Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can even tell people you'll punish them in the name of the Moon. Werewolf should be extremely lgbtq+ friendly imho.

Forsaken was. Heck, 2E even had a rank 1 easy to acquire Gift if you wanted to change your gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
On the one hand, the Garou Nation being incredibly lovely about gender is completely in-line with everything about the Garou Nation and whitewashing this is exactly the kind of thing I'm always complaining about as media properties file away everything unique about themselves in order to become completely frictionless and offensive-to-nobody.

On the other hand, literally nobody actually wants to play out exactly the same arguments they just had with their real-life family over again with their imaginary werewolf family, so.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fuzz posted:

This was in the preview version, thankfully it never made it to print but yeah, loving YIKES.

Apparently Ravnos in design doc for the extra clans had a compulsion called "Gaslighting," too. It's actually pretty impressive they managed to right the ship for Vampire and Hunter, at least. Woof still a mess, but Apocalypse always basically sucked rear end anyway.

Well, it was replaced with the compulsion to be pointlessly insubordinate, so the game's just punching left in a less superficial way now; it's grousing about antifa malcontents instead of SJWs whose hair's dyed fun colors. The problem with Ericsson wasn't actually his politics but his lack of subtlety.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Whirling posted:

Its so tiresome that Paradox's meddling both made the oWoD dumber and killed the nWoD.

I've accepted that nWoD was probably going to be wrapping up by now either way. Paradox being a bunch of edgelords accelerated things, but they would have the same drainage of experienced writers and increased reliance on hopping from kickstarter to kickstarter either way. Nothing lasts forever, including game lines.

Still, ugh. That whole Paradox period sucked. There's some good name changes in there, but also so much edgy junk the whole edition had to crawl out of.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

On the one hand, the Garou Nation being incredibly lovely about gender is completely in-line with everything about the Garou Nation and whitewashing this is exactly the kind of thing I'm always complaining about as media properties file away everything unique about themselves in order to become completely frictionless and offensive-to-nobody.

On the other hand, literally nobody actually wants to play out exactly the same arguments they just had with their real-life family over again with their imaginary werewolf family, so.

This is actually a useful and instructive distinction to draw, because the Garou nation, or at least swathes of the Garou nation, being deeply conservative and reproduction-focused a la Exalted's Scarlet Dynasty would make perfect sense and be a ready-made source of social conflict for those tables that wanted to deal with these issues in-game.

But, the actual material in question goes farther to be like, your body rejects this, the spirits hate it, blah blah blah, so it's just boilerplate baked-in transphobia.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Your body has changed and now society fears and hates you, but it has given you strength and insight and a new family in your pack" whoever picks up Werewolf next should just lean right into that extremely obvious metaphor

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

"The werewolves are GROOMERS and actually you don't change if you have no contact with them" is what I'm expecting out of future Woof editions

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ferrinus posted:

This is actually a useful and instructive distinction to draw, because the Garou nation, or at least swathes of the Garou nation, being deeply conservative and reproduction-focused a la Exalted's Scarlet Dynasty would make perfect sense and be a ready-made source of social conflict for those tables that wanted to deal with these issues in-game.

But, the actual material in question goes farther to be like, your body rejects this, the spirits hate it, blah blah blah, so it's just boilerplate baked-in transphobia.

Yeah, Garou elders being stodgy and stuck in their ways and refusing to accept gender transition while the spirits are 100% on board would be good writing.

But the book as written presents it as biotruths and gender essentialism. Your body forcibly detransitions you and women all secretly hate abortion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

But the book as written presents it as biotruths and gender essentialism. Your body forcibly detransitions you and women all secretly hate abortion.

Even Revised Black Furies was more nuanced.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has anyone picked up the Arthurian Scion book?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has anyone picked up the Arthurian Scion book?
It's pretty chill! It's got the Welsh pantheon, some interesting rules for Mantles, the Knights of the Round Table as an organization.

They stat up multiple Famous Swords, as you would hope, as well as the Holy Grail (despite wanting to not touch Christianity so much). Also (and kind of surprising), new knacks, heroic and immortal, for every existing calling, including incredibly funny poo poo like this Heroic Trickster knack:

quote:

I Meant to Do That: When you fail at an action, you may select additional consolations based on how you failed:
• Confusingly. Observers have no idea what you were trying to do, barring supernatural ability and defeating you in a Clash of Wills.
• Instructively. An ally who attempts the same action gains your Legend in Enhancement to the roll that applies before they roll.
• Spectacularly. Characters without an Attitude to- ward you create a Positive 1-point attitude toward you of “They’re Harmless,” and increase any Positive Atmosphere in the scene.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can you do Fate bullshit with it?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The Great Nasuverse Campaign...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for the speedy and well rounded replies, guys. It's tonight and we're pregaming a bit, because, frankly I don't want to be a tool and start a pointed argument when my partner is just seeing all of her old good friends that happen to converge on this birthday, but also I can't not say anything at least to her.

Do we have sources for the following:

Kurieg posted:

He also claimed that OG White wolf were "pussies" for not releasing a 9/11 plotbook in the aftermath. And that they should release a new "Gypsy's" Book (When pressed he agreed they'd probably need to call them Roma now). And that Female characters in historical games should be worse than male characters for the sake of historical accuracy.

Ferrinus posted:

Something that still sticks in my memory about early V5 is that the Brujah clan compulsion used to straight up be "Triggered", but in precisely the sense of a reactionary comedian's Netflix special. It explicitly meant you were offended on moral or political grounds and had to get mouthy about it.

I think the werewolf stuff is a lot more damning( NOT saying anti-roma sentiment is cool, just that he can claim he recanted), but if he's as edgy as I suspect he'll just claim ignorance.

quote:

Oh I was implying you could curse him, but he's already cursed - he's Swedracula!

I don't think I'll be cursing anybody at this juncture, he's got enough on his plate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

All my stuff came from the first paradox run grand masquerade which has hence been rather thoroughly scrubbed from the Internet.

There was an occasion where he told a woman who asked about historical games if they'd be historically accurate and he told her like "oh don't worry you won't only have 75% of a man's resources dots" before the presenter wrenched the microphone away from him.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tias posted:

Do we have sources for the following:

This is from the June 2017 "PreAlpha" playtest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Unrelated, but it's sorta weird to go to someone's birthday with a plan to dig up all the dirt on them you can find, just to pick a fight with them.

Like yeah, he sucks, but also... so does that behavior?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nah I think dude can eat poo poo every day and especially on his birthday.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated, but it's sorta weird to go to someone's birthday with a plan to dig up all the dirt on them you can find, just to pick a fight with them.

They aren't trying to pick a fight? They want to be able to use facts to counter the 'well we think he's a cool guy who certainly isn't a lovely edgelord' narrative from the mutual friends or whatever.

e - like it sounds like op is being kinda strong-armed into being around swededrac

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ferrinus posted:

This is from the June 2017 "PreAlpha" playtest.

"extrovert anger"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

"extrovert anger"

Yeah it's a class feature they gain access to at level 10. Right after "A suspicious amount of friends".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The dialectical unity of chad and soyjack...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
rolling willpower against difficult 8 to maintain eye contact without being a creep about it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You just reminded me of a discussion I had around a Vampire table years and years ago that went something like:

"You know, you could probably just specify that your character is avoiding eye contact so that this Ventrue doesn't get a chance to use Dominate on you."
"Yeah, but then you'll look weak and submissive."
"You know what would make you look really weak and submissive? Literally being dominated."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

You just reminded me of a discussion I had around a Vampire table years and years ago that went something like:

"You know, you could probably just specify that your character is avoiding eye contact so that this Ventrue doesn't get a chance to use Dominate on you."
"Yeah, but then you'll look weak and submissive."
"You know what would make you look really weak and submissive? Literally being dominated."

Anyone worth half their salt at subterfuge has mastered the art of staring at a point just above the eyebrows in the middle of someone's forehead to give the appearance of making eye contact without actually making eye contact.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Hey guys! Just started a V5 campaign! I know new oWoD isn't super great but I binged Chicago by Night and it seemed cool and Blood Rites is neat and this will be my first real, not online text based WoD game and while I'm pissed at what happened to Vissicutude I'm happy to play my horrible femboy streamer Tzsmiscie an--

Good lord what is happening in this thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Autistic vampire accidentally collapses elaborate scheme through aversion to eye contact.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mcclay posted:

Hey guys! Just started a V5 campaign! I know new oWoD isn't super great but I binged Chicago by Night and it seemed cool and Blood Rites is neat and this will be my first real, not online text based WoD game and while I'm pissed at what happened to Vissicutude I'm happy to play my horrible femboy streamer Tzsmiscie an--

Good lord what is happening in this thread.

Don't let the haters get you down, and have fun!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What happened to vissicitude?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Soonmot posted:

What happened to vissicitude?

They rolled it into Protean and made it a little less loose about what you can do with it. I personally love the V5 disciplines for the most part. I know it didn't do it first but I enjoy the general move away from boring "have some more actions/dots/successes" type of disciplines.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm finally playing through Cyberpunk 2077, and I noticed that some incidental dialogue in one of the sidequests was clearly written by a Werewolf: the Forsaken fan:

Jane: What says the Wolf-Father to the Moon Mother as she descends to Earth?

Maelstrom: "I have protected the realm of man and shadow, but today they are protected by our children whose name is Patricide."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I'm finally playing through Cyberpunk 2077, and I noticed that some incidental dialogue in one of the sidequests was clearly written by a Werewolf: the Forsaken fan:

Jane: What says the Wolf-Father to the Moon Mother as she descends to Earth?

Maelstrom: "I have protected the realm of man and shadow, but today they are protected by our children whose name is Patricide."

There are references to D&D, Shadowrun, Blades in the Dark, L5R, and a few other RPGs, as well. Ever single quest is also named after a song. There's a lot of love that went into that game, it's nice that it's finally recovered from the abysmal launch and people are starting to appreciate it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

1. Oh, boy! The game I've been anticipating is finally out, time to play it!
2. [Wisdom 10] Ah, the game I've been anticipating is finally in open beta. Just gotta give it another couple years to cook.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

1. Oh, boy! The game I've been anticipating is finally out, time to play it!
2. [Wisdom 10] Ah, the game I've been anticipating is finally in open beta. Just gotta give it another couple years to cook.

And that's why I still haven't bought Rogue Trader because the VG thread is still talking how like companion plotlines aren't finished.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fuzz posted:

It's kind of both, and I caught myself doing it mid-act. It's just that every time he comes up, my partner will mention how nice a guy he is and how many good LARPs they've done, and I'll be like "he destroyed my favorite game by being an edgy dicklord" and the thought of going into that circle of friends without arguments didn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean I should get into a huff and poo poo on some peoples party.

I didn't go, by the way. My general impression of the dude seems to be that his ambition got him into a situation he wasn't equipped to manage, and now he seems kind of sad. No sense in heaping anything on, really.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Nessus posted:

!

Based on memory, the elements in an otherwise interesting book (even if one may dislike the underlying premise) were:

* Female Garou roll to frenzy if they have an abortion
* Garou who receive gender confirmation surgeries regenerate to their previous form when they shape-change
* Garou who spirit-quest for gender transition assistance through spirit-magic will probably still be shunned for sterility unless they get the big spirit spells and can make babies.

None of that poo poo was necessary, although a note to the effect of "spirit-quests and similar boons can provide gender confirmation changes... even better than Weaver surgeries!" would have been alright by me. Maybe have a Rite the CoGs can do.

My memory is admittedly going to poo poo, but wasn’t there a Rite specifically for changing your gender back in early editions? It may have been a splat book thing, but I’m pretty sure it was a thing in the lore.

Edit - Found it. It’s a low level gift from Forsaken. What a weird loving reversal for 5e.

I ride bikes all day fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 31, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's not a weird reversal for 5e at all, in that the original intent of 5e is to forget everything that happened after 1992 or so, and it only had to pull back a bit on that when they booted dracula. but all the people he hired that are still there are 100% committed to it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Olympus posted:

it's not a weird reversal for 5e at all, in that the original intent of 5e is to forget everything that happened after 1992 or so, and it only had to pull back a bit on that when they booted dracula. but all the people he hired that are still there are 100% committed to it
While under no circumstances do we have to hand it to any of these people, these things are in WW20 -- and I gather from reports that they are in fact editorial fiat, and were possibly inserted without the knowledge of the book's authors. It's unfortunate because Changing Ways was a good book otherwise

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

While under no circumstances do we have to hand it to any of these people, these things are in WW20 -- and I gather from reports that they are in fact editorial fiat, and were possibly inserted without the knowledge of the book's authors. It's unfortunate because Changing Ways was a good book otherwise

Yeah, the Woof20 developer left over finding out it had been inserted behind his back, I believe.

Going off Sambrano's account it feels like Karim Muammar seems to be the biggest problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Mister Olympus posted:

it's not a weird reversal for 5e at all, in that the original intent of 5e is to forget everything that happened after 1992 or so

Probably because they saw the success that D&D had with doing that to its own 5e! :D