Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

You're just getting dunked on left and right.

well how else are they going to pay someone to patch their servers???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit, I didn't get my notice about the Comcast breach. Thanks thread!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I am a very minor part of a project, I think I put in a single A record into DNS. But I have to be on every single call for this project and I'm actually not sure what its about anymore. Or if I ever knew.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All this AI and nobody has made a bot that listens to your meeting for your name to be mentioned and then presents a summary of the last couple of minutes of discussion.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've seen that Teams can give a summary of the meeting for people who joined a few minutes late so I feel like we're not far off from that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Just a running summary, AI meeting notes would be nice. But I don't really want that to be a real thing because I bet it would lead to meetings being worse somehow , maybe just for myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

I've seen that Teams can give a summary of the meeting for people who joined a few minutes late so I feel like we're not far off from that.

As long as it can interface with a Teams-certified USB peripheral to nudge me awake

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sibling of TB posted:

Just a running summary, AI meeting notes would be nice. But I don't really want that to be a real thing because I bet it would lead to meetings being worse somehow , maybe just for myself.

Meetings are terrible and the ease with which you can hold a meeting and invite people from all over the org when they're Teams/Zoom meetings has only made it worse. While anything that makes that experience better seems like a good thing, it also means we keep doubling down on this terrible model because technology keeps making it just barely tolerable even as it gets worse.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you're going to make a bot that writes meeting summaries, then make it real-time alert anyone talking if they're repeating a point already made or going against a previous decision or trying to take credit for someone else's work.

Edit: And also if someone's straying from the agenda.
Oh wait, there is no agenda.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also have the bot sound an alarm if anyone brings up a topic that's not on the agenda.

edit - drat, beat by an edit

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Man, working on a project for a customer and one of the requirements is that it must all fit on one page (which is impossible, because of how many fields their loving form has), and they hit us with the 'having 3 printed pages isn't economically viable and is a pain for production'

Then set up a loving tablet and send files to it or something?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did they specify the page size

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

xzzy posted:

Also have the bot sound an alarm if anyone brings up a topic that's not on the agenda.

edit - drat, beat by an edit

Now that we have enabled AgendaAlert™, agendas are now required for all meetings! In order to reduce the likelihood of false alerts, you must format your agendas using AAScript, which is a convenient new markup language similar to, but notably distinct from, markdown.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So you're saying that it would put barriers in front of people trying to book meetings?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Thanks Ants posted:

Did they specify the page size

good ole 8.5 x 11 inches

they're just dumb

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

All this AI and nobody has made a bot that listens to your meeting for your name to be mentioned and then presents a summary of the last couple of minutes of discussion.

.... those exist though

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

So you're saying that it would put barriers in front of people trying to book meetings?

You and I both know that they would make the meetings anyway, the agendas would just be indecipherable messes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Che Delilas posted:

You and I both know that they would make the meetings anyway, the agendas would just be indecipherable messes.

"Agenda: TBD"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently I'm a notably good cat herder so as long as I am setting the agrnda meetings take like 15 minutes.

Unless someone derails me by asking about Pokémon or whatever.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

FISHMANPET posted:

I've done this with length email chains or when someone sends IM conversation history instead summarizing it. Unfortunately our internal chatGPT isn't concise or accurate but it's still better than reading the source directly.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Speaking of Teams, our org transitioned to Teams from Skype this week, and I'm... cautiously optimistic? This is a huge improvement software-wise. I just hope it's not going to be used like "hey, your activity indicator isn't green, get back to work".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Speaking of Teams, our org transitioned to Teams from Skype this week, and I'm... cautiously optimistic? This is a huge improvement software-wise. I just hope it's not going to be used like "hey, your activity indicator isn't green, get back to work".

my boss does this, so when i'm working from home and thus expected to always be ~~active~~, I used this little Powershell script to make it look like I am (and also not lock the screen if I dare to go ten steps away to make a cup of tea)

code:
Clear-Host
Echo “Awake!”
$WShell = New-Object -com “Wscript.Shell”
while ($true)
{
$WShell.sendkeys(“{SCROLLLOCK}”)
Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100
$WShell.sendkeys(“{SCROLLLOCK}”)
Start-Sleep -Seconds 240
}

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just schedule full-day meetings with yourself so that you always show as "in a meeting"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just buy a hardware mouse mover. Nothing for your employer to see.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just work for an employer that isn't an insane micromanager

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The Fool posted:

just work for an employer that isn't an insane micromanager

I used to, but he retired and was replaced :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Anything is better than Skype for Business, which wasn't that good before they stopped adding features about five years ago.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo not pissing me off: out of office on, Slack app uninstalled from my phone, email syncing turned off. Off work until January 8 and not gonna think about it unless poo poo is literally burning down and I get a phone call from my boss. I am currently drinking a beer. :toot:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Really appreciate the Android work profile feature. No uninstall required.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teethgrinder posted:

Really appreciate the Android work profile feature. No uninstall required.

I just do it so I'm not tempted to open it when I get bored. I have poor self control. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't know about the work profile feature though, I'll have to look into that.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FISHMANPET posted:

Meetings are terrible and the ease with which you can hold a meeting and invite people from all over the org when they're Teams/Zoom meetings has only made it worse. While anything that makes that experience better seems like a good thing, it also means we keep doubling down on this terrible model because technology keeps making it just barely tolerable even as it gets worse.

I grumble at 7am meetings. I grumble at 9pm meetings. I grumble at the globalization of the workforce and how it has eroded the boundaries of the traditional workday.

But then I remember that I haven’t put pants on since Covid and I am always home when my kids leave for school and am always home when they get home. And the ratio of calls at weird hours to loving off for a few hours in the middle of the day is heavily skewed in my favor so…

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: out of office on, Slack app uninstalled from my phone, email syncing turned off. Off work until January 8 and not gonna think about it unless poo poo is literally burning down and I get a phone call from my boss. I am currently drinking a beer. :toot:

That was me at the beginning of this week. Fired off an email to all the people who'd immediately need to hear it of "I'm not even going to look at my work laptop until Jan 8th unless my cat is sitting on it and being cute, call me if and only if there is a matter of divine import" and promptly logged the gently caress out. Felt good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My new place likes having slack channels for customers so if one of them pings me and I don't reply within seconds I start getting emails and texts wondering about it.

I am not long for this company.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

good ole 8.5 x 11 inches

they're just dumb

Put it all on one page, give them a sample with 4 point font or whatever and then when they say it's unusable tell them that's why you said it needed to be bigger.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I just do it so I'm not tempted to open it when I get bored. I have poor self control. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't know about the work profile feature though, I'll have to look into that.
I'm not sure how it would be set up on your own, but it's something done on the company side using Google Workspace. In that situation it's pretty great, essentially partitioning BYOD phones. Company can delete their data, employee's personal poo poo is never seen by the company. You can still share a photo taken from your personal camera app but have to use the share feature to push it to the work profile.

In our specific example you can also use Android wellness features to disable the work profile off hours, or manually toggle it.

Tangential, an employee on vacation joined a work call on Thursday because he "was bored" and I just mocked him the entire hour trying to get him to go do something, anything but work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People are broken.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd kick them off the call and report them to their manager. If you are their manager, I would issue a (verbal) warning.

You're either working or on vacation. There's no in between.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At a previous job we had to lock some people's accounts and disable their physical access to stop them from trying to work while on vacation.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

I'd kick them off the call and report them to their manager. If you are their manager, I would issue a (verbal) warning.

You're either working or on vacation. There's no in between.

Lol I've been on PTO since 12/16 and my boss keeps texting me asking me where x or y is.

It could have waited until January. It's gonna wait until January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I finished up on Tuesday this week and since Thursday afternoon my work stuff is in a different country to me. They can try contact me for emergencies, but I can't do poo poo from here.

Wait, not "can't". "Won't". They have no need to know that I have a better laptop with me than the one they gave me.