Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So my mother, who is old, sometimes listens to the radio and now I'm noticing that this one programme there is actually quite awesome (which means I'm also now old. It has finally happened).

Professional pianist dude Rantala chats with people who call in and tell him various stories about Christmas. Then the pianist improvises some solo piano stuff based vaguely on the story. For example one caller was some jovial old geezer from northern Finland talking about how he recently washed his sauna in preparation for Christmas. "You use this [traditional] soap and a sturdy brush for the benches first, then of course the floor needs to be done, quite an ordeal, different shorter brush for that" and so on and so forth. Then Rantala plays some weird as poo poo piano stuff which is awesome even though I don't understand anything about it. Then repeat with next caller

(Programme is available online, probably, at some url similar to this: https://areena.yle.fi/podcastit/ohjelmat/yle-radio-1)

Very Christmasy :tfrxmas:

e: 66 is my resting heart rate as I relax with relaxing improvised christmas tunes and some christmas star pastries and tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got a tub of Roses, Celebrations, and Quality Street.

Roses is the best one.
Celebrations is the worst.
Quality Street is meh.

And thank you for coming to my Tedtalk

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

anyone else find it weird that Nestle don't do a holiday chocolate tub?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quality street is nestle, 1 hours detention to learn your chocolate lore

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

well yeah, but you'd think they'd do one with like munchies and mini lion bars and poo poo in it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Got a tub of Roses, Celebrations, and Quality Street.

Roses is the best one.
Celebrations is the worst.
Quality Street is meh.

And thank you for coming to my Tedtalk

All the tub chocolates are poo poo tier. Ferrero Rafaellos ftw

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rafaello is my mortal weakness.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol

the prime minister: only the top 25% of wage earners make enough money to support a family in the uk, and that's a good thing

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This has moved on from "a dial taht says racism" and into "Homer adding salt and fresh water to a fish tank containing different kinds of marine life"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, i honestly thought back when May introduced the financial requirement in the first place that after a couple of years of torygraph articles about honest hard-working (white) british people who couldn't bring their (white) american/russian/etc. families to the uk that it would get rolled back or modified to be more subtly racist, but i failed to realize that there's a seemingly ever-increasing faction of the tories that go into a blood frenzy whenever they hear the word 'immigrant'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Rafaello is my mortal weakness.
Whereas Rafaello's weakness is imagining Jeremy Corbyn and having a heart attack.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can only assume that Sunak has a bigger humiliation fetish than Truss, because otherwise why is he even still in the job?
He keeps getting clowned on by some of the biggest morons ever elected to public office and his response is to smile and nod and backtrack to say something else he knows at least one group of morons will object to on principle.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he has enough money to pay to have them all killed

just can't do them all at once or it'll arouse suspicion

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

I can only assume that Sunak has a bigger humiliation fetish than Truss, because otherwise why is he even still in the job?
He keeps getting clowned on by some of the biggest morons ever elected to public office and his response is to smile and nod and backtrack to say something else he knows at least one group of morons will object to on principle.

Hes only there to be the conduit for other millionaires and billionaires to get their oar in on any contract or knighthoods they can.
Remember he was in the US talking with their healthcare and insurance corps while Truss was loving things up.
He could be getting poo poo thrown in his face, but he knows hes getting a gravy train carriage the size of Westminster when he goes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, but he'd have got that anyway if he'd just hosed off when the backbenchers started getting antsy.
He used to be filthy rich banker, a few years in Parliament gets even the thickest oval office a contacts list most would kill for; add being Chancellor to all that, and the gravy train pours itself.
All the people looking to siphon money from the UK state can still do that once Suella is PM.

The only thing Rishi is achieving at this point is making himself look more of an idiot with every passing day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Seconding this. Unicorn led to me discovering Lights and a whole host of other artists.

I still hum Lights' Second Go from her debut album to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLRkyGU3cM

As for the Sybreed I mentioned earlier for those who also like slightly heavier music (like Blood for the Blood God on Unicorn) this is the first time I heard dance-style kick drums used for a metal breakdown (it's normal drums the rest of the song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diV3VrxD5ro

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For what it's worth that song was titled "Take the Red Pill" back in 2003-2004 when it wasn't associated with rapists and nazis, although also before we realised it really meant becoming a trans lass.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Fartlow is on her way to Gaza to "document history"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Gonzo Journalism, becoming a part of the story, but she is no Hunter S. Thompson

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

There's a very nice Christian church there, I'm told. She should visit.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

AceClown posted:

well yeah, but you'd think they'd do one with like munchies and mini lion bars and poo poo in it

The latter would be the superior option in such a tub

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

kingturnip posted:

The ruling class do not care what you think of them. The reason you don't understand the choices they make is because they are operating in a world with rules that are fundamentally different to those that you or I know.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1738256334061965328

Sorry kids, the planet has to burn, or the Tories will weaponise it :toot:

And talking of that Keith oval office, check out this:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1738263457143599361

Most of the shadow cabinet have posted similar statements, while obviously forgetting that they greenlit said genocide

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

jaete posted:

Professional pianist dude Rantala chats with people who call in and tell him various stories about Christmas. Then the pianist improvises some solo piano stuff based vaguely on the story.

This sounds lovely, shame there isn't an English language version.

I know he's not a thread favourite, but Richard Osman signed off wishing his viewers a happy Christmas, and for those who find it a difficult time of year, a peaceful one, and I burst into tears.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Richard Osman isn't a bad person in his capacity as a TV host, he just sucks in that he's a comfortable person who doesn't care to actually understand why bad things happen to innocent people, he just understands that's bad.

There's no shame in appreciating his words, as I'm sure they are sincere.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I soured in my reaction to him when he interviewed Frankie Boyle a few years ago and was needlessly agressive and patronising with him for absolutely zero reason.

I think he was trying to do the Paxman thing, but because his face looks like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle it just came off as him being a snide oval office to a thoroughly bemused Boyle.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1738256334061965328

Sorry kids, the planet has to burn, or the Tories will weaponise it :toot:

And talking of that Keith oval office, check out this:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1738263457143599361

Most of the shadow cabinet have posted similar statements, while obviously forgetting that they greenlit said genocide

Absolute fuckin danger, isn't he. 'Oooh we can't do a policy, the Tories might have a go at us for it.' Well yeah, that's what happens in politics, you're supposed to have the gumption and brass to actually defend your position and try to advance it in the public's mind as a good, worthwhile idea.

Also I mean that would have been a great statement on Gaza to make two months ago, not joking if he'd said that or something like it when this started we'd be giving him kudos, however grudging, and he'd probably have won an appreciable number of people over by actually taking a firm stance on something for once in his loving life. As it stands... mate you said it was okay. You're only following public opinion now, not taking any kind of stance.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 23, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody could have predicted it would turn out this way, please ignore all of the people who said that at the start.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I soured in my reaction to him when he interviewed Frankie Boyle a few years ago and was needlessly agressive and patronising with him for absolutely zero reason.

I think he was trying to do the Paxman thing, but because his face looks like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle it just came off as him being a snide oval office to a thoroughly bemused Boyle.

Was that the one from the Edinburgh TV Festival? He was aggressive because he's a TV producer by profession & Frankie was attacking his profession. I mean Boyle was right to, but Osman felt under attack, he's very much part of the establishment. Like, he rightly points out that TV execs treat Oxbridge grads much more generously where as if you have a regional accent & are working class you generally don't get this benefit of the doubt that you know where the line is & are playing with it.

You might not like the joke about Katie Price & her kid, but Boyle is quite thoughtful in explaining his justification for saying it.

Actually Osman is even worse than I remember, Boyle roasts Channel 4 for their garbage documentaries like Benefit Street and Osman tries to argue "they would justify this with the context of the shows before and after", as if that was the same as Boyle arguing that his joke was reasonable within the context of the setup of the bit.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 23, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

Richard Osman

Had to google who he was, guess i'm well out of the loop. :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

TBF Boyle is also a disingenuous oval office who pretends to this day that he wasn't toe-ing the media line on Corbyn being Second Hitler.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Had to google who he was, guess i'm well out of the loop. :shrug:

If you've seen a panel show from England you've encountered his works. He was a behind-the-scenes guy for most of his career, before co-hosting the show Pointless with his Cambridge Uni friend Alexander Armstrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't he have some books out? Remember seeing them when I did the book charts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't he have some books out? Remember seeing them when I did the book charts.

Who doesn't have a book out in that line of work really.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

TBF Boyle is also a disingenuous oval office who pretends to this day that he wasn't toe-ing the media line on Corbyn being Second Hitler.

Nobody you see on TV has your best interest at heart. Even that one that you think is still actually a decent bloke who hasn't let fame get to him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KM Scorchio posted:

Nobody you see on TV has your best interest at heart. Even that one that you think is still actually a decent bloke who hasn't let fame get to him.

Even Toyah?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Who doesn't have a book out in that line of work really.

I had up until today assumed he was an author but apparently he is a television man also.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Yes.

KM Scorchio posted:

I saw me in the background of a shot once :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I saw me in the background of a shot once :(

I stand by my statement.