Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Excited to build orcust in tcg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Syenite posted:

Duelists slogging through the most hellish formats Konami can haphazardly design for that sweet sweet single pack that's half filler.

I used Nurse Burn so it was hardly a slog. :v:

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

In the end I opted for the Salamangreat deck because I wanted to play around with Link monsters. Took a peak at some deck lists to see what that deck might ultimately look like, but I still haven't crafted anything specific to it and have mostly stuck to generic staples. Got my ABs & Cs crossed out since they're so baseline (one Ash did come from the bundle) but I'm looking at crafting a boss monster next to round out the deck a bit. Is Accescode Talker as safe a bet as it seems? Saw it on a few lists and it looks like one of those generically good cards that I might be able to slot into other decks as I build them out.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

yeah, the basic plan is to pick your first, hopefully cheap deck, try to build it as best you can, and then supplement it with as many of the bundles as you can still afford.

Also, it's gonna kinda suck, but just do all the single player modes; the real value is in the early tutorial ones, but pretty much every single one past that gives 200 gems and legacy packs, and they add up when you're chasing a mo ye or a drident.

Currently doing all of this. I'm using solo mode to get a feel for the cards and combos before going online, so it's not so bad. Probably gonna start getting whooped on ranked later today to start working on quests and such, but first I have to stop reading all my cards everytime anything happens lol

Iserlohn posted:

As far as staples to shoot for, the Bundles are all good to get. Handtraps like Maxx C, Ash, Imperm etc are inevitable but I would get a core for a deck before you worry about crafting those.

Cheap staples I would say are Book of Moon, Enemy Controller, Forbidden Chalice which are all Rare boardbreakers.

Thanks for this, cheap staples are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for while I fill out the deck so these helped a lot.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dust Kaiju is also a cheap replacement for the more expensive Kaijus and the only downside is you give your opponent a somewhat bigger beatstick.

Also crafted one of these since it's only Rare. Guessing the idea with Kaijus is to use it to have one in the pocket to tribute out monsters with annoying effects?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
My first cheap deck was crusadia, which is really fun because you get to dome people for 14000 damage.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

they want shady posted:

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

In the end I opted for the Salamangreat deck because I wanted to play around with Link monsters. Took a peak at some deck lists to see what that deck might ultimately look like, but I still haven't crafted anything specific to it and have mostly stuck to generic staples. Got my ABs & Cs crossed out since they're so baseline (one Ash did come from the bundle) but I'm looking at crafting a boss monster next to round out the deck a bit. Is Accescode Talker as safe a bet as it seems? Saw it on a few lists and it looks like one of those generically good cards that I might be able to slot into other decks as I build them out.

Accescode is very safe. It is used as a finisher in a few other decks given its effect and summoning conditions

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flair posted:

Accescode is very safe. It is used as a finisher in a few other decks given its effect and summoning conditions

Yeah if you can spare the bodies to even make a link 2 then go into Accesscode it's a 4300 beat stick and 1 free unreactable destruction effect.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hizke posted:

Excited to build orcust in tcg.

I'm building Speedroids. It's time to return to Synchro Spam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thinking of going to locals tonight....... will report in

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah if you can spare the bodies to even make a link 2 then go into Accesscode it's a 4300 beat stick and 1 free unreactable destruction effect.

And if that link 2 is I:P Masquerena, it gets protection from destruction effects on top.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

And if that link 2 is I:P Masquerena, it gets protection from destruction effects on top.

Sometimes it's a charmer if your deck needs it.

Or spright elf if you have a lot of level/rank/link 2's to get a body back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even have a current deck that uses Accesscode and I have one created, it's one of the most used cards in the game for a reason. YOu definitely want in in a salamangreat deck.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

they want shady posted:

Also crafted one of these since it's only Rare. Guessing the idea with Kaijus is to use it to have one in the pocket to tribute out monsters with annoying effects?

yeah the basic idea behind kaijus is that a monster may be indestructible by battle, or card effect, or even targeting, but being tributed doesn't count as any of those

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be more accurate, the reason they can be tributed is that the removal is a *cost* and not an effect.

If a card had an effect of "tribute a monster", then you couldn't use it on a monster which was unaffected by card effects - the bit that matters is that "unaffected by card effects" doesn't care about cost.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Thanks again. Crafted that Accesscode and I'm having a blast now that the deck's slowly coming together.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be more accurate, the reason they can be tributed is that the removal is a *cost* and not an effect.

If a card had an effect of "tribute a monster", then you couldn't use it on a monster which was unaffected by card effects - the bit that matters is that "unaffected by card effects" doesn't care about cost.

Love this rulings bullshit. Now that I've tried it I see how they work and they're even better than I thought. So Kaijus are basically a get-out-of-jail free card for problematic monsters. Hell, if it comes down to it, they're good for just reducing a good beatstick into a less beatier stick. Have since upgraded the Mothra into the 2200 attack SR turtle (is this supposed to be Gamera?) without a second thought once I got this through my thick skull, since those 500 attack points do make a big difference with the quality of cards I'm handling right now (say, Heatleo the Salamagreat Link Monster is 2300 attack so it beats that Kaiju instead of losing to it and that's a pretty big difference in value for my mid-boss monster).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Also, I'm sure this isn't as lol worthy to you as it was for me but I'll still throw it out there, decided to switch the language to my native one (Spanish) just to see how they translated some monster names like Accesscode Talker and it looks like it's hilariously machine translated. They got the more obvious ones right, Dark Magician is "Mago Oscuro" and Blue Eyes is "Dragón Blanco de Ojos Azules." But other, less important things like Slifer got done dirty (Slifer is now "el dragón del cielo" instead of "el dragón celestial," they mean the exact same poo poo but the new one's strictly more literal and clunkier and also not canon to the LatAm dub, which looking at some cards they respect for some and ignore for others).

It did cross my mind that this might have been lifted straight from the spanish (Spain) dub but it's still lol worthy to me that they'd take their cues from there since their dubs are literal to a point where it's extremeley funny. Say, they call Master Roshi from Dragon Ball "Duende Tortuga" (Turtle Elf) since it's technically a very direct and valid translation of his title, Kame Sennin (basically Turtle Hermit, which is literally his title in the the LatAm dub). They also call the Kamehameha "Onda Vital" (lit. Life Wave) while in the LatAm dub we just left that poo poo untransalted (probably because it's impossible to match those syllables with a translation since "Turtle Destruction Wave" doesn't roll off the tongue in any language that I know of.

Anyway, thought I'd throw all that trivia your way since I'm really thankful for all your advice and that's the best I can offer backr ight now since I don't know current Yu-Gi-Oh well at all.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

they want shady posted:

Also, I'm sure this isn't as lol worthy to you as it was for me but I'll still throw it out there, decided to switch the language to my native one (Spanish) just to see how they translated some monster names like Accesscode Talker and it looks like it's hilariously machine translated. They got the more obvious ones right, Dark Magician is "Mago Oscuro" and Blue Eyes is "Dragón Blanco de Ojos Azules." But other, less important things like Slifer got done dirty (Slifer is now "el dragón del cielo" instead of "el dragón celestial," they mean the exact same poo poo but the new one's strictly more literal and clunkier and also not canon to the LatAm dub, which looking at some cards they respect for some and ignore for others).

It did cross my mind that this might have been lifted straight from the spanish (Spain) dub but it's still lol worthy to me that they'd take their cues from there since their dubs are literal to a point where it's extremeley funny. Say, they call Master Roshi from Dragon Ball "Duende Tortuga" (Turtle Elf) since it's technically a very direct and valid translation of his title, Kame Sennin (basically Turtle Hermit, which is literally his title in the the LatAm dub). They also call the Kamehameha "Onda Vital" (lit. Life Wave) while in the LatAm dub we just left that poo poo untransalted (probably because it's impossible to match those syllables with a translation since "Turtle Destruction Wave" doesn't roll off the tongue in any language that I know of.

Anyway, thought I'd throw all that trivia your way since I'm really thankful for all your advice and that's the best I can offer backr ight now since I don't know current Yu-Gi-Oh well at all.

There's no actual official Latin American translation of anything yugioh related despite it theoretically being part of the TCG. As far as I'm aware everything in Spanish or Portuguese is translated from English (not Japanese!) by Konami EU for home markets and then back-ported by Konami NA for Mexico and South America.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Another deck worth looking into with an eye on the future is Rescue-ACE. especially since you've already bought into the Salamangreat structure. It only has 4-5 in-archetype URs right now (6-7 if you also count One for One and Promethean Princess). It's still missing two cards, but in the future it will definitely get more support and access to new engines.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

I'm building Speedroids. It's time to return to Synchro Spam.

terrortop at 2 ftmfw

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Went 1-2 at locals last night, lost to branded and fire kings. Brutal. All the handtraps in the world couldnt save my rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got brutally pwned and misplayed my rear end off. Locals ftw.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hizke posted:

terrortop at 2 ftmfw

I've already made my pal group at locals regret it in our testing games. Being more likely to just open it means you can search out another extender which means instead of Baronne, Clear wing and the bike you can also end on another crystal wing or maple maven.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

I've already made my pal group at locals regret it in our testing games. Being more likely to just open it means you can search out another extender which means instead of Baronne, Clear wing and the bike you can also end on another crystal wing or maple maven.

lmfao HELL yeah

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hizke posted:

lmfao HELL yeah

The only issue there is you have to run another level 7 wind synchro to be able to use clear rider's effect to it's maximum so you're playing poo poo like Dragunity Knight Trident (To thin your opponents ED by going into it on your turn then using it to go into Rider) and Wind Pegasus @Ignsiter (Spot spell/trap removal and shuffles something on death) so you don't have to use the dogshit manga version of crystal wing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey clear wing fast has its uses

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah but it's just worse than Clear or Crystal synchro so I'd rather have the weird tech picks like Trident nad Wind Pegasus. You're not lacking for negates in Wind Synchro.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

The only issue there is you have to run another level 7 wind synchro to be able to use clear rider's effect to it's maximum so you're playing poo poo like Dragunity Knight Trident (To thin your opponents by going into it on your turn then using it to go into Rider) and Wind Pegasus @Ignsiter (Spot spell/trap removal and shuffles something on death) so you don't have to use the dogshit manga version of crystal wing.

Yeah, Pegasus is still a pretty good option

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

The top 100 tally has been finalized. The decklists are still getting collected: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/tournaments/duelist-cup/december-2023/report

https://roadoftheking.com/master-duel-duelist-cup-2023-december/

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OCG new banlist.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

OCG new banlist.

Master Peace freedom incoming? :twisted:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
"Guys, Rivalry is a REAL problem that we need to stop. TCBOO? nah nah nah, that's not a big deal at all." :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kild posted:

OCG new banlist.

Please dear god MD follow this. Free my birds.

Also King Calamity honestly never should have been printed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
do not, under any circumstances, unhit Master Peace

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
They should do it and out him at 3 actually.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Master Peace legitimately wouldn't be as horrible now. There's a lot more decks that can deal nowadays.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Syenite posted:

Master Peace legitimately wouldn't be as horrible now. There's a lot more decks that can deal nowadays.

in a word:
No

to elaborate:
See Purrely for a why sitting on a fat towers with a control quick effect can be hard to deal with.
And Master peace has the advantage of being effectively generic.
And has the advantage of being a full towers rather than activated effect immune so you can do things like use it under skill drain.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 25, 2023

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

in a word:
No

to elaborate:
See Purrely for a why sitting on a fat towers with a control quick effect can be hard to deal with.
And Master peace has the advantage of being effectively generic.
And has the advantage of being a full towers rather than activated effect immune so you can do things like use it under skill drain.

It would be hard to deal with, but I still think you're overselling how dangerous it would be now.

The pop requires you to be playing continuous spell/traps, which most decks don't.

It's only 2/3rds of a towers, which while still functionally a full towers for a lot of decks, is not as strong now with the existence of imperm, thrust etc. Plus more decks have both spells and traps in-archeyype.

It's only above 3k while you have diagram up and it isn't spell-unaffected. Popping a spell/trap then attacking with a 3k beater is something nearly every deck can do now.

Also merry xmas :greatgift:

E: also I feel zoodiac getting freed and doing gently caress-all, along with DPE staying gone kinda helps to realize that a quick pop isn't as powerful now

Syenite fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 25, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Playing Master peace lets you play floodgate S/T because when the time comes you can either just tribute those off for master peace or set them under it
Its not a perfect wall, but combining it with things like anti-spell fragrance makes it almost that. You cant assess it in a vacuum either because you have the rest of the deck it can sit in to consider.

Which now that you mentioned Zoos, they can use master peace, and very easily too. One quick pop might not be enough but two, possibly more with Drident being MD unlimited, thats a lot.
Its a force multiplier for any deck that can run it since you have to contend with its removal in addition to the rest of the board.

(utter madness in the MD list re: zoos tho, whats next? broadbull?)

And Merry Christmas one and all

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Playing Master peace lets you play floodgate S/T because when the time comes you can either just tribute those off for master peace or set them under it
Its not a perfect wall, but combining it with things like anti-spell fragrance makes it almost that. You cant assess it in a vacuum either because you have the rest of the deck it can sit in to consider.

Which now that you mentioned Zoos, they can use master peace, and very easily too. One quick pop might not be enough but two, possibly more with Drident being MD unlimited, thats a lot.
Its a force multiplier for any deck that can run it since you have to contend with its removal in addition to the rest of the board.

(utter madness in the MD list re: zoos tho, whats next? broadbull?)

And Merry Christmas one and all

I feel like that's the sort of playstyle that people would get very mad at, but would have no actual results since opponents would just not let you go first after you sat behind trap/monster Peace + fragrance game 1. Also since everyone is already playing kaijus.

I'm not sure zoo would even really play Peace, but maybe it's okay to give it to them, as a treat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This conversation really only matters to MD, which is the first in line in the formats keen on bringing back the old evils. So for now Bo1 play is the only one that matters, and drat I am not looking forward to having to further squeeze in space for things to deal with MP, in addition to the MD staples tax.

in the T/OCG zoodiacs are still under tight lock and key with drident banned.
But hell theyre bring the droolers back slowly so

who the hell knows gently caress it bring VFD back too while were at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

We've already had multiple experiments with MAster Peace thanks to MBT's masochist banlist.

It needs to stay banned. It's still a threat and was even into Tear 0