Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Functionally it's the same thing.

No it isn't. Why can't you grasp the concept that it's not a "CBT dodge" at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

actually, literally no other team could do what the dodgers did SPECIFICALLY WITH OHTANI because they are not located in Southern California, the only place he would play.
I still think this is overblown. He wants to win, and believes the Dodgers give him the best chance to do that over the entire 10 years. Yamamoto also wants to win, and wants to play with his friend Ohtani.

I think other teams could have signed both of them, but to do so they would have needed to build a premier player development pipeline over the previous 8 years, and be willing to spend the money. There are other teams with similar player dev systems, and other teams willing to spend, but not really any others who have both to this same level.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I think it's 30% CBT fuckery, 70% the Wilpons trying to win on interest with Bobby Bonilla. Except this time they will win because MLBPA is run by a journeyman first baseman instead of an actual labor lawyer and the Dodgers are run by a group that doesn't need to fall victim to a Ponzi scheme to make their money have a profane number of money babies.

Ohtani comes ahead in this deal because jfc $700MM, Dodger fans come ahead in this deal because you got Babe Ruth But With Integration, but Guggenheim is who really won it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

If you don't want to have snowball fights with Miggy you are not welcome in Detroit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rob Manfred should step in on specific player transactions to shape the game. Like he did when he told Miami to trade Stanton to the Yankees.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

bawfuls posted:

Rob Manfred should step in on specific player transactions to shape the game. Like he did when he told Miami to trade Stanton to the Yankees.

See? You’re getting it!

Also add the Ohtani deal to crimes.xlsx please

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I wish he would have voided that trade, they'd be better off for it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

please to not impugn the sanctity of crimes.xlsx by suggesting the Ohtani deal belongs there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I still think this is overblown. He wants to win, and believes the Dodgers give him the best chance to do that over the entire 10 years. Yamamoto also wants to win, and wants to play with his friend Ohtani.

I think other teams could have signed both of them, but to do so they would have needed to build a premier player development pipeline over the previous 8 years, and be willing to spend the money. There are other teams with similar player dev systems, and other teams willing to spend, but not really any others who have both to this same level.

he also would not play in a cold weather city that did not have a dome

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
In his defense, I moved to and then from a Mediterranean climate and regret it daily. If someone offered me $700MM to live there instead of *checks notes* a city that often goes below zero with windchill or another city that smells like garbage 3/4 of the year, it’s not the hardest choice.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
its gonna rule in 10 years when the dodgers are running roughshod over the rest of mlb with a roster made up exclusively players from the ring of fire, just all guys from the west coasts of the Americas and Pacific Islanders

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Devils Kovalchuk contract is not at all the same. There were 7 fake years tacked onto the loving thing and it was done after the NHL had warned teams to stop doing that.

And then they got their first round pick back plus half the fine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

the reaction to ohtani and yamamoto both basically choosing their team and allowing LA to match all offers because they wouldn't really consider playing anywhere else and then wanting a salary cap to help small market teams: guess what happened in the NBA when they put in a cap and a max contract. when every team can offer pretty much the exact same money to every elite player, guess what cities they decide to play in.

And I'm gonna be rooting hard against the Dodgers for the same reason I rooted hard against the Heat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And I'm gonna be rooting hard against the Dodgers for the same reason I rooted hard against the Heat.

The reason to root against the Heat was Lebron is a loser, and even then Dwayne Wade was cool so it kind of balanced it out.

Who is there to hate on the Dodgers?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Every team has hateable players if you try hard enough. Hell, Mookie Betts said nice things about Trevor Bauer just a few months ago.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

am I the only cubsposter who is gonna root for the dodgers? I wanna see ohtani win like, several.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nodoze posted:

The reason to root against the Heat was Lebron is a loser, and even then Dwayne Wade was cool so it kind of balanced it out.

Who is there to hate on the Dodgers?

It's not about hating players, but hating Superteams.

I mean, look at how everyone cheered for the loving LeBron-led Cavs in 2016 against the SuperTeam Warriors, and that was even BEFORE the Warriors went and added KD.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Nodoze posted:

lol and lmao

That would be incredibly stupid. Come on mcmagic, be reasonable here

Do you really want loving Rob Manfred deciding what contacts should and shouldn't be allowed? jesus christ

Lol, they did when they decided the Padres shouldn't be able to sign Aaron Judge

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thankfully it's a lot harder for Baseball SuperTeams to have the same results as the NBA.

There's basically the same equal chance that Ohtani breaks a ton of records, as there is a bird looks at him wrong every year or two and he snaps something somewhere.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I'm not scared, the Giants got their superstar who has never seen a 94+ mph fastball (I am very scared)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Devils Kovalchuk contract is not at all the same. There were 7 fake years tacked onto the loving thing and it was done after the NHL had warned teams to stop doing that.

And then they got their first round pick back plus half the fine.

7 fake years..... 10 fake years.......

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Deferrals aren't fake years.

If the contract had been reported as 10/460 as it should have been no one would have an issue with it.

Like there's literal cba language on how this works where as the NHL had told teams to stop adding fake years on the end of contracts that players and teams never intended for players to play.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

… and that was even BEFORE the Warriors went and added KD.

Never exclude that he ran to Golden State after they beat him in a WCF that went to seven.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

more falafel please posted:

am I the only cubsposter who is gonna root for the dodgers? I wanna see ohtani win like, several.

I will also be on this train. After the Cubs are out of it I usually just end up rooting for the coolest players alive in the postseason. In the past it’s been Schwarber and Harper but now it’s likely Ohtani for the next ten years.

At some point it will turn for me, like it did with the Spurs and Duncan/Manu/Pop, but let’s see them win one with Ohtani first.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Hear, hear! I'm acutely mad at the Yankees for fumbling Yamamoto this hard.

I'm curious what you mean by "fumbled" in this instance, because from my vantage point the Yankees offered the best contract (a massive overpay at that) and was never given even a chance to try and negotiate an even higher offer by Yamamoto's camp because it was painfully clear that his plan was always to extract as much as he could from the Dodgers specifically as opposed to actually trying to negotiate the best contract for himself.

Like, what else were the Yankees supposed to do other than overpay him even harder initially?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm not scared, the Giants got their superstar who has never seen a 94+ mph fastball (I am very scared)

its fine everything is fine.. gently caress

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
On the plus side, when the Dodgers choke it away in the playoffs and the Astros decide not to bring Bregman back I'll get to see bawfuls cheering for Bregman in 2025

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You made that joke about Correa too but the Dodgers even said at the time they weren't pursuing him because they didn't think the fans would like it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bregor posted:

I will also be on this train. After the Cubs are out of it I usually just end up rooting for the coolest players alive in the postseason. In the past it’s been Schwarber and Harper but now it’s likely Ohtani for the next ten years.

At some point it will turn for me, like it did with the Spurs and Duncan/Manu/Pop, but let’s see them win one with Ohtani first.

It's also that outside of a few questionable decisions about starting pitchers, the Dodgers as an organization have done just about everything right in the last decade. They spend on payroll, but they also spend like crazy on player dev, coaching, etc. They're basically the model for what a large market team should look like, except no other large market team does look like that. I've been wanting the Cubs to operate like that since the Ricketts took over, basically. So like, it's hard to not want them to succeed, especially when you look up and down their lineup and see guys you want to root for.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

more falafel please posted:

So like, it's hard to not want them to succeed

It's pretty easy actually.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1738689424051863957

stupid shitheads

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao this is pathetic

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dameius posted:

It's pretty easy actually.

:agreed:

lmao

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Poverty franchise

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lol, you love to see it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Brian Cashman believes in manifesting what the market for FA's are with vibes.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
SELL THE TEAM HAL

I’m legit flabbergasted that a bunch of sociopaths making the money they do can’t figure out that this is a horrible excuse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

SELL THE TEAM HAL

I’m legit flabbergasted that a bunch of sociopaths making the money they do can’t figure out that this is a horrible excuse.

The entire organization is completely incompetent and up their own asses. They legitimately think they are doing a great job with everything and are just unlucky with injuries or something like that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

R.D. Mangles posted:

the reaction to ohtani and yamamoto both basically choosing their team and allowing LA to match all offers because they wouldn't really consider playing anywhere else and then wanting a salary cap to help small market teams: guess what happened in the NBA when they put in a cap and a max contract. when every team can offer pretty much the exact same money to every elite player, guess what cities they decide to play in.

This is an excellent point. Forced parity just means Bradley Beal is on an an insanely tilted supermax deal, not that the Pacers are suddenly in the running to get KD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Like just imagine this thread over the past few years if Guggenheim ran the Yankees. Judge in right, Cole at No. 1, Betts would be playing second base, Freeman at first, a homegrown catcher that isn’t dogshit, and Ohtanamoto this offseason.

It’d be just a bunch of cubsposts and the Yankee gif and Bernie would be president