Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol at the Tyson Bagent Truthers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol at the Tyson Bagent Truthers

The gap between Bryce and Andy is bigger than the gap between Herbie and Stick.

That’s… that’s just wild

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The MVP is Raheem Mostert

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

Purdy is the new Jimmy G but not handsome

no man ive been over this he's literally Matt Ryan

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The gap between Bryce and Andy is bigger than the gap between Herbie and Stick.

That’s… that’s just wild

I would love to see the alternate reality where Andy Dalton starts the whole year, and how he would have stacked up.

Obviously the Seahawks D isn't anything amazing, but they're obviously good enough to beat teams like Philadelphia.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

epic bacon posted:

he's 1st in YPA, 1st in passer rating, 1st in touchdowns, 2nd in passing yards, 1st in 1st down %, 1st in 20+ yard passes, 1st in 40+ yard passes...

Dumb argument by nerds that don't watch football.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

If you really feel like being tedious rules lawyer purdy is indisputably the most valuable player because he is providing at a minimum top ten qb production for pennies and giving the team more flexibility to build around him. The ultimate rookie qb window

Most Market Valuable Player. Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Doltos posted:

The MVP is Raheem Mostert

Yes, but Alec Ingold is co-MVP.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Black Sunshine posted:

In Jimmy G's best year he was barely top half in QB rating. Usually he was much worse.

On the other hand, he is extremely handsome, so it really is a wash

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

No. Niners playing with Jimmy at QB was like boxing with one hand tied behind their back. Even with tons of talent elsewhere on the roster it always felt like they needed a minor miracle to beat quality teams.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

predicto posted:

In Jimmy G's best year he was barely top half in QB rating. Usually he was much worse.

On the other hand, he is extremely handsome, so it really is a wash

In his two best years, Jimmy G was absolutely in the top half.

Outside of those two years, though, you're right. Mostly due to being constantly injured, but also because he was limited in what he could do.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ozymandius1024 posted:

I would love to see the alternate reality where Andy Dalton starts the whole year, and how he would have stacked up.

Dalton would absolutely have 2-3 more wins for Carolina this year.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Dalton would absolutely have 2-3 more wins for Carolina this year.

I think so too. The cast is obviously not good at all, but I want to know just *how* terrible, and how much of it falls at Bryce's tiny little feet.

We will see either way though, when Bryce gets a completely new coaching staff and likely a different supporting cast next season.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 22, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m glad we are back to caring about QB rating

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

I think so too. The cast is obviously not good at all, but I want to know just *how* terrible, and how much of it falls at Bryce's tiny little feet.

We will see either way though, when Bryce gets a completely new coaching staff and likely a different supporting cast next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=felExdvBAjM

There's been a definite improvement in terms of the scheme, protection and execution in the last game. Yeah Atlanta sucks on defense, but still - you play who you play and it still jumps off the page there's some deficiencies on the roster but there's still been better utilisation of the guys we do have.

The change back to a power gap scheme up front has been night and day jarring. It's insanity Reich stuck to his zonal guns for as long as he did. Just absolute insanity.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=felExdvBAjM

There's been a definite improvement in terms of the scheme, protection and execution in the last game. Yeah Atlanta sucks on defense, but still - you play who you play and it still jumps off the page there's some deficiencies on the roster but there's still been better utilisation of the guys we do have.

The change back to a power gap scheme up front has been night and day jarring. It's insanity Reich stuck to his zonal guns for as long as he did. Just absolute insanity.

Oh nice, I've been waiting for a more recent JT video on Bryce!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Yeah he avoids making them after really poo poo weeks so we haven't seen a Bryce video for a while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Coldforge posted:

In his two best years, Jimmy G was absolutely in the top half.

Outside of those two years, though, you're right. Mostly due to being constantly injured, but also because he was limited in what he could do.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

That smile alone won half his games.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vox Nihili posted:

No. Niners playing with Jimmy at QB was like boxing with one hand tied behind their back. Even with tons of talent elsewhere on the roster it always felt like they needed a minor miracle to beat quality teams.

There are so many plays Brock Pursy makes where he gets out of structure where Handsome James would have crumpled to the turf in a ball

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The biggest difference is the plays Purdy doesn't make. Like throwing a dumbass pick into double coverage with the lead and three minutes left in the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The biggest difference is the plays Purdy doesn't make. Like throwing a dumbass pick into double coverage with the lead and three minutes left in the game.

This.

Also, scheme or otherwise, his accuracy, reads, poise in the pocket and overall touch are hard to argue with when you watch him play. One can argue it's entirely Shanahan related and maybe it is, but football is the ultimate team sport and he's playing his role in it at the highest level.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The things Jimmy was never able to do:
stay healthy,
throw a deep pass to the boundary,
see an inside linebacker.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

throw a deep pass to the boundary,
see an inside linebacker.

Purdy is a huge upgrade for both these reasons. He can hit deep throws outside the numbers, and his ability to read key defensive players is extremely high. The Niners' passing game almost immediately became much more aggressive down the field when Purdy took over. He's also better at off-schedule plays where he has to escape a collapsing pocket than most QBs.

Here's some highlights. You'll have to watch a more detailed breakdown for examples of how he reads defenses, but he does so at a very high level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKdoVKLapM

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I still can’t believe people think Purdy isn’t an elite quarterback.

Some of y’all are never going to learn.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I can only assume the people who think Garappolo is as good never watched a 49er game. I still have ptsd every time the ball travels more than 15 yards in the air that the camera will pan to 3 DBs waiting for it or it being out of range of the receiver by 5 yards.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously I’m not even a 49er fan at all but if you can’t watch Purdy and Garoppolo with the 49ers and realize there is a massive, *massive* difference then I’d seriously question your ability to evaluate quarterbacks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jordan Love is good

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kirios posted:

I still can’t believe people think Purdy isn’t an elite quarterback.

Some of y’all are never going to learn.

What do you mean by elite? Would you swap Stroud for Purdy straight up?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stroud has the potential to be a top 2-4ish QB. I would not swap him for Purdy if I were the Texans, but that's no knock on brock.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"Better than Jimmy Garoppolo" is not the benchmark you think it is

in fact, Jimmy Garoppolo's continued stature as an Assumed Starting Quarterback is thanks almost entirely to the same forces that are making Brock Purdy look like an elite QB

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I would not trade Purdy for Stroud because Stroud is not able to play this week.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dang wonder how Browning will look after today's game

Ben Baldwin is rear end

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Brock Purdy was almost undrafted, which makes him that much more impressive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Edward Mass posted:

The story I heard is that Lynch and Shanahan were talking about bringing him on as a UDFA, and one of them asked if they were sure they could get him to come try out. So they just said fuckit and drafted him. I'm going to say that however they decided to pick him up, this makes up for the Trey Lance misstep.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Edward Mass posted:

Literally Mr. Irrelevant. Already the most consequential Mr. Irrelevant all time. More impressive than undrafted in my opinion.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Literally Mr. Irrelevant. Already the most consequential Mr. Irrelevant all time. More impressive than undrafted in my opinion.

UDFA are by nature gonna be a way larger sample to hit on these long stretch scratchers, Purdy being Mr Irrelevant is just kinda a fun long shot. Not to take anything away from him—he’s great, but his story and Kurt Warner’s are both in the same realm of Cool

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mr. Irrelevant isn't the one reason people keep doubting Purdy—it's also his name. "Brock Purdy" isn't a proper MVP quarterback name. It doesn't even sound like the type of name you give to a child on purpose.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Purdy is a huge upgrade for both these reasons. He can hit deep throws outside the numbers, and his ability to read key defensive players is extremely high. The Niners' passing game almost immediately became much more aggressive down the field when Purdy took over. He's also better at off-schedule plays where he has to escape a collapsing pocket than most QBs.

Here's some highlights. You'll have to watch a more detailed breakdown for examples of how he reads defenses, but he does so at a very high level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKdoVKLapM

this short video contains at least 5 things I've never EVER seen Jimmy G do. Thanks for this

Edward Mass posted:

If he keeps it up and wins a Super Bowl or two, he's going to get the Hollywood treatment I'd bet. Hell, the movie already has a title.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

fsif posted:

Mr. Irrelevant isn't the one reason people keep doubting Purdy—it's also his name. "Brock Purdy" isn't a proper MVP quarterback name. It doesn't even sound like the type of name you give to a child on purpose.

"Brock Purdy" is a name fitting for the Kenneth Parcell type of character from 30 Rock

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fsif posted:

What if I told you he has a brother currently playing college ball who goes by Chubba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fsif posted:

“Mahomes” isn’t exactly a classic Football Guy name either but you get used to it

Bortles had no chance, though