Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

Have you seen those farmers? There's clearly something in that grain the universe wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

checkplease posted:

Also space beer. Motherworlda craft game is weak.

They had Bud until Admiral Noble ordered it all ejected into space.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

No Luck Needed posted:

these go together, the Village was targeted before any bounty hunters were introduced to the story. If the Admiral had said "we want the grain, the vegetables, the livestock, we want it all" that makes more sense, we want "grain" ok dude, here is 10,000 bushels of millet. You didnt say what kind of grain. I can grow Flax in 90 days, maybe faster on a fantasy space moon. Come back for your 10,000 bushels of bird feed.

they don't even need to trick the fascists by giving them bird feed. they could just lie and say there is no grain at all. that would definitely work. why didn't they try that?

better yet if they did change the fascists' motives. it would have made more sense if the fascist leader had said "I want everything" verbatim in the movie. perhaps another character, like the lead, could confirm it by saying "they will want to take everything"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tbh not even joking i would totally buy into them getting the grain bc it makes you super hot and ripped af. that would be badass.

The sickly nazis need the grain to get gains

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

CelticPredator posted:

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

It's...not. At least not to the motherworld. It's important to the village but the baddies are just being dicks and even the rebels don't need it really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that just didn't work for me I guess. I know villains are evil and do bad stuff but it just felt a little like weak. Usually when villians show up to take over a small innocent town it's because they have a resource that is unique to their home, or they need property or something.

It also bugged me that the city miles way didn't seem too bothered by the evil guys showing up, but it's possible I missed something there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Lt. Danger posted:

they don't even need to trick the fascists by giving them bird feed. they could just lie and say there is no grain at all. that would definitely work. why didn't they try that?

better yet if they did change the fascists' motives. it would have made more sense if the fascist leader had said "I want everything" verbatim in the movie. perhaps another character, like the lead, could confirm it by saying "they will want to take everything"

you are correct. The point was to scare the villagers into complying.

the grain problem is a problem of world building. Is this moon part of the Human Empire? Do these people own this land? if they own it, where is the deed registered? is it with the Human Empire? Why would moon farmers not want to help the Human Empire? does the Human Empire not helping moon farmers? is this an illegal moon farm? are moon farmers separatists? are they Human citizens? Why is the Empire bad? How do Moon people know about this bad empire? Why cant the Humans make new robots? Do aliens also make robots?

the movie is interesting but also too shallow

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

they're germanic tribes under rome, my dude.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

No Luck Needed posted:

the grain problem is a problem of world building. Is this moon part of the Human Empire? Do these people own this land? if they own it, where is the deed registered? is it with the Human Empire? Why would moon farmers not want to help the Human Empire? does the Human Empire not helping moon farmers? is this an illegal moon farm? are moon farmers separatists? are they Human citizens? Why is the Empire bad? How do Moon people know about this bad empire? Why cant the Humans make new robots? Do aliens also make robots?

Um did you watch the intro or all times they said they empire came into just kill people and the their stuff? Like 4 different people reflected on this.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

checkplease posted:

grains complaints is the dumbest thing.

You're not thinking tactically enough!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think you need to put too much thought into it. They're a small farming community that can't fight back. Of course the space nazis are going to take everything they have because they can get away with with ease.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

No Luck Needed posted:

:lol: I remember my first beer movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
wasting resources to gently caress with local farming traditions (because the natives weren't growing cash crops, or because it gave them too much economic independence, or because it meant they weren't working in the mines, or even just out of sheer spite) isn't even close to the weirdest or most irrational thing actual colonizing powers did

e: more to the point, none of those questions actually matter. Star Wars doesn't waste screen time on explaining the dynamics of "moisture farming" either, or why Luke personally hates the Empire despite growing up in an evidently sorta bougie family, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 23, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rebel Moon Part 1 friday night discord stream in about an hour. If you plan on joining, please remember to mute your mic lol. Scener link and livestream chat will be in #snack-snyders-slyders channel. :toot:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Found this a lot of fun and love having a new big space sci fi, but like others I want the longer cut for more expanded details and scenes. I think we want to know more about the various fighters as they are just so unique from each other. Like Prince Tarak: where’s he from, why does he not wear a shirt ever? Old robots, a colosseum, glowing swords, goo bag brain vr: definitely want more of those.

I thought most of the action was solid with the last big fight a bit muddled at parts but contained some great moments like the leap or the final fist fight. As for the ending Kai being the true scummy Han Solo is great. Everyone ending back up on farm world thinking the fight is over but still going there is a strange choice, but I guess why not check it out. Everything with talking to Balsarius in the astral world was fantastic. . Looking forward to part 2

A scene I really appreciated is when the “trained” bird then just murders the master when he tries to ride it post Tarak. Death to all oppressors.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I want to know more about Nemesis's hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if its the lens or what but I agree with CP, what I've seen of the film looks greasy or blurry or something

It almost looks like 300? I'm not sure what it is

Technically not but they also have their own agenda and region of space that no one's aware of by the end of the last book Frank actually wrote so they may as well be by that point

They've been around a while before that though

It's quite thematically important to Dune that there's no sapient life that isn't human or originating from humans, and the only known alien life of importance are the sandworms. It's a very particular choice, especially from its era of sci-fi, and one point similar to the Foundation series that Dune was in big part a response and foil to. That humans are alone in the universe, and their problems are of their own making. See also Red Dwarf, (most of) Battletech and Gundam for series that despite being very different in setting and tone, make the same choice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 23, 2023

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Why does Snyder insist on using that horrid technique of making everything on the background blurry? It made Army of the Dead almost unwatchable. Why waste money on sets if you can't actually see them?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He just really likes the insanely warped bokeh that his bespoke lenses create. I don't mind them, and think AotD and Rebel Moon look fine, but I still think he should've stuck to working with Larry Fong as his DP instead lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 23, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

I want to know more about Nemesis's hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gat_(hat)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I mean I want to know more about the hats backstory, its motives, hopes and dreams.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

I was just pointing out what I consider a double standard. I don't think you are a bad person for liking James Gunn. I'm sorry it came out that way. My bad CP.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 23, 2023

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

No Luck Needed posted:

*thinking to myself* drat....this guy watches movies on a whole other level......I can't keep up!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have not watched the movie but I can't help but think of the crazy conspiracy theory "crisis actor" stuff from BvS that actually very realistically mimics IRL stuff that justified Desert Storm etc.

Like, I think there's a level where portraying politics realistically makes a movie look extremely stupid, because real life governments are extremely stupid

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I want to go back to what I think is nonsensical (but I want to stress that for me it's not a big deal). It's not the actions, it's the scale. The world is too empty. The admiral commanding a "world destroying" ship, of this impossibly huge machine that keep whole worlds under their heel, visits a village to ask for grain? And that happens to be same village where there are the most wanted woman in the universe and a farmer that personally knows the leaders of the interplanetary insurrection?
It's movie logic, it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 23, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

I want to go back to what I think is nonsensical (but I want to stress that for me it's not a big deal). It's not the actions, it's the scale. The world is too empty. The admiral commanding a "world destroying" ship, of this impossibly huge machine that keep whole worlds under their heel, visits a village to ask for grain? And that happens to be same village where there are the most wanted woman in the universe and a farmer that personally knows the leaders of the interplanetary insurrection?
It's movie logic, it doesn't really hold to scrutiny.

Again, Star Wars.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Majkol posted:

Again, Star Wars.

Sure. That's why I said that it's not a big deal. But again, let's not pretend that it makes sense.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The trouble is that the things you're worrying about about are made up. Noble commands a ship but he isn't the empire's top guy; his hope is that success on the mission will let him move into politics and he's not even right about that. He's middle management, which is why he's dressed as middle management. We see a flashback with a thousand guys like him. Is it a coincidence that he visits the village where Kora is hiding? Yes, but that's the whole story. And everything about Kora's reaction suggests that this was inevitable at some point because they're an expansionist empire rapidly acquiring territory. The insurrection is roughly 100 people and they lose half their leadership in one battle, they're not an existential threat to the empire. They're just some rebels hanging out on a moon.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I liked the evil middle management guy. Seemed like the only actor who had fun being in this thing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

They're just some rebels hanging out on a moon.

A Rebel Moon, if you will

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

A Rebel Moon, if you will

That would mean 100 people are a moon.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You know what they say, one bad rebel spoils the moon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Like, I think there's a level where portraying politics realistically makes a movie look extremely stupid, because real life governments are extremely stupid

Correct. It doesn't always make for a compelling story. Even if it's horrifically true.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Perhaps, but the complaint was that it harms the movie by being distractingly unbelievable, not by being uninteresting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Know the dangers!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's movie logic, it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

jfc

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I was going to wait for the grown up cut, but i watched it. Worst movie of the year bar none. Why in the gently caress was there so much slowmo?

I have nothing positive to say about it other than Spider-Lady was cool, but i think i saw Darth Maul do that once.
There were so many serial numbers filed off i was beginning to think it was a wind up. The Magnificent Samurai were basically just window dressing, did any of them say anything at all to progress the story?
Charlie Hunnam should be court ordered to stop doing accents.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 24, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol at going on in and watching a movie directed, written, and shot by Zack Synder and complaining about slow mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

checkplease posted:

lol at going on in and watching a movie directed, written, and shot by Zack Synder and complaining about slow mo.

Oh i'm sorry, are there other things i'm not supposed to complain about in a Zack Snyder movie? keep me in the loop.