Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OgNar posted:

Tinybuild, owners of Versus Evil, publishers of Banner Saga, POE2 Deadfire, Mothergunship among others.
Lays off entire team days before xmas.
Hooray for corporate ownership.

I don't know these people or play their games, but I really don't know who I'm supposed to root for here?

Wikipedia diving says:
On February 8, 2021, the Nintendo Switch port of Pillars of Eternity was abandoned by Versus Evil while still containing significant bugs, with no refunds offered.[12] - Some wikipedia editor's still bitter, lol
In November 2021, tinyBuild acquired Versus Evil and Red Cerberus.[13] On December 22, 2023, a few weeks after Escalante left the company, tinyBuild laid off all Versus Evil staff.[14][15] - Escalante being the founder follow apparently.
And TinyBuild's "corporate ownership" is owned & ran by one guy who founded the company.

Firing people just before Xmas is a very deliberate move, how bad did they piss off their owner-boss?
edit: Oh they're a PUBLISHER, not a developer. I'm not gonna shed any tears over corporate middlemen who control purse strings getting bought out then having their purse strings cut.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
A few days ago people were talking about Avernum: Escape From the Pit itt. Is the one that's on Steam the good version? I couldn't remember if i read that maybe GOG had a better version or something.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/Avernum_Escape_From_the_Pit/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kragger99 posted:

A few days ago people were talking about Avernum: Escape From the Pit itt. Is the one that's on Steam the good version? I couldn't remember if i read that maybe GOG had a better version or something.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/Avernum_Escape_From_the_Pit/

Jeff Vogel released Avernum 3 times

1) As Exile
2) As Avernum, it's only on GOG or direct from his website. This is the version I played and raved about and wrote a wall of text about.
3) As Avernum Escape from the Pit, the one on steam. It's more streamlined. I think it's good, but it's different. I think you could have a good time with it.

That said... Vogel made Avernum 4-6 but did not remake them, so they're in the old engine (#2 in my list). I don't know how good they are yet, but if you play #3 and want the second trilogy it will feel like a downgrade.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jeff Vogel released Avernum 3 times

1) As Exile
2) As Avernum, it's only on GOG or direct from his website. This is the version I played and raved about and wrote a wall of text about.
3) As Avernum Escape from the Pit, the one on steam. It's more streamlined. I think it's good, but it's different. I think you could have a good time with it.

That said... Vogel made Avernum 4-6 but did not remake them, so they're in the old engine (#2 in my list). I don't know how good they are yet, but if you play #3 and want the second trilogy it will feel like a downgrade.

Excellent, thank you so much for that! I think the Steam version might be perfect for me, unless most of the things that made you rave with '2)' are missing from it?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rebel Blob posted:

Maybe not a strong opinion, it's okay? The quick comparison is if you played Mutant: Year Zero or Corruption 2029, Miasma Chronicles is a slightly tweaked version of the exact same turn-based tactical combat. The gameplay is pretty much all in small or medium-sized combat areas with a slight puzzle element, as you start off each map in stealth and need to eliminate as many isolated enemies as possible before attacking the core group, or you will be overwhelmed. There are some light RPG elements, with towns, sidequests, and character leveling. It looks pretty good, the setting is interesting, but the writing is weak. My main point is to get Miasma Chronicles if you like the core tactical gameplay, there isn't some redeeming quality outside of that.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden has a demo and the combat is very similar, if you'd like to check it out.

I do have Mutant: Year Zero so I know the basic gameplay, but if it's not really a big improvement then I may as well finally grab the DLC for MYZ instead and put my main sale budget elsewhere. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Thanks!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

LLSix posted:

Wylde Flowers has a demo. I suspect you'd like it better than either Dinkum or Harvestella.

I never hear people talk about this game, but it's my wife's favorite of all the farming games she has played. It has a stupid amount of content with a very lengthy story that is full voiced. She always shakes her head when she went from playing that little indie game with lots of voice acting to the big Square one with basically none.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I never hear people talk about this game, but it's my wife's favorite of all the farming games she has played. It has a stupid amount of content with a very lengthy story that is full voiced. She always shakes her head when she went from playing that little indie game with lots of voice acting to the big Square one with basically none.

Fwiw Wylde Flowers is also free on Apple Arcade if you have it just want to give it a try.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Gonna splurge and buy Seikro, RE4R, and Nioh 2 this sale.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sub-$10 games that are in my GOTY list:

Cache Grabbers
($4.99) - Quirky very indie goon-made game about triangulating treasure location by finding and pointing to beacons in each level.
Corn Kidz 64 ($5.59) - Solid, technical 3D platformer by the creator of Lyle in Cube Sector
Diluvian Ultra ($7.99) - When it works properly, it's a very quirky sci-fi retro shooter with bugs for weapons and extremely crunchy (and crunched) audio. Had a softlock issue that seems to have been fixed in the latest patch? The bugginess is the biggest problem right now.
Dread Templar ($9.99) - Fun if unspectacular retro-FPS, sort of the 'meat and potatoes' release of the many shooters that came out this year
Elephantasy: Flipside ($5.99) - Soulstice from the NES, mixed with the item rental system of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Highly addictive, sometimes confusing and hard to progress
Final Profit: A Shop RPG ($9.74) - Shopkeeping story game that punches above its RPG Maker weight with some decent depth and plenty of upgrades.
Homebody ($9.99) - Timeloop survival horror puzzle game with feelings. a bit janky but well directed
Lingo ($4.99) - The Witness for Wordplay. has a second campaign level now as well as workshop support with fun user made levels
Misericorde Vol 1 ($5.39) - kinetic VN about gay disaster nuns living chaotically in a remote monastery in the 1400s
Paquerette Down the Bunburrows ($9.89) - if Void Stranger wasn't enough, here's another puzzle game that goes above and beyond the base content, though much cuter, but no less brainteasing
ProtoCorgi ($1.74) - Fun shmup inspired by Gradius and R-Type, I just didn't love the meta-progression aspect of having to unlock more max lives/continues
Pseudoregalia ($5.99) - Metroidvania 3d platformer with a non-linear design; find upgrades in whatever order you want and choose your own path through the castle.
Rhythm Sprout ($5.99) - A fun casual rhythm game with sick music
Skator Gator 3D ($3.74) - Cute 1-2 hr 3D platformer with rail grinding. Similar to Toree 3D
Sprawl ($7.49) - Decent retro-FPS that's sort of like if Turbo Overkill was dialed down from an 11 to a 6 or 7. Has wallrunning, vertical platforming areas, and bullet time.
The Bookwalker ($9.74) - The jankiest and more flawed on the list, but still an interesting mashup of first-person walking simulator and isometric adventure game with turn based battles
The Roottrees are Dead (Free) - This is a browser game you can google, it's like Return of the Obra Dinn but for a large family tree. Satisfying to solve and all the info you need is in the game. No need to guess.
Vividlope ($6.99) - a fantastic Dreamcast-styled maze running game, paint tiles while avoiding enemies and listening to chill beats
Wall World ($4.89) - Very addictive drilling/defense roguelite
Weird & Unfortunate Things are Happening (Free) - The rare indie RPG inspired by Earthbound that doesn't just flat out copy its art and tone, and instead does its own thing. The art is a bit webcomicy but I thought this was pretty solid, especially for a free game.
Zortch ($4.99) - An FPS going specifically for the look and feel of an N64 game, and it nails it, both good and bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Gonna splurge and buy Seikro, RE4R, and Nioh 2 this sale.

drat good selection.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I played a bunch of space games the last few months and some sale recommendations:

If people want 2D Star Control-ish games I'd recommend checking out Star Valor, 3030 Death War, Ring Runner, and Drox Operative 2. All are very cheap and worth trying (yes yes Starsector is great but it's not on Steam so not on sale). Star Valor has the best gameplay and has a solid upgrade/build system. 3030 has the better story and world building. Also features great music (the game became better when I realized I could take off the main character's dumb hat). Ring Runner is just a fun crazy rear end experimental shooter that's usually very cheap. Drox Operative is the usual Soldak craziness just in space.

If you want 3D then the best combat-oriented semi recent game is Everspace 2. It's a significant improvement over the first game and is no longer a roguelike. It's a joy to play and looks great though the combat is a bit more Descent than 90s space sim style. If you want a 90s sim style then I'd recommend grabbing Xwing Alliance and then use the excellent XWA mod to either play through the Alliance campaign or Tie Fighter both of which are fully playable and look great.

I played a bit of Chorus and it's not bad, but it doesn't really feel much like a space game. More like a Starfox game with a very detailed story. An edgier Starlink I guess. It seemed very good but I put it on the backburner for later.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jeff Vogel is a dev I deeply respect for sticking to his guns even if he's repackaged Avernum almost half as many times as Bethesda has resold Skyrim

And thats a lot

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chorvs mostly felt like Mass Effect to me. Except you look like a spaceship instead of a human.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
For farming RPGs, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is pretty dang good. You only farm rice but it's a pretty detailed rice farming simulation that goes through all the steps of planting, growing, and processing the rice. The combat is a decent 2d sidescrolling affair, and the rice farming directly powers you up as your main leveling mechanic.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 23, 2023

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Bought the Yakuza collection, just started yakuza kiwami (game is awesome). Also bought a couple of shmups (Gana-Blade and Drainus) and nioh 1. That's my gaming for the next 1 million hours covered

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Can definitely recommend RE2 if it's on sale BTW. Great survival horror game, and not too long either, so it's perfect for replays and challenge/speed runs.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I was tempted by the ninja gaiden collection but I think I'm going to wait for the price to hit rock bottom. I want to replay sigma 2 and apparently there's even some sick remix/black mods for it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

I was tempted by the ninja gaiden collection but I think I'm going to wait for the price to hit rock bottom. I want to replay sigma 2 and apparently there's even some sick remix/black mods for it

You should not buy that for a dollar.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Bought the Yakuza collection, just started yakuza kiwami (game is awesome). Also bought a couple of shmups (Gana-Blade and Drainus) and nioh 1. That's my gaming for the next 1 million hours covered

Have you already played Yakuza 0? I think you could make argument for either Kiwami or Y0 for first in play order, but if you're going Kiwami first definitely do 0 before 2, it's a sick prequel

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would say 0 makes Kiwami make a whole lot more sense with Kiryu’s backstory with the villain. It’s probably worth playing before it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kragger99 posted:

Excellent, thank you so much for that! I think the Steam version might be perfect for me, unless most of the things that made you rave with '2)' are missing from it?

Yeah, go ahead and get the steam version! It's really down to personal preference at this point and Avernum is absolutely worth playing!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Touhou Mystia's Izakaya just got an English translation for the fourth DLC, although the translation for DLC3 had some errors when it was first released.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I played a bunch of space games the last few months and some sale recommendations:

If people want 2D Star Control-ish games I'd recommend checking out Star Valor, 3030 Death War, Ring Runner, and Drox Operative 2. All are very cheap and worth trying (yes yes Starsector is great but it's not on Steam so not on sale). Star Valor has the best gameplay and has a solid upgrade/build system. 3030 has the better story and world building. Also features great music (the game became better when I realized I could take off the main character's dumb hat). Ring Runner is just a fun crazy rear end experimental shooter that's usually very cheap. Drox Operative is the usual Soldak craziness just in space.

If you want 3D then the best combat-oriented semi recent game is Everspace 2. It's a significant improvement over the first game and is no longer a roguelike. It's a joy to play and looks great though the combat is a bit more Descent than 90s space sim style. If you want a 90s sim style then I'd recommend grabbing Xwing Alliance and then use the excellent XWA mod to either play through the Alliance campaign or Tie Fighter both of which are fully playable and look great.

I played a bit of Chorus and it's not bad, but it doesn't really feel much like a space game. More like a Starfox game with a very detailed story. An edgier Starlink I guess. It seemed very good but I put it on the backburner for later.

I was actually looking for a 2D space truckin' game, so thanks for this! Have you played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1750770/Starcom_Unknown_Space/ and how does that compare to Star Valor?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LLSix posted:

Chorvs mostly felt like Mass Effect to me. Except you look like a spaceship instead of a human.

Uhh...it's a cover shooter where you gently caress aliens?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Since people are buying a bunch of stuff, it is a good time for a reminder you can use Steamdb's Free Packages script to quickly get all the free DLC available for your games.

https://steamdb.info/freepackages/

:siren: Make sure to press the link where it says "If you want to only view content for your owned games, click here to only show these." :siren:

You can use that page to get a lot of free goodies. Most of the time they are the usual things like a free soundtrack or artbook but sometimes you also get "hidden", promotional DLC not displayed on the store page. I just got one of the five Kickstarter exclusive packs available for My Time At Portia, for example.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...it's a cover shooter where you gently caress aliens?

I think in chorvs you gently caress ships.

*uhura voice* the thing's gotta have a tailpipe

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Burning Rain posted:

I was actually looking for a 2D space truckin' game, so thanks for this! Have you played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1750770/Starcom_Unknown_Space/ and how does that compare to Star Valor?

Yes that one is pretty good and has a decent custom ship building system. It does mean there are no distinct ships to fly just different ways you can glue poo poo together. The gameplay is solid but I don’t like there is no way to turn off the inertia dampening (you slow down when you release forward unlike Sc2, asteroids, etc). Star Valor does have this and a variety of ships with difference between them along with plenty of customization.

Star Valor is also a free roaming Escape Velocity Nova type where Starcom you are locked into a specific story with free roaming aspects. I also think SV controls better.

However for space trucking I think 3030 is better than either. It’s way more atmospheric with a living universe of ships around and distinct locations rather than procedural soup. It has a trading system with dynamic event driven price changes. It also has a lot of non combat gameplay to do while trucking. Your fuel usage matters and there’s different ways to optimize fuel usage on journeys and there are dynamic space hazards to avoid or utilize to speed up.

It also has the best writing of all these with a solid plot and plenty of world details. Though I thought it started a little awkward. A lot of the story is told through a mini weird 90s adventure game glued on that works better than I expected. It also has the best music with occasional actual music with vocals. Lots of little graphical details like space signs and graffiti on station terminals too.

I think the combat gameplay isn’t near as good as SV but it does basically everything else better. A real labor of love people should check out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
oh, missed a part, nm

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Det_no posted:

Since people are buying a bunch of stuff, it is a good time for a reminder you can use Steamdb's Free Packages script to quickly get all the free DLC available for your games.

https://steamdb.info/freepackages/

:siren: Make sure to press the link where it says "If you want to only view content for your owned games, click here to only show these." :siren:

You can use that page to get a lot of free goodies. Most of the time they are the usual things like a free soundtrack or artbook but sometimes you also get "hidden", promotional DLC not displayed on the store page. I just got one of the five Kickstarter exclusive packs available for My Time At Portia, for example.

Hey thanks for this! I'm a sucker for cosmetic DLCs and I had quite a few to claim.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm going to recommend Aliens: Dark Descent as my 'not worth it full price but def pick up at sale' nominee. It isn't brilliant and it has some jank to it, but it's an interesting game that dares to do something a bit different.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Reposting this question..

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Speaking of [Divinity Original Sin 2] is there any good resources online for build guides? I’m going for this melee-focused Warfare character and would to see more information on how people build that kind of character. Like sword and shield vs. dual wield vs. 2hander , etc.

I’ve found fextralife build guides, but surely there something better than that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I’ve found fextralife build guides, but surely there something better than that?

I don't think there are good resources for that. DOS2's system is pretty lenient and allows you to build pretty much whatever as well, so there's less need to look up builds.
You'd be perfectly fine just dumping your ability points into anything, as long as you buy available skills book.

For making a Warfare focused character I'd say look into splashing either into Polymorph, which will give you a buttload of utility and attacks that will scale from your Strength, or Necromancy, which will heal the character as they do damage and provide access to more interesting buffs.

Your choice of weapon should depend on what kind of character you want to make.
Two-handers do the most damage, and will thus self-heal more if you go the Necromancy route, while Sword and Shield will make you more tanky and give you access to specific skills that require the shield, such as Shield Throw, which are pretty good.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 23, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Probably for the best to ask in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790934

But for a general thing, basically almost everyone wants Warfare so it's more of a question of Warfare + what. For heavy melee, I was using Fane with Necro+Warfare, which had him heal from blood pools and cast various spells to not die or to massively increase damage while on low health. But all my other characters pumped up warfare, because the bonus damage you get from its passive is really good. For 2h vs shield, it's just a case of whether you like the skills or not. I didn't care much for shield skills, so I went 2H.

The way DOS2 works, most of your characters will be dipping a bit in various skill lines, if only to get a teleport. Every character having his own teleport skill is a massive game changer. Dipping in Scoundrel to get Adrenaline is also convenient. Note that various items gives bonuses in various skill trees, so those low-tier skills can be learned/used even without investing level up points. Of maybe you can invest points (and if you did invest points but later regret that you did because you found an item which buffs that skill tree, you can always respec).

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 23, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good point.
Pro tip for DOS2 is to dip 2 points of Scoundrel on every character just to get Adrenaline, Cloak and Dagger (teleport), and Pawn (feat that gives you free movement).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Eh, not a big fan of Pawn, I love Executioner and they're mutually exclusive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Eh, not a big fan of Pawn, I love Executioner and they're mutually exclusive.

I prefer Pawn because it's more consistent AP "gain".
Executioner will give you 2AP whenever you might be able to kill an enemy, and if you kill two of them you will waste it.
Pawn will basically give you 1 AP every turn, because there's almost always a slightly better place for you to reposition to.

DOS2 is also one of those rare games where death is not the best form of CC, so rushing to kill enemies is less important than making sure they aren't able to act.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Death Must Die is extremely compulsive and has a high level of polish for a survivorlike. It even has voice acting! The influence of Hades is very noticeable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I'm going to recommend Aliens: Dark Descent as my 'not worth it full price but def pick up at sale' nominee. It isn't brilliant and it has some jank to it, but it's an interesting game that dares to do something a bit different.

Agreed, I never finished it but I liked the time i spent with it. I didn’t bounce off for any real reason either, just got distracted and never picked it back up.

It seems like a good proof of concept for how a real time xcom clone could work and I hope more games rip it off. The way you control the squad primarily as a unit while still executing individual specialist commands felt really intuitive for the most part, my least favorite thing with this type of game is trying to remember who has what weapon/skill and selecting/positioning them in the heat of battle. By making everything center around the squad as a single/the only unit, I think it got around this problem in a way that felt very good (so for example, rather than choosing the guy with the shotgun, you just use the shotgun skill and the command view automatically selects a unit with a shotgun and displays their cone of fire).

It might be annoying to people who actually prefer positioning individual units, but it felt good to me and I hope we see more of it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yes that one is pretty good and has a decent custom ship building system. It does mean there are no distinct ships to fly just different ways you can glue poo poo together. The gameplay is solid but I don’t like there is no way to turn off the inertia dampening (you slow down when you release forward unlike Sc2, asteroids, etc). Star Valor does have this and a variety of ships with difference between them along with plenty of customization.

Star Valor is also a free roaming Escape Velocity Nova type where Starcom you are locked into a specific story with free roaming aspects. I also think SV controls better.

However for space trucking I think 3030 is better than either. It’s way more atmospheric with a living universe of ships around and distinct locations rather than procedural soup. It has a trading system with dynamic event driven price changes. It also has a lot of non combat gameplay to do while trucking. Your fuel usage matters and there’s different ways to optimize fuel usage on journeys and there are dynamic space hazards to avoid or utilize to speed up.

Great info, thanks! I do like weird genre mixes, but 3030 looked 90s as hell so I didn't really consider it seriously, but all of that does sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Never played a Forza game before so I snagged Forza Horizon 5. Holy crap what a rush!
:stare:

:rice: