my office chair, sometimes my old(chill) boss shows up since he likes to get into the office together with an old coworker and a support guy.

Every single other person I could possibly actually have a reason to work with directly lives and works literally 3-5 hours away lol.

Yes I am increadibly salty.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, we're back in the office for the magic of "collaboration" too. Nobody else on my team is at my location so I'm still staring at a laptop all day and talking to everyone via Teams. Except now I have to commute two cities over and do it in a cubical for some reason.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
There have been talks about response times on chat as well but if it is that it sucks even more since I am literally always on chat during work hours, and always keeping an eye on it off hours due to the kind of responsibilities I have. :(

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The business tradition of treating the symptom and not the issue remains strong.

How many of your company's would function better if a quarter of the staff was removed. I'm pretty sure we could cull 10 people in this building and we'd actually see increases in productivity and morale.

I mean, it would be for the people we fired, but that's progress.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ravus Ursus posted:

The business tradition of treating the symptom and not the issue remains strong.

How many of your company's would function better if a quarter of the staff was removed. I'm pretty sure we could cull 10 people in this building and we'd actually see increases in productivity and morale.

It’s always like that, and you’re right about nine of them. But one is the only person left who knows what’s going on with exception 7(c) in the mandatory annual audit for [largest client], and nobody doing the culling knows which one of the ten it is.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Got a fairly significant promotion this year, which has been great and the challenges are formidable but manageable.

But I’m now more involved with HR and it feels like this most of the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfz7T3fMH8

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ravus Ursus posted:

We have 10 folks at our office and if we got rid of the one dogfucker driver who is a miserable piece of poo poo then yes our morale would shoot up. One of our techs is happy to go back to being a driver and is the most pleasant, thorough, smart person to deal with dispatching when he does cover driving. Our manager was recently promoted from another role and he doesn't have the heart to tell this waste of oxygen to ship up or ship out so we gotta live with it until he eventually pisses off a huge customer before anything will (maybe) happen

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ever since WFH became an option for everyone 70% of all staff do it. They consolidated and moved people from different buildings closer together to create "neighborhoods" and the only result from my point of view is my cubicle is right next to the EVP office and two other high level people so I can hear all their conversations through the wall we share. Getting some good gossip but I also hear this one goober talking to himself, whistling, and humming all day.

I think the real reason they did it was to save money, but someone told me they can't lease the empty buildings because of security concerns. I'm not sure if that's true because security just sent a reminder to not let the wrong person into buildings because of "new tenants." Not sure if that means we will actually be leasing or if they mean contract staff who used to work at an offsite place they are no longer leasing.

I used to work there, and it was common to get your lunch stolen and people would be fighting in the parking lot so it will be interesting to see how that works out on the big fancy main campus. That place was a completely different environment. I suspect the biggest challenge will be that you could smoke in the parking lot there and main campus is 100% no smoking.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The utility I work for had a poorly received rate case filing with the commerce commission in a quasi regulated state. The executives have been blasting emails about it all week. They are refilling an appeal, and the following bullet point caught my eye.

quote:

[company] pension asset must be recognized and the company should recieve a return on that shareholder-funded asset, consistent with the last 18 years of practice.

New company employees lost access to pensions only maybe 15 years ago. And all the union field workforce still has a pension. So that is a pretty big slush fund. But at the same time, I love how the company just wants to treat it as a fun time asset to play with, and not something that is owed to its ex-employees.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well the government will bail them out or it’ll go bankrupt, either way not their problem.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ravus Ursus posted:

A quarter? No. We did lay off about 8% a year after the big merger. You naturally get redundancies when you merge four orgs into one big one. A lot of those people are good, but we just had too many people in those roles.

Those folks will land on their feet. Then there's the folks impacted by what the HR rep at one of our chapter-wide meetings described as "mindset". That's a pretty vague term to describe part of how we're evaluating people for layoffs. Or so I thought.

Someone posted an anonymous question, "Why should we make the effort to skill up if we might not be around to employ those skills long-term?"

Oh, mindset.

You just know that whoever asked that question, their manager knew exactly who that was.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently before I got to my current job there was a merger in the 90s. It didn't work and recently they started the process to de-merge. I have two email addresses with both domains and half the people I need to talk to are in one system and half in the other. It's dumb.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ravus Ursus posted:

I couldn't tell you because they're so tight fisted about about information being shared, but the corporate card is saved on like a dozen peoples browsers and the passwords for everything used to be stored on an open excel file on the shared drive. Not even hidden, just in the accounting folder and labeled 'passwords'.

Hmmm, yes yes. And what would you say the IP of the shared drive is? Just professionally curious.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Considering until summer our 'server' was a 2tb hard drive attached to a all in one pc that was in the "Internet closet" I'm sure it's poorly secured.

Also, the Internet closet now has an actual server in it. But I'm pretty sure squeezing a 3x3 server into a 4x4 room violates a few health and safety issues.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Was it a Buffalo?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Considering until summer our 'server' was a 2tb hard drive attached to a all in one pc that was in the "Internet closet" I'm sure it's poorly secured.

Also, the Internet closet now has an actual server in it. But I'm pretty sure squeezing a 3x3 server into a 4x4 room violates a few health and safety issues.

Going to remember this the next time my tabletop group give me poo poo about "20x20 dragon in a 30x30 room".

Maybe he was just agoraphobic, Tom? Ever think of that?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Machai posted:

Hmmm, yes yes. And what would you say the IP of the shared drive is? Just professionally curious.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Atopian posted:

Going to remember this the next time my tabletop group give me poo poo about "20x20 dragon in a 30x30 room".

He wants a cozy lair, without being strangled. Put some cushions in there, some piles of gold, it's the perfect bedroom.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atopian posted:

wizards abandon their baby dragons in the sewers all the time, then they grow up and get big

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
They actually get dripped on by the same ooze that gave Daredevil his powers.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

IUG posted:

Oh no.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atopian posted:

What species of dragon evolved into a perfect square?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Outrail posted:

deez nuts

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Themberchaud, the gooniest of dragons

quote:

Massive even for a dragon, Themberchaud was visibly overweight. He had scales as red as lava and bright yellow eyes.[1] His head alone was estimated to be some 20 feet (6.1 meters).[9][note 1] By the late 1490s DR, he was barely able to walk; he was unable to fly, only hop and flap his wings helplessly like a chicken; and he often only belched flammable gas when he could not produce flame.[8][11]

A younger, trimmer Themberchaud in his prime:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Themberchaud, the gooniest of dragons

A younger, trimmer Themberchaud in his prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j07oBogifs

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Draco Chonkus was one of the highlights of that film.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Splicer posted:

Draco Chonkus was one of the highlights of that film.

I continue to sing the praises of that movie as the dramatization of the writers' tabletop campaign. Much Too Fat Dragon is magnificent.

Edit \/\/\/

I spotted that, it was a nice little Easter egg. I also appreciated them bringing out the Gelatinous Cube.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 24, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a good laugh at the callback to the D&D SatAM cartoon.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More hosed up work stories please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

peanut posted:

More hosed up work stories please

Everyone moved on to a good job, there are no more stories