Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

poisonpill posted:

why isn’t the US launching rockets at random targets in Yemen; like when Hillary went nuts on Libya to help her run for president?

The US is out. Clawing back Patriot interceptors from Japan and poo poo. Do you think if the US had capacity they wouldn't be going dick, balls, taint, and rear end deep in another pointless bombing campaign rn?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Killing Jelq posted:

Houthi and the Blowback

instant classic of a post right here

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeATuB3DVvo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dying empire's art of the deal: I get paid, you get wunderwaffe trash delivered in 2040 and get destroyed by houthis again in the meantime. Maybe i wouldn't bomb your pipelines and freeze your assets this time too

"what, no? no one wants capitalism anymore! :qq:"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s crazy how little I actually know about the history of yemen, basically the whole obama presidency is filled with west wing dumbassness in my head

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

the reasoning is most likely that if you just protect your own poo poo then ansar allah is content to leave you alone, but if you go along with an overt us operation then your poo poo is also fair game

im loving the implied american projection of ansarallah wont keep to their word when they said they only target zionist affiliated vessels

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s crazy how little I actually know about the history of yemen, basically the whole obama presidency is filled with west wing dumbassness in my head

In 2011 Obama assassinated this 16 year old kid in Yemen who happened to be an American citizen two weeks after assassinating his dad, who was also an American citizen, neither of whom got a trial obviously. I think the kid was still there because he had nowhere to go after America blew his dad up and he was in the care of some other guy who was also assassinated.

If I had to point to one specific event that made it impossible for me to really follow the John Stewart style crocodile tears "progressive liberal" path I think it was that, and in the aftermath how basically nobody around me had any problem with using remote control air strikes to kill children who are theoretically under protection of American law. At that point I started to get the picture that the rule of law and the Democrats' fake-rear end ideology is a farce, that capitalist imperialist state will murder, torture, starve, and genocide anyone that gets in its way regardless of what their own rules say and vote blue people don't give a moment of a gently caress about that beyond using those horrific acts as campaign slogans when team red does them.

Obviously the kid being an American didn't make him any more deserving of life than all the Yemeni kids that the US blew up and starved to death but the fact that he was one just blew the blinders straight off my face.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

In 2011 Obama assassinated this 16 year old kid in Yemen who happened to be an American citizen two weeks after assassinating his dad, who was also an American citizen, neither of whom got a trial obviously. I think the kid was still there because he had nowhere to go after America blew his dad up and he was in the care of some other guy who was also assassinated.

If I had to point to one specific event that made it impossible for me to really follow the John Stewart style crocodile tears "progressive liberal" path I think it was that, and in the aftermath how basically nobody around me had any problem with using remote control air strikes to kill children who are theoretically under protection of American law. At that point I started to get the picture that the rule of law and the Democrats' fake-rear end ideology is a farce, that capitalist imperialist state will murder, torture, starve, and genocide anyone that gets in its way regardless of what their own rules say and vote blue people don't give a moment of a gently caress about that beyond using those horrific acts as campaign slogans when team red does them.

Obviously the kid being an American didn't make him any more deserving of life than all the Yemeni kids that the US blew up and starved to death but the fact that he was one just blew the blinders straight off my face.

lol I remember this now that you bring it up. i had come from the right, initially drawn to obamas tough talk on torture but disillusioned by how he quickly folded on that. unfortunately I was too comfortable to make it past democratic party liberalism so I recall this as another unfortunate bad thing that probably means something worse, but without a deeper analysis it ultimately washed over my liberal mind and vanished until you brought it up a dozen years later.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The Hungarian government has joined forces with Rheinmetall to develop the Panther KF51 through to production maturity. A contract to this effect has now been signed in Zalaegerszeg, Hungary. The development contract is worth around €288 million. A demonstrator vehicle will be constructed and qualified, paving the way to full-scale production. Rheinmetall is cooperating in the project with the state-owned Hungarian holding company N7, which also holds a 49 percent stake in the joint venture Rheinmetall Hungary.

“We’re delighted to have reached another important milestone on the path to producing next-generation fighting vehicles in Hungary”, declares Armin Papperger, CEO of Rheinmetall. “The Panther KF51 is the world's most advanced main battle tank. It sets a new standard for the combat effectiveness of mechanized formations, while delivering a high degree of future adaptability. At the same time, in our accustomed manner, we’ll be empowering our local Joint Venture Rheinmetall Hungary and further strengthen the national defence industrial capabilities of our partners.”

Moving forward together as partners, Hungary and Rheinmetall will jointly develop and prepare for full production the next-generation tank whose concept Rheinmetall first presented to the world public at Eurosatory 2022 trade fair.  Unlike the system demonstrator on show at Eurosatory, the Panther KF51 EVO will be armed with Rheinmetall’s tried-and-tested L55A1 120mm smoothbore gun, which also features in the latest variants of the Leopard 2. This will ensure logistical homogeneity with Hungary’s existing fleet of Leopard 2 tanks. Nevertheless, the Panther KF51 EVO will already be equipped with an autoloader. Moreover, the turret architecture will enable subsequent retrofitting of Rheinmetall’s new 130mm gun.  

The Panther K51 possesses a high degree of digitalization and networkability. Furthermore, new force protection technologies like the standoff protection system StrikeShield will enable a low aggregate weight. Its chassis is based on the Buffalo armoured recovery vehicle, supplied by Rheinmetall. In combination with the tank’s low total weight, this contributes to the Panther KF51’s high mobility, while simultaneously resulting in synergy effects in logistics, maintenance and training owing to commonalities with the Leopard 2 family.

The basic crew of the Panther KF51 consists of three soldiers: the commander, gunner and driver. A fourth station, in front on the lefthand side of the bow, is reserved for a subsystem operator. A company or battalion commander can also use it as a mobile command post.

Sauce: https://www.rheinmetall.com/en/media/news-watch/news/2023/12/2023-12-15-panther-developement-contract-hungary

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

This prosperity guardian poo poo is legit baffling, wtf is going on ("lol empire in decline")

I'm thinking behind the scenes pretty much the entire world is going "gently caress Israel and by extension the US we aren't risking our rear end for them" and nobody wants to be the first to say what everyone is thinking.

I think an element of it is the empire's vassals are really in such a poor state they just can't send expeditionary naval forces. You have a frigate but is it fully armed and working? Is there a crew? How about replenishment? Do you have others ready to rotate in? Can you shoot down something more than maybe a single Mirage fighter dating from the 1970s? How many interceptors do you actually have in storage? Can you even afford to replace anything up to and including the frigate itself if lost or damaged?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

The Hungarian government has joined forces with Rheinmetall to develop the Panther KF51 through to production maturity. A contract to this effect has now been signed in Zalaegerszeg, Hungary. The development contract is worth around €288 million. A demonstrator vehicle will be constructed and qualified, paving the way to full-scale production. Rheinmetall is cooperating in the project with the state-owned Hungarian holding company N7, which also holds a 49 percent stake in the joint venture Rheinmetall Hungary.

“We’re delighted to have reached another important milestone on the path to producing next-generation fighting vehicles in Hungary”, declares Armin Papperger, CEO of Rheinmetall. “The Panther KF51 is the world's most advanced main battle tank. It sets a new standard for the combat effectiveness of mechanized formations, while delivering a high degree of future adaptability. At the same time, in our accustomed manner, we’ll be empowering our local Joint Venture Rheinmetall Hungary and further strengthen the national defence industrial capabilities of our partners.”

Moving forward together as partners, Hungary and Rheinmetall will jointly develop and prepare for full production the next-generation tank whose concept Rheinmetall first presented to the world public at Eurosatory 2022 trade fair.  Unlike the system demonstrator on show at Eurosatory, the Panther KF51 EVO will be armed with Rheinmetall’s tried-and-tested L55A1 120mm smoothbore gun, which also features in the latest variants of the Leopard 2. This will ensure logistical homogeneity with Hungary’s existing fleet of Leopard 2 tanks. Nevertheless, the Panther KF51 EVO will already be equipped with an autoloader. Moreover, the turret architecture will enable subsequent retrofitting of Rheinmetall’s new 130mm gun.  

The Panther K51 possesses a high degree of digitalization and networkability. Furthermore, new force protection technologies like the standoff protection system StrikeShield will enable a low aggregate weight. Its chassis is based on the Buffalo armoured recovery vehicle, supplied by Rheinmetall. In combination with the tank’s low total weight, this contributes to the Panther KF51’s high mobility, while simultaneously resulting in synergy effects in logistics, maintenance and training owing to commonalities with the Leopard 2 family.

The basic crew of the Panther KF51 consists of three soldiers: the commander, gunner and driver. A fourth station, in front on the lefthand side of the bow, is reserved for a subsystem operator. A company or battalion commander can also use it as a mobile command post.

Sauce: https://www.rheinmetall.com/en/media/news-watch/news/2023/12/2023-12-15-panther-developement-contract-hungary

I'm sure the dozen production versions that finally get delivered in 2050 will be excellent for a war fought in 1970.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

abdulrahman al-awlaki yeah, i'll never forget the name

did the same thing to me just, completely and blatantly unjustifiable no matter what contortions i tried to put my brain through

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There was also the dumb liberal turn on Yemen with Trump. Obama war criming against Yemen = cool no problem don't be a child that's just the reality of the world and what America must do. Trump approves a special forces operation in Yemen = awful military aggression he got one of our boys killed :cry:

There's no morality in any of it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It was okay to murder an American citizen without trial because it was in “combat” against a warring power.
What’s that? We haven’t declared war on Yemen? We haven’t declared war on anyone in 70 years? It was a drone strike and no one was actually engaging in hostilities? He was just sitting around and not actually engaged in hostile action? There wasn’t a battle or anything?

Of course now that they’ve “admitted” it was “collateral damage” while assassinating someone else that immediately makes it beyond reproach.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was just remembering how many people said it was crazy to think NK could actually hold off the US if they invaded and the only problem for the US would be the bloody years of occupation. We'd win the war but lose the occupation!! Funny to think how quickly into that invasion the US would have run out of poo poo while NK would still be humming along with its 'antiquated' 20th century military focused on shells and volume of fire.

Maybe needing shells to use against someone else might get the US to finally make peace with NK. Hat in hand please sir can I buy some shells?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

the reasoning is most likely that if you just protect your own poo poo then ansar allah is content to leave you alone, but if you go along with an overt us operation then your poo poo is also fair game

Yeah as far as I am aware they are only targeting shipping either owned by Israelis or headed to an Israeli port and that’s only a fraction of the shipping that goes through that area. So everybody is telling the US to gently caress off and deal with thier own shipping (and that of the state that they are a vassal of) rather than get drawn in to it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was just remembering how many people said it was crazy to think NK could actually hold off the US if they invaded and the only problem for the US would be the bloody years of occupation. We'd win the war but lose the occupation!! Funny to think how quickly into that invasion the US would have run out of poo poo while NK would still be humming along with its 'antiquated' 20th century military focused on shells and volume of fire.

Maybe needing shells to use against someone else might get the US to finally make peace with NK. Hat in hand please sir can I buy some shells?

the mighty BTS army would hold off the million shells raining into seoul

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wonder what will happen in this scenario if NK says "yeah sure, but you're paying in precious metals hard currency not paper dollars"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DancingShade posted:

I wonder what will happen in this scenario if NK says "yeah sure, but you're paying in precious metals hard currency not paper dollars"

the government does a buyback program for gold and silver, finally proving ron paul right

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the sassy option is demanding payment in yuan. Max sassy is payment in materials important to their nuclear program lol

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
The clear solution here is for the US to buy shells from DPRK before invading.

Also the al-awlaki murders were a crack ping for me as well. I remember talking about it with my liberal bosses at my first real job during some other discussion and they handwaved it away for some reason involving a movie they saw. Pricks. Awful people, awful company, death to the small business cult in America.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Bosch posted:

Also the al-awlaki murders were a crack ping for me as well. I remember talking about it with my liberal bosses at my first real job during some other discussion and they handwaved it away for some reason involving a movie they saw. Pricks. Awful people, awful company, death to the small business cult in America.

The unspoken reason why everyone was okay with his murder was American exceptionalism.

Also known as "Well he has one of them funny sounding foreign names, right?".

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Admiral Bosch posted:

nah they will keep finding the next gullible idiot proxy like ukraine to do the dirty work that will never come

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

nah they will keep finding the next gullible idiot proxy like ukraine to do the dirty work that will never come

I think Finland is the plan but the reality on the ground may not measure up to the powerpoint presentation.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

The unspoken reason why everyone was okay with his murder was American exceptionalism.

Also known as "Well he has one of them funny sounding foreign names, right?".

Remember that time Trump had a death squad execute a guy during the Portland protests because he was accused of shooting a proud boy?

People will rationalize every hit, whatever way they want. You think it'll matter that they're American or white or whatever but it won't. America kills at will.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

I think an element of it is the empire's vassals are really in such a poor state they just can't send expeditionary naval forces. You have a frigate but is it fully armed and working? Is there a crew? How about replenishment? Do you have others ready to rotate in? Can you shoot down something more than maybe a single Mirage fighter dating from the 1970s? How many interceptors do you actually have in storage? Can you even afford to replace anything up to and including the frigate itself if lost or damaged?

Yeah, last time I looked, the UK's Royal Navy had 19 fighting ships (lol), of which about half were currently in a fit state to take part in military missions (double lol). The sinking of a single frigate would be a disastrous loss (triple lol).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
*frigate of the most loyal empire hound sunk by ansarallah*

*sound of crickets heard*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, last time I looked, the UK's Royal Navy had 19 fighting ships (lol), of which about half were currently in a fit state to take part in military missions (double lol). The sinking of a single frigate would be a disastrous loss (triple lol).

OCEANS ARE NOW BATTLEFIELDS. but not for you lol.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Killing Jelq posted:

Houthi and the Blowback

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Marxist Lockheed Martin employees' decades long quest to shatter Western carrier aviation has finally borne fruit

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lol if the us gets its nose bloodied by yemen while trying to convince the world they can take on china

lol, lmao

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tanker hit off India coast by drone from Iran, says US https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67811929

Oh, cool. Didn’t expect Threads by Christmas Day, but whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Tanker hit off India coast by drone from Iran, says US https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67811929

Oh, cool. Didn’t expect Threads by Christmas Day, but whatever.

Oh please. All the civil defence stuff from Threads has been long sold off by now.

The movie ends with carpenter guy hiding under truck as nuke lands, also lady who pisses herself. No other scenes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Delta-Wye posted:

lol if the us gets its nose bloodied by yemen while trying to convince the world they can take on china

lol, lmao

The recent events have really bought home to me the absolute hubris of the USA thinking it can start a war with China, and win. All those thinktank articles co-authored by generals and admirals, grandly musing about whether it would be preferable for the USA to 'deal' with China immediately or wait until 2025 etc etc lol.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DancingShade posted:

Oh please. All the civil defence stuff from Threads has been long sold off by now.

The movie ends with carpenter guy hiding under truck as nuke lands, also lady who pisses herself. No other scenes.

But we got that one warship we can send.

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pistol_Pete posted:

The recent events have really bought home to me the absolute hubris of the USA thinking it can start a war with China, and win. All those thinktank articles co-authored by generals and admirals, grandly musing about whether it would be preferable for the USA to 'deal' with China immediately or wait until 2025 etc etc lol.

i think they should more worried whether the eurocucks and the east asian colonies are gonna even make it economically to 2025

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But we got that one warship we can send.

lol

A nuclear war in the UK today would simply be every man for himself on the surface, while the most senior government figures hide in a bunker deep under London and try to work out how they can make a profit from all this.

(They quickly suffocate, because the maintenance of the air supply has been contracted out to a friend of a friend's company, and no actual work has been done for years.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
for a western navy the loss of a regular-rear end warship is a disaster of such proportions that you can't even risk sending one into contested waters

meanwhile china has built about 30 state of the art destroyers in like ten years plus eight of those missile cruisers with more on the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China can build a destroyer faster than Raytheon can build a missile to destroy it with