Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Random Stranger posted:

I think that could have worked, but I get why they'd decide against it. But no matter how ugly it turned out, it wouldn't have been worse than the clock opening. That one was just bland.

I remember Moffat talking about how he'd found the fan video they based it off and being blown away, wondering how no one had ever done it before.

Because its poo poo Moffat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone here do Big Finish? They got a pretty good catalog, honestly. I have recently been listening to their 11th Doctor Chronicles Volume 3 to 6. That stars Jacob Dudman as an amazing Matt Smith impression and Safiyya Ingar as Valorie Lockwood. The idea is that it is an unofficial Series 7c. It takes place between "Angels In Manhattan" and the "Snowmen." It follows the Doctor's search for Clara Oswald. So far, each of the volumes have had one or two banger stories per boxset. And the others are just forgettable at worse. So, kind of standard for a series of Moffat Doctor Who. They really get the way Moffat writers down, in a good and bad way. There is Moffat's tendency to undo deaths in it so far, but I'm okay with that since the season opening is so brutal. Overall, it's honestly been really strong so far. I'm about to start Volume 5, which just came out. It does feel like a one-off series that just kind of happened off-screen. If you liked the 11th Doctor, I highly recommend it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Big... What-ish?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I remember Moffat talking about how he'd found the fan video they based it off and being blown away, wondering how no one had ever done it before.

Like many things Doctor Who, I loved it and can't understand everybody's problem with it.

Though I liked the fan's take on it better, rough edges be damned. It was just more bombastic and enthusiastic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

I recently made a video that required a brief shot of a Doctor Who intro as a joke, and landed on Twelve's for a reason I'd never considered, that I'm sure never occurred to Moffat either, but it's an undeniable strength:

It's the only New Who intro that's immune to Death By Bitrate. Every single other one, including the Tennant Again intro, is drat near indecipherable if the quality's low enough (or the shot's too quick).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Covok posted:

Anyone here do Big Finish?

Not recently due to time constraints. But yes..... so much. So much :stonklol:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rochallor posted:

Big... What-ish?

Under the chance this isn't a bit, Big Finish is a british audio-drama company founded by a former Doctor Who Fan Film maker that has the official license to make Doctor Who audio dramas. They have been running since the Wilderness Years. They are primarily why anyone likes the 8th Doctor as he, alongside side the 7th, 6th, and 5th, were their main features for their "monthly adventures lines." Since then, the 4th, 9th, and 10th Doctor has joined. They have good impersonators for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 11th Doctor, as well as impersonators for all the Doctors if the main actor can't make it. They have so-so impersonators for the 12th Doctor. Yeah, that one can be rough and when Tenant can't make it his impersonator is a bit rough too. It's actually Jacob Dudman, who is mainly their really loving good 11th Doctor impersonator doing triple duty.

They have long since abandoned the monthly adventure line and instead do themed boxsets. For older doctors, this tends to be one long story like a serial. For the new who Doctors, this tends to be a bunch of thematically related stories. Sometimes, they do "seasons" where a bunch of box sets come together at a specific point in time to be like a missing season of the show. Big Finish's quality fluctuates but they generally make drat good work. Honestly, the biggest complaint with them is they produce "a lot" because they release a box set monthly and Doctor Who is their biggest IP. They have other IPs so Doctor Who isn't the only one up to bat every month, but it comes up the most often. Especially because they do every spin-off idea imaginable.

A UNIT TV Show? They have multiple with different eras. Stories just about the companions a la the Sarah Jane adventures? Yep, they got that. And sometimes their box set ideas are just REALLY out there. After doing roughly 172 episodes with the 8th Doctor, they decided to do one where...he loses the TARDIS in modern day london and has to adjust to life during COVID while renting a flat and slowly losing his mind. That's one called Stranded and it has a love-hate reception. They also tend to fill in blanks that don't always need filling in. Sure, they did Sharda and gave the 6th Doctor a proper regeneration that made Colin Baker extremely happy, but they also demystified the Time War by doing multiple series on it. Some of which are extremely good, like "Only the Monstrous", but it does show that it was probably better unexplained. Also, their cost can be a bit much since each boxset goes for about 30 USD and that can add-up. But, they go on steep price declines after a year or two.

If you want to get into it, spotify has the first 50 of their monthly adventure line free with ads here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2PKm8aJ43kvEqtzTmggKdn

If you want to see other stuff they make, here is their website: https://www.bigfinish.com/

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I really tried to get into the 11th doctor chronicles but I couldn't get past Jacob Dudmans impersonation. I mean it's not terrible ie nick briggs 9th but it was just different enough to continuously take me out.
He might have improved with later seasons though!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Here is a recent trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVO45Tykn8

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Some of the fan-made stuff is incredible, though. I wish Moffat or Davies had noticed this one and gave us this kind of shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEjx6XUbfQ

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Wolfechu posted:

Some of the fan-made stuff is incredible, though. I wish Moffat or Davies had noticed this one and gave us this kind of shot.

That is incredible stuff.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I've recently started my relisten-through of Big Finish again, my aim is to get to where I stopped listening, which was shortly after the first couple Fourth Doctor Adventures, sort of 2013 or 2014 ish. I'm skipping the ones I remember as bad or the ones that don't really add anything.

Currently up to Arrangements for War and then the first season of Gallifrey.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wolfechu posted:

Maybe now that they have Disney+ level budgets they can do cool effects like this

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Maybe now that they have Disney+ level budgets they can do cool effects like this

Actually, looking at his channel, it looks like they hired him some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwevZzjptYg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I believe that's the guy who designed Thirteen's opening credits and her Time Vortex, as well as all those episode effects. They were partly inspired by this fan shot he did:

https://youtu.be/rmN91yn3kQ0

I really liked the look of all of his stuff, it was one of the best parts of that era. Lots of fractals and lots and lots of colour and a sort of ethereal fantastic feel to it all. And his generic flickery energy things seem nicer and better looking than other generic flickery energy things.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 23, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I think Thirteen’s intro and theme tune was the only creative decision I unequivocally loved from that era.

Though the amount of particle effects were a problem for streaming, as mentioned.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Covok posted:

Under the chance this isn't a bit, Big Finish is a british audio-drama company

If you want to see other stuff they make, here is their website: https://www.bigfinish.com/

Heh, if you haven't noticed yet - welcome home, friend!

Most of the Big Finish chat appears between episodes, but you should find plenty of it here.

I wanted to mention but forgot - on a bf note. The latest eighth doctor release is a Christmas theme has Charley, and of course makes a plumb pudding joke

Speaking of, time to do my yearly listen of Chimes this weekend woo!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

I wanted to mention but forgot - on a bf note. The latest eighth doctor release is a Christmas theme has Charley, and of course makes a plumb pudding joke

Yeah that set's pretty decent, except the finale forgetting how to write for Audacity.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Matinee posted:

I think Thirteen’s intro and theme tune was the only creative decision I unequivocally loved from that era.

Though the amount of particle effects were a problem for streaming, as mentioned.

“Make the 1963 intro but modern”, for both the theme and the vfx, had been something I’d wanted the show to do for a while. And they nailed it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My beloved Chefs are playing the detestible Raiders opposite the episode release so i have to wait three hours to watch it Xmas is ruined...

:v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saw a video today of Gatwa talking about his Doctor's look and learning his hair is dyed a shade of blue.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also his moustache is fake because “I’ve just spent 4 years playing a teenager”. :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Also his moustache is fake because “I’ve just spent 4 years playing a teenager”. :allears:

How is he THIRTY ONE?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He’s officially the first new Doctor who is younger than me. It was gonna happen some day…

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to Night Terrors in my watchthrough and I can only assume there was some sort of BBC regulation in the late 2000s/early 2010s which said that every Doctor Who needed to have at least one episode riffing on that Twilight Zone concept of "child banishes people into other realm/state of being when they are emotionally perturbed" because goodness me it's like Fear Her 2: Actually Fear Him Instead, right down to how in both cases the child actor in question is in no sense ready to deliver the sort of performance the episode is asking them to provide. (Did they dub some of the kid's lines? Some of them sound like an adult putting on a little child voice.)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah that set's pretty decent, except the finale forgetting how to write for Audacity.

Was I alone in being absolutely annoyed by Audacity's personality? It felt like it was speed running through companion themes that had already been beaten to death years ago, and her constant complaining about "society"[my words, not hers...I think, I zoned out a lot of her monologues) felt like a constant stream of "holier than thou" condescension. Maybe that was the point, but boy would I have enjoyed those stories a bit more with a different companion.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's been so lovely having Charley back and while I agree that Audacity definitely has that historic companion clichés a plenty having two companions from the past has been great and I really enjoy their chemistry together. They could tone the smugness level down just a bit though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I did not pick up on the fact that Audacity is a character's name and thought you were just complaining about the audio mixing as of late.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I didn't watch The Giggle until yesterday (because we don't have a TV license and so had to wait to get to my mum's for christmas) but that was some proper RTDing, for all of its good and bad. Lots of good, though.

Re: the earlier Weeping Angel discussion, the idea that you couldn't then time travel (Mawdryn Undead style) after getting got wouldn't work inside continuity, because the Doctor and Martha getting got is why the TARDIS is in the future to begin with in Blink

Rochallor posted:

Fun fact that highlights this: Tom Cruise is currently older than William Hartnell when he started playing the Doctor.

Tennant's only 18 months or so younger

PriorMarcus posted:

... Really?

I can honestly say that this episode is tied with others for the worse of the revival for me, and it's far and away the worst of the Christmas specials. Absolute dreck.

I watched it (having not seen it at the time) after catching up on Jodie for a video I'm making on the flavour of the Magic The Gathering Doctor Who cards and in comparison it was a solid 8/10, it had actual coherent story, plot and characterisation!

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I’ve enjoyed catching up on Whittaker’s run. It’s a very different take on Who with different sensibilities. I can absolutely see how a lot of people bounced hard off of it (like me initially), and there are some big dumb swings in there…but I don't think it's awful.

If RTD and Moffat's quality swung between a 3/10 and an 11/10, Chibnall just seems to be happy with a consistent 6 or 7.

As I've said before, I disagree entirely - Chibnall's episodes have this dream like quality in a pejorative sense, where nothing flows between bits but everything acts like it's all sensible events. Even watching the better episodes make me incredibly frustrated with the whole thing.

Rochallor posted:

I did not pick up on the fact that Audacity is a character's name and thought you were just complaining about the audio mixing as of late.

I would like to complain about the audio mixing, some of the first two specials were only intelligible with subtitles

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

I KNEW IT

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pinwiz11 posted:

My beloved Chefs are playing the detestible Raiders opposite the episode release so i have to wait three hours to watch it Xmas is ruined...

:v:

The Chefs? I didn't know the Chiefs were that banged up to be starting their caterers...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As I've said before, I disagree entirely - Chibnall's episodes have this dream like quality in a pejorative sense, where nothing flows between bits but everything acts like it's all sensible events. Even watching the better episodes make me incredibly frustrated with the whole thing.

This is a very good way of putting it. It all has a kind of floaty, ephemeral quality. It's all just curiously weightless

McGann
May 19, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The Chefs? I didn't know the Chiefs were that banged up to be starting their caterers...

Now I'm expecting some sort of Patrick Mahomes cameo. That would delight at least...7 or 8 people, I imagine!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

McGann posted:

Now I'm expecting some sort of Patrick Mahomes cameo. That would delight at least...7 or 8 people, I imagine!

Based on the Statefarm adverts I want Andy Reid as the Doctor with Mahomes companion

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
At Home With Baker Mayfield In The Tardis.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've just had a thought, and I think I'm misremembering, but how does the Doctor remember Clara?

When the Toymaker says she was killed by a bird The Doctor shouldn't remember he being alive, right?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

PriorMarcus posted:

I've just had a thought, and I think I'm misremembering, but how does the Doctor remember Clara?

When the Toymaker says she was killed by a bird The Doctor shouldn't remember he being alive, right?

He got his memories back in Twice Upon a Time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McGann posted:

New wide receiver corp, that's weird.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

This is a very good way of putting it. It all has a kind of floaty, ephemeral quality. It's all just curiously weightless
For real. OP's assessment really hit the nail on the head. You kind of go with everything in the moment, but just like the aforementioned dreams that make little sense once you add them up into a whole later, they just unexist from your mind shortly thereafter. It's bananas.

I will never forgive that man for wasting Jodie Whittaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think if Chibnall's run had been a few years later, we'd all be squinting at it suspiciously as if AI wrote it. I think it was The_Doctor or Jerusalem on here that compared the two, the initial rush of exciting ideas that gradually go nowhere as the AI forgets where the story actually started.