Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The original tweet has a reply of a guy saying "NFTs have value, several have recently sold for 55k." It's money laundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I understand that usage, it's the wild cultists surrounding the corrupt oligarchs that confound me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Enn
Eff
Tee

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Perestroika posted:

To make all that even dumber, at the height of the NFT nonsense there were people arguing for making NFTs of/pointing to actual physical things. And not in the halfway reasonable sense of "this would be an alternative way of notarizing transfers of ownership", but rather whatever the gently caress this is:

Gonna make an insurance company. And when people make claims about their burned down houses or whatever I am just going to give them an NFT picture of their assets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tweet is 100% accurate, if you buy an NFT of a diamond and the original diamond is destroyed, or sold, or anything else, you do have exactly the same asset as you originally did :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well when you think about it matter can't be destroyed. It just takes a different form.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

wesleywillis posted:

Well when you think about it matter can't be destroyed. It just takes a different form.

Yes ashes and smoke is a form. Not really usable or transformable back into a diamond with current technology, but a form nonetheless.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The General posted:

Gonna make an insurance company. And when people make claims about their burned down houses or whatever I am just going to give them an NFT picture of their assets.

This is essentially what insurance companies are already doing. Or is that the joke?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

galagazombie posted:

This is essentially what insurance companies are already doing. Or is that the joke?

I may be old fashioned, but I thought they typically gave you money, assuming your claim went through?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In theory but if you make a claim what you are more likely to get is "drat that sucks"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at least in the US, insurance companies have gotten so good at dodging claims that many contractors now have their own insurance negotiators to get your insurance to pay out. This is not a cottage industry, to be clear, and is not even slightly the exclusive domain of scammers as some would have you believe. This is just how it works now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN SOMEONE FUNGED A TOKEN?!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Language, please.
Someone gently caressed a token. Police are investigating.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Yeah at least in the US, insurance companies have gotten so good at dodging claims that many contractors now have their own insurance negotiators to get your insurance to pay out. This is not a cottage industry, to be clear, and is not even slightly the exclusive domain of scammers as some would have you believe. This is just how it works now.

God bless our beautiful job creators. :patriot:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AlternateAccount posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SOMEONE FUNGED A TOKEN?!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
gently caress your thread title:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, from, a certain point of view it wasn't false advertising...

Weren't those machines bad even when they were first introduced?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In theory that is a nice idea. Get the fastest current computer every two years for $99. But yeah I don't think any Celeron was ever considered top of the line, so not sure how good they were. And if that company lived long enough to even offer the first two year updates.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Celerons have varied greatly in quality over the years, from the enthusiast favorite Pentium 2 based Celeron 300A to the absolute dogshit Pentium 4 Netburst based ones (though tbf everything based on netburst was trash).

I don't think anyone has ever been able to call a celeron future proof.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's not like it needs to be "future-proof" if you're just going to replace it in two years anyway.

Those seem like perfectly fine specs for a computer using windows 98, and it's obviously not meant to be running anything terribly complicated anyway. After all, if you knew what you wanted/needed out of a computer, you wouldn't be buying one of those, would you?

Also yes I'm pretty sure e-machines existed for more than two years.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Collateral Damage posted:

Celerons have varied greatly in quality over the years, from the enthusiast favorite Pentium 2 based Celeron 300A to the absolute dogshit Pentium 4 Netburst based ones (though tbf everything based on netburst was trash).

I don't think anyone has ever been able to call a celeron future proof.

My memories of netburst was that the higher end performed fine enough, it was just hot and overpriced? I got a 2.8 GHz netburst Xeon and a workstation motherboard as payment for some work I did in 2003, and that was a perfectly good gaming desktop for years. I would never have bought it for my own money, but at "nearly free" it was great. :)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
eMachines had an expected lifespan of about 6 months before their weird off spec power supply blew up and they got exchanged for a new machine.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Wiki says they started in '98, lasted until '04 then got acquired by Gateway & eventually Acer bought Gateway in '07. Wonder if the quality changed at all when Gateway got them, I still kinda miss the cow-print boxes (there was a store near me back then & the whole building was done in the cow-print theme)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wiki says they started in '98, lasted until '04 then got acquired by Gateway & eventually Acer bought Gateway in '07. Wonder if the quality changed at all when Gateway got them, I still kinda miss the cow-print boxes (there was a store near me back then & the whole building was done in the cow-print theme)

It’s piebald because they’re from the Silicon Prairie

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

My first job was tech support at a place that was approximately 95% Macs (would've been 100% if my boss had his way). The four-ish people who determined they JUST HAD TO HAVE Windows computers all got eMachines and they sucked to have to do anything to because they were so slow. Weirdly enough, those were the bullet-proof computer that just would never die, no matter how many sacrifices to eSatan we made.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Goddamn I miss Gateway. Whatever happened to having an aesthetic? The cow boxes and all that.

My first "real" (not a vic20, basically) computer was a Gateway 2000 with a p2 233. I remember going to the gateway store, seeing them show off this computer with a monitor that could switch to portrait mode, and thinking "lol who the gently caress would ever want that?"

I miss those cow boxes so much

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

BrainDance posted:

Goddamn I miss Gateway. Whatever happened to having an aesthetic? The cow boxes and all that.

My first "real" (not a vic20, basically) computer was a Gateway 2000 with a p2 233. I remember going to the gateway store, seeing them show off this computer with a monitor that could switch to portrait mode, and thinking "lol who the gently caress would ever want that?"

I miss those cow boxes so much

I remember being amazed when I saw an Acer in a computer store that was black. In a world of beige it stood out in the coolest way.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

In the late 90s I did tech support for a local company. Think Geek Squad, but local. And Acers were the worst. I guess they've gotten better, but they were the bane of my existence at the time. That and AOL.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Celerons are supposed to be a toothbrush for my colon but frankly I find the process quite excruciating.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Celerons are supposed to be a toothbrush for my colon but frankly I find the process quite excruciating.

Lol you want to use the cartridge version, not the square ZIF package

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lol you want to use the cartridge version, not the square ZIF package

:doh: Now how do I go about extracting the - quite frankly deceptively-named - ZIF packages?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:doh: Now how do I go about extracting the - quite frankly deceptively-named - ZIF packages?

A big core dump

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You need the registered version of WinZif

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Rap Game Goku posted:

In the late 90s I did tech support for a local company. Think Geek Squad, but local. And Acers were the worst. I guess they've gotten better, but they were the bane of my existence at the time. That and AOL.

My experience with Acer laptops have been that they're still kind of cheap - sometimes quite fancy, but never convincingly solid. However they do seem way better that they used to be: 15 years ago I would stop people from buying them, but these days they're good enough. Not my personal choice, but they'll do fine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What was really stopping computers in the 90's from being cool colors??

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Not SGI that’s for sure

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Businesses being boring as gently caress and the market for "gaming" PCs not really taking off until the late 90's/mid-00's?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Skip to 2:30 if you're in a hurry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skbgEGEn80

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I seen to remember the Pentium II era celerons were really good value and also generally overclocked with basically no effort to a pretty high clock speed increase.

Like Intel was basically clocking the things lower than they probably needed to because the whole point was to take back the low end market from the other manufacturers while still charging for the high end.

Edit: the 566mhz in that machine is apparently the generation after that. No idea how that architecture went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If i am remembering right, my Celeron was like 75bux cheaper than the equivalent I could turn it into by drawing a tiny line on it with a pencil. Just an absurdly good deal. Maybe not so much for the normal buyer, but upping the speed massively was easy fast cheap and pretty safe.