Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't the original expectation/intent that there'd be a lot of revision, that the Constitution would be a living document? Beyond just constitutional conventions and such, I think I remember reading discussion about making a recurring meeting set every 20 years so people would have a chance to adjust things every generation.

Jefferson was the champion of the idea of re-newing or revising it ever 19-20yr but no one else wanted that.

They thought it'd be too much trouble.

The "living document" part is just that it was open to amendment via votes in Congress and the states which is still true to day. Its just that the vote thresholds are high enough that pulling it off is basically impossible today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Also Common law is supposed to offer quite a bit of deference to judicial interpretation and state decisis, which essentially serves to iron out issues with flowery language or misinterpretation because if a law isn't clear it will either not matter or will wind up in a court case where a judge will offer an interpretation of the law. This will usually involve a fair dose of intelligent common sense and awareness of how the law fits with the whole body of the law. If the result is wrong, it gets over turned by a higher or later court, if it's correct but unacceptable the law is amended.

The whole issue of archaic interpretation would not have been seen as a problem because I doubt the people writing the constitution would have considered that in 200 years there would be wholly novel legal questions that didn't have 2 centuries of legal tradition informing how to interpret the law. The idea that a judge would basically throw all of that out and instead start combing through 18th century dictionaries would probably have seemed insane. The obvious answer would have been that in these cases the correct approach would be to write new laws i.e overwrite the second amendment to put in place a new, individual right to own guns with a clear demarcation of what is and isn't permissible rather than creating bullshit reasoning as to why assault rifles are a-ok but machine guns aren't

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Too bad we're saddled with a legislature both structurally incapable and temperamentally uninterested in legislating.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't the original expectation/intent that there'd be a lot of revision, that the Constitution would be a living document? Beyond just constitutional conventions and such, I think I remember reading discussion about making a recurring meeting set every 20 years so people would have a chance to adjust things every generation.

Instead we get textualism and originalist idiocies and an ossified sanctified document for them to interpret

I'll let you decide who makes the better argument for that:

quote:

former U.S. Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan Jr.’s 1985 speech at Georgetown University made a case for living constitutionalism. Where originalists believe that the meaning of the Constitution is fixed at the time it was written and discernible in the present, living constitutionalists insist that the meaning of the document can evolve in response to changing societal perceptions and demands.

“We look to the history of the time of framing and to the intervening history of interpretation,” Justice Brennan said. “But the ultimate question must be, what do the words of the text mean in our time? For the genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs.”

Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia famously said that the U.S. Constitution is a “dead document.” In a 2008 interview with National Public Radio (NPR), Justice Scalia argued against a living constitution.

“If you somehow adopt a philosophy that the Constitution itself is not static, but rather, it morphs from age to age to say whatever it ought to say—which is probably whatever the people would want it to say—you’ve eliminated the whole purpose of a constitution. And that’s essentially what the ‘living constitution’ leaves you with.”
Personally, I think it was intended to be a living document because the alternative is insane, but in the current reality, it's pretty much a dead a dead document because it's generally not seen desirable or even possible to modify it. This could always change, i guess.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FMguru posted:

I've long suspected that every single person who meets Trump is struck by how profoundly stupid he is in person, and that Trump is a dumb fool who will be easy to manipulate to their benefit ("Surely, I can handle and/or get over on this idiot"), so much so that it overrides their caution and their willingness to look at the track record of literally every single other person who has done business with Trump.

This makes the most sense out of anything I’ve heard about trump

And he is a dumb motherfucker he just is willing to go where other people think “hah, he can’t get out of this one!”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Mich tape is real.

Trump recorded pressuring Wayne County canvassers not to certify 2020 vote

quote:

Then-President Donald Trump personally pressured two Republican members of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers not to sign the certification of the 2020 presidential election, according to recordings reviewed by The Detroit News and revealed publicly for the first time.

On a Nov. 17, 2020, phone call, which also involved Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, Trump told Monica Palmer and William Hartmann, the two GOP Wayne County canvassers, they'd look "terrible" if they signed the documents after they first voted in opposition and then later in the same meeting voted to approve certification of the county’s election results, according to the recordings.

"We've got to fight for our country," said Trump on the recordings, made by a person who was present for the call with Palmer and Hartmann. "We can't let these people take our country away from us."

McDaniel, a Michigan native and the leader of the Republican Party nationally, said at another point in the call, "If you can go home tonight, do not sign it. ... We will get you attorneys."

To which Trump added: "We'll take care of that."

Palmer and Hartmann left the canvassers meeting without signing the official statement of votes for Wayne County, and the following day, they unsuccessfully attempted to rescind their votes in favor of certification, filing legal affidavits claiming they were pressured.

The moves from Palmer, Hartmann and Trump, had they been successful, threatened to throw the statewide certification of Michigan's 2020 election into doubt.

The revelation of the contents of the call with the former president comes as he faces four counts of criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States and its voters of the rightful outcome of the election. Efforts to prevent certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s 154,000-vote victory in Michigan are an integral part of the indictment.

The call involving Trump, McDaniel, Hartmann and Palmer occurred within 30 minutes of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers meeting ending on Nov. 17, 2020, according to records reviewed by The News.

The recordings further demonstrated the direct involvement of Trump, as an incumbent president, with Republican officials in Michigan in a bid to undermine Biden's win and how some details of his efforts had remained secret as he launched a campaign to win back the White House in 2024.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder why Ronna McDaniel (Who everyone forgets is Mitt Romney's neice ) has not been indicted at all for the 2020 stuff?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Svaha posted:

I'll let you decide who makes the better argument for that:

Personally, I think it was intended to be a living document because the alternative is insane, but in the current reality, it's pretty much a dead a dead document because it's generally not seen desirable or even possible to modify it. This could always change, i guess.

That the originalist have set themselves up as some sort of priest that divines the original intent, not based on commonly accepted historical practice but their own genius, of people dead 200 plus years is absolutely insane.

Here is a legacy of interpretation thoroughly vetted at intervals across the centuries of how to apply these concepts to the modern day. No? You’re not going to use that? You’re just going to make poo poo up? On, you looked in a period dictionary? Uh, I didn’t know that was an option…

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

I wonder why Ronna McDaniel (Who everyone forgets is Mitt Romney's neice ) has not been indicted at all for the 2020 stuff?

The most charitable interpretation is that Smith is getting Trump out of the way before going after the sundry.

We’ll see.

Edit: I think we know that there is still at least one DC grand jury issuing requests and subpoenas for financial documents?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 22, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cimber posted:

She should find herself a nice Mitney to marry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

haveblue posted:

The president commands the military but is not himself part of the military and doesn't have a military rank; commander-in-chief is his role but that's not the same thing

Yeah, there is no statutory defense against "the majority of the country wants this to happen" that we could still call democracy. It's a cultural problem at least as much as it is a political problem

Problem being it's not a majority of the country that backs this. Trump voters were 22% of eligible voters in 2016 and he lost the popular vote by over 3 million votes despite winning the electoral college.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cimber posted:

Is there anyone who hasn't hitched their wagon to Trump who hasn't gotten screwed massively? Jesus, Rudy used to be on top of the world, now look how far he's fallen.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Jared Kushner, maybe? He was already rich prior to marrying Ivanka, but is considerably richer now. I think he's done with politics, though whose decision that is (his, Ivanka's, or both) is up for debate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'd probably feel comfortable resting on my laurels too, after bringing peace to the Middle East.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It’s worthy to note the 3 dissenters bailed on the initial jurisdictional questions of whether or not Colorado could adjudicate the federal Constitution so it’s not quite as split on the substance of the case as we might think.

That said the SCOTUS Republican majority rules however the hell they want and will probably make the decision with the least amount of change so I’m guessing they decide not to hear the appeal at all to try to avoid any more media attention on them.

Thanks for bringing this up. It is a persuasive argument in my opinion. Also other posters (whose posts I am too feverish from influenza to comb up) who argued that most of the republican justices are institutionalists (or w/e that term was. Fever, again) and also have a selfish interest in protecting their power so they might vote against Trump.

So yeah, there is some hope. On the other hand, Congress also has a vested interest in protecting their own power, but the republican congresspeople just seem content to handing their power on Trump. On the other hand, Trump can pressure them through the electorate. The justices can't be pressured through that. Iirc only by impeaching them out of the court they could be hosed with.

Sorry for the rambling, but it seems like there are many factors at play here and now I'm wondering if it's a complete toss-up and could go either way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Jared Kushner, maybe? He was already rich prior to marrying Ivanka, but is considerably richer now. I think he's done with politics, though whose decision that is (his, Ivanka's, or both) is up for debate.

To be honest that's more because he's similarly a teflon failure like Trump - look at his tenure of 666 5th Avenue where he just constantly pissed away money until he was bailed out during the Trump administration. And past politics despite him being considered toxic by his former socialites in New York he is solvent thanks to the Saudis. Trump couldn't ruin Kushner because Kushner was already a mini-Trump.

As for Trump's reverse Midas touch I still think back to this video every now and again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpA2jiDTYVY

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

Done with politics you say? That would be interesting if Donald had no one in the WH if he won that was his family.

Perhaps he only wants to stay president long enough to pardon himself then resign.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cimber posted:

Done with politics you say? That would be interesting if Donald had no one in the WH if he won that was his family.

Perhaps he only wants to stay president long enough to pardon himself then resign.

With this pack of grifters "done with politics" can be interpreted as "running away when poo poo gets bad". If big, wet daddy wins I'm sure they'll develop a taste for politics again just in time to be handed a top secret clearance, dozens of patents from China and a cool 2 billy from Saudi Arabia so they can bring peace to the middle east and so on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Followup on that Substack article I shared. A bit more Colorado specific than the last one. The author clerked for Scalia so decent SCOTUS bonafides.

quote:

Is the Supreme Court seriously going to disqualify Trump? (Redux)

Now seems to be a good time to revisit my post from the long-ago era of September, in which I pegged the chances of the Supreme Court disqualifying Trump at 10%. In view of this recent development, I’ll up the odds to 20%—still low, but not that low. 13-seed-beats-a-4-seed low. Totally within the realm of possibility.

https://open.substack.com/pub/adamunikowsky/p/is-the-supreme-court-seriously-going-40f?r=3lifg&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Murgos posted:

The most charitable interpretation is that Smith is getting Trump out of the way before going after the sundry.

Maybe he wanted to get Trump into court and hopefully convicted or at least tarnished to a point that he wouldn't get back into office. Jack Smith's efforts to be fast about this is refreshing after Garland slept on all of it for a year or whatever it was.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

smackfu posted:

Followup on that Substack article I shared. A bit more Colorado specific than the last one. The author clerked for Scalia so decent SCOTUS bonafides.

https://open.substack.com/pub/adamunikowsky/p/is-the-supreme-court-seriously-going-40f?r=3lifg&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

Thanks for this, it is excellent analysis.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wasn't the Supreme Court supposed to make a decision by the 20th of December on something Trump related? Did I miss it or did they just not do it?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wasn't the Supreme Court supposed to make a decision by the 20th of December on something Trump related? Did I miss it or did they just not do it?

No, they had demanded Trump respond on the 20th to Smith's request for expedited hearing and skipping the appeals court. That response was a laugh riot

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 22, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

smackfu posted:

I appreciated his previous article, and I appreciate you linking to this update. Particularly helpful for me is this section;

quote:

Section 3 applies to future presidents (paragraphs 129-43). Section 3 forecloses certain insurrectionists from being a “Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President,” or “holding any office, civil or military, under the United States.” Trump argues that the presidency isn’t an “office … under the United States,” because only officers who are under the President are “under the United States.” So, the argument goes, an insurrectionist can’t be Postmaster General, or Deputy Secretary of Agriculture, or Inspector General of the FCC, because those are all “offices … under the United States.” but it’s OK for him to be President.

This sort of argument makes me wince. This is why people hate lawyers! As the Colorado Supreme Court explains, ordinary people reading the Constitution would think “offices under the United States” refers to people who hold United States offices. This includes the presidency, which the Constitution repeatedly characterizes as an “office.” “Under” refers to the fact that the officer is exercising the authority of the United States, not that the President is the human incarnation of the United States and that all other officials in the executive branch are “under” him. The Colorado Supreme Court also points to other constitutional provisions contemplating that the President occupies an office “under” the United States, such as the Impeachment Clause, which authorizes Congress to impose a “disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States.” Surely that includes the presidency.

The lower court in Colorado bought Trump’s argument on this issue, emphasizing that Section 3 explicitly refers to Senators, Representatives, and Electors, without explicitly referring to the President. Sure, but as the Colorado Supreme Court points out, there’s a reason Senators, Representatives, and Electors are separately listed. Senators and Representatives are not referred to as “officers” in the Constitution (they are referred to as “members” of the Senate and House), while Electors aren’t even arguably officers.

Anyway, I object to interpreting the Constitution based on this sort of inference. “The Constitution was written to be understood by the voters.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U.S. 716, 731 (1931). Voters are entitled to a Constitution that means what it says. The voters shouldn’t be shouldn’t be forced to cleverly infer that “office under the United States” excludes the office of the Presidency because Section 3 addresses the unrelated topic of Senators.

because the 'Trump isn't an officer' argument has been driving me crazy and I'm relieved to see there is solid reasoning available to argue that no such argument holds. Whether it convinces the SCOTUS, well, who can say, but at least it's being persuasively stated.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
Supreme Court is turning down Jack Smith's request to fast-track a hearing on Trump's claims of immunity from federal prosecution. May mean a delay in the trial before Chutkan:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/22/politics/supreme-court-trump-immunity-jack-smith/index.html

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

quote:

“Under” refers to the fact that the officer is exercising the authority of the United States, not that the President is the human incarnation of the United States and that all other officials in the executive branch are “under” him.
Ah, so Trump is not banned from being King or Emperor of the United States?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Supreme Court is turning down Jack Smith's request to fast-track a hearing on Trump's claims of immunity from federal prosecution. May mean a delay in the trial before Chutkan:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/22/politics/supreme-court-trump-immunity-jack-smith/index.html

One of the most amazing things about Trump's relative success is how little courage it often takes to stop him and how few people seem to have any at all. Like, Mike Pence of all people stopped January 6th.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1738282088468746365

Lede for people without Twitter: "All this does is kick things back to the D.C. Circuit, which is already set to hear argument on January 9—and will likely rule soon thereafter."

It'll doubtless end up before the SC after that so there's not much point in wailing and rending garments over this.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
No dissents either. Think they all just said “gently caress off it’s Christmas.”

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1738282088468746365

Lede for people without Twitter: "All this does is kick things back to the D.C. Circuit, which is already set to hear argument on January 9—and will likely rule soon thereafter."

It'll doubtless end up before the SC after that so there's not much point in wailing and rending garments over this.

I'm not so sure it will go to the SC after. It certainly will be appealed to them by one party or the other, but knowing the moral courage of this SC I'd think it very likely that they refuse to grant cert if the DC court overrules Trump's immunity claim.

I'm guessing that by the end of January we'll be back on track for the trial, and Smith is pushing hard to keep the schedule. I'd imagine that this will only delay things for a few weeks at most.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

No dissents either. Think they all just said “gently caress off it’s Christmas.”

Let the appeals court write up the arguments and then deny cert is the cleanest way for them to avoid the dirt.

However, if they do end up in front of SCOTUS I hope smith has the balls to put Ginnie somewhere in there.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah, Thomas is busy stealing all the toys in Whoville.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like, Mike Pence of all people stopped January 6th.

Only after he called Dan Quayle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Presto posted:

Only after he called Dan Quayle.

It should be noted that he called Quayle asking how he could do the ballot coup and when pre-eminent legal scholar Dan Quayle was unable to give him a pathway, he knew there was nothing to be done.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tesseraction posted:

It should be noted that he called Quayle asking how he could do the ballot coup and when pre-eminent legal scholar Dan Quayle was unable to give him a pathway, he knew there was nothing to be done.

Well, I for one am glad Dan Quayle found true purpose in his life, after all those years. Everyone deserves a chance to shine once in their life. Even Dan Quayle.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Gotta say I was not expecting a DDR song jacket to appear in this particular thread

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

single-mode fiber posted:

Gotta say I was not expecting a DDR song jacket to appear in this particular thread

Saving this country will require all types of revolutions.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Tesseraction posted:

That is why he was going to wimp out and let Grassley preside over the count. Up until Jan 5, no one expected Pence to show up and Grassley would throw it back to the states. I took Pence's Marine son to call him a candy rear end for Pence to show up.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Realistically speaking, when do you think the supreme court will decide on that presidential immunity thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

John Yossarian posted:

Realistically speaking, when do you think the supreme court will decide on that presidential immunity thing?

They won't. They are going to take the cowards way out and refuse to grant cert when the DC appeals court denies Trumps claim.