Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It isn't an RPG if you don't have a level up screen and at least four stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If bioshock infinite had japanese subtitles, half this forum would consider it the greatest game of all time, lmao

pretty sure you can turn on japanese subtitles if you want to

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

Here just compare.
https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Bosses
https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bosses

There are 32 bosses in DS2, vs DS3's 19.

DS2's list includes a giant rat twice.

I know I'm being a dickhead here, because I'm contributing to the repetitive DS2 conversation by saying the same thing I say every time, but all the same I just really can't let this slide;

The rat king covenant is the best part of any game I've ever played. I can't have you reducing this to a "lol two rats" insult without sticking up for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

undertale is old enough to be a furry dad game

Furry Uncle Game surely

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

dr_rat posted:

Just going to put out there, there are far, far more RPG's with terrible plots than great ones.

A lot of RPG's have writing that's just, um I don't want to be to harsh and say really poor, but I mean yeah. Often just over relying on tropes, and endless copying of characters and plot points.

Although that is sort of just media in general. Turns out doing good and interesting original work is hard!

almost all media is derivative and bad, but as long as it's enjoyable for what it is, it's kind of beside the point. really good stuff doesn't come along that often. most people have awful taste.

the goal is to have fun and consume the media you like so there's usually no point in harping on it or telling people that the things they like are stupid. people like what they like.

except anime, all anime is stupid and only exists because tiddies. (cowboy bebop notwithstanding)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Just going to put out there, there are far, far more RPG's with terrible plots than great ones.

A lot of RPG's have writing that's just, um I don't want to be to harsh and say really poor, but I mean yeah. Often just over relying on tropes, and endless copying of characters and plot points.

It's not even close, especially in these days where there are studios in Japan dedicated to pumping them out faster than you can imagine. Even back in the heyday of the JRPG, they were over 80% total garbage. The US was generally only getting the very best of them so you can just imagine how bad the rest were.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

there aren't any video games with good plots

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Although that is sort of just media in general. Turns out doing good and interesting original work is hard!

Lmao did you think this was groundbreaking info or something?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Command and conquer red alert 3 :colbert:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

no sorry

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

*checks thread title

Yup, checks out.

"Dis gun's heavy"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Whether or not that's true it's clear the actors were all having a blast making it.

Plus it gave us this incredible moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Silent Hill 2 is the closest and would make a pretty good Outer Limits episode (the 90s one)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Silent Hill 2 is the closest

:hmmyes:

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

*chuckles* it's seams some one hasn't heard of sould reaver...

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

!Klams posted:

I know I'm being a dickhead here, because I'm contributing to the repetitive DS2 conversation by saying the same thing I say every time, but all the same I just really can't let this slide;

The rat king covenant is the best part of any game I've ever played. I can't have you reducing this to a "lol two rats" insult without sticking up for it.

Agreed. DS2 had the best PvP if only because of things like the rat covenant.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

FFTA.

Marche is the best antagonist I've ever played.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ravus Ursus posted:

FFTA.

Marche is the best antagonist I've ever played.

That's the game where you put your brother where he belongs (back in a wheelchair) right?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Yes.

It also has the bullies from the opening fight reappear later as zombies.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If bioshock infinite had japanese subtitles, half this forum would consider it the greatest game of all time, lmao

:lol: i sat on that game for like a year and a half as a :airquote: Reward :airquote: while I very lazily finished my CCNP

:lol::lmao: in the sense that its an FPS with an inventory system and spells, its a *-shock game, but wow it suuuuuuuuuuucks

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I played BioShock after playing the original Nier and man. The side by side of those stories and gameplay was jarring.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if i found FF tactics too talky and a bit too unforgiving, would i like tactics advance or the third one?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

roomtone posted:

if i found FF tactics too talky and a bit too unforgiving, would i like tactics advance or the third one?

Tactics advance is a little easier and a little less talky, so maybe

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
FFTA plays totally fine but god drat if isekai isn’t the worst story type ever. If it’s not low quality wish fulfillment, then it’s a way to bog down a fantasy story by making it all about getting out of fantasy land.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Whether or not that's true it's clear the actors were all having a blast making it.

Plus it gave us this incredible moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

I was joking, c&c games have terrible plots. But yeah I was thinking of that precise moment. Tim Curry's greatest role. It's so stupid and he chews that line up and spits it out. Totally worth the price of admission.

Game is pretty good too ya know.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

emSparkly posted:

FFTA plays totally fine but god drat if isekai isn’t the worst story type ever. If it’s not low quality wish fulfillment, then it’s a way to bog down a fantasy story by making it all about getting out of fantasy land.

how dare they bog down some generic af fantasy story by actually making it interesting

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

fridge corn posted:

how dare they bog down some generic af fantasy story by actually making it interesting

I’d rather an actually interesting fantasy story instead of Marche wrecking a plane of reality so that his friend has to go back to being wheelchair bound.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

emSparkly posted:

I’d rather an actually interesting fantasy story instead of Marche wrecking a plane of reality so that his friend has to go back to being wheelchair bound.

Give me an example of an interesting fantasy story

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm an idiot so I disliked FFTA because I was too dumb to figure out the buttons on the dumbass GBA that didn't have enough drat buttons and thought FFTA2 was way better because it had more buttons. I wish I were joking.

There may be a hint of annoyance that it isn't just the FFT system but a sequel or the judges thing but nah, that was all fine, it was the buttons that did it for me.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

emSparkly posted:

That was his brother he was putting back in a wheel chair and he was trying to say that he, Marche, also suffered because all of the attention and benefits went to his brother and he had to give up things like ?? And ??? For his brother's benefit.

Also the snowball fight in the beginning has rocks in the snowball and that's some seasonally appropriate violence so I don't know what to tell you. FFTA is a masterclass in villain design.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escaping to a fantasy world where you can walk is bad, says someone who is also going to force a kid to go back with his drunken abusive father.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cosmik Debris posted:

I was joking, c&c games have terrible plots. But yeah I was thinking of that precise moment. Tim Curry's greatest role. It's so stupid and he chews that line up and spits it out. Totally worth the price of admission.

Game is pretty good too ya know.

I thought the game was ok but I didn't like the upgraded graphics. The explosions look terrible to me because of how bright they are and that they seem to darken everything around them.

The water physica are great but the water is so sensitive it also becomes a jumbled visual mess that makes it hard to tell what's going on.

I also wasn't a fan of every unit having an active ability. Made it too micro intensive when C and C is more about macro.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fridge corn posted:

Give me an example of an interesting fantasy story

they should be on a quest to throw some kind of personal jewelry item into a volcano imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The really hosed up part about Marche's actions in FFTA wasn't even dragging his brother back to reality, but the fact that the game made it pretty clear that all the characters in the "fantasy" land they're in are actually sentient, not just a figment of the brothers' imagination or something. Near the end I remember one of them expressing anxiety over the prospect of oblivion and Marche is just like "welp, see ya!"

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Right but all the people in St Ivalice were turned into bunny girls and lizard men and zombies against their will. So what right do these people have to live over those other people?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At this point I don't know if the FFTA revisionists are trolling or just completely braindead.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I loathe isekai. But damned if I don’t respect it for finally killing the trope in fantasy stories of “No you should leave all your new friends and spiritually fulfilling life behind and be a good little capitalist peasant working minimum wage at McDonald’s.”

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I loathe isekai. But damned if I don’t respect it for finally killing the trope in fantasy stories of “No you should leave all your new friends and spiritually fulfilling life behind and be a good little capitalist peasant working minimum wage at McDonald’s.”

quote:

Foiled by a hero when he’s inches away from conquering the world, the devil finds himself in modern-day Tokyo. With no real-world skills to speak of, the devil is forced to make ends meet flipping burgers at a fast food joint! To stall any further plans of world domination, the hero tracks the devil’s trail and takes on the lowly tasks of a telemarketer.

I guess there's enough fast food jobs that a peasant can have one too.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 24, 2023

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I'm going back to try and play FF games because I haven't finished/played them all and I have to say, a lot of them are really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if a video game story supports the gameplay and makes it more interesting and the situations more compelling then its good. Everything you do in a video game is part of the story, not jsut the cutscenes and dialogue. If you're killing zombies or you're killing demons, they can be very different experiences even if the monsters do the exact same thing. Its like how 50 Cent Blood on the Sand is more fun because you're 50 Cent trying to recover a diamond skull compared to if you were just a military guy.