Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

I still get excited to see the lobster tank and I'm not ashamed to admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Lot of videos showing up in my yt feed like this. Imagine paying $140,000 for a truck lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZdOXfrLBoE

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Lot of videos showing up in my yt feed like this. Imagine paying $140,000 for a truck lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZdOXfrLBoE

i remember finding it ridiculous when my cousin bought a toyota tundra for like 30 something thousand back somewhere in the 2010s. just lol at how crazy truck prices have become since like, 2008? im interested in more data on that

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
If this means less tiny dick brodozers then I am okay with truck number going to the moon.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

biceps crimes posted:

i remember finding it ridiculous when my cousin bought a toyota tundra for like 30 something thousand back somewhere in the 2010s. just lol at how crazy truck prices have become since like, 2008? im interested in more data on that

Chevy is running a commercial right now about how they get how hard it is out there and that's why they are offering vehicles at an affordable price and one of the vehicles they show in the ad is a stripped down Colorado for $30k.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Wow, thanks Chevy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just saw a mini cooper suv the size of a outback stationwagon lol this country

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
consumer reports has trucks(the most popular cars in America) having the lowest reliably scores.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Crazy truck prices are great because there's literally zero argument for why anyone would ever need one of these quad cab short box dick extenders. No real utility or practicality, just a massive status symbol that's a shitshow for you and everyone around you. And people are taking on six figure debt to buy them.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Crazy truck prices are great because there's literally zero argument for why anyone would ever need one of these quad cab short box dick extenders. No real utility or practicality, just a massive status symbol that's a shitshow for you and everyone around you. And people are taking on six figure debt to buy them.

The guy across the street from me is retired and just bought a Silverado 2500 4x4. He really needs those 9000lbs of towing capacity to bring his groceries home every week

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

i just saw a mini cooper suv the size of a outback stationwagon lol this country

maxi cooper

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The base model mirrors now are as long as the towing mirrors were twenty years ago. They are manspreading but for roads instead of transit. Just people spending six figures to be obnoxious

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

give me a 40,000lb SUV that can't even get up to full speed between red lights or give me death

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Dec 23, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

The loving blinding headlights on those trucks keep me too damned close to road rage for comfort and render my optic nerves temporarily useless for micro-seconds. Oughta be a law.

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

consumer reports has trucks(the most popular cars in America) having the lowest reliably scores.

Their full-size SUV ratings are awesome, the Expedition / Suburban / Tahoe are all basically relics from twenty-five years ago and they still sell because the profit margin on ancient technology is immense

Rectal Death Alert posted:

give me a 40,000lb SUV that can't even get up to full speed between red lights or give me death

We'll do you one better, here's a SUV that weighs more than a Cessna Citation II business jet and does 0-60 in 2.9s

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev/pickup-trucks-suvs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Azuth0667 posted:

If this means less tiny dick brodozers then I am okay with truck number going to the moon.

They'll pay any price.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Good time to remind everyone this $2000 rattletrap exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRG0Wai4sR0

Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

They'll pay any price.

Balloon payments on real estate were one of the things that crashed the markets in 2008, they were a way to buy a house you couldn't afford in the hopes that the value would skyrocket before the last balloon payment came due. now we're doing them with trucks and BMWs.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Balloon payments on real estate were one of the things that crashed the markets in 2008, they were a way to buy a house you couldn't afford in the hopes that the value would skyrocket before the last balloon payment came due. now we're doing them with trucks and BMWs.

I'm sure I saw an article in this thread several months back about how subprime auto loans were exploding.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Downtown Chicago is following SF:

quote:

More Loop office landlords near defaults on $51M in loans

Ivor Braka and fellow downtown Chicago office landlord Alvarez & Marsal are staring down some ugly debt pictures.

Braka, a British art dealer, owes millions on one of three loans tied to Loop office buildings whose landlords are nearing defaults or were otherwise flagged by lenders for their eight-figure loans in recent weeks, as financial distress keeps roiling Chicago’s core business district in the wake of the pandemic.

Braka got caught up in the market’s turmoil back in 2004, when he paid just under $11 million to buy 332 South Michigan Avenue, a 326,000-square-foot office building. Now, the collector is facing “imminent default due to cash flow issues” on a $33 million loan he took out in 2016 using the property as collateral, according to loan servicer commentary compiled by DBRS Morningstar. The loan wasn’t scheduled to mature until 2026, and the Michigan Avenue property was appraised at more than $56 million when the debt was issued.

It was packaged up with other commercial real estate debts and sold off to investors in financial instruments, making details of the property’s performance public.

He’s not alone. At 205 West Randolph Street, the real estate arm of professional services firm Alvarez & Marsal is on a similar track and set to default due to cash flow problems, according to LNR Partners, the special servicer of the 199,000-square-foot property’s nearly $19 million debt. LNR began overseeing the debt this month, loan data provided to Morningstar shows.

Alvarez is nearing default on the debt that was taken out by an entirely different borrower in 2014. Alvarez took on the property for $29 million, when it was sold by Michigan-based Farbman Group, the original borrower in the deal. An Alvarez affiliate assumed the property’s nearly $19 million in debt as part of Farbman’s sale, and the loan is scheduled to mature in early 2025.

Representatives of Alvarez & Marsal did not respond to requests for comment, nor did Braka. Both loans are under special servicing by LNR Partners, which also didn’t return requests for comment.

Alvarez is another downtown Chicago office deal that’s worrying its creditor.

A lender that gave $35 million in 2015 to an Alvarez affiliate that owns 205 West Wacker Drive has watchlisted the loan, which was originated in 2015. Watchlisting a debt is a move usually made when there’s a growing chance the lender doesn’t get fully repaid.

Both 205 West Wacker and 205 West Randolph are 23-story office buildings, although the Wacker property has a larger footprint at 265,000 square feet. When Alvarez & Marsal bought the Randolph property in 2017, smaller, vintage buildings had been rising in value, local media reported.

But both that building and the Wacker Drive property have struggled to keep tenants. In 2019, the Randolph property was 80 percent occupied, before it came down to 63 percent leased last year, according to Morningstar data. It brought in just $100,000 in net cash flow last year, and cost far more for Alvarez to service its debt than the rental revenues it generated, Morningstar shows. Higher property tax costs were partly to blame, according to loan commentary.

At the Wacker Drive property, Salesforce’s exit contributed to its financial issues. The firm was a tenant in the building until leaving early in 2021 with a plan to move into the newly opened Salesforce office tower at Wolf Point overlooking the Chicago River.

While Salesforce paid a termination fee of $582,000, the building’s occupancy fell to 60.5 percent. Alvarez did a good job of refiling the space, and brought its occupancy back up to 75 percent as of the end of last year, according to loan servicer commentary, but it’s expected to decline again with the planned departure of two tenants, according to the loan servicer.

Last year, the Alvarez-owned building took in less than 70 percent of the net cash flow it needed from rent to cover its debt service, loan data shows.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2023/12/19/more-loop-office-landlords-near-defaults-on-51m-in-loans/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the popes toes posted:

The loving blinding headlights on those trucks keep me too damned close to road rage for comfort and render my optic nerves temporarily useless for micro-seconds. Oughta be a law.

riding just a little higher than sedan height makes it 1000x more bearable when suv lights come at you
i would not be surprised to learn that auto makers are making them especially punishing on sedan drivers to get them to buy a higher margin suv when they make their next purchase

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sonatinas posted:

lol @ BMW 4 series being more reliable than the GTI. Volkswagen what happen?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Nonsense posted:

lol @ BMW 4 series being more reliable than the GTI. Volkswagen what happen?

That 4-series is more reliable than basically every pickup truck on that list.

Apr 7, 2003

Consumer Reports uses subscriber self-reporting for those numbers too, so a large part of those scores is people spending $80K on a pickup and figuring out it's a real piece of poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao CR

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how did bmw's reputation for not breaking down survive their transition to making all their cars in the american south as cheaply as possible? is the rest of the market just worse than ever?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The hyper reliable cars have always been econoboxes with as few options as possible, and even the ones that still exist are incredibly hard to find on most lots. Like PFC said, those are largely self-reported numbers, so fewer people driving stripped down Civics means everything else looks a little better.

Also modern engines/transmissions are pretty reliable if you get one from an automaker that isn't completely poo poo, so that's fewer people suffering genuinely catastrophic failures at lower mileages. Essentially any car should make it well over 200k miles at this point unless you just really steadfastly refuse to ever fix anything.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Car of the future:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm heading to the Dollarama. need anything?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

All vehicle lights are loving out of control. Just million lumen LEDs slapped in there.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's thread favorite Mr. Pieceofshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKASgtr6kU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

how do they make his face look so creepy

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

how do they make his face look so creepy

turn on your monitor

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

SirPablo posted:

All vehicle lights are loving out of control. Just million lumen LEDs slapped in there.

I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback and I can’t drive at night. it’s just such a pain in the rear end to see poo poo when I’m blinded all the time. it’s even worse because there are 0 streetlights where I drive around in metro Detroit.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I haven't acted on the impulse, but I would love to test my theory on using a black trash bag to disable these robots.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback and I can’t drive at night. it’s just such a pain in the rear end to see poo poo when I’m blinded all the time. it’s even worse because there are 0 streetlights where I drive around in metro Detroit.

You can pretty quickly tell who drives a truck/lifted station wagon by how insistent they are that headlights aren't getting brighter and that anyone who complains must just be getting old. It's extremely obvious when driving around that the genuinely blinding headlights are all on tall, relatively cheap vehicles with poo poo aiming from the factory and no automatic adjustment system.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When the economy is very normal

balloon financing was all the rage in the late 90’s early 00’s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Been looking at trucks for work and i can find 0 options for a 2 seater with a big ol bed for plywood. If I ever do end up getting a truck, it will be one of those giant junk wagons out of necessity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Been looking at trucks for work and i can find 0 options for a 2 seater with a big ol bed for plywood. If I ever do end up getting a truck, it will be one of those giant junk wagons out of necessity.

can you buy a failed vanlife influencers converted sprinter van and strip it back down to a empty box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

get a transit

minivans will also hold a sheet of plywood