Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think Biden supports genocide, I just think he's too chicken poo poo to tell Israel to stop. He may be thinking that he'll lose the Jewish votes if he says anything, which is really disturbing if you think about it.

At this point there is basically no difference in if he does or doesn’t actively support it or not.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Misunderstood posted:

It looks like you found one thing that is kind of almost vote scolding and then decided to just fill it out with a dozen "mean things the Dems said about the left" links instead.

"Vote scolding" is just a bizarre idea to begin with, and one of those things (like the definition of "electoralism" that means "there are elections") that only really exists as a concept among a very small subset of the online left.

Wait, which is it .. what they posted isn’t vote scolding? or vote scolding isn’t real?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think Biden supports genocide, I just think he's too chicken poo poo to tell Israel to stop. He may be thinking that he'll lose the Jewish votes if he says anything, which is really disturbing if you think about it.

I think it's more likely that Biden - along with much of the rest of America's political and media elite - doesn't think Israel is actually engaging in genocide here. They're all quite used to defending bloody bombing campaigns waged against a foreign country with absolutely zero regard for collateral damage against civilian countries, after all. Since Israel is mostly going through the exact same motions the US usually does, I suspect it's actually quite difficult to convince longtime defenders of American foreign policy that this is something more than that.

Aztec Galactus posted:

Every electoral or legislative failure from the Democratic party is because the left did not give them the support that they are owed. Everything the democrats do is the best thing that is politically possible, and the least you can do is offer them your unconditional support.

If we can step out of the sarcasm universe and return to the real world for just a moment here, the farthest-left president in our lifetimes is polling poorly against Trump and has a deeply underwater approval rating. Meanwhile, in Congress, leftist candidates seem unable to win anything but the bluest of deep-blue seats, leaving Dems unable to muster even 50 Senate votes without relying on diehard conservatives, and massively groundbreaking progressive bills have done absolutely nothing to shore up support for left-leaning Dems in Congress.

If we don't want another GOP trifecta under Trump, then we do in fact have to occasionally hand it to the people who are actually accomplishing real leftist political achievements, and work to help them win so they can do more and better.

No, you don't owe anyone anything. But if you want progress on issues, then it's important to lend your political support to people who are actually seriously pushing for real progress on those those issues, even if the progress isn't quite as much as you'd like (and especially if the progress was held up by the other branches of government working to thwart it). If not, then they either lose the election, or abandon positions that seem to be hurting them more than helping them.

If you think that Joe Biden hasn't done anything leftist, then can you please at least argue that instead of whatever this is? It's not the most interesting subject, but it's a million times more productive than sarcastic tweet-length shitposts accusing people of being, what, Democratic Party loyalists? And discussing Joe Biden's policy has the advantage of being rooted in actual reality rather than philosophical beliefs, so we can deal in things like facts and evidence, instead of a discussion that's made up entirely of unsupported opinions and personal attacks.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Top G posted:

Wait, which is it .. what they posted isn’t vote scolding? or vote scolding isn’t real?
“Vote scolding” has a definition. Somebody could write or say something that meets that definition. None of those links really involve it, some aren’t about voting at all. (Invoking “you’ll let Trump win” like Fetterman does is kind of adjacent to “vote scolding” as conceived, which is where I give the “almost” credit.)

It’s just not something that anybody in the world has any thoughts or feelings about except for the aforementioned subset of the online left. Nobody is going around saying “grrr, people are condescending to me about not voting for [more culturally aligned candidate].” Most people who don’t vote just legit don’t give a poo poo.

In general, requesting that people vote for you tends to result in more votes for you than doing the opposite. There are a lot of rhetorical ways you can request that. “You’re being dumb, wtf” is one of them and it actually does work on a lot of people.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 23, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
most people who i know who don't vote do tend to get annoyed when pestered about it

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Killer robot posted:

From what I gather loss of Jewish votes were part of why Dems underperformed in New York in 2022, due to pushback against state/city Dems' policies on Jewish schools in NYC.

Not saying that's Biden's primary motivator, but the Jewish vote is not something to comfortably write off.

The use of "Jewish votes/schools" here could be a lot more useful it it were more specific. It's Hasidic schools (yeshivos) which basically spend an hour or two a day teaching normal school subjects and then spend the rest on learning religious law. And they consistently misrepresent themselves to the state in order to get as much public funding as possible while producing students who often aren't fully fluent in English and struggle with arithmetic.

The thing is that these Hasidic communities are also really well-functioning turnout machines because they have very strong centralized authority in the form of their religious leaders. These leaders can negotiate with politicians really effectively because when they promise thousands or tens of thousands of votes in one direction or the other, they're not bluffing at all.

Generally these leaders are much much more concerned with securing maximum funding and minimum oversight for their own communities than wanting someone who's pro-Israel, but either way they usually end up negotiating these deals with right-wing candidates, and that's what happened in 2022. Obviously this is a totally separate dynamic from the vast majority of Jews in New York/across the US, who are just normal Americans whose religious minority status gives them a tilt toward social progressivism.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
They weren’t going to vote anyway and they deserve to be annoyed.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Misunderstood posted:

It looks like you found one thing that is kind of almost vote scolding and then decided to just fill it out with a dozen "mean things the Dems said about the left" links instead.

"Vote scolding" is just a bizarre idea to begin with, and one of those things (like the definition of "electoralism" that means "there are elections") that only really exists as a concept among a very small subset of the online left.

I never said they were vote scolding. I said they scolded their voters.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Misunderstood posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, they would have voted but aren’t going to for specific reasons. Such as the president strongly supporting a genocide.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Misunderstood posted:

sure sounds like scolding to me than

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Scolding is what you do with intransigent children. So I’m pro vote scolding.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also the thing here where a lot of examples of vote scolding seems to be politicians scolding other politicians which is just normal politics. Because Progressive/Liberals care about that sort of thing. It just the national stage version of what we do here in this thread playing out.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Scolding is what you do with intransigent children. So I’m pro vote scolding.

It is, in fact, not childish not to vote when the person you’re being scolded to vote for is helping carry out a genocide.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: Nevermind, this argument has been had before and it's probably edging into "martial law".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 23, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It is when the result of that will be to assist a candidate which is even MORE pro-genocide.

“Vote for the man who is committing a genocide right now to avoid a hypothetical future genocide” is not a rallying cry I’d advise any political party to run with.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I actually had a dream last night that it was election time 2024 and Biden was losing because people were trying to send him a message by not voting or voting 3rd party. Because of this Trump got reelected and was sending my family off to live in caves in the Idaho mountains.

Yeah, it was a strange dream. But I woke up this morning rather disconcerted.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

It is, in fact, not childish not to vote when the person you’re being scolded to vote for is helping carry out a genocide.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It is when the result of that will be to assist a candidate which is even MORE pro-genocide.
:siren:

I'm nipping this in the bud now.

Anyone who posts about the ethics of voting, lesser-evilism, VBNMW, or anything similar will be getting at least a twelve hour probation. I don't care which side of the debate you are on.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
e: saw warning...

e2: you know I totally get and pretty much agree with keeping the topic out of USCE. It's a perpetual argument generation machine and if it's left unchecked it swamps literally everything else out.

But I do actually think that debate is going to be a huge deal in the 2024 election - there are certainly a lot of early indicators of that. It's a legitimate front that Biden and the Dems have to fight the election on while also trying to fight the right for his share of independent moderates, and it could have a really big effect. I think it's something that really ought to be discussed - would it be permissible to have a thread for that purpose?

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 23, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...ss/71988012007/

Pro-Palestinian protesters in Milwaukee call for Gaza ceasefire, vow to defeat Biden

quote:

Pro-Palestinian protesters assembled near the site of President Joe Biden’s visit to Milwaukee Wednesday and demanded that the United States support a ceasefire in Gaza to end the Israel-Hamas conflict.

And they vowed to take their case to the ballot box in next year’s presidential election to work to defeat the president.

The protest was organized by the Wisconsin Coalition for Justice in Palestine, which represents more than 60 organizations.

“What is happening in Gaza is genocide and he is complicit with that genocide, so he has blood on his hands,” attorney Munjed Ahmad said. “We still expect him to call for a ceasefire and not have the U.S. stand alone on the wrong side of history.”

Ahmad noted that Wisconsin is a swing state that Biden narrowly won over former President Donald Trump in 2020.

“He won Wisconsin by about 20,000 votes only,” Ahmad said. “We are a voting bloc that is way more than 20,000. He will not win Wisconsin without our votes. And at this point, he doesn't have them. It is our intention to abandon him because of his complicity with the genocide.”

Later, during a news conference at the Islamic Society of Milwaukee Community Center, speakers criticized the president over the Israel-Hamas war.

The group said the goal of an effort called "Abandon Biden" is to guarantee the president's loss, with campaigns launched by Muslim community leaders in Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona, North Carolina, Nevada, Florida, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.

Othman Atta, an attorney and activist, said the situation in Gaza is "a humanitarian catastrophe."

"We're giving a very clear signal to the Democratic Party, if you continue to support Joe Biden as the presidential candidate and he continues to support the Israeli onslaught against Gaza, we will not support him," Atta said. "We will abandon him."

More Muslim communities organizing against Biden, urging people to abandon him over his support of Israel which is conducting an ongoing genocide in Palestine.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm nipping this in the bud now.

Anyone who posts about the ethics of voting, lesser-evilism, VBNMW, or anything similar will be getting at least a twelve hour probation. I don't care which side of the debate you are on.

I've been on this forum since its inception with different accounts and it's always funny to see the one topic in D&D that will absolutely never reach a resolution, bubble up to the surface again. I predict peace in Israel before I think this argument will ever be over.

I know I'm posting adjacent to the topic you just banned so I'll take the probe if you need to, but I'm really just saying I feel for ya man. You're punching at endless ocean waves.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

theCalamity posted:

Pro-Palestinian protesters in Milwaukee call for Gaza ceasefire, vow to defeat Biden

More Muslim communities organizing against Biden, urging people to abandon him over his support of Israel which is conducting an ongoing genocide in Palestine.

Hopefully Biden understands he can win them back with positive reinforcement

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

theCalamity posted:

Circumventing congressional oversight to sell Israel weapons that they’ll use to commit genocide is perfectly normal, I don’t know what they’re so upset about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hopefully Biden understands he can win them back with positive reinforcement

I think the reinforcement is part of their issue with him.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if anybody saw this anywhere yesterday but the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the state's legislative map must be redrawn. Anybody who knows anything about Wisconsin politics knows this is huge, and that without this decision it might have been decades before a Democratic legislature in WI was remotely possible. The GOP had gerrymandered a <5 point advantage into an huge unassailable majority. This decision is the direct result of the liberals' win in the April 4 Supreme Court election.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel posted:

The Wisconsin Supreme Court on Friday ordered the Republican-controlled state Legislature to draw new legislative boundaries ahead of the 2024 election, arguing their GOP advantage is unconstitutional — delivering a long-sought win for Democrats who have stayed deep in the Legislature's minority for more than a decade.

The court in a 4-3 decision said the court is also prepared to replace the state's heavily gerrymandered maps if the Legislature and Democratic governor cannot agree on a new plan.

"Wisconsin is a purple state, and I look forward to submitting maps to the Court to consider and review that reflect and represent the makeup of our state," Gov. Tony Evers said in a statement.Law Forward, a Madison-based liberal-leaning law firm focused on voting issues, brought the legal challenge straight to the Supreme Court in August — bypassing lower courts in an expedited effort to put new maps in place before the fall.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2023/12/22/wisconsin-supreme-court-rules-legislative-maps-unconstitutional/72010456007/
It's the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, so I don't really see what could reverse this decision, although I'm sure Republicans will give it everything they've got.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 23, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's easy to cherrypick one or two numbers out of one poll and say that single number is a decisive factor in politics, but reality typically doesn't work out quite so simply. Which is good, because the polls are saying that voters prefer the Republicans' economic policies, yet Biden has so far resisted the pressure to abandon his leftist stances and trend rightward on economics like the last few Dem presidents did.

Main Paineframe posted:

If we can step out of the sarcasm universe and return to the real world for just a moment here, the farthest-left president in our lifetimes is polling poorly against Trump and has a deeply underwater approval rating. Meanwhile, in Congress, leftist candidates seem unable to win anything but the bluest of deep-blue seats, leaving Dems unable to muster even 50 Senate votes without relying on diehard conservatives, and massively groundbreaking progressive bills have done absolutely nothing to shore up support for left-leaning Dems in Congress.

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden has been the most pro-labor president since WWII, both in words (the first president in history to join a picket line!) and in action (Biden's Dept of Labor has actually been quite activist). But leftist Twitter hated him in the first place, and social media tends to generally amplify negativity and hatred while minimizing happy news, so all the good things he did go unnoticed or forgotten. The unions are going to be out and loud for Biden in 2024, but it's anyone's guess whether anyone's going to listen to them when @lib_smasher_69 is pumping out viral tweets about how Joe Biden is the union destroyer.

Is anyone actually buying this? You can't seriously believe Biden is slipping in the polls because he is too progressive.

Please stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Misunderstood posted:

Not sure if anybody saw this anywhere yesterday but the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the state's legislative map must be redrawn. Anybody who knows anything about Wisconsin politics knows this is huge, and that without this decision it might have been decades before a Democratic legislature in WI was remotely possible. The GOP had gerrymandered a <5 point advantage into an huge unassailable majority. This is the direct result of the liberals' win in the April 4 Supreme Court election.

It's the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, so I don't really see what could reverse this decision, although I'm sure Republicans will give it everything they've got.

And being that this is internal to the state, I don't see how the USSC could get involved in these sorts of things.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Koburn posted:

Is anyone actually buying this? You can't seriously believe Biden is slipping in the polls because he is too progressive.

Please stop.

Good thing that's not what he said, like even remotely!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Koburn posted:

Please stop.

That's an incredibly dishonest low effort troll designed to bait into a flame war

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Koburn posted:

Please stop.

Biden's poll performance is almost exactly in line with party ID in the same polls. If the polls are right, he's slipping because the electorate (especially young and non white voters) is more Republican than it was in 2020 and than recent off-year and special elections suggest, and he's too progressive for those Republican voters.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 23, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

If we can step out of the sarcasm universe and return to the real world for just a moment here, the farthest-left president in our lifetimes is polling poorly against Trump and has a deeply underwater approval rating.

Ok. They must have meant for other, unrelated reasons?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Koburn posted:

Please stop.
You can dispute whether that exact wording is appropriate... but, uh, yeah, pretty much. When voters constantly cry to the high heavens about immigration and crime, a vast majority are not complaining about border detention, or police brutality.

It's a lot less about what Biden has done (which we have ample evidence the voters are only dimly aware of) and more what they perceive him to have done, or what he represents (along with Democrats in general.)Objection to a president from the left party is always overwhelmingly going to both come from the right, and redound to the advantage of, the right. I have to roll my eyes pretty hard when I see people left of Biden viewing his bad approval ratings as some kind of personal victory.

To treat it as ridiculous that being seen as too far left could hurt Biden's approvals is... I mean, it beggars belief, sorry. It's kind of a stunning misunderstanding of American politics.

From September... Democrats Are Too Liberal For Their Own Voters (whatever on Newsweek, and that headline can gently caress off, but Morning Consult polls are well regarded...)

Newsweek posted:

A Morning Consult poll conducted between August 29 and September 1 and released Monday found, by a nine-point margin, that voters believe the Democrats are more ideologically extreme than Republicans. Voters also find the GOP more capable of governing, tackling big issues, and keeping the country safe.

About 47 percent of respondents said the Democrats have become "too liberal," a 7-point increase since 2020. Republicans, meanwhile, have remained at the same 38 percent level as it pertains to being "too conservative." Also, 32 and 31 percent of Democrats and Republicans, respectively, are either "appropriately" liberal or conservative.
C'mon, man. I don't like that things are this way but let's not deny what's in front of our faces.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 23, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I had no idea Fetterman owned this much.

It is pretty wild seeing a new Manchin emerge like a poo poo-Kaiju from the bog

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Koburn posted:

Please stop.

This is something that can happen extremely easily in the United States. There's also this terrible cycle where progressive politicians repeatedly and regularly have their support cut out from under them by their own base in a way that liberals/centrists/the right rarely have to deal with. The right likes to make a big fuss about their candidates not being right enough (but still make sure to vote them in and offer the critical support necessary to hold power) and the left likes to make a big fuss about their candidates not being left enough (and leaves them twisting in the wind).

So it's not going to be impossible that biden, trying to bridge support between progressive and centrist/liberal factions, is able to lose support by doing more of the correct thing, especially when we already know that centrist liberals really like to undercut progressives harder than they'll attend to right wingers.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

selec posted:

Out of curiosity, what did he do recently to have leftists all of a sudden hate him? Is it just him saying he’s not a progressive and being super pro-Israel? Those things were well known last year, so I assume there’s something I’m missing…

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

Out of curiosity, what did he do recently to have leftists all of a sudden hate him? Is it just him saying he’s not a progressive and being super pro-Israel? Those things were well known last year, so I assume there’s something I’m missing…

It’s about going on an immense lying campaign about being progressive in interviews, in campaign materials, in statements from surrogates, using the very word itself many, many times and then outright acting like we’re stupid to believe that, and his genocidal rhetoric. He’s a liar, and an inhumane tool of empire.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

It's the genocide support, yes. Also the part where he loudly said he's not a progressive or leftist while running as both.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

I don't think Fetterman is taking a Manchin path at all. It's more like a Sinema path, although I think he's unlikely to be obstructive on anywhere near as many issues as she was. He's taking a much better stab at the "McCain strategy," not that you could really do any worse than Sinema. He picked topics on which he had the option of siding with about half of Democrats and the right, and ran right on them. So his rabid support for Israel and attacks on immigration feel more like issue-specific triangulation than a general heel turn.

He is somebody who has been pointed out as having potential cross-party appeal. He figures that to be more broadly popular, he should attack people or policies that are broadly unpopular when he has the opportunity (though I think he's also expressing genuine [and obviously, misguided] support for Zionism.) He's trying to brand himself as, "hey, I care about helping the poor and middle class, but I'm not one of those 'lefties'" - he's trying to wriggle out of the polarization a little bit.

I dunno. It's pretty lovely to sell out Palestinians and immigrants like that. But I would have to see him attack and obstruct leftist economic policies, from the right, before I started to put him anywhere near a league with Manchin - if anything he seems like he's just become more economically populist. Like, you just can't be pro-wealth tax and be a "new Manchin," doesn't compute.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Kalit posted:

Nah I think it’s just his rabid support of Israel and recent statements about it since Israel started their genocide campaign.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Misunderstood posted:

You can dispute whether that exact wording is appropriate... but, uh, yeah, pretty much. When voters constantly cry to the high heavens about immigration and crime, a vast majority are not complaining about border detention, or police brutality.

It's a lot less about what Biden has done (which we have ample evidence the voters are only dimly aware of) and more what they perceive him to have done, or what he represents (along with Democrats in general.)Objection to a president from the left party is always overwhelmingly going to both come from the right, and redound to the advantage of, the right. I have to roll my eyes pretty hard when I see people left of Biden viewing his bad approval ratings as some kind of personal victory.

To treat it as ridiculous that being seen as too far left could hurt Biden's approvals is... I mean, it beggars belief, sorry. It's kind of a stunning misunderstanding of American politics.

From September... Democrats Are Too Liberal For Their Own Voters (whatever on Newsweek, and that headline can gently caress off, but Morning Consult polls are well regarded...)

C'mon, man. I don't like that things are this way but let's not deny what's in front of our faces.

I mean I find very little to be optimistic about in this country if this is how "normal" people see things. It's loving bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

The genocide support seems like a good enough reason to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)