Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shard posted:

I am not going to buy a single game in 2024.

Same. Gonna try to cut through this backlog.

See ya in 2025, BG3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Backlogs don't exist, free yourself and play whatever you want whenever you want to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

really enjoying the current event in honkai star rail, where you join a ghost hunting streamer on paranormal tiktok as her social media expert, that not only serves as an epilogue to the loufu arc that checks in on all the characters to see how they're doing but also, has a lot of weird writing around youtube clickbait and comments sections. also at least four jokes about youtube plagiarism

I really like how star rail plays as a jrpg mechanically but, not gonna lie that the real reason I play it is the insane amount of quality writing

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anyone have any gaming resolutions for 2024?
I don't know if I'd call it a resolution, but I'm thinking of doing a deep dive back into the Final Fantasy series. I was a huge fan of everything Squaresoft in the SNES & PSX days (VI and VIII being my favorites), but kind of dropped off after X and haven't played a game in the series since.

Earlier this year I tried the Theatrhythm demo on Switch and enjoyed it enough to immediately buy the full game and have put a ton of hours into it since then. I still pick it up to play through some songs a few times a week. It really reignited my nostalgia for the series and made me curious about the newer games that I've missed out on. I did replay Final Fantasy VI already and had a lot of fun experiencing it again.

I'm trying to decide if I should start all the way back at the original and play through all of them. If I do it will be a long term project, and I would almost certainly be playing other games in between them, but the prospect has gotten me excited the more that I think about it. We'll see if I manage to continue my enthusiasm once I get started.

I've been doing a similar thing with the Metal Gear Solid series, having never played any of them past 3, although that's a much easier time commitment. I finished a replay of 2 a week ago and plan on starting 3 soon. After that, will be the daunting task of emulating 4, but I think it's finally time. That game is something I've wanted to experience for years, and there have been multiple occasions in the past decade+ where I've almost purchased a PS3 just to play that game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ImpAtom posted:

I *wanted* to give my money to a bunch of morons and/or scammers, it's my god given right as an AMERICAN.

My god. A perfect supreme Court case.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have both Sword Coast Legends and Tony Hawk HD Collection in my Steam library, so I assume it is worth a fortune, since those games are delisted.
They're also broken and/or bad games, but you can't buy them on Steam anymore!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Some people asked if JA3 was good and yes it's extremely good and the combat is insanely fun, but most of all the combat is also snappy and fast unlike some other poo poo that released this year where every turn is pulling teeth because it's loving slow as poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are you referring to the fake Indiana Jones game or something else?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anyone have any gaming resolutions for 2024? I’m think I’m going to try to make it a year of second looks for games that are acclaimed but that I bounced off of or under-appreciated: Nier Automata, Undertale, Monster Hunter World being the main three but I’m sure I’ll think of others. I’m also going to finally start letting myself get some new releases instead of only buying one game a year and spending the rest of the time playing backlog games. Not that I won’t play the backlog, but I want to be part of the zeitgeist a little after missing it with so many huge games over the last few years.

I’m gonna play some of the Resident Evil games I haven’t played yet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fifteen of Many posted:

Anyone have any gaming resolutions for 2024?

Probably gonna keep being 1080p, but hopefully I cam get a PS5 and start doing 4K

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I’m gonna beat Elden ring, Witcher 3, baldurs gate, octopath 2 and disco elysium in 2024

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

A Concrete Divider posted:

I’m gonna beat Elden ring, Witcher 3, baldurs gate, octopath 2 and disco elysium in 2024

I'm not going to beat any of those.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.ign.com/articles/indie-publisher-versus-evil-is-shutting-down-entire-staff-laid-off

Versus Evil, the publisher of The Banner Saga and Pillars of Eternity II, is shutting down and laying off its entire staff

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

goatface posted:

Are you referring to the fake Indiana Jones game or something else?

Something else. JA3 is a sequel to a long dormant franchise.

Mode 7 posted:

Backlogs don't exist, free yourself and play whatever you want whenever you want to.

I mostly mean I have a lot of potentially great games I already own that I haven't played that I'd like to finally tackle and not get distracted by the new shiny thing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ChickenHeart posted:

Thank goodness the long arm of the law is there to imprison a young adult indefinitely and save us from their heinous act of...releasing videogame footage without the owning company's consent

They were also using their leet haxxing skills to stalk and harass women so… yeah

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What happens to games when their publishers go under? I'm guessing here the parent company owns them now, under the same terms?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, part of it was that they were already part of an apparently notorious gang of hackers and had already hacked a whole bunch of other things

He'll probably get out when some cybersecurity company makes a good enough offer for him to white hat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These are all stupidly long rear end games, so this will probably be your entire gaming for 2024.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Loving all these resolution posts!

Shard posted:

I am not going to buy a single game in 2024.

hell yeah brother

I said come in! posted:

Complete all of the Yakuza games.

Yakuza 0/1 is actually a great add for my "year of second looks." I think I mainlined the story and didn't do any of the goofy side stuff. I finally got the right groove with Like a Dragon and want to revisit the ones I played + the ones I haven't!

Mode 7 posted:

I think the only real resolution I have is "write more about the games I'm playing".

This encouraged me to check out PMF, which I wasn't familiar with before, and I scoped out your thread. You should do it, friend!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Same. Gonna try to cut through this backlog.

This was me basically 2018-2023, so I wish you well. I had (have?) a huge stack of freebies from EGS/PS+ and cheapies from Humble/Fanatical Bundles plus some leftovers from 2012-2015 when I had no impulse control around Steam sales. I felt a lot of guilt about buying anything new when I had this pile of games sitting around so I made it my goal to knock a sizeable chunk out. It's down from about 450 to 150, so, uh, progress? I believe in you!

Jokymi posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a resolution, but I'm thinking of doing a deep dive back into the Final Fantasy series....

I've been doing a similar thing with the Metal Gear Solid series...

Hey I did this too! I'm up to FF5 and want to get through at least 5-7 this year. I did the Metal Gears up to 5 over the last two years as well. Wild games!

Gripweed posted:

I’m gonna play some of the Resident Evil games I haven’t played yet

Hell yeah, they rock. 1 is my absolute fave, but I played 2R/3R and 4 OG over the last two years and had a blast. I have 5-7 on the slate for this year then maybe I'll bite (:zombie:) on 4R.

Elden Ring was the only new game I let myself get last year and it was totally worth it. Witcher 3 is also amazing, I hope you enjoy it! I think I'm going to let myself get Baldur's Gate 3 as my first semi-new purchase!

:haw:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

Something else. JA3 is a sequel to a long dormant franchise.

No, I mean the other games of the type that were slow and clunky.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I've beaten all those games except bg3, which I'm playing next year too :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

Yakuza 0/1 is actually a great add for my "year of second looks." I think I mainlined the story and didn't do any of the goofy side stuff.

this is like getting a burger and only eating the bun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nobody is talking about the brand new Square-Enix game. Can't even find any gameplay footage of it, if there is any.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hell yeah, they rock. 1 is my absolute fave, but I played 2R/3R and 4 OG over the last two years and had a blast. I have 5-7 on the slate for this year then maybe I'll bite (:zombie:) on 4R.

I just recently picked up a copy of 4 OG HD because I wanted to make sure I played it before I played the remake, so I can get the proper experience with both versions.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Nobody is talking about the brand new Square-Enix game. Can't even find any gameplay footage of it, if there is any.

Which one?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, part of it was that they were already part of an apparently notorious gang of hackers and had already hacked a whole bunch of other things

He'll probably get out when some cybersecurity company makes a good enough offer for him to white hat

its not (just) a criminal sentence though, they're locking him up indefinitely until he stops being autistic.
itll happen any day now i'm sure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Symbiogenesis, some NFT grift. I was just curious to see if there was gameplay beyond buying ugly avatars. Saw a flowchart that mentioned quests and things as part of some NFT buying/holding/selling loop as the story chapters roll out, just want to see what those quests even are in this context.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Symbiogenesis, some NFT grift. I was just curious to see if there was gameplay beyond buying ugly avatars. Saw a flowchart that mentioned quests and things as part of some NFT buying/holding/selling loop as the story chapters roll out, just want to see what those quests even are in this context.

Oh I had no idea that it had come out? Everything i hear about that game just slides straight out of my brain and onto the pavement

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Today was first I've heard of it and besides the website showing some NFTs already sold, I can't tell if anyone is actually "playing" whatever that means here. Figured there'd be some streamer who had a clip or something it all I saw were articles and videos clowning on the project. Rightfully of course. My best guess is that if there is any gameplay, it will be on the level of 2000s Neopets daily login activities. If they had some kind of combat or RPG gameplay I think they would've put it in the trailer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think they just stopped mentioning it and hoped people would forget

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
heh, I just got recommended an AVGN video that I guess just came out, and it's about FF6. it's been a long goddamn time since I've watched AVGN, good to see he's still at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8txDyH9ug0&hd=1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Many of these recent NFT projects smack of some over eager execs signing up with some NFT grift joints back when the craze wasnt overwhelmed by everyone one collectively saying hard pass, but the contracts are signed and the true believers are still pushing so they released the bare minimum, which worked out great since that was always the target effort level.

Krapopolis the cartoon had some embarassing NFT element that I think all it did was change the colour of background character outfits and maybe gently caress up the episode order?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

heh, I just got recommended an AVGN video that I guess just came out, and it's about FF6. it's been a long goddamn time since I've watched AVGN, good to see he's still at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8txDyH9ug0&hd=1

I hadn't heard anything about him until he and the company he was working with turned up in that hbomberguy plagiarism video

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got that on my to-watch list, what'd AVGN do? or was it his writers that did something? james rolfe doesn't seem like the sort of guy to secretively steal other people's work.

man, can't believe AVGN has been around for just shy of two decades.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He started to outsource the writing for some of his Cinemassacre content to another company, and a lot of that material ended up being plagiarized.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got that on my to-watch list, what'd AVGN do? or was it his writers that did something? james rolfe doesn't seem like the sort of guy to secretively steal other people's work.

man, can't believe AVGN has been around for just shy of two decades.

He sort of took a step back and let this other company come in and write his scripts. In addition to the unfortunate loss of personalization and quality that used to come directly from James' passion about the subject matter, it turns out one of them was also plagiarizing a ton of stuff.

They had to take down a video and then hastily re-write 30 others since it was a situation where he was meant to release one video a day for a whole month and the plagiarism only came to light after the first video released.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, that sucks. I totally get if he felt he'd completely spent his creative energies at this point and wanted to push that problem off elsewhere to focus on his family and stuff while still keeping his lucrative persona going, but it is a drat shame the people he hired were unscrupulous

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

This was me basically 2018-2023, so I wish you well. I had (have?) a huge stack of freebies from EGS/PS+ and cheapies from Humble/Fanatical Bundles plus some leftovers from 2012-2015 when I had no impulse control around Steam sales. I felt a lot of guilt about buying anything new when I had this pile of games sitting around so I made it my goal to knock a sizeable chunk out. It's down from about 450 to 150, so, uh, progress? I believe in you!

Thankfully I only have like 97 to go. Currently playing Lies of P, ToTK, and Flower, Sun and Rain. I like having an action game, a big open world game, and a visual novel I'm going through at the same time to jump in and out of depending on my mood.

I got the Neil Gaiman Illustrated Norse Mythology compilation book for Christmas so I think after Lies of P I'm going to read through that and get through Ragnorak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023

bone emulator posted:

I played through the story content for it last year and had a great time. It works fairly well as a single player rpg these days.

There's a SWTOR thread somewhere in the MMO subforum if you're curious.

Yeah I enjoy it. I always get really into it for a few months in the winter, drop it, then come back to it. Thanks for the thread suggestion, will check it out!