Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
The fire umbrella is meant as a free hits thing, when you're low on emblems you can just run away and then grappling hook back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zwingley posted:

The fire umbrella is meant as a free hits thing, when you're low on emblems you can just run away and then grappling hook back in

I can’t deal with the fireballs he throws they hit me 100% of the time so I d been umbrella’ing them too

41 tries. From 350 to 170 emblems. I’ve gotten to third phase a few times and died almost immediately. I’m gonna run out of emblems.

Finished him on attempt 47. I never want to do that again. Not a second of it was enjoyable.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 22, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
If you sprint immediately and directly at his leading leg when he goes to throw a volley of them at you they should go right over your head

Hesitation is defeat

E: congrats! For the record I've enjoyed him more on every run of the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zwingley posted:

E: congrats! For the record I've enjoyed him more on every run of the game

this is how i feel about every boss in the game except Blazing Bull and Divine Dragon, who get worse every time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is how i feel about every boss in the game except Blazing Bull and Divine Dragon, who get worse every time

Funny, when I stumbled upon Sakura Bull, I swear it was giving me issues and knocked off a resurrection. When I came back to do it 'right' a week later, I didn't get hit once. It's such a whiplash that I'm doubting myself - does the bull even do damage, was it a joke enemy that I initially psyked myself out of? Similar to the lightning kickballer who guarded the pond, who only has a miniboss icon so he wouldn't respawn.

When I get time to play the game again after Xmas, is it safe to finish the DD fight, as I've unlocked Dad, and have gotten some frozen tears. Is that enough side-questing done?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serephina posted:

Funny, when I stumbled upon Sakura Bull, I swear it was giving me issues and knocked off a resurrection. When I came back to do it 'right' a week later, I didn't get hit once. It's such a whiplash that I'm doubting myself - does the bull even do damage, was it a joke enemy that I initially psyked myself out of? Similar to the lightning kickballer who guarded the pond, who only has a miniboss icon so he wouldn't respawn.

It's not about difficulty, the worst Fromsoft bosses are often the ones who are pushovers. See also: every single version of Storm Ruler.

Divine Dragon is Sekiro's worst boss because unlike every single other boss in the game (even Bull, technically) there is literally nothing you can do except wait for it to do its thing, and then react to it. Sekiro's entire pitch is that it's Dark Souls except instead of tank-and-spank being the default game plan, the player gets to set the pace. Divine Dragon is a betrayal of that promise. It is a glorified QTE and I hate it.

Serephina posted:

When I get time to play the game again after Xmas, is it safe to finish the DD fight, as I've unlocked Dad, and have gotten some frozen tears. Is that enough side-questing done?

Yeah if you have memory Dad's item drop you've unlocked the Purification ending, and if you have frozen tears you've unlocked the Dragon's Homecoming ending.

If you're really completionist you may also wish to dispose of any alcohol you still have left, as there's some different dialogue for drinking all four drinks with the Sculptor (possibly with some other requirements, I've never figured out the exact full criteria).

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 22, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The booze is all gone, I funnelled that stuff straight into the sculptor like he was gonna sleep with me or something. Have been trickling the leftovers to Isshin.

You know, the game really does sell the idea that consumables are in short supply during the opening moments of the game, but I am falling over all this poo poo. Maybe not Gatchan's, as I've been using the spritifall habitually after resting as so there's certainly not enough sugar for all that, but otherwise yea. More Ako's and Divine Confetti than I can use. Also pellets, what's the deal with them? 3 per rest... when your drat flask gets 10+ charges and is better. Gourd charges should have raised pellet counts too or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pellets are like life gems in DS2. They are good early game when you have no health and no flasks. Later you outgrow them.

A “super pellet” that was still good late game might have been nice. I guess there is, rice. But it’s annoying to get.

Anyway yeah, once you get into late game and especially NG+, you get so much money and items that you can kind of do whatever you want

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 22, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not about difficulty, the worst Fromsoft bosses are often the ones who are pushovers. See also: every single version of Storm Ruler.

Divine Dragon is Sekiro's worst boss because unlike every single other boss in the game (even Bull, technically) there is literally nothing you can do except wait for it to do its thing, and then react to it. Sekiro's entire pitch is that it's Dark Souls except instead of tank-and-spank being the default game plan, the player gets to set the pace. Divine Dragon is a betrayal of that promise. It is a glorified QTE and I hate it.

Yeah if you have memory Dad's item drop you've unlocked the Purification ending, and if you have frozen tears you've unlocked the Dragon's Homecoming ending.

If you're really completionist you may also wish to dispose of any alcohol you still have left, as there's some different dialogue for drinking all four drinks with the Sculptor (possibly with some other requirements, I've never figured out the exact full criteria).

Well at least it's not the last boss.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

skasion posted:

Pellets are like life gems in DS2. They are good early game when you have no health and no flasks. Later you outgrow them.

A “super pellet” that was still good late game might have been nice. I guess there is, rice. But it’s annoying to get.

Anyway yeah, once you get into late game and especially NG+, you get so much money and items that you can kind of do whatever you want

Pellet is good to pop pre-fight after taking a hit of the ceremonial dagger

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

skasion posted:

I found pellets useful to use after using the tanto to get free emblems. I may be wrong but they seem to scale regen amount with the health bar and not by hp.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Wamsutta posted:

I don’t have the time to use the tanto.

This might be obvious, might not, but I always use Tanto/Pellet before I even start a fight. That way if I lose early I'm loosing pellets (80sen x 5 emblems) instead of spirit emblems directly (50 sen a pop)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Capital Letdown posted:

This might be obvious, might not, but I always use Tanto/Pellet before I even start a fight. That way if I lose early I'm loosing pellets (80sen x 5 emblems) instead of spirit emblems directly (50 sen a pop)

This is an awesome tip, thank you

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
NG Beat dad on the third try, first one was just not remembering the fight and eating some crackers, second time I got to phase two and forgot what an rear end in a top hat he is teleporting out of my punishment windows. Got him on 3 with no deaths and one gourd used.

Now the rear end in a top hat dog summoning ninja was like 8 or more stupid tries, holy poo poo I hate those ninja guys.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just shuriken him?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Serephina posted:

Just shuriken him?

I dont use the prosthetics enough. I think that might be a weakness of the spirit emblems is that it doesn't encourage you to play around as much as I might if they were free. Similar to blood vials and bullets in Bloodborne

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

I dont use the prosthetics enough. I think that might be a weakness of the spirit emblems is that it doesn't encourage you to play around as much as I might if they were free. Similar to blood vials and bullets in Bloodborne

Yeah this is going to be my critique of the game that never changes. Not having emblems refill upon death/rest and making them a consumable, in my experience, really discourages experimenting with them and figuring out their best use cases. I've died so much I'm always low on sen and emblems.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
BTW there was earlier a discussion about the best way to deal with owl's firecracker toss into flaming slice attack.

I saw alot of people suggest that you dodge behind him. There's an even easier way.

The attack string normally goes: elbow strike, into knockback slash, into firecrackers, into flaming slice. After the knockback, just hold R1 and you will slip past his firecrackers and stab him in the face for 1.5x vitality damage. It's extremely safe and reliable. That firecracker hitbox isn't a physics object, it's just a hitbox that extends in front of Owl, so even if you're backed up against a wall the firecrackers will not crowd against it and catch you in the back.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oscar Wild posted:

That's a serious case of brain worms, I'm afraid. One will maybe use 5 shurikens over the course of that dude's two health bars, which costs as much as maybe backstabbing the fat man you spawn behind before that bossfight. I have no shame in exploiting prosthetics in fights, yet I just found out the max you can carry is 999.

Think of it this way: Flask charges aren't fee! You only get so many before having to pay the cost of using a shrine. Sprit Emblems are similarly non-free: you have to pay the cost of walking around looking for secrets (and murdering mooks in your way) to restock them. If you've drained the bank account bashing your head on a boss, you're probably tilted and should go for a walk and stab some dudes to clear your head a bit. God knows every time I beat a 'roadblock' boss it was the first time back after putting it down for a bit.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

stab him in the face
Secret techniques shinobi don't wan't you to know!!!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 23, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

just keep playing to NG+7 or whatever. stab one guy and you have enough spirit emblems to last you all week :sun:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

okay true but also just never ever thrusting when you're up against owl is good advice worth following at literally every other moment

as for my own tales of derring-do, i finally killed inner genichiro, so i can start working on his gauntlet now. do i still remember how to beat gyoubu and lady butterfly? a foolish question. of course not

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 23, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You can also do a thrust attack after you dodge his ichimonji.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDa3Q1ml64

Here's an example of an owl fight with relentless use of thrust attacks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this today and have no idea what to expect, I've played lots of dark souls so I guess I probably know generally what I'm in for but definitely excited to finally check this out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

I bought this today and have no idea what to expect, I've played lots of dark souls so I guess I probably know generally what I'm in for but definitely excited to finally check this out.

Hesitation is defeat, good luck

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

explosivo posted:

Buy moneybags

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
commit to being the dex build the game needs you to be

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

explosivo posted:

Game is hard

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

explosivo posted:

"parrying" (a word the game never uses) does what you would expect rolling does
dodging does what you'd expect parrying does
there's dramatically less RPG-style stat scaling so if you get stuck on a boss you just have to git gud

but! -- you have infinite stamina, your deflect window is more than twice as long as the i-frames of a dark souls dodge roll, and the game explicitly tells you which attacks can't be blocked and have to be avoided differently

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the game explicitly tells you which attacks can't be blocked and have to be avoided differently

Conversely, if the game doesn't tell you an attack cannot be deflected (parried), the attack can be deflected as normal.

Get the mikiri counter skill as soon as possible

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

explosivo posted:

We got another one, boys!

Reading the other poster’s thoughts on his first run through made me start a brand new file with early demon bell. Maybe this one will convince me to go charmless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Charmless is amazing, it makes so many aspects of the game that are otherwise weirdly redundant (like weapon arts that help you regain posture, for example) actually matter. It's not just masochism mode.

e: Demon Bell is less punishing than Charmless but ironically it really is just a "make the bad guys hit harder and take less damage" button. Much less interesting -- try Charmless + no bell if you want to ease into it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Model Camper posted:

Maybe this one will convince me to go charmless.

Rip the band-aid off and do both imo, it's what I did after coming back to finish up the last boss of ng+2 after a year and change

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The main benefit of the demon bell is increased loot drops. This is huge on your first run because you'll need cash and items to upgrade shinobi tools

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

explosivo posted:

The most important advice I can give is to buy spirit emblems every time you get to an idol. You can always get more cash, but emblem price goes up and you'll always want a bigger stockpile.

The second most important is to be more aggressive. No, more than that. Even more.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just did the demon of hatred skip and I wish I hadn't. That was underwhelming and lousy. He deserved better. Oh well NG + I guess. I'd never done it though. It's too easy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDa3Q1ml64

Here's an example of an owl fight with relentless use of thrust attacks.

This is sick! I learned a couple things from this video, so let me pass something on: you can get a swipe or two in when he starts Ichimonji. In case you didn't know.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You totally can yeah, but I'm far more confident timing the dodge on reaction rather than greeding an extra body hit in. It definitely helps.

You can also reset alot of Owl's attack strings by putting in your own attack, but again I prefer to reaction guard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Charmless is amazing, it makes so many aspects of the game that are otherwise weirdly redundant (like weapon arts that help you regain posture, for example) actually matter. It's not just masochism mode.

Interestingly, I find that worrying about your own posture is completely redundant on Charmless. Yes you will be on full posture bar as perfect guards also fill up your posture. But so long as you perfect guard, your full posture bar will never break. Replenishing your own posture bar is only ever a factor when your do imperfect guards with Kuro's Charm.

Ichimonji Double remains the best weapon art in the game regardless.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Inner Genichiro on this charmless bell run definitely taught me that I'm nowhere near as good at all his versions as I thought. I miss the 5th or 6th deflect in his 7-hit attack rush every single time. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It is functionally impossible to deflect the entire 9-hit string.

That attack typically goes: 2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, then a 4 hit flurry, then a finisher.

The first 4 attacks are easy to deflect. You can even fit in a thrust attack during that pause.

The issue is that by the time the 4th attack of the flurry comes out, your deflect window has narrowed so far that you need to be frame perfect.

There are two common ways of dealing with it. The first is to deflect the first 2, then dodge away and space out the remaining 6 attacks, and then deflect the final.

Another way I like to do now is to deflect the first 4, then iframe dodge forward right past his shoulder, which causes the remaining 5 attacks to fail to track you at all. It also lets you get thrust attacks into his back as a punishment.

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 24, 2023