Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Add me to the 'Opeth rules' list, although I haven't listened to any of their newer stuff so perhaps I've avoided any risk of disappointment with the changes to their style

Opeth and Malazan: Book of the Fallen are inextricably linked for me - a combination of long commutes on public transport, podcasting not being a thing at the time, and having trashy taste in books :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I haven't really listened to anything new this year except the new Tetragrammacide, which is awesome. I've mostly been listening to old Nile, Immolation, Incantation and Suffocation. No complaints.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

moxieman posted:

Probably because Mikael doesn’t do death vocals and their albums are less “heavy” now and metal nerds generally hate change and wrote them off after the Heritage album. They also haven’t put out an album in over four years now so there’s not much to talk about.

I loving love Opeth though.

Mikael kept bringing this up in interviews for a good long while after Heritage and it always sounded kind of whiny to me. I'm a total sucker for the retro prog type sound they started doing, and I listen to a bunch of bands in that vein. I just don't think Opeth is very good at it.

Watershed does rule though.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Hulk Krogan posted:

Mikael kept bringing this up in interviews for a good long while after Heritage and it always sounded kind of whiny to me. I'm a total sucker for the retro prog type sound they started doing, and I listen to a bunch of bands in that vein. I just don't think Opeth is very good at it.

Yeah it's funny because I was a huge prog nerd before I got into metal (thanks to Opeth, ironically) so I should have no problem with them going full 70's prog. The best kind of 70's prog has these playful and adventurous compositions and melodic life and dynamics in them. But Opeth doing it is just so goddamn boring. I feel like they were special because of the dynamics of proggy acoustic stuff mixed with heavier parts and death vocals and interesting songwriting. Now it's just this meandering and lifeless dad prog, and that's why I don't really care for them that much anymore. At the same time I wouldn't want them to go back to the heavier sound when they clearly don't feel it anymore. Doing that because of the demands from some fans would be even worse and when there's no heart in it, you can hear it immediately. Watershed already had a bit of that vibe.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

H13 posted:

Y'know, it's kinda weird how nobody really talks about Opeth anymore.

Early 2000s, they were the band. I mean then they went 70s prog and kinda suck (fight me) but you don't hear them get mentioned often despite how awesome Still LIfe, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries were.

It seemed to be a fashionable thing to throw an acoustic interlude into a really heavy song. Also with the ending of Deliverance or Harlequin Forest, I'm sure many prog nerds had their first brush with Djent which let's face it is basically: "Hey, let's take the ending of Deliverance and construct an entire genre around that type of riff"

I mean...those albums I mentioned still kick rear end but yeah you don't see them get mentioned as often as other bands like BOLT THROWER or Woods of Ypres and stuff.

its been so long since they’ve done metal that the first page of this thread has a joke to take them to the prog thread.

this thread started in 2011

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Also the thread leans more toward traditional death and black than melodic/progressive IMO, might have something to do with it.

Anyway, "Ghost of Perdition" was my partner's gateway to metal and now we listen to some truly wild poo poo together, thanks Mikael!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, “these dumb nerds just hate change” is one of the lower forms of artistic defense. People hate change when you stop making good music and change your sound to a style that you’re not as good at. When a band changes it up successfully they get lauded for eclecticism by the same nerds.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
there's already a porcupine tree mikael pls come back

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I have actually never given Opeth any kind of a fair shake. Prog metal can be real hit-or-miss for me and all the hype and Pink Floyd comps they were getting in the early 00s were a turn off, but the truth is I came to realize how much dorky-rear end enjoyment I was getting by just deflecting anyone in Fight Me mode, no matter what side of the fence they were on, just the startled double-blink you could get by just sidestepping the whole thing with some deflection like "Opeth? Yeah I just haven't gotten around to em yet." Bonus points for the setup:

quote:

"Yeah I just dusted off Wildhoney the other day and it blew my mind for the billionth time, god what a game-changer for me. Like if it wasn't for that poo poo I probly never would've gotten turned on to Porcupine Tree in the first place."
[*eagerly*] "So what'd you think of Blackwater Park?"
"Ehh I just don't have an opinion on it yet, I dunno. I've heard it once but was kinda distracted, didn't really grab me, it's hard to recall honestly. I should probably listen to it again. And don't they have another one that's supposed to be pretty good? I don't really follow the band at all"
[*owlish blinks of disbelief*]

Since then it's become like this weird/dumb private badge of distinction, though it doesn't really work anymore in the age of streaming, since I doubt anyone actually into prog could plausibly avoid em now for any period of time. I dunno how many there are of us who honestly and genuinely have zero opinion on Opeth, but it can't be that many. You reach a point where you've avoided em for so long it just becomes habit. Yes I'm probably missing out on several Opeth albums I would really enjoy, but there's about a billion excellent albums waiting for me out there that aren't by Opeth; why not just find one of those instead, rather than torch my irreplaceable NOpeth gimmick that's been a source of quiet trolly glee for so long?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

there's already a porcupine tree mikael pls come back

Took the now wife on a date for a Opeth and Porcupine Tree show cause the wife loved her some Opeth

It was a seated show

With tables

loving weird energy for a metal show

So Opeth went and played nothing but slow poo poo the entire set.

It was brutal in a bad way

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I saw Opeth shortly after the release of Ghost Reveries and it was a great show.

I next saw Opeth about 13 years later and... yikes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I saw Opeth for the Still Life tour. They were great. They are a completely different band now and I do not like what they changed into at all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s a bunch of things I liked from the past year

Gateway- Galgendood: I wish Galgendood was the band name rather than the album title, but it’s satisfying simple mid tempo death/doom stuff

https://youtu.be/qH6yQ0gUVsE?si=VaejjBehwFtLor34

Warkrusher- Armistice: Bolt Throwerish, but more inspired by the early punkier records

https://youtu.be/3FW_46Bl2Zc?si=_zydh0bSS9RWJ1so

Ossuary- Forsaken Offerings: more death doomyness, my kind of filth

https://youtu.be/_bDfLkCtGKs?si=Y3RQkqeQ5p7f9SXw

Stenched- Gorging on Mephitic Rot: what if Demilich was a D-beat band?

https://youtu.be/949epMsr7m8?si=3xp5IdYL3Vr1-e8O

Impetuous Ritual- Iniquitous Barbarik Synthesis: chaotic Portal-adjacent death. Some might say tech but that usually applies to stuff I don’t like so I’m not calling it that

https://youtu.be/B9UGufZWF7g?si=WZrPzhMHI3NRCY8a

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

stab posted:

Took the now wife on a date for a Opeth and Porcupine Tree show cause the wife loved her some Opeth

It was a seated show

With tables

Jesus Christ

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

stab posted:

It was a seated show

With tables

serenity painted desserts

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

stab posted:

It was a seated show

With tables

gently caress.

I mean on one hand, I get it. I get why Opeth aren't really current anymore ('cos of this like this), but there are plenty of bands who stopped making good music, or broke up or whatever that still get bought up or talked about in some sort of fashion.

I see In Flames mentioned a lot more than I see Opeth being mentioned.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Just catching up with the thread, recommendations for Moonlight Sorcery and Hellripper have been super loving on point.

Also god drat, "Infectious Jelqing." I think that I, too, am now a slam shawty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Morningrise through Watershed is one of the greatest runs in metal history. But yeah I also weirdly don't find myself thinking about Opeth much when it comes to my favorites. They just come on shuffle or whatever and I'm like "oh gently caress yeah, Opeth!"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've listened to all the opeth classics a couple of times and they never really clicked with me. the prog turn definitely didn't.

one of those bands that on paper i should like more than i actually do

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Southern Cassowary posted:

one of those bands that on paper i should like more than i actually do

:same:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dead Goon posted:

I'm not a huge Cannibal Corpse fan, or particularly knowledgable about their back catalogue, so I didn't really have anything to compare it to.

Not that anyone gives a crap, but I thought that each CC album from Kill onward, was better than the previous. I really enjoy the crushing riffs CC came up with on each album and thought they were pretty creative. Chaos Horrific isn't a bad album, but the songs/riffs seem somewhat generic this time around. I splurged and pre-ordered the vinyl thinking it was a "sure thing," so that makes it all the more disappointing.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i thought violence unimagined was fantastic and chaos horrific was merely pretty good so i can see being disappointed by it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
catch me at the show in an absu shirt with an opeth wristband

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

catch me at the show in an absu shirt with an opeth wristband

lol that's a deep cut

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

i thought violence unimagined was fantastic and chaos horrific was merely pretty good so i can see being disappointed by it

That's where I'm at as well. Being disappointed in a band's 16th album is kind of silly but they just put out maybe the best 15th album ever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'll be real I haven't listened to anything since Bloodthirst. What's worth checking out after that?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kill and Violence Imagined are exceptional

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Shoutout to this post, which is still the best one in this thread, even 5 years later.

Ha! I forget about this, then one of you gents bring it back up once a year. Merry Christmas my metal friends :).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

stab posted:

It was a seated show

With tables

Years ago my friend took me to see Porcupine Tree and it was seated and I was bored to tears. Robert Fripp opened with his refrigerator-sized rack playing what sounded like generative ambient and that was neat.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Snowy posted:

Stenched- Gorging on Mephitic Rot: what if Demilich was a D-beat band?

https://youtu.be/949epMsr7m8?si=3xp5IdYL3Vr1-e8O

Sounds like pitch-shifted Autopsy (non-derogatory)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
steven wilson is just concentrated fart huffing

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Years ago my friend took me to see Porcupine Tree and it was seated and I was bored to tears. Robert Fripp opened with his refrigerator-sized rack playing what sounded like generative ambient and that was neat.

Went to see Porcupine Tree last year at Radio City. Half the crowd was seated until Steven pulled a "Everyone should be loving standing" monologue halfway through the set.

Great show.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think Opeth should have basically changed their name to The Mikael Akerfeldt Project after Watershed, because it's essentially a different band. I listened to them religiously when I was in high school but the stuff post 2008 just doesn't grab me. If I want to listen to prog, I'll listen to Yes and Genesis!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes and Genesis rule

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Went to see Porcupine Tree last year at Radio City. Half the crowd was seated until Steven pulled a "Everyone should be loving standing" monologue halfway through the set.

Great show.

“Please clap.” -Steve Wilson

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Vargatron posted:

I think Opeth should have basically changed their name to The Mikael Akerfeldt Project after Watershed, because it's essentially a different band. I listened to them religiously when I was in high school but the stuff post 2008 just doesn't grab me. If I want to listen to prog, I'll listen to Yes and Genesis!

I'll just listen to Close to the Edge continuously as usual

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Merry Christmas from Deicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pj67ZU89i4

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just came across this quote the other day when I was researching Deicide's history:

"They’re a bunch of thirteen-year-old kids with smartphones that have nothing better to do than to go around hurting people’s feelings. I think they are the cancer of society that’s eating away at the goodness of our country and our moral integrity. They are immature and arrogant. When I was growing up, I was told if you have nothing bad to say about something don’t say it at all. If you want to go around saying rotten, horrible things about people you’ve never met then whatever. I can honestly say I don’t read reviews. I don’t read interviews. I don’t read Blabbermouth. I don’t read any of that poo poo. I watch Fox Channel 13 news, that’s it. If you think you are going to affect me, go gently caress yourself. Because the only thing you are doing is making yourself look retarded. I’m not exposed to it and my family isn’t, either." ([Glen Benton] On internet haters)

:maga:

lol

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 25, 2023

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
glen benton owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids got me Limp Bizkit tickets for Christmas. Hell yeah.