Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"What are people talking about, what could he have said that was-"
:stare:

Yeah, no, gently caress Agony Aunt for being casually racist (multiple times) even if it was "old timey British slang".

And to bring it back to Star Citizen chat: So has Croberts/CIG decided to... "grace" their devout followers with any special holiday bundles? Maybe a FOMO limited-time festive Idris decked out in red, green and silver paint, for the low, low cost of all of your income for the next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/tx59...ae67624be9f#t=0

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
cock colloquialism is a very, very generous term for what kind of lazy racist poo poo he was warned about and basically went down the "no, it is the wokes who are wrong" style self-immolation

like c'mon, especially when casual asian racism and violence against asian people was soaring at the time

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please grace us with a sale, Croberts. The universe is in need.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Star Citizen threads on SA have a history of people showing their whole rear end online.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Popete posted:

The Star Citizen threads on SA have a history of people showing their whole rear end online.

Oh, gently caress, was I supposed to do that? poo poo, I think we got rid of the Eeyore stuffed animal along with the rest of my mom's old stuffed animals. Do you accept any other forms of animal picture? Perhaps a photo of a cute cat (who is also an rear end)?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Randalor posted:

Perhaps a photo of a cute cat (who is also an rear end)?

You shouldn't even have to ask that question. This is the Star Citizen thread, cute cat pics are why we're here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm baring my rear end in a top hat of a cat for the thread to see!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I hope that pillow says let’s rub

Good catte a+ would pledge for more

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Blue On Blue posted:

I hope that pillow says let’s rub

Good catte a+ would pledge for more

I'm up.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Why is it that certain sections of the gaming community, namely the investors who see gamers as merely consumers and the gaming press reliant on cooperation with those 'money men' have a negative view of this project, even to the point of spreading misleading information about it? It's because in this model they don't make any profit, they can't muscle in and force a corporate take-over. Cloud Imperium Games is wholly owned by private individuals whose only responsibility is to their community of gamers, not their investors looking to inflate their share price and dividends.

Starfield is a perfect example of what happens when a gaming community gives a game developer billions of dollars over decades and that company prioritises the shareholders instead of it's gaming community, a gaming community who give their free time and effort to significantly improve upon Bethesda's product and this increases Bethesda's revenue. There is nothing more threatening to the 'money men' than mavericks who cut them out of the loop and in so doing give them a level of competition in players' gaming experience that they won't invest in to match. What Bethesda couldn't do with billions of dollars per year revenues Cloud Imperium Games did with an average $35 Million per year turnover - and CIG ran a live game service as well for 4 years with that money. Make no bones about it, the reason Starfield has a loading screen to go into a building, to get in your ship, to go to space and you can't fly your ship around a planet or moon is because of shareholders and getting the best price per share from Microsoft was more important than the hopes and dreams of their loyal fan base. Exactly the same with Modern Warfare III.

When game developers opt for quick and lazy profits (taking their player base for granted in the process) over maintaining trust and hope for a brighter future with their fan base then they get the backlash they deserve because people instinctively recognise when someone is pissing on them from a great height and calling it rain. They can do it once, but the taste it leaves in peoples mouths means they won't get that opportunity so easily the next time. When you are considering the difference between this project and other game developers it might be worth considering how many game development corporations have sacrificed trust for profit, while CIG has steadily and consistently delivered 'better' for a fraction of the cost other game developers take in annually. The money we give them goes directly to getting a better game experience. I think that philosophy of working for the gamers rather than fleecing gamers at every opportunity is worth supporting.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dear Mr. Pisscat

Certain sections of the gaming community you mentioned view SC as a joke, because ALL sections of the gaming community view SC as a joke.

People also view Starfield as a very lackluster game. Starfield being bland doesn't make SC good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pointing at the latest Call of Duty and saying "see this is what you get with AAA studios these days" well completely ignoring Baldurs Gate 3 and the dozens of great games being released every year.

Citizens are obsessed with an outdated idea that gaming is stagnant and it's just so far from the reality that we have more/better gaming options than ever before.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That's not really just a Citizen affliction, unfortunately. I regularly run into people who bemoan "AAA gaming" but whatever they actually like that's in that space has an excuse for why it doesn't count.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Popete posted:

Pointing at the latest Call of Duty and saying "see this is what you get with AAA studios these days" well completely ignoring Baldurs Gate 3 and the dozens of great games being released every year.

Citizens are obsessed with an outdated idea that gaming is stagnant and it's just so far from the reality that we have more/better gaming options than ever before.

Either that or they'll dismiss it as an "indie game".

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
When the highest selling video game series of all time are routinely put out by EA or Activision, et. al. it is funny to hear when people complain about those publishers while also buying those games themselves and then putting +400 hours into it and an additional $200 in microtransactions.

Steam yelling you how many hours a reviewer has is like twitter’s community notes.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 23, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Indeed. EA makes billions on (what is now) FC. Why would they stop?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

"Cloud Imperium Games is wholly owned by private individuals whose only responsibility is to their community of gamers"

No they don't, they have absolutely no responsibility towards their community. Christ pisscat is such a loving chump

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
developer only responsible to their community of gamers
*rents lavish offices with overpriced artsy furniture, custom made doors, extra expensive coffee makers, finances the owners' luxurious lifestyle with yacht trips, a big mansion and a collection of Porsches before even a tiny fraction of the content they "sold" ever shipped*
not like those filthy AAA publishers who only care about the money of their C-suite and major shareholders, no Sir

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
There was a time when they were, at the very least, embarrassed enough into lying about the custom door, that it was a cheapie job, don't worry.

And then they realised the citizens don't care, they love being ripped off, and will turn on you if you point out they're being ripped off.

Now it's just eat poo poo, citizen cucks, give us money, we'll piss it up the wall, what are you going to do about it.

It's a fairly simple reinforced bad behaviour ---> predictable outcomes situation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Only Kindness posted:

There was a time when they were, at the very least, embarrassed enough into lying about the custom door, that it was a cheapie job, don't worry.

And then they realised the citizens don't care, they love being ripped off, and will turn on you if you point out they're being ripped off.

Now it's just eat poo poo, citizen cucks, give us money, we'll piss it up the wall, what are you going to do about it.

It's a fairly simple reinforced bad behaviour ---> predictable outcomes situation.
That's a good point.

In the beginning they actually tried to hide it. The trips and first class family vacations. The door.

Now they keep renting new posh office space, backers don't care, in fact they excuse it because Chris deserves it, he's such a great guy!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

orcane posted:

That's a good point.

In the beginning they actually tried to hide it. The trips and first class family vacations. The door.

Now they keep renting new posh office space, backers don't care, in fact they excuse it because Chris deserves it, he's such a great guy!

That's not too unusual once a cult pares down its followers to the final cultivar.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

given the past plywood doors, yachts in monaco, porches etc that we all knew of from social media

imagine what and how much they've spent on backer funds since then, but they finally learned not to post everything on social media?

of course that will pale in comparison to the literal kings random they've all taken home in salaries , bonuses, and financial pat's on the back

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

cat posted:

Starfield is a perfect example of what happens when a gaming community gives a game developer billions of dollars over decades and that company prioritises the shareholders instead of it's gaming community, a gaming community who give their free time and effort to significantly improve upon Bethesda's product and this increases Bethesda's revenue. There is nothing more threatening to the 'money men' than mavericks who cut them out of the loop and in so doing give them a level of competition in players' gaming experience that they won't invest in to match. What Bethesda couldn't do with billions of dollars per year revenues Cloud Imperium Games did with an average $35 Million per year turnover - and CIG ran a live game service as well for 4 years with that money.

I love that pisscat lives in a world in his head where Bethesda spent billions of dollars to make Starfield over decades even though it had a production that started in 2013 and apparently cost them $200 million in production (which ramped up in earnest in 2019/2020). By cat's own math, that's $28 million a year (although it likely wasn't distributed that way). Billions. Feh.

It makes sense I guess, pisscat looked at Wing Commander 1 and asked crobberts "how much would it cost to make that today?" and crobberts looked down and said "We can’t, we don’t know how to do it."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cutedge posted:

I love that pisscat lives in a world in his head where Bethesda spent billions of dollars to make Starfield over decades even though it had a production that started in 2013 and apparently cost them $200 million in production (which ramped up in earnest in 2019/2020). By cat's own math, that's $28 million a year (although it likely wasn't distributed that way). Billions. Feh.

It makes sense I guess, pisscat looked at Wing Commander 1 and asked crobberts "how much would it cost to make that today?" and crobberts looked down and said "We can’t, we don’t know how to do it."

Ancient aliens made wing commander, we have lost their technology and could not make it again today

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cutedge posted:

It's standard Citizen maths: a game's development always counts form the first day someone had an idea about a game, or the first time the underlying engine is used — whichever is farther back. The right to count from the day any actual effort or cash was put down for a team that actually had as its objective to make that game is reserved for CI¬G, and obviously, every time the game gets redefined, that date gets reset forward.

Hence why Elite Dangerous has been in development since the early '80s, and Starfield goes back to the '90s at the very least. But SC only begun its development in $CURRENTYEAR-2 (as opposed to the '70s when Chris first dreamed of a space game, or late '90s when the seeds of the engine first saw the light of day).

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tippis posted:

It's standard Citizen maths: a game's development always counts form the first day someone had an idea about a game, or the first time the underlying engine is used — whichever is farther back. The right to count from the day any actual effort or cash was put down for a team that actually had as its objective to make that game is reserved for CI¬G, and obviously, every time the game gets redefined, that date gets reset forward.

Hence why Elite Dangerous has been in development since the early '80s, and Starfield goes back to the '90s at the very least. But SC only begun its development in $CURRENTYEAR-2 (as opposed to the '70s when Chris first dreamed of a space game, or late '90s when the seeds of the engine first saw the light of day).

The inevitable consequence of game development.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue On Blue posted:

given the past plywood doors, yachts in monaco, porches etc that we all knew of from social media

imagine what and how much they've spent on backer funds since then, but they finally learned not to post everything on social media?

of course that will pale in comparison to the literal kings random they've all taken home in salaries , bonuses, and financial pat's on the back

Well, I can tell you one thing they don't spend it on...potatoes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh, btw Legatus pack went up a notch...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks bidenflation

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
These rationales on metrics and dev cycles reminds me of Robert McNamara and how body count justified involvement and the idea of “winning” in the Vietnam War.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dialhforhero posted:

These rationales on metrics and dev cycles reminds me of Robert McNamara and how body count justified involvement and the idea of “winning” in the Vietnam War.

That's unfair. At least the McNamara accounting logic had some historical precedent in the 13th century.

Now, citizen metrics on the other hand…

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

Dear Mr. Pisscat

Certain sections of the gaming community you mentioned view SC as a joke, because ALL sections of the gaming community view SC as a joke.

People also view Starfield as a very lackluster game. Starfield being bland doesn't make SC good.

I'll tell you what, playing Starfield's intro section did not cause me to get increasingly angry over a period of 30 minutes, ending in me quitting out of frustration or boredom. It wasn't very impressive sure but it didn't outright make me uninstall the game like SC after I had first failed to eat a burrito after several attempts, then fell off a platform I was trying to land on but the entry point was juuuuust shy of viable ground.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Only Kindness posted:

..for anyone that missed that episode

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Who among us doesn’t want to install a $20k space door in places though?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually don't necessarily disagree with this argument, the problem is that in Star Citizens case, it has completely cut out any accountability, financial supporters are left up poo poo creek over a game that is going to forever be in pre-alpha development with nothing to show for it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Normal game

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Maybe this is why they’re taking so long on the price change on sq42. You’ll be able to buy different levels of game quality. An all-star cast deserves an all-star price after all. If you upgrade to the Legatus sq42 package you’ll have Hamill, Anderson, Parpman etc. if you only pay $45 you’ll get a performances by Ben Lesnick, Carrot Top, and random programmer reading lines off the script in alphabetical order.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

- Hosted a 5-min segment during a live presentation at a gaming convention. Can provide references on request.

Objection! This is not a gaming convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

dialhforhero posted:

Who among us doesn’t want to install a $20k space door in places though?

Would I be the first in my neighborhood to have a space door? Because if so, I'm in. Where do I sign and what is a space door?