Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

James Garfield posted:

Nobody said you were obligated to praise a politician every time they do something you want, only that if you never give them credit for doing things you want you shouldn't be surprised that they don't do everything you want.

(but there are simpler answers for why politicians don't do everything you want, like that it's a country of 330 million people and you can't do everything every one of them wants)

The credit you give them is your vote, not praise.

They probably like the praise, but praises aren't votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I don’t really get how I can show appreciation or whatever to a national politician in any way that they will notice on any level, except maybe mass donations with comments about why specifically you’re donating? Like I can post on a message board that I love or hate him but I doubt Biden is a goon.

I mean it's collective action, you can write or call their office. I don't think expecting to personally decide the actions of an official who represents thousands or millions of people is reasonable.

theCalamity posted:

The credit you give them is your vote, not praise.

They probably like the praise, but praises aren't votes.

My understanding is this is a discussion of policy, not how to vote. You can use your vote to express preference for one candidate's policy positions but you can't usually vote on a specific policy issue.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 22, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

James Garfield posted:

I mean it's collective action, you can write or call their office. I don't think expecting to personally decide the actions of an official who represents thousands or millions of people is reasonable.

Right, so if it’s letter writing or whatever then it makes total sense to write a letter when they do something you like, to tell them to keep doing it. Call it praise, positive reinforcement, whatever you want to call it, but that makes sense.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Meatball posted:

Then I hope that preisdent Newsom (or whoever wins) has some good plans because the Republicans can cross out "project 2025" and write in "project 2029" very easily.

They're not going to let a few lost elections stop their "destroy democracy and make us rule America in perpetuity" plan they've been working on since the 1970s.

To overcome that would need a vastly changed USSC to slap that poo poo down, and that's not going to happen without packing the court. Packing the court isn't going to happen until the filibuster is removed. Do you see Senator Chuck Schumer having the courage to go for something like that, assuming the democrats can somehow keep the Senate that long?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm kind of confused here, because your tone here seems like you're disagreeing with Skex, but your actual words appear to be agreeing with them. I get the sense that maybe you misunderstood the context of Slex's post?

As you said, politicians do things they think the voters want, in hopes of earning political support from the voters. But if they do things you like and don't earn any political support for it, then you're unlikely to see any further progress on the things you like.

Personally, I think that is generally an overly simplistic view of politicians, who are human beings with a variety of thoughts and motives and positions. But it's certainly true that refusing to give credit to politicians that do things you want is a good way to ensure that you don't get things you want anymore

You're right, it's an is/ought problem. Obviously politicians are all human beings with their own needs and wants, and you're more likely to get what you want if you appeal to their egos. It really shouldn't be that way, but it is. It's one of the major flaws of representative democracy imho. It can be engineered in such a way that the representatives are essentially elected oligarchs with minimal accountability to the people, and that is in fact what the founding fathers wanted it to be.

Maybe it's the best way to get things done, but the idea of having to praise the president to get him to do good things really rubs me the wrong way. Especially since Biden has proven himself to be a supremely lovely person over the last two months.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think the original poster was very serious about positive reinforcement and was just mad people were negative about a person they like. Not even negative, just saying the action taken was small and not as important as reported.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cimber posted:

To overcome that would need a vastly changed USSC to slap that poo poo down, and that's not going to happen without packing the court. Packing the court isn't going to happen until the filibuster is removed. Do you see Senator Chuck Schumer having the courage to go for something like that, assuming the democrats can somehow keep the Senate that long?

I saw him, past tense, bring a vote against the filibuster. It came up a couple votes short. One of the votes against has left the party and one is leaving the senate, so as usual it's a question of which direction voters care to reward.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think the original poster was very serious about positive reinforcement and was just mad people were negative about a person they like. Not even negative, just saying the action taken was small and not as important as reported.

Or maybe they were just tired of seeing the same handful of posters pop out of the woodwork to do the same Dems Bad dance like clockwork

Or maybe that's just my lurker perspective, OP can speak for himself

edit: no the irony of my avatar is not lost on me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In some actual good news for a change, the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which now has a liberal majority, ordered that new legislative maps need to be drawn for the 2024 election. Wisconsin has been one of the more heavily gerrymandered states thanks to a Republican state legislative majority dating back to the Scott Walker years.

https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/1738300946839474433?s=20

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

predicto posted:

Or maybe they were just tired of seeing the same handful of posters pop out of the woodwork to do the same Dems Bad dance like clockwork

Or maybe that's just my lurker perspective, OP can speak for himself

edit: no the irony of my avatar is not lost on me

Sure, maybe

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

In some actual good news for a change, the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which now has a liberal majority, ordered that new legislative maps need to be drawn for the 2024 election. Wisconsin has been one of the more heavily gerrymandered states thanks to a Republican state legislative majority dating back to the Scott Walker years.

https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/1738300946839474433?s=20

I'm actually surprised they did not impeach that newest justice for *reasons* like they were talking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

I'm actually surprised they did not impeach that newest justice for *reasons* like they were talking.

I guess the election results reminded them that they actually don't have a mandate to govern and are held in power by a patchwork of undemocratic spit and baling wire. Straight up overturning an election for very obviously partisan reasons must have been seen as risking the whole thing unraveling and possibly causing significant internal unrest

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cimber posted:

Apparently they decided against it because of the outcry and etc. it’s it Wisconsin or Michigan where the gop got blown out in 22?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dull Fork posted:

https://apnews.com/article/trump-january-6-justice-department-90b93eeb663ebaf67a2e0bc266390fa0

And let the delaying beg- continue? I guess?

SC says they won't fast track Trumps immunity claim. This is going to get dragged out into the election, I fuckin' swear.

Edit: To make this less of a shitpost, does anyone have any estimates on how long the appeals process before it reaches the SC will take? Is it even possible to have this done before the election now?
I really don't know why I didn't expect this to end with "by a 6-3 vote, the Supreme Court proclaims Trump imperator", because... it's gonna.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I don’t really get how I can show appreciation or whatever to a national politician in any way that they will notice on any level, except maybe mass donations with comments about why specifically you’re donating? Like I can post on a message board that I love or hate him but I doubt Biden is a goon.

Write a letter to his office? Vote for him? Donate to his reelection campaign? Volunteer for his reelection campaign? Tell all your friends and family about the good things Biden is doing on all the issues they care about? Stick a Biden 2024 yard sign in your front yard? There are lots of ways you can support a candidate that does things you like.

If you don't provide actual political support to the candidates who do things you like, then you don't get things that you like anymore. Either because the candidates stop doing those things that don't bring any support, or because they lose the election due to not having enough support.

One of the biggest recurring subjects in this thread in recent weeks is about how polls are showing that people either don't realize the good things Biden has done or don't agree that those things were good. With a response like this, it's no wonder.

Fister Roboto posted:

You're right, it's an is/ought problem. Obviously politicians are all human beings with their own needs and wants, and you're more likely to get what you want if you appeal to their egos. It really shouldn't be that way, but it is. It's one of the major flaws of representative democracy imho. It can be engineered in such a way that the representatives are essentially elected oligarchs with minimal accountability to the people, and that is in fact what the founding fathers wanted it to be.

Maybe it's the best way to get things done, but the idea of having to praise the president to get him to do good things really rubs me the wrong way. Especially since Biden has proven himself to be a supremely lovely person over the last two months.

To the extent that praise is even a factor here, it's not about praising Biden so he can feel good about himself. It's about praising Biden so that other potential voters feel that he's a good candidate they should vote to reelect, as well as letting his staff know that you support the thing he did and that they should do more of it.

If he does thing X for the sake of winning votes, and then his target audience reacts with angry rants about how he shouldn't feel entitled to their votes or political support just because of X, then it's not likely that he's going to continue doing things along the lines of X.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Apparently they decided against it because of the outcry and etc. it’s it Wisconsin or Michigan where the gop got blown out in 22?
It's in Wisconsin.

BTW, what's your take on why the scotus decided to skip ruling on trump's immunity? The christmas season?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

To the extent that praise is even a factor here, it's not about praising Biden so he can feel good about himself. It's about praising Biden so that other potential voters feel that he's a good candidate they should vote to reelect, as well as letting his staff know that you support the thing he did and that they should do more of it.

If he does thing X for the sake of winning votes, and then his target audience reacts with angry rants about how he shouldn't feel entitled to their votes or political support just because of X, then it's not likely that he's going to continue doing things along the lines of X.

On the other hand, you could just as easily assert that if his target audience showers him with praise for every meager scrap he throws at them, then he can get by with just throwing them scraps. Ultimately I don't think this can be a very fruitful conversation, because what goes on in Joe Biden's head is mostly unknowable to us, and it just comes down to a difference in our own personal political philosophies. And mine is: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The idea of praising Joe Biden when he's actively supporting a genocide and actively lying to the public about it constantly is sickening.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I don't think Biden supports genocide, I just think he's too chicken poo poo to tell Israel to stop. He may be thinking that he'll lose the Jewish votes if he says anything, which is really disturbing if you think about it.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think Biden supports genocide, I just think he's too chicken poo poo to tell Israel to stop. He may be thinking that he'll lose the Jewish votes if he says anything, which is really disturbing if you think about it.

He could have just done literally nothing at all and it would have been better for Palestine. A rock with googly eyes glued to it would have been a better and stronger leader over the last few months.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think Biden supports genocide,

You're overestimating him.

quote:

Biden’s comments were offensive, Begin said. Suddenly he [Biden] said: “What did you do in Lebanon? You annihilated what you annihilated.”

I was certain, recounted Begin, that this was a continuation of his attack against us, but Biden continued: “It was great! It had to be done! If attacks were launched from Canada into the United States, everyone here would have said, ‘Attack all the cities of Canada, and we don’t care if all the civilians get killed.’

And then you take everything he's said since October 7, like that without Israel there wouldn't be a safe Jew in the world - an incredible thing to say as the commander in chief of a country with about 7 million Jews. He really is a committed Zionist who believes Israel is a necessary state that must be defended even if it costs unlimited civilian lives.

Joe Biden posted:

I have long said: If Israel didn’t exist, we would have to invent it.

I heavily doubt he is mainly concerned about Jewish votes. Jews are too concentrated in states where he is not vulnerable - New York, California, Illinois, Maryland - or Florida which he is bound to lose. Really PA is the only state where the Jewish vote could make an impact, and there are about as many Muslims as Jews in PA - both 1% of the population.

I think his order of concern probably looks like:

1. Sincere attachment to Israel
2. Concern about AIPAC/Israel lobby money being spent against him and other Democrats
3. Jewish votes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jewish votes DO matter in the house though. I agree with you that he also just genuinely believes in what he's doing, but in general presidents do also care about having a house that can support their agenda.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Was there something I missed or are you referring to Reade? I wouldn’t call that accusation anything close to credible.

Why would it not be credible?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

Jewish votes DO matter in the house though. I agree with you that he also just genuinely believes in what he's doing, but in general presidents do also care about having a house that can support their agenda.

From what I gather loss of Jewish votes were part of why Dems underperformed in New York in 2022, due to pushback against state/city Dems' policies on Jewish schools in NYC.

Not saying that's Biden's primary motivator, but the Jewish vote is not something to comfortably write off.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Why would it not be credible?

Because Joe Biden is the good guy. Even if he held a woman up against a wall and forced his fingers into her vagina against her will, he is the leader of the Democratic Party and we must support him.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If you ever feel like you need to write a post like that to make a point or be funny, just .. don't, ever

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, that is some good advice, Kavros.

Cimber posted:

Its my opinion, but I think Governors are better than Senators due to their having actual executive experience. Newsom is setting himself up for 2028, but thats going to be some serious headwinds if (hopefully) Biden gets reelected.
I agree about governors generally, although it seems like six terms in the Senate helps you pick up some skills to get things done. But compared to a newbie Senator like Obama? Yeah, gimmie the gov.

Governor of California, though? Eh... even leaving aside how Newsom rubs people the wrong way, being the head of a state with so many obvious problems that are constantly hammered on in the national media just makes you way too vulnerable. Ol' Tent City Gavin. poo poo sidewalk Gavin.

But, usually, if the governor isn't from a state that is totemic, it's also harder to nationalize the election and use negative partisanship to whip up your base when you're running against a governor, because they didn't vote on all of Nancy Pelosi's communist bills or whatever.

Right, so if it’s letter writing or whatever then it makes total sense to write a letter when they do something you like, to tell them to keep doing it. Call it praise, positive reinforcement, whatever you want to call it, but that makes sense.
I have to imagine Congressional offices get very little positive feedback these days and if you put in a word of gratitude for a good policy that wasn't getting a lot of attention, perhaps sharing a personal anecdote of how it helped you, it might mean something to somebody.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 23, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Killer robot posted:

From what I gather loss of Jewish votes were part of why Dems underperformed in New York in 2022, due to pushback against state/city Dems' policies on Jewish schools in NYC.

Not saying that's Biden's primary motivator, but the Jewish vote is not something to comfortably write off.

Oh god, I remember that briefly being a scandal, when it was revealed that New York was funding a separate school system for Hasidic students that made kids stupider. I guess nothing's going to be done about that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gripweed posted:

Oh god, I remember that briefly being a scandal, when it was revealed that New York was funding a separate school system for Hasidic students that made kids stupider. I guess nothing's going to be done about that.

For the love of god, has twitter eroded everyone's concept of object permanence? Just because you have not had a story about something cross your feed does not mean nothing happened. At least google it! The state (after dragging its heels) issued a final report in July and passed new inspection and subject requirements; there's ongoing litigation from the schools on the new requirements.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 23, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I've been offering encouragement, validation, and often stern criticism to Pete since high school days

10/10 would recommend

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Uglycat posted:

I've been offering encouragement, validation, and often stern criticism to Pete since high school days

10/10 would recommend

Mate, who is Pete? Has this impacted him materially and made a difference?

Tbh, it does seem to be a divide that some people want to appeal to the better nature's of people earning more money than them and then people who see that they should be considered public servants and the best they should receive is silence.

It's an interesting thought but impossible to test though as there isn't really a control group of politicians.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

Mate, who is Pete? Has this impacted him materially and made a difference?

Tbh, it does seem to be a divide that some people want to appeal to the better nature's of people earning more money than them and then people who see that they should be considered public servants and the best they should receive is silence.

It's an interesting thought but impossible to test though as there isn't really a control group of politicians.

Uglycat has know Pete Buttigieg since they were in school and was a big supporter of him during the primaries on this forum. Often the ones closest to a candidate are the ones that influence them which is a luxury the common people dont have. All we can hope for is the ones with the candidates ears are also listening to us.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Misunderstood posted:

Do you have any examples? I could imagine somebody describing something that I might call "campaigning" as "vote scolding."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-allies-condemn-far-left-calls-cease-fire-israel-hamas-war-americans-remain-pro-israel

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1721965596533801241

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/obama-democrats-left-criticism-915350/

https://nypost.com/2023/12/06/news/white-house-but-not-biden-rips-university-presidents-over-antisemitism/

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/white-house-denounces-repugnant-osama-bin-laden-tiktok-trend/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-12-17/campaign-2024-biden-s-supporters-need-to-start-acting-like-it

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/15/nancy-pelosi-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-481704

quote:

After the members of the Squad became the only four Democrats to vote against an immigration bill backed by Pelosi, she breezily dismissed their opposition. “All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world,” she told The New York Times in an interview, after breezily popping a chocolate treat in her mouth. “But they don’t have any following. They’re four people, and that’s how many votes they got.”

AOC pushed back on Twitter, and her chief of staff, Saikat Chakrabarti, poured gasoline on the fire.

At a private meeting of the Democratic caucus, Pelosi’s tone was scolding. “So, again, you got a complaint? You come and talk to me about it,” she told her troops sternly. “But do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just OK.” She said her agenda was to help children, even when it was hard to do. “Some of you are here to make a beautiful pâté,” she told them, “but we’re making sausage most of the time.”

They will endless criticize and scold anyone to the left and then turn around and claim that you are not allowed to criticize themselves because it helps Republicans. Utter endless hypocrisy. And half their criticism is often over banal controversies ginned up by the right-wing. Republicans can come out and say the the Squad or university student protesters are all baby rapists and the White House will put out a statement saying raping babies is bad and people should stop doing it.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 23, 2023

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Every electoral or legislative failure from the Democratic party is because the left did not give them the support that they are owed. Everything the democrats do is the best thing that is politically possible, and the least you can do is offer them your unconditional support.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Michigan cleaned house of Republican office holders at the state level. Wisconsin is way too gerrymandered to do it but did put in a Dem state SC judge in a special election last year, flipping the majority on the bench from rep to dem, which will hopefully start to undo it because they also have a Dem gov.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 23, 2023

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I had no idea Fetterman owned this much.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

koolkal posted:

[a bunch of random-rear end links]
It looks like you found one thing that is kind of almost vote scolding and then decided to just fill it out with a dozen "mean things the Dems said about the left" links instead.

"Vote scolding" is just a bizarre idea to begin with, and one of those things (like the definition of "electoralism" that means "there are elections") that only really exists as a concept among a very small subset of the online left.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Hmm, realized this while having breakfast. If Trump's removal from the ballot is upheld, what about other people involved in January 6th, such as Josh Hawley.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Cimber posted:

Hmm, realized this while having breakfast. If Trump's removal from the ballot is upheld, what about other people involved in January 6th, such as Josh Hawley.
It was already attempted with MTG through Georgia's process, and it failed (notably not "because she was never convicted of insurrection").

CREW did previously get a county commissioner removed from office in New Mexico

quote:

An eyewitness to Griffin’s behavior testified that Griffin also took on a leadership position within the mob at the Capitol on January 6th. Videos of Griffin’s speeches en route to Washington, DC for the “Stop the Steal“ rally showed Griffin’s willingness to stop, by any means necessary, a Biden presidency. In the days after the attack, Griffin continued to defend the insurrection, boasted about his involvement, and suggested a possible repeat of it in the future. Following a federal indictment for his behavior, he was convicted of breaching and occupying restricted Capitol grounds.

While not "convicted for breaching and occupying", Trump has a much lengthier and more direct involvement than anyone like Hawley, MTG, etc. He also did more to take advantage of the delay, which has been a key determination in the rulings thus far and will almost certainly be the key element should the Supreme Court not reinstate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-allies-condemn-far-left-calls-cease-fire-israel-hamas-war-americans-remain-pro-israel

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1721965596533801241

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/obama-democrats-left-criticism-915350/

https://nypost.com/2023/12/06/news/white-house-but-not-biden-rips-university-presidents-over-antisemitism/

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/white-house-denounces-repugnant-osama-bin-laden-tiktok-trend/

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-12-17/campaign-2024-biden-s-supporters-need-to-start-acting-like-it

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/15/nancy-pelosi-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-481704

They will endless criticize and scold anyone to the left and then turn around and claim that you are not allowed to criticize themselves because it helps Republicans. Utter endless hypocrisy. And half their criticism is often over banal controversies ginned up by the right-wing. Republicans can come out and say the the Squad or university student protesters are all baby rapists and the White House will put out a statement saying raping babies is bad and people should stop doing it.

You've got a bunch of links that don't seem related to the quotes which otherwise go without commentary or explanation. Often from radically different years and contexts. Even in the USSR and Maoist China they would critique their left flank when there's contention, that is what happens in a healthy democracy at a minimum. Like what does the repugnant Osama Bin Laden tiktok trend have to do with establishment dems alledgedly doing vote scolding? What does the University President incident have to do with it? This seems misleading. I also have no idea what context Fetterman is responding to, which might be a lot of the doom and gloom about polls nothing about the left specifically.