Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shard posted:

the shadow curse around the tower will really eat you up so you should get the blessing of selune first.

Just go to the burned out building you'd normally go to after Isobel and the lantern encounter will be there as usual. You don't need to ever speak to Isobel for any reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Professor Beetus posted:

It's when you've killed a non-hostile guard. If you go back remaining guards will attack you on sight until you've done your time or killed all the witnesses. Minthara is technically a witness while she is knocked out.

Oh that’s ok, you just kill all the other goblins anyway.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The drider’s moonlantern can get you through, I thought?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

"romancing" lae'zel is pretty amazing

It really is. My girlfriend picked Shadowheart and its so... Cute and uninteresting lol

This game is so fun to play with a partner. You will learn things hahahah.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Khizan posted:

The drider’s moonlantern can get you through, I thought?

you are correct I forgot

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh that’s ok, you just kill all the other goblins anyway.

Oh yeah, they're already dead. It's just funny that you still have that status effect because of Minthara. I guess if I tossed a potion at her she'd probably wake up and try to murder me

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
140 hours into the game, never got past Act 1.

Honor mode attempt #1 - died to the adventures in the crypt after 2 hours. I should have done a long rest first.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Baldur's Gate 3: I should have done a long rest first

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The most harrowing part of Honour mode is definitely the first 3 levels or so, since you're still at the point where an unlucky crit or miss can kill one of your party members outright

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Attempt #2 never got off the ship., The devil killed the mindflayer and cut me down one turn away from the console. Thus ends Comstar the Ranger.

I probably should have rescued that cleric.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 23, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No need she's doing just fine in there

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The most harrowing part of Honour mode is definitely the first 3 levels or so, since you're still at the point where an unlucky crit or miss can kill one of your party members outright

I've cleared all of Nautiloid region and Underdark (except for the beholder) and heading into Grymforge at Level 5 and my party has REALLY come online and just stomping poo poo. Very much agree with your assessment but still fear an unexpected legendary ability that'll wipe me out.

First half of Act 1 HM is really dicey.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What is the "best" wild heart barb animal?

Bear or Wolf. Bear offers tons of damage reduction, Wolf offers a shout that adds 3m of movement speed to your group and allies will have advantage on melee attacks on foes within 2m of you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My first Honor Mode run was RIP'd at the Zhentarim Hideout. Protip, do not get in a fight with the boss lady while you're standing below on the ground covered in oil barrels. Never even got a chance to react.

Second has been going well so far, Level 11 and in Act 3. Only real dicey thing past an unlucky Adamantine Forge fight was Ketheric. Made some bad decisions and didn't really read up on his legendary action before going in. Pulled it off eventually, though.

I think my next target is Sarevok, I remember that being a pretty easy fight and the loot he drops is phenomenal.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My first Honor Mode run was RIP'd at the Zhentarim Hideout. Protip, do not get in a fight with the boss lady while you're standing below on the ground covered in oil barrels. Never even got a chance to react.

why would you fight them at all? in my non-honor run (only run, currently near end of a1) they were friendly enough that I just talked with them and then I stealthed around to steal stuff

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Second has been going well so far, Level 11 and in Act 3. Only real dicey thing past an unlucky Adamantine Forge fight was Ketheric. Made some bad decisions and didn't really read up on his legendary action before going in. Pulled it off eventually, though.

I think my next target is Sarevok, I remember that being a pretty easy fight and the loot he drops is phenomenal.
Still can't believe he's in this game. So cool

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Not sure if this is a question for a different thread, but was the actual play the cast did worth watching?

I love the cast in general, but not everyone is great at improv. I think it's only two episodes either way I suppose..

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I feel like I was hoodwinked by the thread's "eat as many worms as you want" advice given the DC 21 Wisdom check I just had to pass in order to not get half-illithid'd when Emperor offered me the special worm

Oh well, it's not like Inspiration doesn't grow on trees in this game

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Comstar posted:

Attempt #2 never got off the ship., The devil killed the mindflayer and cut me down one turn away from the console. Thus ends Comstar the Ranger.

I probably should have rescued that cleric.

Shadowheart is great because she can command the devil to drop his sword. You get a free flaming sword, and the ally takes way last damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some people don't count being ugly as a consequence of your own actions, a very telling mentality.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

Some people don't count being ugly as a consequence of your own actions, a very telling mentality.

Imo my half orc and dragonborn both had their appearances enhanced by the Consequence, so who's to say if it's good or bad

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I probably would have taken it if I wasn't already playing a reticent Dark Urge lady. Why would I abstain from becoming a murder god while *also* just being like "yeah give me all the evil tentacle powers baybeee"

Kind of messy thematically.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cross-Section posted:

I probably would have taken it if I wasn't already playing a reticent Dark Urge lady. Why would I abstain from becoming a murder god while *also* just being like "yeah give me all the evil tentacle powers baybeee"

One of those things is decidedly more malicious than the other

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

One of those things is decidedly more malicious than the other

Eh, they still both have that same undercurrent of getting addicted to an otherworldly power that basically robs the user of their soul

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Comstar posted:

140 hours into the game, never got past Act 1.

Honor mode attempt #1 - died to the adventures in the crypt after 2 hours. I should have done a long rest first.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Baldur's Gate 3: I should have done a long rest first

Counterpoint, the shadow heart origin run I’m on finished most of act one and all of act two with zero long rests. I wanted to take the bliss spore buff, bless from guardian and radiant buff from morning lord puzzle as long as I could.

I finished helping the druids and did the rest for that then no more sleep.

Guess what gives long and short rests without consuming conditions? Angelic potions.

Honestly I think elves should not get the use of those.

This is all possible on a solo tactic run mostly because throwing things is just stupidly strong.

I’m looking forward to moving to honor mode and having a legit reason to keep starting new characters instead of actually finishing act 3 for a change.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Act 2

For those running an Oathbreaker with Aura of Hate, if you Control Dead the Sisters at House of Healing, they will pickup weapons on the ground, and they can get the buff.

This happened randomly when Karlach threw one of her non-returning weapons. Problem with Aura of Hate, it works on enemy undead with weapons, and there are a lot of them in Act 2 :(

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Cross-Section posted:

I feel like I was hoodwinked by the thread's "eat as many worms as you want" advice given the DC 21 Wisdom check I just had to pass in order to not get half-illithid'd when Emperor offered me the special worm

Oh well, it's not like Inspiration doesn't grow on trees in this game

We’re using the instagram filter and flying everywhere

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kalas posted:

Counterpoint, the shadow heart origin run I’m on finished most of act one and all of act two with zero long rests. I wanted to take the bliss spore buff, bless from guardian and radiant buff from morning lord puzzle as long as I could.

I finished helping the druids and did the rest for that then no more sleep.

Guess what gives long and short rests without consuming conditions? Angelic potions.

Honestly I think elves should not get the use of those.

I’m looking forward to moving to honor mode and having a legit reason to keep starting new characters instead of actually finishing act 3 for a change.

If you don't rest, you won't get the in-camp interactions that drive a lot of the npc characterization, allow you to romance an npc and progress the story generally.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Kind of messy thematically.

Same, and another thing I really like about that choice is how Astarian flat out refuses to do it because despite wanting to go all in on tadpoles this is way too similar to how vampirism changes your body.

Really, Act III is when I went from "yeah his VA is good but I'm not sure why he's being singled out for all these awards" to "ohhhhh."

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You don’t have to use potions of angelic reprieve / slumber but as a compulsive crafter you definitely don’t find that many of the later. I’m sitting on 2 Planetar feathers and where the gently caress is that third one!?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Black Noise posted:

You don’t have to use potions of angelic reprieve / slumber but as a compulsive crafter you definitely don’t find that many of the later. I’m sitting on 2 Planetar feathers and where the gently caress is that third one!?

The lesser one can be vendor bought now and then. I found them now and then 3 at a time as early as act 2 once you hit 8th or 9th level.

rojay posted:

If you don't rest, you won't get the in-camp interactions that drive a lot of the npc characterization, allow you to romance an npc and progress the story generally.

I did mention solo. There's one long rest you have to do in act 1 to progress the story after finishing the druid/goblin event. I'm not sure if this is skippable while still safely continuing the tiefling's to Last Light.

Act 2 doesn't need any long rests for main plot triggers AFAIK.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Kalas posted:

The lesser one can be vendor bought now and then. I found them now and then 3 at a time as early as act 2 once you hit 8th or 9th level.

Compulsively cycling vendors every rest and with Gale specced as a Transmutation wizard to get a chance at double potions I had 13 of Reprieve and 2 Slumber. Act 3 there are 2 Alchemy vendors in Rivington and 1 in the Lower City, I've found speed potions but nothing angelic. You might be getting some good rolls.
Never really got that much use out of them because the party is 2 half casters and 2 full casters (Arcane Trickster, Paladin, Draconic Sorc, Wizard (Nerco). Because the casters would go nova every fight despite me reminding them that I have stolen so many scrolls for them we'd end up taking a rest after every big fight until I forced some nonexistent narrative pressure with Yenna.

Full casters didn't want anything to do with the reprieve potions but it was very handy for keeping the Paladin from being burned out after a multi enemy encounter. Draconic Sorc finally realized their utility in using them to consume spell slots for sorcery points and more spell slots. No luck for the Wizard though, but they did finally realize what it means to have 20 scrolls of Disintegrate.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

It's such a darkly comical encounter as an evil Durge. He isn't at all fazed that you killed his (grand)daughter, and in fact is sincerely happy to welcome you to the family. Dude is positively beaming with pride. Also he's going to kill you now, because that's what being a worshipper of Bhaal is all about.

It did get a little bit dicey when I impulsively exploded all of the adds, forgetting what happens when you do that. But only a little.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 23, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is the Tavern Brawler feat as OP as it seems? I feel like my unarmed strength monk is hitting almost as hard as my wizard when the wizard nukes. But the monk does it every turn. And then can do even more damage when spending ki points. And doesn't have to worry about enemies saving and negating or taking half damage from the attack.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LLSix posted:

Is the Tavern Brawler feat as OP as it seems? I feel like my unarmed strength monk is hitting almost as hard as my wizard when the wizard nukes. But the monk does it every turn. And then can do even more damage when spending ki points. And doesn't have to worry about enemies saving and negating or taking half damage from the attack.

Even being nerfed from the original release, Tavern Brawler is still OP as gently caress and practically a required feat for monks and throwbarbs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
On a fit of restartitis fancy I started a Sorc 10/Warlock 2 (or that's the plan anyhow) on Honour mode. Githyanki. Might eventually finish my other hm run which is in Act 3 if I ever get the will power back :v:.

Want to branch out a bit more this run and change up party member specs and try some things I haven't yet. I've been a bit too set in my ways the past few runs. So I've already started out changing things up by making Lae'zel a War Cleric. Shadowheart tempest Cleric. Not sure if I'm going to multi either yet. Gale is going Divination Wizard. I have zero clue what I want to do with Astarion just yet. I could make him a Bard of some sort or maybe make him an alpha striker Ranger/Rogue. Karlach I think is gonna go two hander Wildheart Barb 9/and then I dunno for the other 3. I could just go 12 I guess but I feel like I'd probably get more out of 3 levels in something else as Barb doesn't get a ton past 9 apart from the feat.

No idea what I wanna do with the ch 2/3 npcs but I'll cross that bridge when I get there I guess

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LLSix posted:

Tavern Brawler is so overpowered that it's practically cheating.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Anything that allows you to double-dip on stats is really strong, yeah. Tavern Brawler gives you double benefit from Strength with unarmed and throwing attacks.

Related, it seems like the Diadem of Arcane Synergy is triggering off the Ability Drain tadpole ability. I have pretty much 100% uptime with it on my bard/paladin. Which means you can potentially double or triple-dip on Charisma to weapon damage.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kalas posted:

I did mention solo.
You sure did. I missed it, sorry.

Kalas posted:

Act 2 doesn't need any long rests for main plot triggers AFAIK.

What about dream conversations with ol' tentacle-head? I guess they're not necessary to advance the plot, and if you've already played at least once and know the content, why not?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not sure if this is a question for a different thread, but was the actual play the cast did worth watching?

I love the cast in general, but not everyone is great at improv. I think it's only two episodes either way I suppose..

Yeah it's funny, the DM is excellent and it spawned a couple of good memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

RIP Bing-bong, his soul was too beautiful for Faerûn.