Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kind of amazing how bad Jake was at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i think you forgot what a pagonging is

I didn't say it was a strict Pagonging. It was the closest we've had in a while. The dominant alliance that originated on the same tribe was in the minority, but the majority for the most part was not interested in changing things up. Dee was the clear frontrunner since the merge, and most people were satisfied with 6th rather than dismantling her alliance. It made for a boring ending to the season.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Diabetic posted:

I'm watching Season 10 right now having never seen it and drat isn't it the same kind of downer that this was with the one tribe just constantly losing with no hope.

Palau will put you and most of its cast through the ringer but it's got at least one of the absolute best character arcs in the show's history

Also Hot Pursuit loving owns and it should be brought back immediately

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The real question is why they are focused on keeping every 40s season formulated where the twists are not even a surprise to the cast, because it's the same twists and the same time in the game.

Because it's cheaper and they're coasting

mp5 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 23, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Kind of amazing how bad Jake was at the game.

the guy really just wanted to be part of a tie

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

I didn't say it was a strict Pagonging. It was the closest we've had in a while. The dominant alliance that originated on the same tribe was in the minority, but the majority for the most part was not interested in changing things up. Dee was the clear frontrunner since the merge, and most people were satisfied with 6th rather than dismantling her alliance. It made for a boring ending to the season.

Dee wasn't even a clear frontrunner for a while, there was nothing distinctly separating her from the other Rebas until like Final 7. In fact Austin/Drew were in arguably better positions due to idol + having Emily on their side.

It wasn't so much a Pagonging as people just being horrible at sticking together. It's like the Foa Foas in Samoa.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Whenever you think Jake was bad, remember the first few episodes of the season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but Brandon didn’t get into top 3. Although I do want to see him go to at least the merge. The challenges would have been funny. I also don’t understand how so many people come on to the show and don’t know how to swim.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Yea but Brandon didn’t get into top 3. Although I do want to see him go to at least the merge. The challenges would have been funny. I also don’t understand how so many people come on to the show and don’t know how to swim.

The one that gets me is people not learning how to make fire. I guess the odds of needing it are low, but on the off chance you make it that far wouldn’t you want to be able to do it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

It wasn't so much a Pagonging as people just being horrible at sticking together. It's like the Foa Foas in Samoa.

I think it was actually people being really good at sticking together

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Demon_Corsair posted:

The one that gets me is people not learning how to make fire. I guess the odds of needing it are low, but on the off chance you make it that far wouldn’t you want to be able to do it?

Or just to seem less useless at camp maybe

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

cock hero flux posted:

dee was the best player of the season in basically every respect and completely deserved to win if she made it to final 3 but she should not have made it because there was a rock solid plan to get rid of her at 5 which she had absolutely zero knowledge of. It was her big mistake of the season and should have been her downfall, but it just kinda wasn't because everyone except her kept stepping on rakes every time they tried to do anything. To her credit many of those rakes were placed there by her, but the last one absolutely wasn't and was fully self-inflicted. Her survival at 5 required: Jake to tell Austin about the idol when he could have just kept his mouth shut, played it on himself and gotten rid of Dee with no possible opposition. Austin to tell Dee about this instead of just flipping on her to get rid of his biggest jury threat(understandable since Dee had basically hypnotized him by this point, but still). And Katurah to blow up her own plan, on purpose, for no apparent reason.
This isn't wrong that plan relied on an idol in the first place, meaning Dee did have the numbers to make it through to the end anyway.

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m not sure in what world Jake and Katurah weren’t obvious goats. And for Julie, everyone loved Jake and it didn’t quite pan out for him. Julie also had to get bailed out by Dee, which isn’t a great look at FT.
Katurah must have had good social relationships with everyone, but the way you see Julie I think is very much framed by the editing and the outcome of the game. They tell the story from the point of view of it being a Dee leak and big betrayal of Austin, but it was also Julie having a #1 ally loyal enough that they told her what's going on. That's equally a credit to Julie, who (and I've said this a few times) stole an immunity idol and then successfully played it for herself there! That's a way bigger play for Julie than it is for Dee. Then Julie survives the next vote without an idol... Dee herself says she would have brought Julie to F3 and that Julie might have won because the jury loved her.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure she more or less covered it. She was more confident a stray vote was going to go on Julie verses Dee. And her vote on Julie would be more likely to have a tie vote vs maybe only having her vote on Dee and getting voted out.

It's not the most logical, but not actually trusting Jake is believable since Belo was never able to work together on anything the whole season.
Eh, it doesn't really make sense. She said she felt like the vote was coming on her, so I assume that means she thought Dee and Julie were voting for her. Okay, fair enough assumption even if Julie ended up throwing a vote on Jake. So then she switched to Julie because Austin was voting Julie, but that's still only one other vote on Julie, just like there would've been on Dee! The only thing that could explain it is if she thought Jake was possibly voting her, or wasn't voting Dee. But he had an idol, so even if he wasn't playing it on her, he had nothing to be afraid of and no need for a self-preservation Katurah vote, and he had just voted with her the last couple TCs targeting Reba each time. It was a weird call even as a defensive vote.

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m not saying Dee’s wasn’t and that should’ve made a move, or that she didn’t play a good game, I’m saying her competition was not good and entertaining. By ‘it’ I meant the season

I’m not sure how Austin still rolled with Dee after the Drew blindside, when he had basically 3 easy goats and a decent chance at winning final 4 immunity. Maybe he wanted a shield? And then of course Jake and Katurah continuing to fumble.
Yeah I was surprised he did that because I thought it was obvious that Dee and Julie were frontrunners from there, but then he only lost 5-3. And that was with Dee winning the final immunity. If he'd won it or someone else had won it that allowed him to do fire vs Katurah he might win. AND he didn't know Dee had lied about not telling Julie, so things looked more equal to him than they really were, and he still only lost 5-3, so it wasn't as bad of a play as I thought I guess.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Point of order

You can't actually steal an immunity idol. Austin gave it to her and decided not to ask for it back because he thought it would look bad

It was still a boss move to use it like that though

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The 5-3 vote really reminds me of (season 13/Cook Islands spoiler) the Yul vs Ozzy finish. The winner had exceptional dominance over information and gameplay, but the runner-up had enough heart to nearly force a tie. I'm extremely happy that the winner won in both cases, but you never know how the jury will pan out.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hey so for OG watchers out there, I had a midnight thought that bothered me.

It seems like Russell Hantz got all this notoriety for going Back to back FT but what about Amanda? I get she was nowhere near the villain that Russell was for TV, but that always annoyed me.

When I did my rewatched I felt like I had to put the pieces together myself on Amanda meanwhile it’s all the cast and Jeff talked about with Russell

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Crazyweasel posted:

Hey so for OG watchers out there, I had a midnight thought that bothered me.

It seems like Russell Hantz got all this notoriety for going Back to back FT but what about Amanda? I get she was nowhere near the villain that Russell was for TV, but that always annoyed me.

When I did my rewatched I felt like I had to put the pieces together myself on Amanda meanwhile it’s all the cast and Jeff talked about with Russell

They played wildly different games.

Amanda played good social games relying on strong alliances, and knowing when it was time to cut people, but ultimately lost to more charismatic players after floundering both of her final tribal councils.

Russell was brutal and cutthroat, played much more notorious games, betraying and hurting everybody he came across. His social game was absolutely zero, he made everybody hate him, which is why he lost both times.

Ultimately, there was a lot more to talk about with Russell than Amanda. Add that to the fact that Jeff has a major raging boner for dominant men, it's no wonder that just a couple seasons later we got a season themed around two of his all time favorite dominant (losing) men tailored with a weak-minded cast to ensure that one of them would finally win. The only other time where we had a season themed around former cast members, it was again one of those returning dominant men, and Sandra, but in a way where they weren't competing again.

In short, Jeff frequently makes poor choices with the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Re: China/15 and Micronesia/16 since we do have some new watches in the thread

That was mostly what I would have said, but I think Amanda was more numbers-driven than social. Todd beat her fair and square (towards the end of China she literally asks Peih-Gee why she hates her so much) but in Micronesia I think people just liked Parvati more. They played very similar games and Amanda did get votes there. It also doesn't help that she showmanced with Ozzy, who got a lot more attention, and that dominated her game about as much as the black widow alliance.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Amanda seemingly had a problem where she still wanted people to like her after cutting them. She would be friendly, and apologize, and say she felt bad, in a way that people reportedly viewed as insincere; she got blasted for being 'fake'. Todd, Courtney and Parvati on the other hand were all unrepentant about their moves and so not only came across as more genuine, but were also able to take more of the credit for moves they made together with Amanda. For the record, I think the winners of 15/16 both deserved the hell out of it, I just think Amanda would have been deserving either time as well - neither of those winners could have gotten where they did without her help.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well Russell also went back out literally two weeks later so he never even had the chance to physically recover. Amanda had a couple months. Still really a fast turnaround and she has a way better chance of winning than Russell in her two seasons. Just needed the one tweak of not expecting people to feel sympathy for her for the hard votes she made when they’re the ones sitting on the jury and she’s in a finalist chair.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Dee deserved to win, but I feel she won more by default than win because of her gameplay. Everyone outside the Reba 4 and Jake was just there for the experience. Jake would probably have been a decent player on another season where he was paired with other players who also had ambitions of winning. Jake’s problem was that he got laser focused on doing something big and flashy, and never recognizing that no one else was here to play.

Katurah has to be one of the worst players I’ve ever seen, and single handedly dragged this season down. In a season with 2 (arguably 3) quitters it takes a lot to be the worst player, but she managed it somehow. She is an oblivious narcissist, and I hope watching herself on this season of survivor changes her the way playing it did to Emily.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Dee deserved to win, but I feel she won more by default than win because of her gameplay. Everyone outside the Reba 4 and Jake was just there for the experience. Jake would probably have been a decent player on another season where he was paired with other players who also had ambitions of winning. Jake’s problem was that he got laser focused on doing something big and flashy, and never recognizing that no one else was here to play.

Katurah has to be one of the worst players I’ve ever seen, and single handedly dragged this season down. In a season with 2 (arguably 3) quitters it takes a lot to be the worst player, but she managed it somehow. She is an oblivious narcissist, and I hope watching herself on this season of survivor changes her the way playing it did to Emily.

i think ur projecting a little and i say that as someone who wasnt big on katurahs game. dee won because she actively made moves to strengthen and protect her position in this game. she was pretty much only vulnerable for the one vote and jake's first two big plays were moves that could have had catostrophic outcomes. trying to force a tie when you have the disadvantage at rocks is insanity, i'd jump ship too!

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

She is an oblivious narcissist

🙄 can we not do this poo poo?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

UK Survivor finished a week or so ago. Overall I thought it was a great first season. It started very slow but ended up being great TV. The stand out challenges were used (eg Last Gasp), the cast had some great characters, and people got genuinely upset and pissed off about vote outs which has been mostly absent from US Survivor for a while now.

I’ve got my fingers crossed there’s a season 2! In the meantime, I keep getting Instagram ads for a UK version of The Genius. Now that seems like a terrible idea.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TyrantWD posted:

Katurah . . . is an oblivious narcissist, and I hope watching herself on this season of survivor changes her the way playing it did to Emily.

I think you might be forgetting that she talked about having been raised in a cult, isolated from her peers, was arranged to be married at the age of 12 to a much older man (or something like that), and managed to escape and going no contact with her mother. I think she just has major trust issues.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

She had one of the most interesting exit interviews with RHAP this season. I still don't particularly like her or how she played the game, but I feel like I get her a lot better than I did from just watching the show. She talks about how it was often hard for her to remind herself, due to her past, that the consequences of a plan not working would just be 'losing a game', not something worse.

It also seems like the show failed to convey the extent to which she disliked the entire Belo tribe; she was never going to work with those people at the merge. Basically she flipped completely to Reba the moment they were all on one beach, but the show let it seem like she was on the fence instead of playing her old tribe mates.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I mean revealing the entire tribe conspired behind your back specifically to help bruce find an idol probably didn't help any efforts to swing her back

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
II wonder how the game would have played out if they would have started with like Sifu and Katurah swapped.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I can't stand Dee and couldn't throughout the season ( repeating those RW talking points about how hard her parents lives in Cuba were is ugh to me ) but she 100% deserved the win. Good on her.

I've never wanted to scream at the TV watching Survivor before but Katurah got that reaction out of me in the finale. A good season imo!

I hope future players remember that you always break up the showmance!!!

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 27, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My least favourite is when they quash a showmance too early, when it's closer to just two people with chemistry and my favourite is when I like the couple and seeing how far either of them can get with others variously targeting them while also trying to leverage it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just like rooting for power "couples," it doesn't necessarily need romance involved. (spoiled because we have someone going through old seasons now) Dom and Wendell come to mind instantly in that regard. It's really fun when they have a Yin and Yang dynamic where they can each cover for the other's weaknesses with their own strengths as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point, it's the chemistry and synergy between two people who didn't know each other before thrown into this situation that is appealing and romance need not be involved. With the live reunions gone, there's not even the chance to see if a romance continues after or have awkward proposals or weird interactions on stage. I actually wasn't even watching the post game cold pizza chat this time around.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

imagine this latest cast playing in season 2 Australia

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

CODChimera posted:

imagine this latest cast playing in season 2 Australia

I would never separate the iconic survivor duo of Skupin (villain) and the fire that burned him (hero)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Studio posted:

I would never separate the iconic survivor duo of Skupin (villain) and the fire that burned him (hero)

I think they mean Australian Survivor, not US season 2 Australia. Easy mistake.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think they mean Australian Survivor, not US season 2 Australia. Easy mistake.

nah I meant US. There's heavy flooding, they lose their camp and get pretty banged up

I do miss the survival aspects, building shelters, food etc

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

CODChimera posted:

nah I meant US. There's heavy flooding, they lose their camp and get pretty banged up

I do miss the survival aspects, building shelters, food etc

Tbqh they'd probably do fine. There's a certain danger in Survivor that they should like, never return to. Keep the fire active or a castaway/producer gets eaten by wild animals, Caleb "we put the bags too deep," and Katie "a bug bite gave me an infection with a 5% chance to survive" palau are the examples off the top of my head of pushing it too far.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it’s not really what the show is about anymore but they barely have to survive. Should be a little more to it. At least have more performative surviving like fire making challenges. Have a challenge that they have to spear a fish and gut it for immunity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update on the many rad seasons you folks recommended: Thank you! I made a list, then asked my mom, who has been watching this show almost every month since the day I was born. She said I had to watch Rob C's season first thing- Survivor: The Amazon.

If you'd like to read my thoughts, here they are! I now know Rob, the man behind the podcast. It's pretty great how he's basically the same on the show but younger and a bit more misogynist. I actually did not know the outcome thanks to my mom knowing how not to spoil things, and given the renown of RHAP I uh, kinda figured it was a thing started by a millionare. Nope. Major props to Jenna, she snuck in there right at the end like a third gunman on Rob's rear end, who got hit because he couldn't use Matt as his meatshield. When voting for a winner it DID feel like jury was voting 'against' the competition and not 'for' her but forget that, I liked that she played a better version of Matt's coattail-riding strategy. He was a 'yes man' the whole time. She was not. And also wow did the poor guy fumble the jury management, especially at FTC. I bet he could have clinched it if he'd just held back on the amount of ego massaging of OTHERS in his answers. Own your poo poo man. Just goes to show that being personable always mattered on this show even back then. I can see why there's controversy over it but in my opinion Jenna totally deserved the win out of the folks who made it to the finale. Heidi would have won it imo if she'd been there instead. Rob honestly played like a bit of a coward from the way I saw it portrayed, properly scrambling to be on the right side of the vote and blindside people at the expense of his social game. Yet he always had Matt in his pocket so why scramble? I don't know why so many folks kept him, he is a real conniving fella and it would have made more sense NOT to keep someone like that. He was on every alliance and it was wild. So good for him navigating all that! I am glad his podcast took off, it is funny how the show doesn't really reflect him as a guy who would have one.

As for personalities? So many great weirdos. First off I could not believe how randy the dudes all got for the women, they should all be hit with a stick especially the producers for the women bathing montage lol. Especially since they looked cool already from winning so often. The gender sorting was a novel idea back in the day I'm sure, and it came off both earnest and only a little cringeworthy. They all made their own decisions as adults and had fun with the gimmick and it was fun (getting nude in front of millions for cookies :wtc:). It aged well overall and is pretty much what I'd expect on TV today. I've felt Survivor has always captured these environments naturally in accordance with the social experiment thing, except for the race war one holy poo poo. I mean the showrunners let the camp burn down and everything. 2000's TV!

The individual players ruled. Starting off early, Joanna went way too soon. I wanted way more jerks cringing at someone bothering to be religious. Even from a different season I can still recall hearing Sean belt out "I can do all things through Christ, baby!!" in my drat living room as a youngster with the family. Daniel I also feel could have gone far if he'd just tried a little harder. It was aggravating watching him go unanimously because no one cared for him! Christy I just kinda enjoyed the presence of, the debates she inspired- it was nice that she and Jenna made up at FTC over some real petty human stuff that happens to deaf people who aren't on gameshows too. Later on, Dave pitching himself to Deena to join the major alliance when he was on the outs was a good idea and I wish players did it more, instead of relying on immunity to save their lonely selves. The fact it didn't work for him I think is why folks don't try it. Roger was a random dickhead, it might have just been the edit but I still didn't mind him. The show's always had folks that get mad about petty poo poo like using ice wrong. He was entertaining. Goddamn Butch lasting until the finale by using his goofy personality and dance moves and not being such a creep as the others... just cuttin a rug to break up the tension multiple times, it was wonderful.

Sorry Rob but Matthew Von Ertfelda was the highlight of the season for me, a perfect contestant. The edit kept making sure we knew he didnt 'need' the money and the other contestants were mean about it but it's not about that, everyone needs a million dollars. This guy ruled and I would like more seasons with just one or two intelligent eccentrics. He was a totally likeable freak. The editing made him look all spooky but as someone with similarly mixed heritage (him Hong Kong/Noreast, me French Creole/Noreast) I totally get why he speaks the way he does. Half the poo poo I say is unintelligible unless you know me. My sense of humor is personal. I connected with the guy especially at the reunion where he revealed it was all on purpose. He had a real cute moment with his mom that let you know he's clearly being jokingly honest about all the weird stuff and it's a legitimate shame, for gameplay reasons, the tribemates didn't see it. The way everyone reacted to him was great television and it'd be cool if there were more incredibly strange oddly buff men like Matt out there. One of my favorite contestants ever, what do you think of him??

Excellent season and a great way to start the dive into Survivor history. Thanks for the responses to the idea to do this, it made covid way more bearable. The people were interesting, and it was rad to see how little supplies they got compared to recent seasons and how it affected their choices. Their gameplay was rarely loyal and often disloyal as hell and very solid good TV. Wild how they had flat-rear end crocodiles just like hanging out sunbathing next to the challenges. The music also was great? Three folks standing on wooden poles was made into the most epic showdown.

Season 7, Pearl Islands is next! I am excited to meet some legends.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 28, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

I know it’s not really what the show is about anymore but they barely have to survive. Should be a little more to it. At least have more performative surviving like fire making challenges. Have a challenge that they have to spear a fish and gut it for immunity.

I was thinking it would be cool to have everyone make fire at the merge for their buffs. Last person without fire gets cut.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Another Bill posted:

I was thinking it would be cool to have everyone make fire at the merge for their buffs. Last person without fire gets cut.

i am shocked they haven't done this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's funny how Jeff has them tear up camp so often to go to new beaches to reset, but I literally never noticed because they all end up looking the same. Nobody cares to build up a swiss family Robinson beach chateau anymore, we usually just see a little platform and lean-to.