Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Syenite posted:

Tera is a direct buff to volcarona, the best Pokemon, so I'll allow it this time only.

You also got, like, 3 Volcaronas in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Megas are entirely lazy rear end jumbles of garish spikes and ribbons. just entirely without artistic merit or effort.
Z moves besides being mechanically boring suffer from GameFreaks terrible 3D animations and are the equivalent of someone just sliding an animation cell like Poochie going back to his home planet and most of them aren’t even any more visually impressive than normal moves). On top of them being unskippable cutscenes.
A greater percentage of the Gigantomaxes were charming or creative than Megas, but the gameplay mechanic itself was lazy and barely even did anything.
Tera types actually let you get creative, don’t introduce dumb new forms, don’t waste your time, and add a level of strategy beyond just “will he use the nuke now or later?”.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got Pokémon violet and am opening it day after Christmas. Stoked to get back into it!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Megas are entirely lazy rear end jumbles of garish spikes and ribbons. just entirely without artistic merit or effort.
Z moves besides being mechanically boring suffer from GameFreaks terrible 3D animations and are the equivalent of someone just sliding an animation cell like Poochie going back to his home planet and most of them aren’t even any more visually impressive than normal moves). On top of them being unskippable cutscenes.
A greater percentage of the Gigantomaxes were charming or creative than Megas, but the gameplay mechanic itself was lazy and barely even did anything.
Tera types actually let you get creative, don’t introduce dumb new forms, don’t waste your time, and add a level of strategy beyond just “will he use the nuke now or later?”.

New forms are cool dumbass

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

galagazombie posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't what is with this thread but you people really don't have to fight this hard over having the dumbest opinions

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

New forms are cool dumbass

This is exactly the reason why Mega Pokemon are so beloved. Same holds true for evolutions, transformations, alternate forms, gender differences, regional forms, and Gigantamax. People just love seeing new and novel designs for familiar Pokemon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yup. Pokemon is all about getting new forms and that's why it's so freaking cool!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There's like 3 bad megas and the rest are good to Insanely loving Cool and that's a higher good to bad ratio of normal pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And Manectric's goofy lightingbolt mascot looking rear end isn't one of the bad ones.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Megas are also cool (not just 'cause they look sick) but because they introduce new abilities oftentimes that completely change the way the 'mon works. Also, some of those mega Pokédex entires are the epitome of :black101:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I booted up Violet for the first time in a long time because of a friend of mine bought Scarlet after skipping the series for 9 years, and he wanted to take a variety of useful Pokémon along on his adventure. At his request I've been setting him up with a stream of good-quality Pokémon that are either new and interesting or reliable old favorites, along with supplies for making them work well, and he's having a ball.

It was wonderful to hear all his excitement about the game, especially since I got the pleasure of informing him of some earth-shaking quality of life changes since he last touched the series. He used to be deeply involved in competitive play in older generations, so he cares about the finer mechanics of the core Pokémon games. Since Gamefreak used to be so inflexible about many important mechanics, it's a pleasant surprise to him that bad IVs and natures can just be inexpensively corrected, and consumable hold items come back after a battle ends, enabling a lot of strategies that were normally off the table in the single player story campaign – strategies he gets to use now! But when it came time to do the more concrete support for his campaign such as hatching eggs and generating TMs, it felt weird to play it again myself.

The experience of trawling the region for treasure and Pokémon fights feels like it should be joyful, but before too long, Violet always punches me in the face with major problems I can't overlook and interrupts any good vibes. I think the worst is the change to the breeding system. In older generations I used to get into the flow and bike around for hours to complete complex breeding projects, but feeding a Ditto and its partner a ham sandwich and awkwardly standing there for several minutes while waiting for eggs to appear doesn't feel good. I just want to do the minimum and get out.

Well, at long last I finally got some genuine fun out of Paldea. Once my friend is finished with the campaign, he wants try battling with each other with our in-game teams. I have a feeling that my lineup of slackers can't handle the likes of a near-optimized Iron Valiant and Dragapult, but I'll see what happens.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

galagazombie posted:

This is just genuinely not even close to true and I don't know how you got to this take.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

galagazombie posted:

sorry about your brain op

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I want mega beedrill and mega ampharos back. Mega abomasnow was litty too.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lazy, with no artistic merit or effort:

Charming and creative:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Note: gmax machamp is sick, but ultimately just machamp with longer pants and yellow hands

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one thing I know for sure is that whoever designed mega lopunny is not seeing heaven

the actual problem with megas tho is that each one required almost as much work as a brand new Pokémon which contributed to Gen 6 having the lowest amount of new mons out of any generation

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Saagonsa posted:

Lazy, with no artistic merit or effort:

It’s literally just Mawile with some ribbons and a second head. Dodrio changes more.
There are 50 megas and a grand total of ten aren’t just putting some spikes on it or putting a ribbon/Floof on it. And of those one is just “Venusaur with a slightly bigger plant” and another is “Sableye holding a rock”.

I will say though that there’s a big divide between the Gen 8 Gmax’s and the old Gen ones. The later are generally like megas in that there kinda lazy “put thing on Pokémon” or “make thing on Pokémon bigger”. Mega Venusaur and Gmax Venusaur are practically identical. The gen8 lines were actually designed with it in mind though. Though this kinda backfires with guys like Centiskorch cause his GMax is part of the “narrative” of his design in the same way caterpillar>cocoon>butterfly is for early game bugs, but since Gmax is gone and not coming back, Centiskorch is left forever stunted and incomplete in future games.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 23, 2023

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It’s literally just Mawile with some ribbons and a second head. Dodrio changes more.
There are 50 megas and a grand total of ten aren’t just putting some spikes on it or putting a ribbon/Floof on it. And of those one is just “Venusaur with a slightly bigger plant” and another is “Sableye holding a rock”.

I will say though that there’s a big divide between the Gen 8 Gmax’s and the old Gen ones. The later are generally like megas in that there kinda lazy “put thing on Pokémon” or “make thing on Pokémon bigger”. Mega Venusaur and Gmax Venusaur are practically identical. The gen8 lines were actually designed with it in mind though. Though this kinda backfires with guys like Centiskorch cause his GMax is part of the “narrative” of his design in the same way caterpillar>cocoon>butterfly is for early game bugs, but since Gmax is gone and not coming back, Centiskorch is left forever stunted and incomplete in future games.

Ribbons???

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Its hair gets longer and the 2 maws make a twintail instead of a ponytail and its legs and cuffs change to match the eye color. Its a cool form!

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

If Megas aren’t coming back, they should just make Mega Mawile a full new Pokémon.

Same with Mega Altaria, Camerupt, Heracross, Pinsir, Absol, Kangaskhan, Sableye, and Houndoom.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

I didn't know someone could have such an unfortunate brain situation.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh yeah, also forgot to mention. Turns out Varoom of all mons is the best Let's Go! farmer, not only is he ZOOOM, his high speed means he hones in more distant mons so you have to press R a little less.

Also yeah, guess I'll get a Golduck to pair with Breloom for the edge cases like Ghosts and Grass types.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’ve always used Hawlucha for mine. I think there’s a bunch that work great, I’ve heard good things about Vikavolt for example(that little bug can really zoooom, despite being slow as gently caress in actual battle).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
FYI Seadra also have the ability Damp and I’ve been using a lvl 100 one with the weakest water move to farm and catch for shiny Minior.

Also why is it you only find the Teensy/Jumbo marks on shinies you weren’t intending to get. I always use the wrong ball too because I was planning to reset :negative:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Desperate Character posted:

FYI Seadra also have the ability Damp and I’ve been using a lvl 100 one with the weakest water move to farm and catch for shiny Minior.

Also why is it you only find the Teensy/Jumbo marks on shinies you weren’t intending to get. I always use the wrong ball too because I was planning to reset :negative:

From what I've read Golduck can learn Skill Swap and solve that issue.

I could see mons like Minior being a problem though, what with the unswappable abilities. Do wild mons use Explosion against Ghosts that have not just switched in?

Edit:what the heck, just finished a Delibird outbreak (mats cap at 999 btw) and i find a shiny Mudbray, i have shiny charm but i've never been so lucky jesus

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 23, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pokemon Special/Adventures Scarlet looks cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pokemon Special/Adventures Scarlet looks cool.

Anybody started translating that yet?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Scholtz posted:

Singles? Stupidest competitive mode in the game.

Doubles? Somehow, twice as dumb.

The real competitor's dueling format is... Hitmonchan Rock, Paper, Scissors!

https://twitter.com/SoulSurVGC/status/1738225333919486030

https://i.imgur.com/75DwZiu.mp4

Upper Hand beats Mach Punch, Mach Punch beats Focus Punch, Focus Punch beats Upper Hand.

lol i love this

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Gonna be a crazy pokemon xmas here. Have scarlet under the tree and we decided my seven year old is ready for his first solo adventure so set him up with my old 3ds and Sun cart last night. (Mainly in an attempt to get him to stop constantly begging to take the controller during our legends arceus playtime over the last week)

He definitely went to bed last night, but Im not sure how early he woke up beyond knowing it was prior to 6:10 when he came barreling into my room to let me know he caught a slowbro.

Such a proud dad right now.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

He definitely went to bed last night, but Im not sure how early he woke up beyond knowing it was prior to 6:10 when he came barreling into my room to let me know he caught a slowbro.

:3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Anybody started translating that yet?

Not on the usual sites just yet, but there's a... passable translation of the first two chapters lurking on Google Drive and they're working on the next two

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm probably gifting some of the Shiny Delibirds I've gotten on Christmas with some nice items just for the Christmas cheer.

i'm keeping the dawn mark one tho

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

galagazombie posted:

No they weren't. I'm sorry there's not a single G-max that doesn't like dogshit because of the hilariously terrible decisions to have red shading on every single part of it regardless of its actual color palette.

Mega Sableeye alone is cooler than every 'good' Gmax form. And Mega Sableye is mid tier design for Megas.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The awful opinions don’t stop coming

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
G-Max was the worst gimmick solely because several gen 8 pokémon were designed after having access to it. Indigo Disk gave Duraludon and Applin new evos with better designs, but the rest are still in the lurch.

Less so for mega-evolution, but there are still some good designs/type combos that have been left in the lurch.

Terastalizing is the best exactly because it is universal. Dunno what is going to happen to Terapagos in future gens, but its intermediate form is still gonna function and it's okay to have a legendary lose its gimmick access.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

megas are the only good gimmick, teras are second best i guess

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think most Pokémon should have access to a gimmick, though it’s moderately less offensive when only a couple do as in the case of Ogerpon’s and Terapagos’s Terastal Forms.

Megas were cool design-wise and had interesting lore and stuff, but they were a mix of “this guy needs a boost” and “this guy’s popular” that never quite cohered and there were only what, 60 or so? so in hindsight they became kind of overly centralizing I think.

Dynamax and Z-Moves are alike in that there were certainly special ones for special Pokémon—Gigantamax and species-specific Z-Moves respectively—but everyone had some form of it, which means you didn’t need a Gigantamax Pokémon on your team.

I think Terastalization fits that updated philosophy really well and it provides some interesting counterplay possibilities. the real issue would be if Air Balloon Electric Tera Shedinja were playable, but due to the way Pokémon are moved in and out of availability that problem resolved itself.

in conclusion, Gimmicks Are A Land Of Contrasts

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The next gimmick should be one that makes Ledian and Seaking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The next gimmick should be one that makes Ledian and Seaking good.

Just give them a new evolution imo.